The ultimate ab thread

Options
1235»

Replies

• CantStopWontStop92
    CantStopWontStop92 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    @lhourin I've never done anything with weights, to be honest it's always seemed intimidating. My university offers a lot of fitness programs though, do you have anything in particular to recommend that would be good for a beginner? I'm not sure that I can afford a personal trainer.
    Thank you for the eating advice! I always feel like I'm shooting in the dark on what's best as everyone seems to disagree. Also, go you for being in such fantastic shape at 40 with kids. I hope I can look like you when I'm at that point in life:)
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    For real? I was sure that those who competed didn't have stretch marks

I can tell you that a lot of fitness models I worked with had stretch marks, too. So many people --even those in the best shape possible!--do, especially after kids.

many competitions require spraytans and that helps cover stretch marks. There are PLENTY of competitors with stretch marks. PLENTY.

ETA: that was in response to the first quote.

You can start to understand how this help.

how what helps?
    Options
    What kind of ab workouts/eating regiments do you ladies do? I have a flat stomach and minimal definition, but I can't seem to get my stomach any more toned. I'm also worried about losing weight (I'm 20, 5'5'' and 107lbs). Any advice would be great!

I'm going to respond here what I did in the PM, to possibly help others, too.

"as a person who is not a professional and who had to figure this out all on her own (and with the help of MFP), I can't say what worked for me will work for anyone else, BUT I ate. Seriously. I had to increase what I was eating, because it was too few calories for lifting. To get the abs, I tossed (most) of my processed foods, i.e. dairy, butter, oil, sodas, juices, alcohol, fast and fried foods, etc... I started eating better and lifting and that's when I started seeing definition. For all of the time, I believe in moderation on occasion, though. (Just not while I am training). I hope that helps!!"
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm late, but 3 kids, ages 6, 4, and 2.

20127619_1291.jpg
  • Pitterpatter
    Pitterpatter Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    :love: wow you ladies look amazing!!!
    Mom of 4 here. This photo was 2 years after my 4th baby, so 2 years ago. :sick:
    P1000151.jpg

And today. Not quite 'abs' but I'm getting there ...
    image.jpg
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Y'all look so great. It's apparent how much hard work went into all these bodies! Love it.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I still have a long way to go, but I'm hopeful now :)
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    2 kids here, too. They are 7 and 9. This is the best my abs have looked since them, but they were pretty nice before that. Of course things are a little different now (more loose skin on them...not a pretty sight when doing, say, mountain climbers!) but I'm not really complaining. For what it's worth, cutting out most processed foods and carbs is what really brought them back.

IMG_3280.jpg

IMG_20130512_111316.jpg

(Whoa, those are big. I'm sorry, thought I'd resized them to be slightly less ginormous!)

wowza!!you look phenomenal!! :noway: And i dont see any loose skin here
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Really some amazing progress and pics in here. Congratulations on the wonderful results you've each achieved!
  • BeautyAndStrength50
    BeautyAndStrength50 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    1qsgsp.jpg
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    This is such an inspiring thread!
    Options
    1qsgsp.jpg

fixed it. (lower case img)
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Also, if anyone asks I do TDEE-20%. High protein (because it makes me happy).

Workouts are heavy compounds and one ab exercise (hanging leg raise or ab wheel) one day a week.

Sorry I have to ask what is TDEE-20%?