Looking to lose 10-15 pounds a month

Options

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Crazy...losing weight like this isn't possible to do so healthily...only people on The Biggest Loser lose weight like that..and who knows what goes on behind the cameras that we, the viewers don't see.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your input. Even though everyone always says 1-2 lbs/week is healthy weight loss, I kinda disagree. People are different and everybody's body reacts different to diet and exercise. I've also read that the more weight you have to lose the quicker it comes off.

So... why ask if your mind is made up?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    So YES...people can lose more than 8 lbs a month. Lots of people do, and YES everyone is different. But I don't think you should be so focused on how much you can lose in a month. You should focus on changing your lifestyle so when the weight has come off it will stay off. Everyone here is giving great advice.

I have to agree with this. Maybe set a goal distance to walk or something to that effect instead of a weight loss goal.

I am losing at a rate of roughly 2.1lbs per week, but I'm not trying to. In fact I have my fitbit and MFP both set for only 1lb per week. I'm not doing anything special to obtain this loss, I actually want it to slow down. My main focus is to be more active, eat healthier (but still enjoy my favorite foods), get stronger, and to eventually look great. I know that I will probably hit a plateau sooner or later, because of the rate of loss I am having it seems almost impossible not to. Have you even tried seeing what would happen if you only aimed for 1lb a week? You might surprise yourself and lose more than you think.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Best way is to start with the appendages...then move to the organs.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    "Overview (why I'm posting this)
    Over the course of about 7 months on here, I have seen many people succeed, I have also seen some drop off the map. I expect this is because some succumb to the demon that is temptation, and some to the devil that is disappointing. I wanted to give a few "heads up"s to both new comers and veterans to the site. Some may know already, some may not. But either way, if this helps anyone to set more realistic goals in their own head, I feel like it has done it's job.

Phase 1. The start of a brand new day! (or week, or month, or year)
    Expectations are sky high, usually so is motivation and intentions. This is where most people lose the most weight. At the start it's not uncommon to see 4 to 8 lb losses per week. The reasons for this are mostly (sorry to disappoint) water weight. You drop excess water quickly, and you can have up to 5 lbs of water weight. The next biggest reason is the fat that is right next to the blood vessels, the stuff that you put on in the last month or three, it will melt like butter usually.

Phase 2. Reality setting in.
    At about week 3 to a month or so, people suddenly realize that they are no longer dropping 8, 6, or even 4 lbs a week. This is a crucial phase in your journey. Expect this, it is natural. You have shocked your body by changing both eating habits and exercise routine. Now it has had a little while to become used to the new lifestyle, it's going to compensate. Your body still doesn't believe it's permanent yet, so it will still try to store some fat, so now that it knows how to regulate it's new metabolic levels, it tries to store fat in earnest. It's not uncommon for people to hit a wall here, no loss for weeks. Expect this as well.

Phase 3. The routine.
    At about 2 months or so, your routine is pretty much set, your body is beginning to believe that you really want to STAY the way you are going now. You will start to see more consistent (but lower, usually 1 to 2 lbs a week) loss, also, you should start seeing some muscle tone (depending on how much you had to lose in the first place). If you stop to think, you should realize that you have improved dramatically in your exercise levels. If you do cardio, you should notice how much longer and harder you can work. This is important to realize as it is just as big of an indicator as weight loss. Also, by now you may notice that your clothes no longer fit right. This is also very important. The weight may not be falling off anymore, but you are becoming a smaller person. Weight is arbitrary, if you are building muscle (which your body is doing at a furious pace by now) you won't notice huge losses, but you will notice wholesale changes in the mirror!

Phase 4. Really digging in.
    This is where the second wall can happen. You're probably at between 3 and 4 months by now, and if you have gone this far, you feel like you have already succeeded. This is where many people stumble. they are tired of the routine, tired of eating different things from all their friends, limiting their alcohol intake. Basically the shine has worn off. this is when your really need to plant your feet. Maybe change up your exercise routine, make a concentrated effort to find different, but still nutritional food. Talk to people. And examine how far you have come. At this point, no matter how much external motivation you receive, it's all about believing in yourself!

Phase 5. End game.
    5 or 6 months in you are probably working on that "last 10 pounds". This can be discouraging for many as it is a slow burn. Remember, your body probably feels like it is where it needs to be, your brain might think you need to lose 10 more, but your body is quite proud of itself now, it feels like it has "Done enough" and it wants to stay RIGHT HERE. The body LIKES to have a little fat around just in case, especially for the ladies (sorry girls, it's just human physiology). If you feel like you still need to lose it, prepare yourself for some guerrila warfare against your body. Design an exercise regimen that is very dynamic, forget the "same thing every day". Make a plan that challenges you both physically and mentally. Make sure you give yourself a day off here and there to just veg. And by all means, remember, muscle burns fat at rest. So get some weight or resistance training involved.
    The last 10 may take 3 to 6 months to lose. I know nobody wants to hear that, but it's true. And forget the idea of increasing your calorie deficit, healthy bodies need good nutrition, your body no longer has the fat reserves to handle the large deficits you could when you were 30 40 or 50 pounds overweight. Better to make it a 3 or 400 calorie deficit (NET, please count your exercise calories too!). It may take a bit longer, but your body will like you for it. Plus it feeds those new muscles and keeps them burning fat, keeps your skin healthy (elasticity is important when you want those places that were stretched out to "snap back") and keeps you from getting head aches and depressed.

Conclusion:

This is what I have learned, not just from my journey, but from others as well on here. It saddens me sometimes to see people hit one of these stages and not recognize it for what it is, a part of the process. If we all can have realistic expectations, then we are more prone to win the fight and stay healthy in the long run. Note that some people will hit these stages harder then others, some may take longer, but for the most part, this is the rule that the exceptions will come from."

YES.
    tumblr_inline_mlc4evaCD41qz4rgp.gif
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    Options
    If you set up your diet and exercise plan to get you to lose 1-2 pounds per week, yes, you will lose more quickly in the beginning because you started out with more weight to lose and your body is jump-started by the sudden change in lifestyle.

Eventually, with that set-up, your body gets used to the new calorie intake and expenditures, and it levels out to a 1-2 pounds per week weight loss. This is considered healthy because it puts the least amount of stress on your body- your liver and your kidneys and your heart.

As you lose weight, your fat cells are shrinking. The only way they ever disappear is with lipo- otherwise they are always there, waiting to be refilled if you go back to unhealthy eating habits. As your body rids itself of fat, it's converting the fat into energy and using it. This process of converting fat to energy produces harmful byproducts that your liver and kidneys filter out of your body. This is why it's so important for people to drink plenty of water -just water- when trying to lose weight. Losing more than 1-2 pounds per week puts more stress on your kidneys, can raise your blood pressure, and can hurt your heart- all the things you're trying to avoid by beating your diagnosis of pre-diabetes.

Your A1c trends are great and show that your hard work is paying off. Other blood work values that will be checked will tell your doctor if you're losing weight at a healthy rate: BUN, serum creatinine, creatinine clearance. These tests show how much stress your kidneys are under. All three values show how well your kidneys are filtering your blood by showing what doesn't get filtered out. Urea and creatinine will build up in your blood if your kidneys are under stress from having to filter out too much waste from your blood if you lose to quickly.

Getting a diagnosis of pre-diabetes is scary, and it's understandable that you'd want to kick it into high gear and get rid of the weight as quickly as possible. But shedding the weight too quickly causes more problems than saggy skin, and some of the problems are the same problems diabetes carries, that you're trying to avoid.
    Thank you. I understand that a lot better than negativity.

You're welcome! Everyone's here for support. Funny how some folks who've been there before forget so quickly what it's like to be at square one and get nasty about it.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight, your fat cells are shrinking. The only way they ever disappear is with lipo- otherwise they are always there, waiting to be refilled if you go back to unhealthy eating habits.

I have never heard of this... Do you have any medical research to site? I would be interested to read it if you do. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    derek_zpsd11f611d.jpg

Here's a client of mine who started a 360lbs. No shakes, no diet, just calorie deficit and exercise. Currently weighs (this week) 278lbs. It's been a little over a year, but he went from being a full diabetic, to now barely using any insulin. You know how much tougher it is to have an insulin dependent person lose weight?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • melissa3324
    melissa3324 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am at 304lbs now and while it would be awesome for me to lose even 10 lbs a month, I do not expect to. I look at it a different way. My goals are things I can directly control, like my calorie intake and my exercise every day. I know it is cliche, but I take it one day at a time. If I reach my calorie goal by eating healthy food it is a small victory everyday. In a month or so, i will look at my weight and see how much I really lost. Then if I haven't lost any weight or only a pound or two, I will try and see what I did wrong that month.

For example, I have this goal of being able to stay on the elliptical for 45 minutes at one time. I started at 2 minutes a month ago and now I am up to 10 minutes. I am hoping to be able to stay on it for 15-20 minutes by the end of next month.

In the past, I have tried to only look at my weight to see if I was being successful or not. In the end, I was disappointed. It is not a race to get to your goal weight, because once you do, you have to keep working at it.

That is why I do not call what I am doing "dieting". I am trying to change my eating habits permanently. It is a life style change.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    Options
    As you lose weight, your fat cells are shrinking. The only way they ever disappear is with lipo- otherwise they are always there, waiting to be refilled if you go back to unhealthy eating habits.

I have never heard of this... Do you have any medical research to site? I would be interested to read it if you do. :)

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/dailydose/12/02/fat.cells/index.html for one.

Also, http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/articles/exercise/burning_fat_through_exercise/print/

"No matter how much physical activity you do, adipocytes never shrink so much that they disappear entirely. Like a balloon that you let all the air out of, you’re always left with some remnant. The only way to totally remove adipocytes from your body is with a surgical procedure such as liposuction or excision."
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I managed to do it for one month. The next month I gained back every pound plus more. When I stuck to doing a moderate calorie deficit, working out at a reasonable level and not worrying how fast the scale moved it worked long term. Being patient will get you further than trying to rush it. I know from experience.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    If you set up your diet and exercise plan to get you to lose 1-2 pounds per week, yes, you will lose more quickly in the beginning because you started out with more weight to lose and your body is jump-started by the sudden change in lifestyle.

Eventually, with that set-up, your body gets used to the new calorie intake and expenditures, and it levels out to a 1-2 pounds per week weight loss. This is considered healthy because it puts the least amount of stress on your body- your liver and your kidneys and your heart.

As you lose weight, your fat cells are shrinking. The only way they ever disappear is with lipo- otherwise they are always there, waiting to be refilled if you go back to unhealthy eating habits. As your body rids itself of fat, it's converting the fat into energy and using it. This process of converting fat to energy produces harmful byproducts that your liver and kidneys filter out of your body. This is why it's so important for people to drink plenty of water -just water- when trying to lose weight. Losing more than 1-2 pounds per week puts more stress on your kidneys, can raise your blood pressure, and can hurt your heart- all the things you're trying to avoid by beating your diagnosis of pre-diabetes.

Your A1c trends are great and show that your hard work is paying off. Other blood work values that will be checked will tell your doctor if you're losing weight at a healthy rate: BUN, serum creatinine, creatinine clearance. These tests show how much stress your kidneys are under. All three values show how well your kidneys are filtering your blood by showing what doesn't get filtered out. Urea and creatinine will build up in your blood if your kidneys are under stress from having to filter out too much waste from your blood if you lose to quickly.

Getting a diagnosis of pre-diabetes is scary, and it's understandable that you'd want to kick it into high gear and get rid of the weight as quickly as possible. But shedding the weight too quickly causes more problems than saggy skin, and some of the problems are the same problems diabetes carries, that you're trying to avoid.
    Thank you. I understand that a lot better than negativity.

You're welcome! Everyone's here for support. Funny how some folks who've been there before forget so quickly what it's like to be at square one and get nasty about it.

lol
    NO ONE was being nasty...
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    Options

And from the textbook, "Understanding Nutrition," by Ellie Whitney and Sharon Rady Rolfes on page 272 of their 12th edition:
    "When 'energy out' exceeds 'energy in,' the size of fat cells dwindles, but not their number. People with extra fat cells tend to regain lost weight rapidly; with weight gain, their many fat cells readily fill .... Researchers are exploring ways to induce fat cell death -- which would decrease their number."
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not lateral. That means that it does not follow a straight line.

there will be months when you lose nothing, (yet your clothes will get looser) there will be months where you lose a lot and it's dropping off of you.

You should set your goal to lose 1-2 pounds a week and NO MORE. Otherwise you are losing more than fat, you will be losing muscle and that is never good.

you lost so much the first month because that is what happens. Starting a new eating regime where you restrict caloric intake from what your body is used to, will shock it into dropping off all the excess water weight.

If you cut down your sodium, that will also dump the water weight. You will not and should not see a loss like that again.

Do NOT undereat. That will damage your body.

Do NOT starve yourself, that will make you miserable and damage your body.

Eat well, enjoy your life, exercise at least 3 times a week.

Log everything, portion things honestly and record honestly. Get an HRM (do not estimate your burns and do not trust MFP's burn ratios)

be in this for the long run, not the short run and take your time.

Do not get discouraged.

You are not a special snowflake, we are all the same at the heart of the equation, that is Calories out has to be more than Calories in, it doesn't work any other way.

Find a fitness routine you love. I love running, dancing and lifting. So, I do all three.

Good luck.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    udontknowme.gif
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Best way is to start with the appendages...then move to the organs.

No way, start with the internal organs first. Losing appendages doesn't make you look better in clothes, and who needs two kidneys anyway??
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    "No matter how much physical activity you do, adipocytes never shrink so much that they disappear entirely. Like a balloon that you let all the air out of, you’re always left with some remnant. The only way to totally remove adipocytes from your body is with a surgical procedure such as liposuction or excision."
    To add to this, a normal person has between 25 and 35 billion fat cells, but that number can increase when one becomes very overweight or obese to up to 150 billion fat cells.

IDEA Fitness member
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    Options
    To add to this, a normal person has between 25 and 35 billion fat cells, but that number can increase when one becomes very overweight or obese to up to 150 billion fat cells.

IDEA Fitness member

Exactly. Adipocytes will increase in size to a certain point, at which point they secrete a hormone that triggers the formation of new adipocytes. This is how obesity occurs.

This is also why temporary diets don't work. Temporary diets yield temporary results, because as soon as you start eating poorly and moving less, those fat cells fill right back up. It has to be a lifestyle change, and it has to be permanent.
  • corliss777
    corliss777 Posts: 12
    Options
    I say do what's best for you. Listen to your doctor. And don't get discouraged if you fall off your diet plan or don't reach your goal. Persistance is important. Don't let "dieting" consume your life. Live life and love it while you're here no matte what weight or size you are. Remember the things that really matter in life.
This discussion has been closed.