WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2013

Options

Replies

• glendalight
    glendalight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yikes! I got lost in space. My computer would not go past May 13 on here and once the topic was locked, it did not show the "continued at" link to the new page?? :grumble: So I had to do some searching....and I have found you:wink: It is still not one hundred percent okay, but I'll mark my spot here and hope for the best.

I am busy packing today and heading to Ontario for our son's masters convocation from Mcmaster University. We will be gone for 10+days....will I fnd you when i get back? And that is 10 days with little control over meal selection:noway: Here's hoping for making the best choices with what is available.

Have a good one ladies.

Glenda
  • colograndma
    colograndma Posts: 67
    Options
    Happy Weekend everyone!

Working today, but will be working with gals that are great so the day should go quick. I had the most wonderful surprise when I got home last night. DH had Adel and Brother who does handyman work come and removed 3 big bushes from the back yard, and on the side of the house where the old owner had PILED weeds and rock and limbs he had them clear that out.... Whoo Hoo I was excited! Now we can put up our second veggie bed, and the third will go on the side of the house where all the junk was piled if we deceide we need the 3rd this year. There is still lots to do in our little jungle in the back yard.... but that is 5 solid days work for us.. :laugh: 60 year olds do not work as fast as 30-40....LOL

:wink: City Jane- good advise on eating back calories and how to approach MFP in general. Bottom line we are all out to get healthy.. not frustrated and blue because we do not fit everyone's mold. Congrats on getting close to your goal!

:bigsmile: Sue in Texas, Praising God you are ok, and will be praying for all the friends and family hurt and harmed in all of this.

:smile: Michele - I have some good mini-workouts that I have saved from you-tube videos for rebounding....I hurt my ankle this spring falling down the stairs at work and low impact is much better for me.

:flowerforyou: Grandmallie - my DH is suffering with allergies. Itchy eyes and hard to breath, he has COPD which makes it harder. Hope you are better soon!

:love: Jane :- Love that you have a date n ght with DH. We try and go for a mini-vacation every few months... for just us. Nothing fancy, we will go visit some of the old mountain towns here in the west slope of colorado, like Ouray, or Glenwood, or go find a cabin in the cimmarons in the summer. Or just go up on Grand Mesa or the Monument near by for the day and have a picnic.

Susan: Hope you have a better week and your incisions heal up. Praying for a good pathology report!

Amanda: You as well take good care of yourself. Praying for you dad too!

Well ladies, we are having a nice rain shower here, can hear the thunder. Have a great Saturday. I am making progress on the water issue, and have managed 80 oz for the last couple of days. NSV... yesterday was able to decline big cupcakes for a birthday party for one of the gals here... and left overs are sitting on the table in the back. Before I would have had 2 or 3 by now. But I am doing just fine with out. :bigsmile:

:heart: Hugs, Connie
    ~colograndma~
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hello all you wonderful ladies out in MFP land....I miss you all a lot but my life is way too busy at the moment to spend much time on the computer except for work. Hopefully things will be back to normal by the end of the month. I will be taking a couple of weeks of vacation then to help my daughter pack up for the move to Ontario. She has received a wonderful $105K grant to complete her PhD and so will be completing it at York U in Toronto. YAY!!!! At least one will be here in Canada (still a long way away though).

JB - love the flower photos. My bulbs and Forsythia have just finished and the rockery plants are blooming like crazy. I do have lots of Columbine though like yours. I'm hoping to get my vegetable garden planted this weekend but it's kind of drizzly so I think the rototiller will just churn up mud. I'll hope for a sunny day by Sunday or Monday (long weekend here). In the meantime, I'll get my patio boxes and planters underway.

Cheryl - thanks for the horse photos, something about horses just makes the heart smile. Glad you found the FitBit. I'm off to get a pedometer this weekend. Mine has not been working well so I think it's time for a new one.

For those of you with squirrels - I never see any around the yard here but I certainly have bulbs blooming in very odd places. Alliums for some reason pop up in very strange places. At least I don't feel bad about plucking them for the house if they are where they shouldn't be.

My house is full of white lilacs at the moment. Last week was the purple ones, this week I have five bouquets of white ones. I'm O-Ding on them because when DD1 was still at home, she was allergic to them so I could never have them in the house. So now I can have masses of them.

