Worst Wedding You've Ever Attended

Options

Replies

• thekern
    thekern Posts: 21
    Options

I ate cake with my bare hands because I love cake that much.

LOL, I think I love you.

I haven't been to any HORRIBLE weddings, but I've been to some where I've "called it" - when I don't think they'll last.

Things I hate at weddings:
    Cash bar - tacky. I don't even drink and I hate them.
    When you can't hear the bride and groom say their vows - that's what your guests are coming to celebrate; let them hear it!
    Seating issues... if you have all the inside tables "reserved for family" and make most of the guests sit outside, they'll feel like they're unimportant. If you have to do that, don't invite those deemed not important enough to sit inside.
  • samanthawardle31
    samanthawardle31 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Oh wait, no, I forgot about the time I was seated with all the children at the wedding, while my husband was best man on the top table (we were not married at the time, so I had non status I suppose). I had a really good time entertaining the kids though, while the adults struggled to make conversation, and my husband kept leaving his seat to talk to me, so there to the thoughtless bride and groom!
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Years ago, I was invited to a wedding that had been organised in 5 weeks. I felt a bit sorry for the bride who didnt have much and loaned her my daughters bridesmaid dress for her daughter. After the brief ceremony in the registry office, we all paid for our own meals in a local pub, and one of her relatives told my 4 year old off for leaving some of her food (I was not impressed!) A buffet was provided at the evening reception and it looked lovely but only 6 people turned up! (there had only been 5 at the wedding!) It was awful. 3 months later, yes, 3 months, they split up, and she returned a ruined, torn bridesmaid dress without a word of apology.

However, I wouldn't expect a free bar, I think a free bar just encourages excess. And I wouldn't criticise a wedding that has usually been planned carefully, even if aspects of the wedding were not to my personal taste. Its the height of bad manners as far as I am concerned. I loved my small wedding, because I married the man I loved, and that's what matters.

Not necessarily...When you have a cash bar, it's just like inviting guests into your home and setting a bottle of wine out on the coffee table and saying "that will be $4 a glass".....At a wedding, it's the same thing. You are hosting your guests....you wouldn't expect your guests to pay for their drinks in your home, so why would you at your wedding? If you can't afford to host your guests with alcohol, don't have it...there are other options...or invite less people.
  • thekern
    thekern Posts: 21
    Options

Bad DJ or No DJ/band- You really don't realize how much a DJ moves the party along. They announce dances, toasts, open the floor. I had one friend that just let music that her and her husband had put on their itunes play. No one danced, and it was pretty lame. Another friend had a bad DJ that didn't announce the money dance or cake cutting until half the people had already left.

I second this. We didn't have a DJ, just a speaker and a playlist and only one couple danced, that I remember.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Ya! I hate when they play a bunch of those crappy *kitten* YMCA and Brown-Eyed Girl type songs too...None of that *kitten* is going to be played at mine...Ugh..makes me itchy thinking about it.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Years ago, I was invited to a wedding that had been organised in 5 weeks. I felt a bit sorry for the bride who didnt have much and loaned her my daughters bridesmaid dress for her daughter. After the brief ceremony in the registry office, we all paid for our own meals in a local pub, and one of her relatives told my 4 year old off for leaving some of her food (I was not impressed!) A buffet was provided at the evening reception and it looked lovely but only 6 people turned up! (there had only been 5 at the wedding!) It was awful. 3 months later, yes, 3 months, they split up, and she returned a ruined, torn bridesmaid dress without a word of apology.

However, I wouldn't expect a free bar, I think a free bar just encourages excess. And I wouldn't criticise a wedding that has usually been planned carefully, even if aspects of the wedding were not to my personal taste. Its the height of bad manners as far as I am concerned. I loved my small wedding, because I married the man I loved, and that's what matters.

Not necessarily...When you have a cash bar, it's just like inviting guests into your home and setting a bottle of wine out on the coffee table and saying "that will be $4 a glass".....At a wedding, it's the same thing. You are hosting your guests....you wouldn't expect your guests to pay for their drinks in your home, so why would you at your wedding? If you can't afford to host your guests with alcohol, don't have it...there are other options...or invite less people.

I had 300 people at my wedding and provided wine, champagne and beer with the meal but for the evening reception it was a cash bar. Sorry, but funds didn't stretch that far!
  • gallerygirl21
    gallerygirl21 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    No matter how much you plan, it will never be perfect. Just try your best to enjoy it and don't stress over all these details. Life is way too short.
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    How could ANY wedding be bad. You get drunk while celebrating the end of someones life as they know it.

Oh wait.
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, I went to a wedding where the speeches went on for almost 2 hours! Then, to make things worse, after speeches they played a photo slideshow...another 25 minutes of looking at awkward family photos, ugh. During this time, there were no appetizers and not even bread on the table to nibble on. Dinner wasn't served until after 8pm and the food was terrible to boot!

No one wants to hear speeches from every single person in the wedding party, try to keep it to Mom/Dad, Best Man/Maid of Honor & Bride/Groom. Get on with the dancing already :)
  • AbigailClarke48
    Options
    Well, I am not sure this qualifies as 'etiquette issue', but when the time came for the mother/son dance for the groom who was a long time family friend, slowly.....slowly......Pink Floyd's hit 'Mother' came on - I think everyone went into a state of surreal disbelief. Mother and Son seemed quite happy. If you don't know the song, look up the words. :)

My father and daughter dance was Sweet Child o' Mine by guns and roses.

