Results with 1200 Calories

Options

Replies

• rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    i'm doing a six month internship as a part of my masters program in occupational therapy and am working on a traumatic brain injury unit at a rehab hospital right now. my patients in coma levels I-IV get fed 1400 calories/day at a minimum. not one patient on the unit is fed less than that. i fully respect that eating 1200 calories a day has worked and is working for some of you and i fully congratulate you on your success but i know that for me, since i'm not in a coma, i need to eat more than my coma patients do in order to function and thrive.

Yes they are fed with 14,00 and no less but that is to maintain their weight - not to loose it. Those patients no doubt need specialized nutrition to combat muscle atrophy and skin breakdown r/t immobility. We are healthy, active people, and if we are overweight, we need to eat at a deficit - not maintain - otherwise how will our body ever have the impetus to use up all the stored fat and loose some weight? Just my opinion....

Point being that if 1400 Cals is the minimum to maintain someone who is completely and utterly inactive to a level not possible while conscious (except maybe while in deep meditation) you don't think 1400 Cals is probably the minimum someone who is conscious ought to be eating? To keep the organs functioning, muscles maintained, etc? It's not as though we active people aren't subject to muscle atrophy if we don't eat enough (i.e., less than needed by a coma patient), even if we weight lift. You don't think that simply managing to be conscious requires enough extra energy to put you in a deficit and lose weight?

Just curious ~ so do they prescribe 1400 calories to ALL comatose patients, regardless of age, size?
  • raegan1215
    raegan1215 Posts: 89
    Options
    i'm doing a six month internship as a part of my masters program in occupational therapy and am working on a traumatic brain injury unit at a rehab hospital right now. my patients in coma levels I-IV get fed 1400 calories/day at a minimum. not one patient on the unit is fed less than that. i fully respect that eating 1200 calories a day has worked and is working for some of you and i fully congratulate you on your success but i know that for me, since i'm not in a coma, i need to eat more than my coma patients do in order to function and thrive.

Yes they are fed with 14,00 and no less but that is to maintain their weight - not to loose it. Those patients no doubt need specialized nutrition to combat muscle atrophy and skin breakdown r/t immobility. We are healthy, active people, and if we are overweight, we need to eat at a deficit - not maintain - otherwise how will our body ever have the impetus to use up all the stored fat and loose some weight? Just my opinion....

Point being that if 1400 Cals is the minimum to maintain someone who is completely and utterly inactive to a level not possible while conscious (except maybe while in deep meditation) you don't think 1400 Cals is probably the minimum someone who is conscious ought to be eating? To keep the organs functioning, muscles maintained, etc? It's not as though we active people aren't subject to muscle atrophy if we don't eat enough (i.e., less than needed by a coma patient), even if we weight lift. You don't think that simply managing to be conscious requires enough extra energy to put you in a deficit and lose weight?

Just curious ~ so do they prescribe 1400 calories to ALL comatose patients, regardless of age, size?

nope - that's the minimum though. it goes up from there depending on the patients age, weight and the level of coma the are currently at. (there are technically 8 levels of coma and each gets more active so more calories...)
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 348
    Options
    Let me tell you my story...

I started dieting after my son was born in 2003, I figured diet was simply "stop eating so much" and 1000 calories sounded like a good reasonable number to go by. I lost all of my baby weight, became weight fixated, and lost more weight. I went from the 1000 calories to anorexia (this doesn't happen to everyone, but let's face it eating 1200 calories is border line anorexia. :D After all 1000 calories is only 200 less!) I was super skinny, I had never been so skinny, 5'8" 115lbs. Eventually I ate normal again, because you know life is a good feeling, being alive and all that jazz.

2006 I decided at 5'8" 150lbs I needed to get my eating habits under control. I set my goal at 1200, and lost to 129lbs in a few months. I was constantly crabby, I had no energy, I was so ravenous that if I didn't get to eat my scheduled meal I would start biting heads off. I was a real peach to be around. However, I was super skinny!!! YAY! Guess what? Eventually I got sick of starving and ate normal again, and balooned to 150lbs in about a month.

2008 I started working out, still not eating enough but better 1400 calories with a good work out. I lost the weight pretty fast still, but always felt hungry! (I wonder why? I was burning all of my calories with daily calorie useage, and then I was working out and burning even more.) I eventually made my goal weight, and body fat, and I was very fit! However again, STARVING, again I ATE NORMAL again I GOT BACK TO 150lbs without blinking an eye.

This time? I am eating normal, feeding my metabolism, making smarter choices, working out like a champion. I would reach my "goal weight" in a few months with 1200 calories, have the worst attitude ever, and be starving 24/7. This time? I am eating 1700 to 2200 calories, the weight is coming off slow, my muscles are beautiful. I am not a complete *kitten* to be around, and am enjoying my work outs. I can eat whatever I want and not have my butt go up three sizes.

MY SUGGESTION? FEED YOUR BODY. WORK HARD. Or you can ruin your metabolism, and eat 1200 calories the rest of your life, or do it the other way. Oh yes, and lift heavy things up and down, you will not get bulky and your body will thank you for it.

Thank you for actually telling your story and not just saying "you're stupid...blah, blah, blah. It really is one of the things that turns me off on this site. Being rude will not get your point across well to me.

I am eating between 1400-1600 a day and I exercise about 30 minutes a day, 6 days a week.

I did 1200 and lost a good amount of weight but I wanted to up the calories so it wasn't the same old same old every day....

Breakfast 200-300 calories
    Morning snack 150 calories
    Lunch 400-500 calories
    Afternoon snack 150 calories
    Dinner 400-600 calories

Hope this helps :)
  • mdearmond
    mdearmond Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    i think throughout all of this we kind of lost the point of why we all ended up here. at the end of the day it's not about who is right or who is wrong in this situation because no one is ever going to agree because of differing experiences. the point of this post was never for everyone to argue about who is right or to attack each other or feel victimized because someone else's decisions are different than ours. all that was asked for in the beginning of this thread was how the 1200 calorie diet worked for other women, so why don't we just go back to sharing whether or not it worked for us, and leave it at that instead of attacking everyone left and right. i would assume as a functional human that the person who started the thread is capable of reading success and non-success stories regarding calories and decide for themselves what they want to do. it doesn't require everyone arguing over their lifestyles. why can't we all just share our experiences and leave it at that?
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    ...no one is ever going to agree because of differing experiences....

I think plenty of people have agreed in this thread ~ quite a few have voiced agreement about different things working for different people.
  • mdearmond
    Options

I think plenty of people have agreed in this thread ~ quite a few have voiced agreement about different things working for different people.

i guess my wording didn't accurately represent the thought in my head. i should have said that there is not a chance in the world that we ALL are going to agree on any one way to do things and that attacking each other and saying that anyone is wrong or right is kind of a moot argument. in no way did i mean to say that no one here has agreed with one another.
  • Cappicorn
    Cappicorn Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I was a strict, 1200 calorie a day eater last year when I lost the majority of my weight. I had no energy, I lost a TON of hair (I even went to the dr. for this, it freaked me out that bad). I really couldn't maintain eating so little. I was exhausted. So, after I hit one of my three goals, I stopped counting my calories, ate whatever I wanted, stopped working out as regularly as I had...thus, my current plateau. :ohwell: Haven't gained any weight back, thankfully, but haven't lost any either.

I'm truly itching to start lifting! No way am I going to do that on a measly 1200 calorie diet! I currently have my calories listed for the amount I need to eat per the roadmap, which I need to buckle down and really commit to. If anyone finds my willpower and discipline wandering around on the street, please send it back home to me!
  • raegan1215
    raegan1215 Posts: 89
    Options

i agree! it's hard not to be passionate about a strategy that we've found to work for us - that passion and belief that it's right is part of what makes it successful, but it's really nice to read threads where people can share their own experiences, acknowledge that it might not work for others and move on. there is so much trial and error and so many variables that are different for each of us that it's impossible for there to be a one size fits all approach to health. the best we can do is share our experiences and make our own informed decisions.
  • mdearmond
    Options

i agree! it's hard not to be passionate about a strategy that we've found to work for us - that passion and belief that it's right is part of what makes it successful, but it's really nice to read threads where people can share their own experiences, acknowledge that it might not work for others and move on. there is so much trial and error and so many variables that are different for each of us that it's impossible for there to be a one size fits all approach to health. the best we can do is share our experiences and make our own informed decisions.

precisely what i was trying to say and much more eloquently worded haha :)
  • quirkyone1
    quirkyone1 Posts: 78
    Options
    Simple question... Why would anyone in their right mind eat below or at their BMR? BASAL METABOLIC RATE. This is the the number of calories you need if you are in a freaking coma. How the heck do you expect your body to properly function if you are eating that amount.

#science.getsome.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Going into this whole thing of trying to get fit, I said to myself that if I had to eat like a bird, it wasn't worth it; I'd rather be overweight. So I did my research, found out that I didn't have to eat like a bird, educated myself on TDEE & BMR, and started off eating what I needed to fuel my work-outs and still feel satisfied. I knew this would take a long time, and I wanted to do something that was sustainable forever. I was never in a hurry to lose 2lbs a week and get skinny.

I really cannot understand how anyone would CHOOSE to eat so little when they don't HAVE to.
  • Dino924
    Dino924 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you my story...

I started dieting after my son was born in 2003, I figured diet was simply "stop eating so much" and 1000 calories sounded like a good reasonable number to go by. I lost all of my baby weight, became weight fixated, and lost more weight. I went from the 1000 calories to anorexia (this doesn't happen to everyone, but let's face it eating 1200 calories is border line anorexia. :D After all 1000 calories is only 200 less!) I was super skinny, I had never been so skinny, 5'8" 115lbs. Eventually I ate normal again, because you know life is a good feeling, being alive and all that jazz.

2006 I decided at 5'8" 150lbs I needed to get my eating habits under control. I set my goal at 1200, and lost to 129lbs in a few months. I was constantly crabby, I had no energy, I was so ravenous that if I didn't get to eat my scheduled meal I would start biting heads off. I was a real peach to be around. However, I was super skinny!!! YAY! Guess what? Eventually I got sick of starving and ate normal again, and balooned to 150lbs in about a month.

2008 I started working out, still not eating enough but better 1400 calories with a good work out. I lost the weight pretty fast still, but always felt hungry! (I wonder why? I was burning all of my calories with daily calorie useage, and then I was working out and burning even more.) I eventually made my goal weight, and body fat, and I was very fit! However again, STARVING, again I ATE NORMAL again I GOT BACK TO 150lbs without blinking an eye.

This time? I am eating normal, feeding my metabolism, making smarter choices, working out like a champion. I would reach my "goal weight" in a few months with 1200 calories, have the worst attitude ever, and be starving 24/7. This time? I am eating 1700 to 2200 calories, the weight is coming off slow, my muscles are beautiful. I am not a complete *kitten* to be around, and am enjoying my work outs. I can eat whatever I want and not have my butt go up three sizes.

MY SUGGESTION? FEED YOUR BODY. WORK HARD. Or you can ruin your metabolism, and eat 1200 calories the rest of your life, or do it the other way. Oh yes, and lift heavy things up and down, you will not get bulky and your body will thank you for it.

Do you find that your body just wants to be at a certain weight? And I don't think 150 lbs at 5'8" is heavy! I don't like to use it as an excuse, but when I was younger my body always wanted to be 117/118 (I'm 5'3"). I could only weight less if starved myself or got sick. Now that I'm older, my body seems to want to be around 127/128. I got down to 122 eating about 1300 calories, but yes, I was cranky and tired all the time!
  • mdearmond
    Options
    Do you find that your body just wants to be at a certain weight? And I don't think 150 lbs at 5'8" is heavy! I don't like to use it as an excuse, but when I was younger my body always wanted to be 117/118 (I'm 5'3"). I could only weight less if starved myself or got sick. Now that I'm older, my body seems to want to be around 127/128. I got down to 122 eating about 1300 calories, but yes, I was cranky and tired all the time!

i remember hearing (once upon a time and i can't remember who said it or in what context or really anything other than the statement itself lol) before that there is an optimal weight for your body as far as how low your weight will go and that your body will be stubborn with you and do all that it can not to go below that weight (although its obviously possible with further and more strict dietary restriction). whether there is aaaany type of truth to that statement or not is beyond me as i had not given a second thought to hearing it until i read this, so if its completely outlandish and something someone made up please everyone don't jump on me for it haha

edited for missing word
  • sarahjalink
    sarahjalink Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Simple question... Why would anyone in their right mind eat below or at their BMR? BASAL METABOLIC RATE. This is the the number of calories you need if you are in a freaking coma. How the heck do you expect your body to properly function if you are eating that amount.

#science.getsome.

Your body uses it's fat stores!
  • iclaudia_g
    iclaudia_g Posts: 148 Member
    Options

#science.getsome.

Not for nutrients. Your body will eat muscle mass for nutrients you won't feed it. Only fat for energy. :)
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    1200 is the enemy!! Just saying

ha ha...too funny!!!!
  • sarahjalink
    sarahjalink Posts: 40 Member
    Options

#science.getsome.

Not for nutrients. Your body will eat muscle mass for nutrients you won't feed it. Only fat for energy. :)

You can pack plenty of nutrients into 1200 cals. I'm eating better than I ever have before.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options

#science.getsome.

Your body can't get everything it needs from fat stores. Your body can only store fat-soluble vitamins. It needs to get water-soluble vitamins from food every day. Also, out of the 33+ amino acids, do you know why 9 of them are called "essential" amino acids? Because your body can not make them from your fat stores: you have to eat them every day (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_amino_acid). Your body CAN make some things that it needs, but there ARE vitamins, minerals, nutrients, amino acids etc. that it DEPENDS on getting every day from your diet. And also keep in mind that the body must burn calories to do the work of breaking down fat cells, processing the energy from them, and eliminating the waste from them. If you demand more work from your body than you give it the calories to perform, it will have to cut corners somewhere. It will prioritize important things like maintaining your brain and vital organs. It will de-prioritize other things like burning fat and maintaining your hair and nails (which is why they will get dry and chip and thin if you under-eat for long enough). Also, when your body has a larger calorie "bill" than it can "pay" with the calories you feed it, it will try to "balance its budget" with certain strategies: 1) it will prefer to burn muscle over fat, since that pesky tissue requires so many calories even at rest 2) it will slow your system down and dial back your metabolism in an attempt to lower it's daily "bill" of calories.

The body line is, your body is designed to lose weight at a MODERATE deficit, not an EXTREME one.
  • KentWhiteRabbit
    KentWhiteRabbit Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    UUURRRGG here we go...'you're starving at 1200'. What a load of cr**. I have tons of energy, I'm losing weight, my periods haven't stopped, I've not suddenly gained weight and you know what, I enjoy not eating f*** loads of food.

I'll see you at the finish line (I'll be there before you)!
    I actually didn't say you were going to lose your period, and you obviously have a bad relationship with food if you thinking eating what your body NEEDS to simply maintain it's functioning level is "loads of food." Also it is starving yourself, the average body needs at least 1700 calories to function every day, anything less than that is starving it.

There is an important word in the above...AVERAGE....we are not all average. If I ate 1700 calories a day every day, I'd be the size of a house in a couple of years.
  • apriljackss
    apriljackss Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Someone else said it but I think it bears repeating that while it IS about how MANY calories you're eating, it's more about what TYPE of calories you're eating. If you're eating 1200 calories of refined white grains and sugars from packages then yeah, you're going to be pretty miserable. However, if you're eating 1200 calories of REAL food like lean meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, and whole grains, then you're probably going to feel pretty full and satisfied. Not to mention if you balance it right your body will be getting everything it needs to maintain itself and be healthy. But again, this also depends on your age, height, and your own metabolism. Everyone wants to discourage 1200 calories on the MFP site yet MFP is what recommended this amount of calories in the first place.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!