I've been a bit of a slug on the walking lately. Every time I go out I run into bears (probably the same one) and I guess I will have to stay on the sidewalks in the residentIal areas even if it does make for a boring walk.

for those who asked about the turkey meatloaf - it was really good and here is the recipe for those who wanted it
    1 small onion chopped
    1 red bell pepper chopped
    1 carrot chopped
    2 or 3 cloves garlic chopped
    (or you can just put the above all in a food processor and pulse until they are mid-range chopped - don't get too fine)
    add to
    1.5 lbs ground turkey
    0.5 cup bread crumbs
    0.25 cup low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
    mix together and bind with
    1 egg
    1Tbsp Worchestershiire sauce
    1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
    add herbs and spices as desired (I used tarragon and thyme)
    salt and peper to taste (1/2 tsp worked for me)

Form into a loaf or put in a regular loaf pan

Cover with glaze (I found this made a LOT of glaze, I only used about half of it but it was useful for the leftovers heated up the next day)
    0.5 cup ketchup
    2 Tbsp brown sugar
    2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
    2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar

Bake at 325F for about an hour, makes 4 large or 6 regular servings (280 cals large, 190 regular)

Have a great weekend and if I get the chance I will check in again.

Lila, in the so-so Kootenays, BC Canada
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sat!!
    hope u all have a great day!
    HUGS
    jane
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I have trouble sleeping also but a lot of it is because of the cat. She was a rescue cat and lived in a foster home for while before we adopted her. Some of these foster homes have numerous animals just because that's what four legged foster families do!:heart: Her hubbie worked night shift and this scared little cat was kind of scared of staying in the rest of the house with all the other 11 animals so she slept on foster Moms bed. So I have kept the habit. The few times my previous cat had slept on my bed she was up near my pillow. Melody stays down at the foot of the bed. He favorite place is the middle. That means I either have to have my feet on one side or the other. Sometimes she sleeps on the right side but that means that she walks over my legs to get there. So last night I pushed her to the left side but when I got up to go to the bathroom she had moved herself back to the middle. I was sleepy enough I just dealt with it..

My fat is made of super glue:grumble: No matter how well I eat and exercise I stay the same. At least I haven't yo-yoed in the last two days. But 204.4 every day. It's been over a month.

Joyce, grumbling in Indiana
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday. It’s warm and fairly windy here; supposed to get strong storms tomorrow. This will be just a short note. More frustration with DD#1; I really think it’s time for her to just move out. She has no consideration for anyone but herself; never does what we ask her to do, and is just ….I don’t know. It’s hard to tell if she behaves this way deliberately or if she is truly incapable of anything else. But I am totally wiped out by her,

Renny; sounds like you had a fitness kind of day!

Amanda: so glad dad is improving! I’m sending you continued wishes for his ongoing improvement and for you to have some peace and rest.

Kathy: holy cow!!! I’m so glad you weren’t hurt

Cityjane: what is tenderland?

DeeDee: I got horrible sleep last night (confirmed by my fitbit buddy), but I did just come in from outside after sitting and admiring our yard!

Gail: sorry it is so dreary there! I love old fashioned oats for breakfast too.

JB: I have 2 kinds of delphiniums…the kind you had and another which was marked perinneal but sold with the annuals. It doesn’t grow so high and doesn’t need staking. They have small lacy leaves and smaller flowers. We’ll see if they come back next year; last year the bunnies at e all of them.

Katla: I haven’t used rattan in years but thought they held up well. If they are real rattan they should hold up to moisture and humidity, but you have to be sure about it. All our outside furniture is heavy, heavy metal because with our wind, our old furniture was always in the neighbor’s yard!

Yanniejannie: you are soggy too? Ticks! I hate the suckers. UGH

Glenda: have a wonderful trip and if you can’t find us when you get back, email one of us and we will direct you!

Connie: great NSV!

Lila: thanks for the recipe. I will try it. I’m always looking for good poultry ones. I get so sick of just plain chicken!

Joyce: keep on keeping on and the weight will come!

OK ladies; now I need to highlight the old bag’s hair (mine) so I look decent for dinner tonight. Have a fun rest of the day! Take care Meg from Omaha where the wind does blow!
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Katla, not updating the ticker just means I am not logging in the new weight until it seems permanent. Since I weigh daily theoretically I could be changing it every day, but I just do it once I seem to settle at a new place.

12's, 12's, I bought 12's in slacks today -- hooray!

