Options
    First off, I'm still a newbie on MFP.

TL;DR

epic-facepalm-18651_o.gif
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I broadly agree with the OP's post.

I frequent "Fitness & Exercise" because that's what I know and I may be able to answer a question for someone. I attempt to be helpful and sincere in everything I write (unless it's obviously a joke thread). If I see a topic that has fail written all over it and nothing I say will help because no one will be receptive to it, then I stay out of it. Example "OMG I eat 800 cals and things aren't working......", if you respond with the correct answer, which is to find out your TDEE and eat at a sensible deficit to your TDEE, will that advice sink and and be welcomed? No. Unfortunately, you will be told you are mean and nasty and a bully and they are going to quit, etc, etc, etc. I tried it when I first joined, thinking that helpful advice might be considered at least. Now I know better.

Some people see the same thing posted over and over and post advice which may be true, but post it in an unhelpful way. As in, "you effing dummy don't you know that only idiots are doing this, do this instead". I try to avoid making this kind of reply. People aren't born knowing things, they must learn them. And internet warrior "experts" had to learn them too at one point (although they have probably chosen to forget this fact). Unfortunately, well intentioned and well phrased advice will still be ignored by a person who will not listen. It's an intractable problem.

There's a lot of wrong in the world and there are a tonne of pointless disagreements on the interent. I think a modicum of courtesy, an open mind and an open ear go a long way. In life and on a forum.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Long post is long

You're certainly entitled to your own opinion, and if you think this forum is ill-mannered I can see how that would be frustrating. However I would like to point out something that, to me at least, is a warning sign.

It looks like you haven't even been a member for a full month yet. If after a month you're already 'fed up', how can you expect to overcome all the difficulties with getting in shape and being healthy? Those things aren't easy either, and the world is full to the brim with people who'll tell you this and this miracle cure will help you drop 200 lbs and pick up Adriana Lima as a concubine in 37 seconds, or people who are bitter that they couldn't get in shape and will try to cut you down and tell you how you can't succeed.

If I were you, I'd think long and hard about just what is worth getting up in arms about, and what you should just rise above and ignore.

Good luck to you, either way.

^This is a very good point.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    STOP FEEDING THE TROLLS!
  • nicolej1016
    nicolej1016 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Well put, and thank you. Sadly though, there will always be people who like to stir up others.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    First off, I'm still a newbie on MFP.

TL;DR

epic-facepalm-18651_o.gif

LOL
  • spongeh
    spongeh Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    internet-troll.jpg
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Here they come!!!

angrymobfunrun.jpg
  • skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132
    Options
    Stick around, it will change.
    We are still riding the wave of people who joined to fulfill a New Year's Resolution and haven't given up yet, and some of the people who joined in April or May have just finally heard about it from their friend who lost 10-20 pounds between January and April.
    A lot of people will get more serious about MFP through the summer and drop out by Fall. Then you'll see a subtle change in the forums.

Says the person who joined four days ago

Hahahaha. Didn't notice that before. Maybe this is another account of theirs?
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Stick around, it will change.
    We are still riding the wave of people who joined to fulfill a New Year's Resolution and haven't given up yet, and some of the people who joined in April or May have just finally heard about it from their friend who lost 10-20 pounds between January and April.
    A lot of people will get more serious about MFP through the summer and drop out by Fall. Then you'll see a subtle change in the forums.

Says the person who joined four days ago

Been on the site for 3 years...got a new email and started a new account.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    STOP FEEDING THE TROLLS!

LOL
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    interestingiftrue_zps34e1a75a.gif
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    OP - good point.

I try to share what is working for me, give such advice as my advanced years consider appropriate (considering the questions asked) and try to throw in a little humour where I can - because its a long haul and we don't want to obsess about every calorie of lettuce.

I know what is working for me, I know there are things I wouldn't do because they're just not for me (like swimming - because I can't). But that doesn't mean they won't work for others, so I wouldn't say to anyone that is bad advice.

There are some whose attitude is "my way is the only way". I don't believe their way is the only way, but I would never say they couldn't follow that path because that's their choice. I just wish they could put their points across more reasonably sometimes.

Stick with us:flowerforyou:
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    if i lost 1 lb for everytime i heard that

For real!
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    OP, the forums are what they are. If it bothers you that much I'd suggest getting a supportive friends list and staying away from the forums altogether. Net scolding isn't going to change the way the forum denizens behave.

Rage quitting is also an option.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Here they come!!!

angrymobfunrun.jpg
  • spongeh
    spongeh Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    If your having trouble on the forums, I've heard Jesus can help.....
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading after the first point. I got fed up with the self righteousness.

Me too. Someone has to learn how the internets work. Take what you want and leave the rest OP...
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I came in here prepared for another 'People are being mean!' post.

I was pleasantly surprised. The only thing I would add is this:

8) Don't take any of this too personally. If someone made a joke at your expense it's not the end of the world. Brush it off and go about your business with dignity. Everybody here with over 200 posts (some maybe less) has had a joke made at their expense. The truth is their still breathing and still moving closer to their goals.

9) DON'T BE TOO PROUD TO ADMIT WHEN YOU'VE MADE A MISTAKE- I see so many people caught up and being 'right' on the forums that they absolutely REFUSE to learn anything. I type before I think, I misinterpret data, I make jokes that are offensive, and sometimes I cross the lines. But at the end of the day I learn things on these boards because I work at staying humble.

Hey you everybody else, you're doing real good and I'mma let you finish, but PlayerHatinDoGooder had the best response of all time. All time!

tumblr_mn1agvniiu1qha8lao1_500.gif
  • djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I think thats well said, unfortunately you can't control how people are. You can, however control who you interact with