Getting fed up with bad forum etiquette

Options

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    You make a few good points, but there's no changing other people. The only thing you can do, or any of us can do, is grow a thicker skin and not let silly words on a computer screen get us too upset.

A few of us do get to meet each other or develop internet friendship bonds with people on our friends list, but for the most part, all we are to each other are some random words on a screen, a few oddly angled selfless, and funny gifs. Nothing more.

Letting a few words on a computer screen upset us isn't a good use of energy.

Personally, I don't want it to change. The silly battles make for great daytime entertainment.
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    Way to waste your time and indignation. Somewhere someone is experimenting on fluffy animals, kids are being beaten and people are starving (granted, some of those starving people ARE here). Etcetera, etcetera.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    You make a few good points, but there's no changing other people. The only thing you can do, or any of us can do, is grow a thicker skin and not let silly words on a computer screen get us too upset.

A few of us do get to meet each other or develop internet friendship bonds with people on our friends list, but for the most part, all we are to each other are some random words on a screen, a few oddly angled selfless, and funny gifs. Nothing more.

Letting a few words on a computer screen upset us isn't a good use of energy.

Personally, I don't want it to change. The silly battles make for great daytime entertainment.

I was going to comment until I found that Ginger said everything I planned to say!! So, I am QFT!!!!
  • mobilephone2003
    Options
    This is what happens when no forum moderators are around.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all." Literally. Some posts on here are just too stupid to respond to. So I don't. A lot of other people don't have that willpower.

A fan, but not a proponent, apparently.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I'm always intrigued by message board complaints about rudeness. Invariably, the rude people prove the OP point. It's not "the Internet", which of course is not a place but just a conduit, it's the anonymity. Same principle that applies to people flipping you off on the highway at 70 mph who are less inclined to do so at a stop light.

Imagine if instead of posting on a board we were all sitting around in a room talking. It would go way differently.

Maybe I'm not mature enough yet for these types of relationships but I'm WAY worse to my friends IRL than I am to anyone here on the forums.

If we were sitting in a room talking, I'd be bored and focusing on getting drunk, so I think the main difference is that this way I'm able to stay within my calories for the day.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ltdzv4HGwn1qh5ll7o1_500_zps25765bba.gif

OP you're considerably more articulate than most of the people who start these threads. I agree with most of your points. But you're not likely to change the way people behave. The best thing you can do is to behave the way you think everyone should, enjoy the funny gifs, and don't take anything too personally (especially me, because I love the gifs. It's a sickness, really).
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    9) DON'T BE TOO PROUD TO ADMIT WHEN YOU'VE MADE A MISTAKE- I see so many people caught up and being 'right' on the forums that they absolutely REFUSE to learn anything. I type before I think, I misinterpret data, I make jokes that are offensive, and sometimes I cross the lines. But at the end of the day I learn things on these boards because I work at staying humble.

This really needs to be repeated. I have learned so much from these forums and solid information can come from some of the snarkiest people around. We all make mistakes, but if you are humble and willing to listen you WILL learn so much here.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    tl;dr

This is one of the nicest forums I have been a member of. People just need to quit being such babies

tumblr_lx7kj36jZD1qjnlpf_zps23b8d884.gif
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I have a personal policy of getting in on every whiny thread about how mean people are.

I'm sort of out of things to contribute to these threads, so I'm here just so I don't break my streak.

Please, continue.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I came in here prepared for another 'People are being mean!' post.

I was pleasantly surprised. The only thing I would add is this:

8) Don't take any of this too personally. If someone made a joke at your expense it's not the end of the world. Brush it off and go about your business with dignity. Everybody here with over 200 posts (some maybe less) has had a joke made at their expense. The truth is their still breathing and still moving closer to their goals.

9) DON'T BE TOO PROUD TO ADMIT WHEN YOU'VE MADE A MISTAKE- I see so many people caught up and being 'right' on the forums that they absolutely REFUSE to learn anything. I type before I think, I misinterpret data, I make jokes that are offensive, and sometimes I cross the lines. But at the end of the day I learn things on these boards because I work at staying humble.

Hey you everybody else, you're doing real good and I'mma let you finish, but PlayerHatinDoGooder had the best response of all time. All time!

tumblr_mn1agvniiu1qha8lao1_500.gif

BWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHHAHAHAHHAHA
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    Does MFP have a internet entry in daily food

seems with all the grains of salt people are taking here this would be ideal to track...
  • Lynds7128
    Lynds7128 Posts: 132
    Options
    20391088_zps1a65fab9.jpg
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I agree with much of what you said...will it change anyone's behavior?

probably not.

I was pretty much going to type exactly this. It sucks that there are jerks (I can be one sometimes too), but for the most part the larger portion of people here are very supportive. Don't let the forums deter you from using this site to better your situation in life.

I thought you liked me Mary Beth!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.

I have been told that most people are really decent in real life but they like to be nasty on line.
    I think that's BS.
    If a person is decent in real life then they will be the same on line and vice versa.

There is a roving band of Internet bullies who feed off of each other, same as on the playground.
    I was naively hoping they would wear out their welcome but apparently they are a tenacious breed and the moderators don't see them as a problem.

Do what others have said.
    Carefully choose your forum topics, ignore the rude, annoying posters and report the abusive ones.

Get a great friend list of like-minded people and get your main support from them.
    Stay off of chit chat, especially at night.

I feel your frustration.
    Sadly the posts by well meaning, intelligent members are far outnumbered by the ignorant egomaniacs.

There are some great people on here with helpful advice/information.
    You will learn who to take seriously and who to ignore.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    When in the history of the world has it been well-received to come into an established community and right off the bat say "I think that the way this community (that I'm not really familiar with and don't understand) functions is all wrong"?
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    When in the history of the world has it been well-received to come into an established community and right off the bat say "I think that the way this community (that I'm not really familiar with and don't understand) functions is all wrong"?

I think the US has tried this recently...
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I came in here prepared for another 'People are being mean!' post.

I was pleasantly surprised. The only thing I would add is this:

8) Don't take any of this too personally. If someone made a joke at your expense it's not the end of the world. Brush it off and go about your business with dignity. Everybody here with over 200 posts (some maybe less) has had a joke made at their expense. The truth is their still breathing and still moving closer to their goals.

^^^^^This.
    :drinker:
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

I have been told that most people are really decent in real life but they like to be nasty on line.
    I think that's BS.
    If a person is decent in real life then they will be the same on line and vice versa.

Nasty people will be nasty, whether on the net or in real life. It's how we deal with them that matters.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    In for gifs
    tumblr_m7oro4iMzW1qiomupo1_500.gif