Gail, metro ATL
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Worked in the garden all day with DH. I raked out mulch and helped with the fencing. Everything hurts, I will have no problems sleeping tonight.

Meg-your DD#1 sounds like the same type as my Mom. Just pick mr up this at the store, just get me that. I've tried to tell her now that I'm retired, I don't have as much money and she needs to buy it herself.

Kathy- it's nothing to hear gun shots out where we live, but its people hunting. Scary for you. The world is going to h-ll in a hand basket.

Everyone have a great evening
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Michele -- good workout and busy day for you. Hope you had fun

Smwert, Hi I hope you're healing well.

barbiecat, good use of insomnia time

megblair, do you use the FitBIt for sleep often? I used it last night and forgot to look at the data. I will probably forget after I submit this note, but I hope it stays for a while so I can peek at it later. And yes, might be time for that one to leave the nest.

Rebel Renny, wow bike in the rain,. I'm glad you didn't slip. I'm afraid of falling in the rain

tiarapants, I hope your dad improves

kathyszoo - wow scary, gunfire, wow. glad everyone seems to be okay

cityjane, congrats on your weightloss ! You read for insomnia too? When I read, I get interested and read for a long time...then am sorry and really way oversleep to catch up. hard to know what to do, when :-)

deedee your flowers sound nice! the ones the squirrel didn't dig up yet.

GardenGail, congrats on the weightloss, I hope you didn't have to go in to work too long. congrats on the 12's yay

Jb pretty flowers, your efforts are paying off

Katla, I hope you get to go on a boating outing. Sorry I don't have any experience with those chairs

yanniejannie, great cardio with the "tick hunting" that might be a new entry for MFP database

glendalight, have a good trip; exciting reason to go

colograndma, glad you are ready for your second veggie bed. I need to make a first one. critters get to everything here, I'm not as motivated as I could be I guess

Sasha , you sure sound busy. congrats to your daughter lilacs sound pretty and I copied the meatloaf recipe

janemartin - happy Saturday to you too

jmkmom , I miss having cats, Good luck breaking your plateau soon

yardtirgress - sleep well, bet the garden looks nice!

I did my longRun today. PR duration. My legs are kinda tired. Good thing tomorrow is rest-day again.
    I went to a graduation; it's been a while since I went to one. very nice!

Sleep well, see you tomorrow !
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Amanda - glad to hear about your dad. Now remember to take care of yourself, too.

Got up, went to one store to get Vince his Gatorade because I thought we'd be working outside and I know he drinks a lot of it. Then went to the farmers market, had a little time before yoga so stopped at one food store, they don't carry the bacon I want, went to yoga, came home and made a lemon pound cake (Lynette asked me to make something for her accounting group, I suspect they bring something quite often and her mother usually makes something for her to take), made a ginger cake that I wanted to try the recipe for for when I have Rummykub Tues, made pork chops to have later in the week, now I'm making these butterless oatmeal raisin cookies for Rummykub. I think that's all I'll be making

Kathy - what a scary thing you had happen to you. Glad you're all safe. Did they find out who did it and why?

cityjane - congrats on breaking that plateau

DeeDee - the party was nice, but to be honest, I really wish I had been able to sit and enjoy the company. I was too busy doing "hostess" things like getting food ready, greeting/saying goodbye (I need to do less of that) and that sort of thing. By the time I was hoping to just sit down and relax with the rest of the guests, they were ready to leave. Fortunately, the rain held off until today. It was so nice outside last night. Waaaa about your flowers. I bet that squirrel IS the culprit. Didn't realize they can be replanted. The iced tea didn't go over. Now that's interesting since it went over pretty well when I had Mexican Train here. You just never know. Anyway, fortunately, I made the unsweetened decaf so I'll finish it.

jb - your flowers are beautiful! Thanks for the link

Connie - what a keeper your dh is! Big congrats on the NSV for you.

Well, the first lemon pound cake I made for Lynette stuck to the bottom of the pan. I can't let her take something like that to her accounting group so I made another one. Well, that one stuck to the pan, too. I have no idea why. Anyway, what I did was I decided to invert it, so I'll give it to her with the bottom on top and the part that was stuck to the pan on the bottom where no one will see it. I just don't feel like trying something else. I guess I'm a bit on the lazy side.

yanniejannie - I don't know how you work with the ticks, I know that I couldn't do it, I'd be too afraid.

