Looking to lose 10-15 pounds a month

Options

Replies

• Amyy1982
    Amyy1982 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I lost about 15lbs the first month and I started at 232lbs. Now I'm happy if I lose 1lbs a week but I'm OK with that ... the longer it takes to come off the longer it stays off :wink: You are on the right track, just continue doing what you are doing and the weight will come off. It's a lifetime change so don't give yourself any deadlines :smile:

Good luck and keep up the good work :flowerforyou:
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your input. Even though everyone always says 1-2 lbs/week is healthy weight loss, I kinda disagree. People are different and everybody's body reacts different to diet and exercise. I've also read that the more weight you have to lose the quicker it comes off.

You might want to chat with your doctor about getting a few blood tests done every month or two. When people get bariatric surgery, they lose at those rates afterwards but under supervision (which pretty much translates to getting the labs done). People were concerned about me in the early stages of my current loss. When they said it wasn't healthy, I said "compared to what?". I have slowed the rate more recently so the maintenance adjustment will be easier.
  • envyme521
    envyme521 Posts: 35
    Options
    you could do a meal replacement shake, have you tried this? we have taken gluten and sugar out of our diet and have 1 shake for one meal per day. am losing about 2 lbs per week

I was waiting to get the ok on the meal replacements from my doctor.
  • SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Lets look at this a different way, yes you can lose that much 'weight' a month but would you want to? unless you have a medical reason to lose the weight quickly and itl benefit your initial health to do it then why not lose it slowly?

Weight loss = water, fat, muscle and bone
    Fat loss = water/ fat loss but sustains muscle mass and bone density.

Your body is smart it can't be tricked into losing fat from a certain place at once or just 100% fat. Our bodies will lose only so much fat quickly as we need fat for bodily functions and it ends up attacking lean mass (muscle stores) so yes the scales will continue to go down but you will feel bigger in yourself as muscle is leaner, taking up less space and the more muscle you have increases your metabolism which aids fat loss.

lose weight to make a smaller version of yourself
    lose fat to change your body composition

Side effects of losing weight rapidly are an increase of body fat % which in most cases makes you look worse than when you weighed more, an increased risk in osteoporosis and muscle loss/ weakness.

My goal is to become fit and healthy i don't care about how much the scales shows me it's all about the body fat %
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    that's my goal and I'm sticking to it.

Well, okay then.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Here's my monthly losses from the start - start ~245lbs:

Month 1 - 14.5 lbs 1200calories/day
    Month 2 - 9 lbs
    Month 3 - 7.2 lbs
    Month 4 - 7.6 lbs
    Month 5 - 8.6 lbs upped to 1350 calories/day
    Month 6 - 5.8 lbs
    Month 7 - 5.4 lbs
    Month 8 - 3 lbs
    Month 9 - 5 lbs
    Month 10 - 3.8 lbs
    Month 11 - 6.8 lbs upped to 1430 calories/day

Weight loss is not regular and you can't really control it. Setting this sort of unrealistic goal is most likely setting yourself up to fail.
  • peachykeek
    peachykeek Posts: 19
    Options
    i do think it's true that the more weight you have to lose, the quicker it comes off, but the more weight you lose, the less you have to lose... so it's going to start coming off more slowly.

i read the following blurb in an article on weightwatchers.com:

Quick fix, fast failure
    "[With quick-fix diets], our metabolism slows down, and eventually we're eating fewer and fewer calories but not losing weight," says Mandel. "This leads to anxiety, which prompts us to eat even fewer calories to try to lose. The body rebels against that even more."

So it's a vicious cycle. Because if you don't get enough nutrients — which is a major risk when you're going for a quick fix — your brain, and then your body, will, well, insist that you eat. To your body, it's nothing more than survival. But to you, it will feel like you're giving in and losing control. Then you'll feel like a failure, which might very well send you to the fridge.

It's a never-ending yo-yo cycle of weight gain, then loss, then gain again. Go for slow and steady weight loss (a healthy rate is two pounds per week or less), and not only will you be doing a service to your body, you'll also be more likely to keep that weight off for good. Isn't that better than rebounding?"

i'm down to my last 15-20 pounds, and it's coming off SUPER slowly. one thing i remind myself is that the longer it takes me, the more time i have to build healthy habits that i'll be able to maintain.

it's good to have a goal, but i think what most people are saying here (and i agree) is that a goal of 3-4 pounds a week is just unrealistic in the long-run, and you're setting yourself up for frustration and disappointment... that will likely end up in you making unhealthy and counterproductive choices.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your input. Even though everyone always says 1-2 lbs/week is healthy weight loss, I kinda disagree. People are different and everybody's body reacts different to diet and exercise. I've also read that the more weight you have to lose the quicker it comes off.

Sooooooo...if your mind is made up and you disagree with biology and science, why come here asking for advice/approval?
  • ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥
    ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥ Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I've seen it done via slimming world classes. One girl lost 8 stone in under 8 months when I used to attend. It just shows that it can be done.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I wonder how quickly it came back afterwards.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Instead of concentrating on how much you must lose every month, and disagreeing with the good advice you're getting, set your calorie goals to lose 2 pounds a week, weigh and measure absolutely everything you consume, aim to exercise 1 hour every day (whatever you can do that is comfortable), and just track it?

