How do you fix your oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I don't like to eat much for breakfast...makes me feel sick. What I do eat most of the time is 1/8C instant oatmeal + 1/4C water + 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil + 1-2 dashes of salt. I will try some of the other suggestions for other meals/snacks.

Edited to add water.
  • cadillacjames
    cadillacjames Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on "Bob's Red Mill Organic Whole Grain High Fiber Hot Cereal". Cook it stove-top for 10 minutes. I mix in Tera's Organic Whey Protein (1/2 scoop per serving of Bob's), and 1 tbsp of organic honey per serving. I make about 6 servings worth every Sunday, then refrigerate it in mugs for the week, so I can quickly eat before leaving for work without having to cook every morning. Works great for a good high protein high fiber breakfast. (about 250 calories per serving with everything above)

Bob's Red Mill
    http://www.bobsredmill.com/organic-high-fiber-cereal.html

Tera's whey: Organic Bourbon Vanilla Whey Protein
    http://www.teraswhey.com/organic-whey/12oz-organic-madagascar-bourbon-vanilla-whey-protein.html
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I do plain steel-cut oats made with water as directed, but add a scoop of body fortress whey protein vanilla flavored, with cinnamon. Its delish.
  • MissRae123
    MissRae123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Brown sugar, walnuts and a smashed up banana
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have a mix-and-match formula. I always add 1 tsp each of chia seeds and flax seeds. Then I add 1 tbsp dried fruit (apples. raisins, cherries, blueberries, whatever sounds good that week), 1 tbsp chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds, pistachios, whatever goes well with my fruit) and 1 tsp sweetener (either brown sugar, real maple syrup or honey). Every once in a while I will find or make a fruit butter (apple butter, pumpkin butter, peach butter) and I will replace the dried fruit with that – but if I use a fruit butter I omit the sweetener. And I almost always top it with cinnamon because I love cinnamon. Yum yum!
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal! i put milk instead of water in mine, and sliced up bananas, and I also like to put in some of my vanilla protein, sometimes i add peanutbutter too.
  • kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I use the "Apples in a Bag" recipe and put them in my oatmeal, but I only put 1/2 tsp of sugar in since it doesn't really need much. I also use whatever apples I have, doesn't matter the kind (although I usually have pink lady apples), any of them taste great with this recipe!

http://www.salad-in-a-jar.com/family-recipes/apples-in-a-bag
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    add almond butter during cooking, some cinnamon, top with berries.
    Or I cook it in apple sauce instead of water, add cinnamon
  • jlfoster0427
    Options
    I add 3 teaspoons of brown sugar and some cinnamon to 3/4 cup of cooked oatmeal :) I think old fashioned oats taste best
  • alethea88
    alethea88 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It depends when I eat it.

- Breakfast: I add raisin and banana slices. sometimes I use skim milk and sometimes just hot water.

- Lunch: I replace rice with oat porridge... and I enjoy it with chicken/fish and veggies.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    With a hammer and saw. Harharhar.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    How much PB2 do you put in...say, 1/2 cup dry oats? I have both and that sounds amazing for breakfast tomorrow!
  • hagofnaedre
    hagofnaedre Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Gold Standard whey protein powder, in French Vanilla with peanut butter... mixed in.

Heaven.
  • momshell2b
    momshell2b Posts: 2
    Options
    p'nut butter and chocolate powder-that sounds delish
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats with PB2 (powdered peanut butter) and maple syrup .... mmmmm

On the weekend I make it using milk (for more protein) and add Craisins & cinnamon

How much PB2 do you put in...say, 1/2 cup dry oats? I have both and that sounds amazing for breakfast tomorrow!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup water, a tablespoon of mixed dried fruit (cherries, craisins, blueberry, cut up prune mix is my favorite) and add cinnamon if you like it.
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I add approx a tablespoon of raisins to 2 cups of water and 1 cup of rolled oats. Bring to a boil and then simmer on low until the water is all soaked up (approx 15 minutes) stirring occasionally.

I put a cup of cooked oatmeal in a big bowl and top with raspberries, blackberries, blueberries (1/2 - 1 cup of each). Love it this way!!

I put the leftover oatmeal in a glass jar. When I reheat I add 1/8 - 1/4 cup of water to the oatmeal and warm up on lowest setting in a covered saucepan.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    lots of cilantro, half a tomato, fresh jalapeño ( serrano ) chile to taste and some onion ( preferably green ) all finely chopped with half a teaspoon of masala powder, a sprinkle of sea salt or japanese Dashi and a drizzle of lime juice.
    Re-invented from the Indian Breakfast dish called " Upma " which uses Cream of Wheat.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I put blueberries in it today.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I drink my oats every day...

1 banana
    1 scoop protein powder
    1/2 cup dry oats
    6 ice cubes
    1 cup water or unsweetened almond milk.

About 400-450 calories and it serves as my first meal as well.