Gail - congrats on the 12's!

Don't really know why, but for some reason I'm a bit onh the tired side right now. Think I'll get to bed soon. It's a bit on the warm (and muggy) side, maye that has something to do with it. Went to church and got the donations to take to the soup kitchen Monday.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele in NC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Got some kohlrabi at the farmers market. Never had it before. The guy said that it can be used in a salad, so I thought "hey, why not give it a try".

Has anyone used it in their salads?

Looking forward to tomorrow's salad. Got some radishes at the farmers market today, have some tomatoes left over, I think I have a cuke in the fridge, want to finish up the egg whites and will probably hard boil some more eggs tomorrow. Oooooo....can hardly wait until tomorrow's salad.

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Colograndma: 60 year olds work slower because they’re smarter. :bigsmile: It sounds like you’re having a good time making your new home really yours.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: If fat was superglue it wouldn’t grow and we’d all still be thin, or at least thinner. :laugh: You have to keep working at it and doing the right things. The fat will eventually go away. DH has been dieting along with me since the beginning, but the loss is slower for him. He does the best he can, but can't do as much exercise as me. He has lost weight steadily, but slowly. He's looking and feeling better, too.:love: We're liking the new MS doctor and DH will be starting on medication soon. I wish they had a hopeful icon. I'm not expecting it to make him all better, but I'm hoping for a little improvement, or at least for it to stop things from getting worse.:flowerforyou:

Meg: We went through that stage with our daughter at the end of high school. She kept telling us that she was moving out as soon as the school year ended. We found our current home by the river and we moved out. Her stuff came with us and we had a room for her, but she didn’t live here more than a little while. She’s in her thirties now and still doesn’t live here, but our relationship is good. She lives in CO with her husband and daughter, has a good job and a messy house. I suppose many people with two year olds have messy houses.:tongue::wink: :happy:

Gail: Congratulations on Size 12! That was my goal for this month, too, and I’m probably there. I haven’t actually shopped for pants other than a pair of capris and they’re mediums! I was so proud.:blushing:

Michele: I’ve never tired kohlrabi but I’m curious. Be sure to tell us how you liked it and share the recipe.:flowerforyou:

We put a new starting battery in the boat today. There is still a bit to be done, but little by little we’re getting ready for the sailing season. I sure hope we figure out how to make it work for us again.:love: DH ‘s health made things pretty difficult for the last couple of years. I think he’d happily trade the boat for an RV, but I’m not ready to let go of something that has given us so much pleasure over the years. :noway: Our sailing club has a cruise planned for Memorial Day weekend, and I’m hoping to go. We have to finish getting the boat ready, shop, pack, put bedding and such aboard, and get the dinghy out of the storage unit and into the water. The list is long. :tongue: In years past DH did the heavy stuff but now that part will be on me. I hope I’m up to the challenge.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • junekaatz
    junekaatz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    :glasses: bump..... been MIA for quite awhile.... Ireland was the calm before the storm. Suffice to say I gave my notice at work and am trying to keep my blood pressure from exploding! Hope to get back one day soon. Miss everyone!

Kate
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I guess I need to admit to myself that I am addicted to chocolate. I have been wanting some and as long as I keep my emotions on a even keel I am OK without it. But I'm down in the dumps because of this plateau so emotions are down:sad: So I decided that tonight while my husband was out doing his karaoke thing I would go to Walmart and get some. He then told me that he wasn't going out tonight:noway: So I am sitting in the living room watching reruns while he is doing his Wii wondering how I am going to get this chocolate. My big break comes! His buddy found a place that they could go to tonight!!!! Yippee skippee!!!!! Now I can go out and get it. I do like to go out and just window shop at Walmart or Target on Saturday nights while he is gone so I told him I would do that while he was gone. Man, I was tasting, actually salivating all the way. I wanted so bad to open that bag of 100,000 dollar snack size bars while I was in line but I didn't. I didn't want to seem like this eager desperate fat lady. So as soon as I got in the car I opened it and ate two bars. There was someone waiting for my parking place but I didn't care. I was savoring my candy. I looked like one of those junkies who were sweating it out until I got my fix. I was anxious to get out and found out I couldn't, was so relieved I could and then couldn't wait to eat it. I do't know what I am going to do. I know I will regret it tomorrow and the next day as it shows on the scale.