8 pounds a month is nothing to shake a stick at. Your doctor will be happy, you'll be happy, and you'll still get to goal. The only difference is you won't have the unfortunate metabolic damage that will result from a crash diet that makes you (1) fail or (2) gain it all back and then some when you get to goal and start trying to eat at maintenance.

Advice is only worth as much credit as you're willing to give it. If you're not willing to take good advice, then don't expect good results. Or don't ask what people think if you're going to just come back and tell everyone who has succeeded or are succeeding that they're wrong.
  • autumnpath
    autumnpath Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The closer you get to your goal weight, the more time it will take you to lose. It's great that you've managed to drop that much weight but it does happen that way at first. Don't expect to lose a certain amount, keep doing what you're doing and be happy when you lose even one pound a week!

This. I lost a ton of weight in the first five months or so...and then it slowed way down now that I'm 63 pounds down....kinda smacked me in the face as I was expecting to keep losing that quickly...now, yes, I'm so excited to lose a pound a week...but sometimes that doesn't happen and I've come to realize it's ok...this is a process...and it's gonna take time...I'd rather be healthy in the end than strive to lose as quick as I can....
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Nothing that leads to a rate of loss that high is sustainable once the weight is gone.
    The only way I lost weight that fast in the past was the Karen Carpenter diet, minus the ipecac because I have an unfortunately all too natural barf reflex. It took me about 2 decades to recover digestive control. But i didn't change my life style or my relationship with food.
    I've lost 90 pounds so far over a 21 month period. Still 40 to go.
    Set reasonable and sustainable goals. Don't do anything dangerous and unhealthy because you are impatient for results.
    I didn't gain 10 pounds a month.
    Because I changed how I eat in a way that I can maintain when I get to my goal weight, all I have to do is eat more.
    But when one dives into fad diets that promise instant results, the weight loss is unlikely to be sustained.
  • autumnpath
    autumnpath Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i do think it's true that the more weight you have to lose, the quicker it comes off, but the more weight you lose, the less you have to lose... so it's going to start coming off more slowly.

i read the following blurb in an article on weightwatchers.com:

Quick fix, fast failure
    "[With quick-fix diets], our metabolism slows down, and eventually we're eating fewer and fewer calories but not losing weight," says Mandel. "This leads to anxiety, which prompts us to eat even fewer calories to try to lose. The body rebels against that even more."

THIS TOO. Seriously.

So it's a vicious cycle. Because if you don't get enough nutrients — which is a major risk when you're going for a quick fix — your brain, and then your body, will, well, insist that you eat. To your body, it's nothing more than survival. But to you, it will feel like you're giving in and losing control. Then you'll feel like a failure, which might very well send you to the fridge.

It's a never-ending yo-yo cycle of weight gain, then loss, then gain again. Go for slow and steady weight loss (a healthy rate is two pounds per week or less), and not only will you be doing a service to your body, you'll also be more likely to keep that weight off for good. Isn't that better than rebounding?"

i'm down to my last 15-20 pounds, and it's coming off SUPER slowly. one thing i remind myself is that the longer it takes me, the more time i have to build healthy habits that i'll be able to maintain.

it's good to have a goal, but i think what most people are saying here (and i agree) is that a goal of 3-4 pounds a week is just unrealistic in the long-run, and you're setting yourself up for frustration and disappointment... that will likely end up in you making unhealthy and counterproductive choices.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

So people who have lost weight the HEALTHY way are giving you advice, that is correct and because it's not exactly what you want to hear you disagree?

You won't be able to keep up that loss, I promise you. You may even have a month or two where you don't lose anything.

I know you're not listening to any of the advice that is good, but aim for 1-2lbs a week. 4-6lbs a month. I promise you will be much happier with the results.
  • ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥
    ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥ Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I wonder how quickly it came back afterwards.

I met her a few weeks ago and she's still lost the weight...has a few more stones to go though.

I still follow the slimming world plan as its basically just a healthy diet.
  • envyme521
    envyme521 Posts: 35
    Options
    I'm not starving myself to reach my goal. I'm just eating a lot less than what I used to. I used to eat pasta, bread, and pizza all the time and a lot of emotional eating. Now that I cut that out and walk my stress away, I am losing the weight. I just want it to come off a little quicker. I'm not doing a quick weight loss diet or anything. I cook at home, but there a few days in there that I ate out somewhere and managed to stay within my calories.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

tumblr_m5xzmd7rgz1qbaj4uo1_400.gif
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I'm not starving myself to reach my goal. I'm just eating a lot less than what I used to. I used to eat pasta, bread, and pizza all the time and a lot of emotional eating. Now that I cut that out and walk my stress away, I am losing the weight. I just want it to come off a little quicker. I'm not doing a quick weight loss diet or anything. I cook at home, but there a few days in there that I ate out somewhere and managed to stay within my calories.

Are you not listening to anything we are saying?

You didn't put it on over night, you're not going to lose it over night.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Aim to lose 7 per month. If anything, you'll end up exceeding your expectations and it will keep you motivated.
This discussion has been closed.