You CAN Spot Reduce

Options

Replies

• CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Here's a suggestion. To all those who think you can't spot reduce, don't. To those who think you can, give it a shot. Why argue about it for nearly five hundred posts?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Holy thread resurrection Batman...

300sw047yusw9.gif
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I think you CAN spot reduce too. I have. I've been doing side bends and crunches and those areas (as well as my arms due to my little weights when doing side bends) have slimmed down. It may be building muscle, but it's burning the fat too. Now, I also am doing cardio (jogging), but I wasn't doing it the whole time, and before I was doing it I was still seeing results in the areas I targeted.
  • aprilsirota
    aprilsirota Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. Jillian M even says that you can't in 30ds. You do exercise to build muscle so when you cut fat the muscle shows. That is why you bust your butt doing such exercise. If you could spot reduce I would have a 27 inch wait long ago. If your trainer told you that you can spot reduce get a NEW trainer cause they are telling you tall tales and I have a bridge to sell you!
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    dis-gon-b-gud.gif

LOL!
  • freebirdjones
    freebirdjones Posts: 237
    Options
    You can tone areas up by building muscle in said areas. When people say "you can't spot reduce" they mean that doing crunches over and over WILL NOT burn the fat off your stomach (I mean unless you incorporate into a cardio routine- now we're talking) It will only build up muscle so that it may look like you are slimmer but to lose that fat you have to do cardio and eat clean.

Of course you need to eat clean and burn fat with cardio, but you can build muscle in certain "spots" to improve the amount of muscle vs. fat in those spots.

I just hear so many people so frustrated with certain spots on their bodies and people are not giving them helpful info regarding how they can improve those spots.

LOL well this is not the info that will help them :P
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. Jillian M even says that you can't in 30ds. You do exercise to build muscle so when you cut fat the muscle shows. That is why you bust your butt doing such exercise. If you could spot reduce I would have a 27 inch wait long ago. If your trainer told you that you can spot reduce get a NEW trainer cause they are telling you tall tales and I have a bridge to sell you!

and I've done 30DS and I just finished up Extreme Shed and Shred AND still have a belly. I would love to tell my body to lose the belly, and voila, but that just doesn't happen. I've toned my muscle under the belly fat, but the belly fat is still there. It left my face first - then my butt, then my calf. I sure wish there was a way to spot reduce, but as eveyone said, you just can't do it. You can tone the muscle but not decide where the fat comes off of
  • viliwa
    viliwa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Actually you CAN spot reduce. But its marginal, if you do crunches for 1 year 30 minutes per day the reduce is only a few grams. There is a highly known research for this.
  • freebirdjones
    freebirdjones Posts: 237
    Options
    I think you CAN spot reduce too. I have. I've been doing side bends and crunches and those areas (as well as my arms due to my little weights when doing side bends) have slimmed down. It may be building muscle, but it's burning the fat too. Now, I also am doing cardio (jogging), but I wasn't doing it the whole time, and before I was doing it I was still seeing results in the areas I targeted.

If I work my bicep and I don't see results in that area something is wrong. Of course you seen results in the area you were working. If you did anything that that muscle the area may appear firmer but unless you are eating at a deficit you cannot lose fat. I believe the firmness was from working that area but I do not believe any fat burnt was from a 'spot tone' it was a deficit. You cannot spot tone. by that we mean you cannot workout a muscle and have the fat around that muscle burnt off as a result of that muscle growth.

Just to note. If you are building muscle and eating the same 1 lb of mucle burns 60 cals while 1 lb of fat burns 5. So as you get more fit your deficit will increase. Not by much but you know there are many factors contributing to the mind trickery of thinking you have spot toned.
  • viliwa
    viliwa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A 2006 study published in the American Journal of Physiology seemed to indicate that spot reduction may be possible, although to what degree is unclear. In the study, conducted at the University of Copenhagen (Denmark), scientists had male subjects perform single-leg extensions with light weight for 30 consecutive minutes. The researchers then measured the amount of blood flow to the subjects' subcutaneous fat cells in both the exercising and resting thighs, as well as the amount of lipolysis from those fat cells. The scientists observed increases in blood flow and lipolysis in the exercising leg when compared to the resting leg. The study suggested that during exercise, body fat is preferentially used from the area being trained.

"Are blood flow and lipolysis in subcutaneous adipose tissue influenced by contractions in adjacent muscles in humans?". Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab. 292 (2): E394–9. February 2007. doi:10.1152/ajpendo.00215.2006. PMID 16985258.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/are-blood-flow-and-lipolysis-in-subcutaneous-adipose-tissue-influenced-by-contractions-in-adjacent-muscle-in-humans-research-review.html

This has already been provided, but this summary from there may help put it into context:

Let me put that in context. First let’s assume that you’re carying a whopping 5 kg (11.1 pounds) of fat in a specific area.

If local exercise can mobilize 0.6-2.1 milligrams of fat per 100 grams of fat mass, that works out to:
    0.6-2.1 mg/100 grams * 1000 grams/kg * 5 kg = 30-105 milligrams of fat.
    Or 0.03-0.1 gram of extra fat mobilized in 30 minutes of activity.

Now, a single pound of fat (0.454 kg) contains about 400 grams of fat so our hypothetical 11.1 pounds of fat contains 4,440 grams of fat. And 30 minutes of local activity mobilized at most 0.1 gram of fat. Whoo hoo. You’ll be ripped in about 1000 years.
    Yup this was the research i was talking about...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m4a0yxV7pf1r3we6jo1_500.png
    Actually all you need is a calorie deficit to reduce body fat and weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Spot reduction can easily be done with liposuction! lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Actually you CAN spot reduce. But its marginal, if you do crunches for 1 year 30 minutes per day the reduce is only a few grams. There is a highly known research for this.
    Significance makes a difference though. The Earth "moves" in the opposite direction when you actually jump up into the air. Obviously not even close to significant for the senses to see or measure, but nonetheless it happens due to Newton's Law of Motion.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • aprilsirota
    aprilsirota Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. If your trains said you can get a new trainer! I have bridge to sell you too!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m4a0yxV7pf1r3we6jo1_500.png

I guess all the body fat I've lost doesn't count because I didn't lose it by eating "clean."
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread lives again.
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    This is why the Internet exists,lol
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    muscle weighs more than fat, so rather than try to spot reduce, you might just want to tone instead. This way, you'll tone up and not add all that heavy muscle and lose weight.

:laugh:

bwahahahahaha. Love this!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    There is one interesting study on it......

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/292/2/E394.full

The study seems to proves spot lipolysis...not spot reduction. There's a difference. Theoretically it proposes that spot reduction is not impossible as previously believed. However, there are several factors that can interfere with the reduction of the fat.

It by no means proves that spot reduction is possible. The authors even admit as much in the study. Acute spot lipolysis does not necessarily lead to spot reduction of fat in the long term. It's a beginning to an interesting line of possible studies that could show in the longer term whether spot lipolysis can be used to spot reduce fat, and studies to determine what exercise methods may accomplish this.

But for the time being, the bulk of the evidence still suggests that spot reduction is not possible.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    In to see proof in the form of someone who is lean on the right half of their body and obese on the left half.