Joyce, disgusted with myself in Indiana
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Gail :smile: Hope you had a good night sleep!!! Congrats on size 12`s…woo hoo!!!

Jb :smile: Your flowers are just beautiful:love: !!! I know the recital will go well, you`re a fabulous teacher!!!

Katla :smile: Your massage sounds wonderful! I could go for one, I tend to carry stress in my shoulders and mine are hurting this morning! I hope you get to go sailing this coming weekend!!! I have metal patio furniture so can`t help you on the rattan chairs, if you love them I would talk to someone who works in that dept. they should be able to tell you how durable they will be! Congrats on size medium capris!!!

Yanniejannie :smile: Tick hunting:noway: , I have to say better you than me, I just don`t think I could do that. Scary about the tick being on you, and leaving part of itself when you pulled it off….ick:sick: , gives me cold chills!

Glenda :smile: How nice to see your smiling face again!!! Hope you enjoy your trip!

Connie :smile: Congrats for declining the big cupcake, great NSV!!! Sounds like your veggie gardens are coming right along!!!

Lila :smile: Thanks for the meatloaf recipe, it sounds delish!!! I love lilacs too:love: , bet your house looks fabulous!!!

JaneM :smile: Nice to see you! How was the date with DH:heart: ?

Joyce :smile: Hang in here, sometimes the scale can be mean:angry: , keep doing the right things, it will eventually move. Have you measured yourself? Sometimes you lose inches instead of weight!

Meg :smile: Maybe your sleep was disturbed by DD#1, I know stress usually has me tossing and turning! Hope last night was better for you! Once my FitBit said I woke up 16 times and I remembered each time!

Tigress :smile: Working in the garden is a great workout!

LizMFP :smile: You sleep pattern:yawn: will show up on your FitBit account, I don`t know which one you have, I have the Ultra they don`t make those anymore, but if you the One it`s very similar.

Michele :smile: I think it`s about time I make a trip to the Farmers market, I`ve not been since last fall, the produce is so much better than what you find in the stores! You made 2 lemon cakes and you say you`re lazy:noway: , I don`t think you have a lazy bone in your body!!! It was rather warm and muggy yesterday, after a heavy rain shower here the temp dropped and I actually got chilly. I`ve never tried kohlrabi, let me know how it is!

Kate :smile: How nice to see you again!!! Please don`t let your blood pressure explode:noway: !!!! Put on that rainbow cloak!!!! Looking forward to reading your posts!

Joyce :smile: Why don`t you try to fit a couple of those mini bites of chocolate into your food goal? Maybe if you know you can have one or two you won`t crave it so much.

I replanted my flowers the bugger dug up, they seemed to be fine, I did have to scoop the dirt up from the deck. This morning all looks fine, plants are still in their pots:happy: ! I`m going to hold court this morning at the roundtable at Starbucks:bigsmile: , I`m feeling a bit bossy:devil: this morning and it will be good to take that out on the guys:laugh: !

On another note, today marks my one year anniversary on MFP:bigsmile: ! I thought I would be at my goal weight by now, however my body had other ideas:sad: . Still I`m much lighter than I was this time last year:bigsmile: !!! On to my second year now and hopefully closer to my goal! Thank you my friends for all your support:flowerforyou: !!!

Have a fantastic Sunday!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in cloudy, muggy NC:ohwell:
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Meg – Good for you that you’ve finished your chapter and were able to take a little time for yourself. I have no 2-legged kids, but I’m pretty sure you have the patience of a saint, that’s all I can say

Renny – riding your bike in the rain, now that’s commitment! I’ve done it before, but not on purpose:wink:

Kathyszoo – Yikes! That must have been really scary. Terrible way to wake up! Adrenaline rushes always leave me with a splitting headache afterward, hope you were able to get back to sleep and get some rest.

CityJane – Awesome accomplishment! How wonderful for you that this health journey has brought you to a place of strength and vitality. Hope you have a wonderful weekend with your houseguests, I’m sure your meals will be delicious!

Amanda – Healing and calming prayers to you and your Father

DeeDee – How nice that you got to hang out with friends AND get your flowers finished. Sorry a culprit dug up some of your handiwork! :grumble:

Rori – Doubt that you’re checking your computer much, but Aloha! Thinking of you and the sand and the waves --- ahhhh

Gail – Good luck on the pounds lost staying lost! Hoping your work week is calm and not chaos and that you have a wonderful day hanging out with your friend!