My mother in law wanted to dance to Harper Valley PTA. She joked about it for almost year and DH kept saying NO! lol

Awww. That's kind of sweet when I read the actual words :) And I have never heard of Harper Valley PTA!
  • TheresaTester
    TheresaTester Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I went to 2 weddings (same bride :smile: ) both times cash bar, and nibbles only and nothing gluten free:sad:

both weddings had big delays

anyone can add me

~commenting on this person's beautiful photo~it's lovely~like a princess~

To add to the thread...
    I did attend one wedding that had an unruly child running around the dinner reception area. She ran into the cake table and the top tiers of the cake came down. One guest was the unlucky recipient of the toppling. At least the base of the cake was able to be salvaged. The bride was horrified, but did not say anything, as the child was a member of the groom's close family.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Ya! I hate when they play a bunch of those crappy *kitten* YMCA and Brown-Eyed Girl type songs too...None of that *kitten* is going to be played at mine...Ugh..makes me itchy thinking about it.
    after bartending at weddings for so many years, I had probably one of the pickiest "do not play" lists ever....but my DJ was fantastic about sticking to my requests. People WILL likely ask him/her to play some of that stuff you don't want to hear, so make sure you're very clear about what you do and do not want. However...do be cognizant of the age range of your guests, and try to agree on some songs that everyone can dance too (if you only let them play one genre of music, the older generations aren't going to have as much fun, because they won't want to dance to that stuff).
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I attend the weddings of my friends and family to celebrate the couple getting married, not to get free drinks, eat awesome food, or listen to great tunes. Get over yourself.

It's also poor etiquette to critique the etiquette of others. If you don't care for how you were invite or that others were left out, respectfully decline the invitation.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options

There were a few songs that my wife & I requested NOT to be played. YMCA was one of them. There was an Eric Clapton song that I requested not to be played either, can't think of the name off hand, but it was a song that I seemed to hear at every single wedding that I've been to. There were several others, but I don't think anyone noticed that they weren't played.
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I attend the weddings of my friends and family to celebrate the couple getting married, not to get free drinks, eat awesome food, or listen to great tunes. Get over yourself.

It's also poor etiquette to critique the etiquette of others. If you don't care for how you were invite or that others were left out, respectfully decline the invitation.

Something tells me you have hosted a ****ty wedding.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!!! Girl, Wedding music is the best! Brown Eyed Girl is my ring tone!!!! I hate it when a DJ plays tons of Hip/Hop/Club Music! I want the old stuff, line dancing, and good cajun music (I'm from Louisiana.) I seriously plan on dancing all night at my wedding.
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to come up with the "worst" wedding I have been to. I have been to so many, and there have been some that are just so bad, but for various reasons. I would say here is my list of things.

Bride and groom should love each other and it should be obvious to everyone attending the wedding
    Bride should not duck her head or lean back when the groom goes for the kiss
    Guests should not be asked to bring food to furnish the reception!!!!!!
    Invitations should be mailed
    If invitations are not mailed, they should not be handed out in front of people who might not get one
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    My buddy's wedding was dreadful. I was a groomsman and had to save the wedding. It was time for him to dance with his wife, which he is deathly afraid of dancing. He refused to dance with her. We were all trying to explain this is your wedding day and great memories will come from this, but he still refused. So myself and the other groomsmen stepped up and danced with her during the rest of the wedding reception. This won me a lot of points among the bridesmaids and others :)

During the reception speech by his groomsman, who is a recovering comedian (he's not funny). He basically did a stand up comedy act for his speech. It wasn't funny and there were crickets...lots of them, since this was a Louisiana swamp wedding in July. Imagine wearing a tux and standing next to a swamp in 100 degree weather, with flies and mosquitoes every where. Not fun. Sweating my butt off and slapping my self the whole time.

But the good thing is that he and his wife are still married and doing well. I still joke with them about it all.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Wow! The commentary on open versus cash bars is fun. :)

I actually prefer cash bars as long as they are announced before hand.

In my experience, too many people take an open bar as a personal challenge and the weddings end up being memorable for all of the wrong reasons.
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    I am probably going to be offending people with my decisions. Me and my fiance did a lot of research and realized there is no way we would be able to afford a traditional wedding with an open bar. (open bar is the standard here and my fiance refused to have a wedding without an open bar) Also, I have a huge family and am expected to invite people I am not even close with just because they are family. People would show up for the free food and drinks without really caring about me or my fiance and thinking that they are doing me a huge favor by going out of their way to show up...I figured doing it this way I would just end up being really upset with how the wedding ended up turning out.

We said screw it. We are getting married on a beach in the Bahamas while on a cruise and we will invite everyone. This way the people who come will be the people who really want to be there for us. We are going to upset some people who want to be there but won't be able to go but if they really do love us, they will be happy for us and won't judge us for it. Our guest list is going to be a fraction of what it would be with a traditional wedding and the cost per person is much much less so we won't have to go into debt to do it this way.