I hate lifting

Options
124»

Replies

• crossfit_lover
    crossfit_lover Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've come to CRAVE Lifting but originally was very apprehensive, mostly due to a lack of knowledge and experience. When it comes to sweating, if I'm not doing so then F*(& the whole process. That's just me...oh and I can't stop looking at a woman with definition...
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    There are many things in life that I hate doing:
    -I don't enjoy lifting weights
    -I hate taking showers
    -I hate shaving my legs
    -I hate waking in the morning
    -I hate cooking
    -I hate not being able to eat brownies and ice cream every day
    -I hate going to the dentist
    -I hate studying ALL THE FREAKING TIME (I'm in law school lol)
    -I hate cleaning

I HATE how expensive law school is in the first place!
    Freaking ABA racket, grad school was the much much cheaper alternative.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    awesome!! swimming is great did wonders for phelps!!:)

More like Phelps did wonders for swimming.

http://www.motleyhealth.com/athletes/michael-phelps-greatest-olympic-swimmer-workouts-and-diet

Phelps recently added a weightlifting regimen to his dry-land work, which is evident by his ripped six pack abs and body. He lifts weights 3 days a week, preferably on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. [/B}However, Phelps prefers bodyweight exercises like pushups and weighted pull-ups for muscular strength and endurance. These bodyweight exercises won't bulk Phelps up like if he were doing more compound based weight exercises (squats, deadlifts, bench press, etc.). Weight training should be done but should not be a basis. Phelps keeps a great balance between bodyweight exercises and weight exercises. Relying more on bodyweight exercises will keep Phelps lean and will not add too much additional weight where it could affect his swimming speed and movement in the water. The less weight you have to drag in the water, the quicker you can swim.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

http://www.motleyhealth.com/athletes/michael-phelps-greatest-olympic-swimmer-workouts-and-diet

Phelps recently added a weightlifting regimen to his dry-land work, which is evident by his ripped six pack abs and body. He lifts weights 3 days a week, preferably on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. [/B}However, Phelps prefers bodyweight exercises like pushups and weighted pull-ups for muscular strength and endurance. These bodyweight exercises won't bulk Phelps up like if he were doing more compound based weight exercises (squats, deadlifts, bench press, etc.). Weight training should be done but should not be a basis. Phelps keeps a great balance between bodyweight exercises and weight exercises. Relying more on bodyweight exercises will keep Phelps lean and will not add too much additional weight where it could affect his swimming speed and movement in the water. The less weight you have to drag in the water, the quicker you can swim.

That's one of the dumbest quotes I've ever read. Phelps presumably didn't do heavy lifting much because he didn't need great strength - he needed endurance. It's stupid to think you'll "bulk up" lifting heavy if you're not adding mass. You don't add weight by lifting heavy; you add weight by eating too much.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    DOM's / aches and pains usually stop after 1 or 2 weeks of weight training. Its just a shock to your system. It will subside pretty quickly.
  • kentan523
    kentan523 Posts: 1
    Options
    I do too. I've just been doing self-weight exercises like push-ups and pull-ups. What I hate about weight lifting is changing the weights, since I have those type of barbells. It is so tedious.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You do not have very much weigh to lose, so LBM retention is less of an issue. Swimming is a great exercise. If you do not like lifting, then don't. However, there are a lot of health benefits to doing a progressive resistance program, most notably is with regard to bone density - particularly important for women to stave off osteoporosis.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    To each their own, I LOVE lifting, I love the soreness, and I love to sweat it out. I hate the cardio portion, but I suck it up and get done what needs doing.
  • pinkmangoes
    Options
    I hate lifting too but Love the results.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Thanks man, need a good chuckle......
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    So some like doing things sub optimally. Good for you. I prefer results...
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    You don't add weight by lifting heavy; you add weight by eating too much.

This belongs on a t-shirt.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...for tips on how not to suddenly and accidentally have an Olympic athlete's body.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    You can do cardio and not sweat? Amazing. How DO you do it?
    I hate lifting too, but right now I have to due to a bum knee. I'm looking forward to getting back to my "cardio bunny" status. (hat tip to Iamsmiling)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Strength training not only makes you look good..it's fantastic for strengthening your bones.

I won't have brittle bones when I get older.

THIS. Or that hump that old people get because their skeleton starts to slope forward.

So do it anyway.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Strength training not only makes you look good..it's fantastic for strengthening your bones.

I won't have brittle bones when I get older.

THIS. Or that hump that old people get because their skeleton starts to slope forward.

So do it anyway.

ugh, Dowager's hump...I live in fear...and THAT is my motivation for lifting. Not to look sexy or fit my clothes better, but to avoid that hump.