Connie – That is a Great NSV!!! Just say no to cupcakes :bigsmile: (excellent dedication)

Brooke from Colorado

“Your beliefs don’t make you a better person. Your behavior does.”
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    DeeDee: Happy 1st Anniversary! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: May it be the first of many. I hope you’ll be like Barbie and Amanda, and stick around for us after you reach your goal. :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

Brooke: I love today’s quote. Thanks!:flowerforyou:

Kate: Take care of yourself during this stressful time. Blood pressure needs to be taken seriously. I hope you’ll be back with us regularly soon.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: I have chocolate when I want, if I am under my calories for the day. I plan it, and have bought stuff that is in packages of one serving. I do NOT like the feeling of guilt at all. :noway: :noway: Dark chocolate is health food, you know. :love: I can’t say the same for milk chocolate, but that is because of all the other ingredients, not the chocolate. I hope you’ll be able to find a good way to ration yours so that it is a treat instead of a guilty pleasure.:flowerforyou:

DH is still sleeping soundly. I’m nearly always up first. I used to sleep in, but no more. :noway: Today I’m hoping to get more work done on the boat. The battery project is well under way, but DH has more to do. Keeping my fingers crossed that he feels good enough to do it. I do not possess the needed skills. :noway: I can clean, and provision, and run things, but I’m no mechanic, and no electrician. While I’m on the subject, we bought the battery at our local Les Schwab Tire Center. This is a chain of tire stores on the west coast. There was an issue hooking it up, and one of the guys came down to the boat to help DESPITE having trouble with seasickness just from sitting in the slip in calm water. WOW! We like this business and this particular store, but that level of service was a happy surprise.:bigsmile:

I hope each of you has a happy surprise today, too.:flowerforyou:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    Joyce - you and chocolate is just like me and potato chips. Except I don't think chips can ever be considered a health food - but heh there is potassium in them!!! That's my story and I am sticking to it.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Joyce, :flowerforyou: I'm actually quite proud of you! Admitting it is the first step towards getting those problem areas under control. Sugar addiction is horrible! I've had problems with it, too, and I know exactly what you mean about being disgusted with yourself! One thing I might suggest other than going cold turkey (which didn't work for me) is to buy yourself some expensive dark chocolate, cut it into little measured squares, wrap them all up individually, store them out of sight, allow yourself one a day. Wean yourself off of regular candy bars which are full of icky stuff. I had a problem with Snickers and Reese's, but when I started buying dark chocolate almond bark I never wanted the others again. Knowing I could have one piece a day helped tremendously, and now I don't desire it at all. If I want something sweet I'll go for fruit, a few raisins or dried apricots. You CAN make changes, you CAN get control over this. Go ahead and take a little step. :smile: Keep us posted!

Well today's the big day, I'm having my student recital at 3:00 this afternoon. I'll be busy all morning getting things ready. Wishing you all a wonderful Sunday!

:smile: jb in Portland where it might be sunny this afternoon :glasses:

PS! Congratulations DeeDee! :drinker: A full year!! So happy for you!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,332 Member
    Options
    Joyce - I used to be the same around cheese. It still is my most favourite thing in the world, especially the runny, smelly French ones! DH can't even have them in the house they smell so bad, so I used to pig out on them in secret. I used to buy a box and eat it all in one go, sometimes just sitting in the car, or even while driving home and hide the evidence. Or I would get up in the night and carve portions off the hard cheese we had in the fridge. The minute DH went out I would be in there, snaffelling the cheddar.
    In the last couple of years I have been scheduling in a small portion of cheese to my allowance. I noticed that when I was on holiday and the fridge was full of cheese that I was eating every day I wasn't craving it. I have improved my compulsion enormously and just have a measured 100 calories whenever I feel like it. I have even got some smelly cheese in there for my DSIL which I haven't already eaten! DH used to say we needed a lock on the cheese box. - now it's fine.
    Like others here I suggest you have chocolate every day, whether you want it or not, and you will soon stop craving it. Even a 200 calorie portion could be scheduled in.
    Good luck. I'm sure many of us have struggled with similar cravings and binges. That is why we are overweight. For some it's doughnuts, for others biscuits, for yet others, chips. For me, cheese. Well, it is food after all! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: