how you got fat?

Options

Replies

• CSmother
    CSmother Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How I got fat? I got fat after my son died and I decided food was a good way to grieve. I taught myself how to eat less than 500 calories a day and ALL of those calories was fat. Cheetoes were my best friend and the couch was my haven. I went to the doctor a while back and he told me I had diabetes. He gave me 3 months to get it under control or I was going on insulin. If anyone here is diabetic, you know it is damn near impossible to lose weight once you start insulin, so I quickly lost 30 lbs. Not so very long after, I lost my job, lost my house and had to move in with my disabled father. He died 3 months later (just last month). Although the Cheetoes are staring at me daily, I refuse to honor our friendship!
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    College happened. I went from riding my bike 1-2 hours a day to only taking public transport, and living by myself and deciding for myself what I could eat (which was mostly pizza, M&M's and wine).
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Laziness and 6 children
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Eating junk my whole life.

My Mom saved bacon grease to fry things in( can't imagine that now!) and she cooked as though it was the depression and we could lose everything and starve at any given moment.

Lots of comfort food which I used to comfort myself when kids teased me for being fat.
  • 11hammicks
    11hammicks Posts: 61
    Options
    I've gained from the typical college diet. It was fun and all but not having my shorts fit sucks :( so here's to getting back to normal!
  • txchik
    txchik Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My recent weight gain was due to holiday overeating and now I'm facing the unfortunate consequences. It so sucks :(
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    3 kids. I don't gain weight unless I get pregnant but after having the kids I got so busy and I either missed my own meals to take care of my kiddos or I ate crappy.
    Luckily my kids are the same reason I am trying to get back into shape.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Here's how it happened to me:

Lack of education on what proper nutrition looked like.

Too much high calorie fast food with little nutrients. Portions were too big. Daily intake of sugar soda.

Not owning a scale because I didn't want to know what it said.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    too many calories going in, too few going out. BAM, fatness.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Decades long process that started after graduation from college.

All during HS and College was an athlete working out anywhere from 2-4 hours daily. Never had to worry once about what I put in my mouth during those years as I was burning a good 6K-8K calories a day with being so active. Would go out for dinner after workout and down a whole chicken or two BEFORE eating an entire pizza.

That kind of eating works out fine if you maintain that kind of workout schedule but life after graduation just did not permit that kind of commitment to PA.

Combine that with depression and the PA disappeared altogether.

Flash forward a few decades and you have a middle aged fat guy pushing 350#'s.

Just pulling out of that haze this past 6 months or so but have dumped 70+ pounds to date and have sights on getting back into the 195-205 over this next year.

Oh, yeah, here's another reason....

http://whyyourfat.tumblr.com/archive
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm excessive. i got fat by continuing to eat as much as i did as when i was an athlete. i also added boozing to that too =>fatty boombalatty
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    The government
  • kellyjamespro2012
    kellyjamespro2012 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    just woke up one day and I was fat! :)
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Thinking I could still eat like I was 22 and not put on an ounce ( yeah that doesn't work anymore)
    Meds
    no exercise at all ever.

I'm off the meds, realized I am not a teenager, and I work out a lot now!
  • pchesnut
    pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    just being lazy about eating the things I KNEW I shouldn't be eating and not doing the exercising that I KNEW I should be doing ;-(
  • JennyV2013
    JennyV2013 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Emotional eating
    Getting married
    Having kids
    Desk job with long hours
    Depression
    Giving up on myself
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Mainly eating too much and discovering alcohol (and using it to cope for a long time). I've always stayed active, but clearly not active enough :P
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Eating crap and being lazy.

THIS.
  • Territravel
    Territravel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It was a three-step process.

Step 1 - stuff food into my mouth
    Step 2 - stuff more food into my mouth
    Step 3 - repeat steps one and two

This!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I ****ing hated my mother ****ing miserable life....

I do too. It sure doesn't make things any easier.
    But getting fatter definitely makes it worse.