SIZE ZERO!!!!!

Options

Replies

• lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could ever reach a size 0, even if I tried!
    I think a UK size 8 would be the smallest I could ever reach. Only because my mum was a size 8 and I have the same body type as her. But really worked really really hard and looked sickly, she even admitted herself all she did was eat salads and exercise whilst working 2 jobs.

A UK size 8 is more like a US size 4. A US size 0 is more like a UK size 4.

Oh wow!
    I have a friend who is a UK size 4, but she's about 4'11" and extremely naturally skinny. She tries her best to put weight on because she hates being so skinny, she can never find any dresses that fit her, because most UK places only cover size 6 upwards.
    She once told me she was jealous of me because I was curvy :laugh:
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I could never be a size zero (US or UK) because I have child bearing hips (no children though!).
    I'm a healthy weight now (128lbs at 5ft 2") and plan to lose another 9lbs but I couldn't get much below that, without being unhealthy.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I think a UK size 8 would be the smallest I could ever reach. Only because my mum was a size 8 and I have the same body type as her. But really worked really really hard and looked sickly, she even admitted herself all she did was eat salads and exercise whilst working 2 jobs.

I was just thinking if this thread referred to a US or UK size zero. There was a thing a few years ago, when size zero fascination was at its peak, about being a true zero which is being a UK size zero, which would be like a -4 in the US.

Yeah, I wear a US size 0, but a UK size 0 would be way too skinny for my body type.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i think it depends a lot on your height and build. i am 5'8". to be a size 0 at the height i would need to be between 110 and 120 pounds. both of those fall into a bmi category of underweight. no i don't think that is healthy and should not be viewed as something to reach for. my mother on the other hand is 5'1". she can be a size 0 fall into a weight range that is solidly in the normal/healthy range.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options

Oh wow!
    I have a friend who is a UK size 4, but she's about 4'11" and extremely naturally skinny. She tries her best to put weight on because she hates being so skinny, she can never find any dresses that fit her, because most UK places only cover size 6 upwards.

I don't know any high street shops that go below a size 6.
    Don't know about fashion boutiques and high fashion shops.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    It's definitely impossible for some people to attain. Even when I was borderline underweight I wasn't a size zero. I have hips!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    It's not an issue of achieving it. It should not be everyone's goal. Of course not everyone is going to be a size 0, but they will all be fit and look great at their size/body type. But, for small framed people, size 0 is a normal size for them and does not look too thin. Size 0 exists because all the sizes were made bigger, and now size 2 is too big for people. And it doesn't mean they aren't curvy, either, it just means they have an overall small bone structure and small size. I do have a 23 inch waist (my hips/booty being 11 inches bigger) and I wear a size 00-0 usually. I have found I can wear a 2 in some yoga pants. I am petite.
    I think BinaryPulsar may be one of the most eloquent people on the forums. I completely agree with this. A size 0 will be disgustingly sickly skinny for some people and normal for others. It's another version of the thigh gap debate. It just depends on your build.

For example, I was at mybodygallery.com looking at people who are my height (5'9") and my body shape (pear) and looking at their pics in my goal range 150-160. They looked great, fit, skinny, everything, and one thing I noticed about them was that almost all of them were listed at a size 6. If they were small enough for a 0 with their builds, they would look sick.

But then you have the opposite side, people like BinaryPulsar, who listed her measurements and sizes, and she clearly does not look sick. She's perfect in her 0. All about your body. (By *your* I don't mean OP, I mean the collective, general public)
  • PriyaCharan
    PriyaCharan Posts: 40
    Options
    It's not an issue of achieving it. It should not be everyone's goal. Of course not everyone is going to be a size 0, but they will all be fit and look great at their size/body type. But, for small framed people, size 0 is a normal size for them and does not look too thin. Size 0 exists because all the sizes were made bigger, and now size 2 is too big for people. And it doesn't mean they aren't curvy, either, it just means they have an overall small bone structure and small size. I do have a 23 inch waist (my hips booty being 11 inches bigger) and I wear a size 00-0 usually. I have found I can wear a 2 in some yoga pants. I am petite.

