T. Colin Campbell says 80-10-10 macros is healthiest diet!

Options

Replies

• momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    what 80 carb??? is that serious??

is that really how he breaks it down? that's insane.

or 80 protein? why is p,c, f not listed? I've never seen a "Standard" for how it's listed as in what goes first... I always put protein first- because it's the biggest part of my diet. zing.

besides the "whatever you eat- you still end with a load of crap" best comment in the thread.

Just watched a clip of Campbell speaking and he does advocate 80% carbs as the perfect ratio, 10% fat, 10% protein. Hard to wrap your mind around it!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a terrible idea.
    You're a graphic designer.
    T. Colin Campbell is a biochemist, microbiologist, and world renowned nutritionist.
    Does this still sound terrible, this idea?

Yes
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a "Whole" lot of crap to me. But to each their own.

I don't doubt it.

You again? Your credibility in anything science was killonged a while ago. You get so angry with dissenting opinions. YOu know your body releases stress hormones whenever you get mad and they can have a negative effect on your health. The internet might not be for you.

Edit: Aww, you did a quick edit.

Yeah we all can't be perfectionists like you. ;) It's sweet you think you are having any negative effect on me. However, it's very sad that people who claim they want to lose extra weight they have, will come and fight/argue with people who don't have extra weight. Hmm

ROFL, you're calling me fat! This is the best day ever!

Your ticker does say you have a lot to lose don't pretend he called you fat

You missed his pre-edit but are you agreeing with him that just because someone has some weight to lose that they can't have an opinion on health and nutrition?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    The biggest load of crap I've read/heard today bar none. Then again neither look like they've ever stepped foot in a gym. It's like needing a haircut and getting a trim from someone who's blind; it just doesn't make sense - at the very least not for bodybuilding or strength training.
    YOU STILL MIRIN BRAH???

arnold-schwarzenegger-shirtless.jpg

he looks pretty damn good for a man of 65.

^^ That's what I think every time I see that picture.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options

I don't doubt it.

You again? Your credibility in anything science was killonged a while ago. You get so angry with dissenting opinions. YOu know your body releases stress hormones whenever you get mad and they can have a negative effect on your health. The internet might not be for you.

Yeah we all can't be perfectionists like you. ;) It's sweet you think you are having any negative effect on me. However, it's very sad that people who claim they want to lose extra weight they have, will come and fight/argue with people who don't have extra weight. Hmm

[/quote]

You missed his pre-edit but are you agreeing with him that just because someone has some weight to lose that they can't have an opinion on health and nutrition?
    [/quote]

Of course every one can have an opinion on nutrition
  • brower47
    Options

I don't doubt it.

Of course every one can have an opinion on nutrition

Then I'm confused because that's what he was implying.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    T. Colin Campbell is a biochemist, microbiologist, and world renowned nutritionist.

Just because someone has credentials does not mean they are right. Science isn't a cult.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    chuck-norris-approved.gif
    dodgeball-thankyou.gif
  • geekette411
    geekette411 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to sit here quietly and wait for pork or protein to killong me...
  • winchestervol63
    winchestervol63 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The biggest load of crap I've read/heard today bar none. Then again neither look like they've ever stepped foot in a gym. It's like needing a haircut and getting a trim from someone who's blind; it just doesn't make sense - at the very least not for bodybuilding or strength training.
    YOU STILL MIRIN BRAH???

arnold-schwarzenegger-shirtless.jpg

he looks pretty damn good for a man of 65.

Yeah, all I see is a 65 year old man who hasn't worked out a whole lot lately and yet still has a fairly decent amount of muscle mass. By comparison, Elton John is 66 and won't take his shirt off in public.
    Doug Graham, author of the 80-10-10 Diet, is 60 and......... AND.....

DrDougGraham.jpg

Arnold might've been the man when Dolly Parton was at her sexual peak but right today he couldn't lift more, run faster, or sound more educated than Doug Graham. Do you want quick results or fruitful longevity?

The picture of Arnold is very old and may have been taken when he was having some acute health issues. Below is a link to him working out in 2013. I'd be willing to bet that TWO Doug Graham's couldn't lift what Arnold can, so let's don't get carried away. Regardless of what either of them can do a single person's results aren't remotely proof that any system is better than another. Surely that could be agreed upon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdh351Y7wxQ

Anyone who likes 80/10/10 is free to do it and those who don't are free not to.
  • brower47
    Options

Just because someone has credentials does not mean they are right. Science isn't a cult.

Exactly. There are people out there, in the same field, with the same amount of credentials and they disagree with each other.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Exactly. There are people out there, in the same field, with the same amount of credentials and they disagree with each other.

^ This.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I've missed all the good threads today! Locked and gone. I put the book on order at the library, I am curious to see what he has to say. I cannot imagine *not* being a miserable fat hungry wreck on 80/10/10!
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Macros are overrated. There I've said it. I'll run and hide now.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options

^ This.
    The big problem with Dr. Campbell is he's let his bias get in the way of science and expects the masses to accept him verbatim........those illustrious days of romance are over.:wink:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've missed all the good threads today! Locked and gone. I put the book on order at the library, I am curious to see what he has to say. I cannot imagine *not* being a miserable fat hungry wreck on 80/10/10!

I don't think people would be hungry on 80/10/10...because real hunger is driven by total calories and not as much macros...and even if they were at first, I suspect that would diminish as they became accustomed to it.

That said, I also doubt this is ideal. It goes against my understanding of the role a sufficient amount of dietary fats plays in our health, especially for the endocrine system. I suspect the amount of protein would be inconsistent with my current goals as well..
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options

I don't think people would be hungry on 80/10/10...because real hunger is driven by total calories and not as much macros...and even if they were at first, I suspect that would diminish as they became accustomed to it.

That said, I also doubt this is ideal. It goes against my understanding of the role a sufficient amount of dietary fats plays in our health, especially for the endocrine system. I suspect the amount of protein would be inconsistent with my current goals as well..
    Think for a minute and imagine what type of carbs will allow protein and fat not to exceed 10% That's a lot, and I mean a ton of vegetables.....at my current 3000 calorie intake I would not have my face away from the salad bar, and my jaw would be sore from chewing all day.....and I get to compromise my lean body mass and at the same time compromise my test levels with fat being that low.......
  • brower47
    Options

Think for a minute and imagine what type of carbs will allow protein and fat not to exceed 10% That's a lot, and I mean a ton of vegetables.....at my current 3000 calorie intake I would not have my face away from the salad bar, and my jaw would be sore from chewing all day.....and I get to compromise my lean body mass and at the same time compromise my test levels with fat being that low.......

Not to mention the wear and tear on your teeth with all that chewing... unless you became a juicer.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Don't do that dangerous diet. You might feel good for a couple of years (3-5 years) but eventually, the health issues start to accumulate. If you want to read from people who tried it and fortunately had a wake up call, here it is: http://30bananasadaysucks.com/
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    It also depends on your intake compared to your weight. For my weight, pre-pregnancy, my TDEE was high, so to get above the 0.8g/kg WHO recommendations I might still have a protein ratio in the teens. That little fat doesn't sound much fun though...