I agree, its shouldnt be everyones goal. for one, i can never be a size zero even if i starved myself because i have naturally wide hips. I was just checking out some pics of bebos transformation and got curious..... im not moving towards a size zero anytime soon :)

But you said this in your OP:
    my opinions are, yes, size zero is a healthy possibility and i think anybody can attain it

That statement is scary!

Yes, i guess i can attain about a 34.5 inch hip if i live on diet cokes and smokes :)
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I would not look good at a size 0, being 6 foot and all. I am not aiming for a particular size clothing-wise anyway. Aiming for a healthy body weight! :smile:
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    size zero is a 23 inch waist, most models are actually a size 2. I think size zero only looks good when the person still has a decent body fat percentage.
    ive got to agree with you, some size zero models dont look beautiful to me..... they actually look very sick but some size zero models and celebrities(kareena kapoor) look gorgeous and i think its because they have a decent body fat percentage.

My sister never looked sick. I think she still had a 17.9% body fat at her weight when tested professionally, so she still looked good.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    If I were dead and all the meat rotted off, then POSSIBLY, I might fit into a zero, but even then, not likely. I am Amazon. Even when I was thin, I was still a size 10. I am also 5'10".
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options

That's true. The average UK size is a 16, I am currently a 14 (US 10). I would like to get to a UK 10 (US 6) but with my height, build etc it may only ever be a dream and I can only reach a 12. Either way, I am down over 100 pounds, so wherever I do finally end up, it's better than where I began. I have never wanted to be a size 0 (US) and it's just physically impossible I would think. :-)
  • aligatorwww
    aligatorwww Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My size 0 step-daughter fits in my size 12 leather jacket from the 80's. What's that all about?
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Oh wow!

I don't know any high street shops that go below a size 6.
    Don't know about fashion boutiques and high fashion shops.

I think hollister is the only place that would do a size 4. I think it's true that they don't size above a UK size 12?
    I went shopping with my friend and she got very upset because she can wear size 6 pants and tops without it looking strange, but when she wears a size 6 dress it falls off her bust it looks huge on her.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Very simple. If you have no hips to speak of and are fairly short then a size zero may be the perfect size to be.

I have even had trouble finding a zero to fit, but I have no hips...

I was a size 00 for years and was 110 lbs at five four, and now I am overweight (40% body fat) at an eight. My ideal size is 2.

When you are little, a little bit of chub goes a long way. So does a little weight loss.

If you have big hips you will never be a zero.

No one should feel the need to be a zero if it isn't there body type. But it does stand to reason that those of us with very small build will need pants as well.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I think BinaryPulsar may be one of the most eloquent people on the forums.

Aaaw, thanks!! :blushing: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Vanity sizing is so out of control that size zero is not even that small in many brands. I tried to buy a suit at Express a couple of weeks ago and the zero fit me a bit loosely, and I am not that small- 25.5 inch waist. I don't know what truly petite women do.

Searching online, I think I would have been a 12 or 14 in pre-1970s sizing. Today, I usually wear a zero or two. What do really thin do? Buy kids clothes? It's ridiculous.

ETA: more online searching suggests vintage sizing might have put me in more like a six...still, seems much more reasonable than a freaking zero.
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    There is NO WAY I will ever be a size 0 ever. I don't think i even it it when I was a teen, i think i just went through it waved and moved on. I would be happy getting back to a 10/12 and healthy!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Yes, if one is willing to become anorexic, I am sure anyone can be this so exulted size 0. For me, personally, the only way I can achieve this is by being at least 14 Ibs underweight. I know, because even when I had a BMI of 18, I was only able to get into some Uk size 6s, which is the equivalent. I am 5'10. I think to claim everyone can be that size is stupid and irresponsible.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I think BinaryPulsar may be one of the most eloquent people on the forums.

Aaaw, thanks!! :blushing: :smile: :flowerforyou:
    You're welcome! :flowerforyou: :smile: