Looking to lose 10-15 pounds a month

Options

Replies

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    My issue is this: where in my post did I say I was starving myself? As I read through some responses, people are saying "this is starvation". What everybody keeps saying is aim for 1-2 lbs/wk which is up to 8 lbs/mo. So why is there such a big issue if I lose maybe 3 pounds a week. If me and someone else on here follow the same diet and exercise plan they are losing at a rate of 1.5 lbs/week and I might lose 3 lb/week. I just lost 12 pound in a month's time to their 6, why is that an issue when our bodies are different?????????? I eat the right amount of calories most days and exercise daily. So why does my goal bother everybody so much?

It's not that you are starving yourself, but that you might be setting unrealistic expectations. Weight loss isn't linear and we can't guarantee what happened last month is going to happen this month or next month. Set some goals that you can control (like I will exercise x amount of days) and take the unrealistic timeline off of your weight loss goal.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose that much, that quickly would be by using unsustainable extreme weightloss methods, and you would gain it back as soon as you stopped.

Pick a reasonable goal and it will be sustainable and you will be able to keep it off permanently.

I agree that losing too quickly is not sustainable; neither is losing slowly. Sooner or later you would hit zero either way. :)

But these posts that predict your outcome based on your method of loss always bug me. To get heavy, you have a broken diet. To lose weight, you have to break it in a different way. If you lose slowly, it is closer to being a good diet and the adjustment to a proper diet when you reach your goal will be easier. What you do when you reach your goal weight will determine whether or not you stay at that weight.

I think I love you!!!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    you know what really surprises me?

as per your first and original post OP.....

your very own doctor wants you to lose a pound a week...

this is not doctor approved, this is starvation....and this is dangerous.

envy you? not bloody likely.....

see you on the flip side of your failure which is sure to come down the pipes.

good luck.

*edited to remove an extraneous letter

Losing a pound a week is not starvation. That's a deficient of 500 calories a day, which is 1500 calories a day WITHOUT exercise if your body uses 2000 calories to maintain. In fact the recommended weight loss is 1-2 pounds a week. Hardly dangerous. Wow.

no...jeez...her doctor said a 1 pound a week..

she wants to lose 10 to 15 a month that's a 2.5 - 3 pound a week loss...THAT is starvation...THAT is dangerous...

her doctor is rational.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    My issue is this: where in my post did I say I was starving myself? As I read through some responses, people are saying "this is starvation". What everybody keeps saying is aim for 1-2 lbs/wk which is up to 8 lbs/mo. So why is there such a big issue if I lose maybe 3 pounds a week. If me and someone else on here follow the same diet and exercise plan they are losing at a rate of 1.5 lbs/week and I might lose 3 lb/week. I just lost 12 pound in a month's time to their 6, why is that an issue when our bodies are different?????????? I eat the right amount of calories most days and exercise daily. So why does my goal bother everybody so much?

Because you come on the forum and asked. If you don't want opinions, don't post.

CAN you do it? Of course you can.
    But most responses are responding to SHOULD you do it. Because even if some responses come across as snarky or combative, at the heart it's b/c people really are trying to help.

Honestly, the best course of action in the forums is to post, read, read some more, assimilate all the info, look at who is posting (success or not) and form your OWN opinions. But being insulting and hard headed really isn't helping anyone, least of all you.
    I DID NOT ASK CAN IT BE DONE. I ASKED DID ANYONE LOSE THAT MUCH. I ALSO DIDN'T ASK SHOULD I DO IT.

I'm with you OP. F the haters.....Haters gonna hate.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I'm defensive because so many people on here act like they are experts. No one on here is an expert. And I'm far from getting discouraged no matter what my weight lose is for the week. It can be done and in a healthy way. Again, you all are entitled to your opinions and for everyone that thinks it is not possible. I will be happy to prove it to you. More motivation for me.

That's just wrong. Many people on here are experts, many of them. I'm not one of them, but there are many.

But honestly, if you felt no one here could offer expert advice, I'm at a loss as to why you asked.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options

Because you come on the forum and asked. If you don't want opinions, don't post.

But most responses are responding to SHOULD you do it. Because even if some responses come across as snarky or combative, at the heart it's b/c people really are trying to help.

Honestly, the best course of action in the forums is to post, read, read some more, assimilate all the info, look at who is posting (success or not) and form your OWN opinions. But being insulting and hard headed really isn't helping anyone, least of all you.
    I DID NOT ASK CAN IT BE DONE. I ASKED DID ANYONE LOSE THAT MUCH. I ALSO DIDN'T ASK SHOULD I DO IT.

OZao7oI.gif
  • envyme521
    envyme521 Posts: 35
    Options
    I'm defensive because so many people on here act like they are experts. No one on here is an expert. And I'm far from getting discouraged no matter what my weight lose is for the week. It can be done and in a healthy way. Again, you all are entitled to your opinions and for everyone that thinks it is not possible. I will be happy to prove it to you. More motivation for me.

Um, then why did you ask for advice from a bunch of people that you know are not experts.... ? Just ask the guy at the bus stop then. He knows as much as we do, no?

I DID NOT ASK FOR YOUR ADVICE. IF YOU DIDN'T DO, THEN THIS THREAD WAS NOT FOR YOU.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Another person posts a plan that most believe has a high likelyhood of failure and takes offence at all attempts to dissuade her from what most believe may have unhealthy consequences.

The only question here really is why we need so many pages to just give up on the OP and tell her "good luck with your journey."

Please...Darwin must have his due. Leave it to him.

27739717_9895.jpg
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    you know what really surprises me?

as per your first and original post OP.....

your very own doctor wants you to lose a pound a week...

this is not doctor approved, this is starvation....and this is dangerous.

envy you? not bloody likely.....

see you on the flip side of your failure which is sure to come down the pipes.

good luck.

*edited to remove an extraneous letter

Losing a pound a week is not starvation. That's a deficient of 500 calories a day, which is 1500 calories a day WITHOUT exercise if your body uses 2000 calories to maintain. In fact the recommended weight loss is 1-2 pounds a week. Hardly dangerous. Wow.

no...jeez...her doctor said a 1 pound a week..

she wants to lose 15 to 20 a month that's a 3-4 pound a week loss...THAT is starvation...THAT is dangerous...

her doctor is rational.

You can't help people who won't listen and don't want to learn.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

Um, then why did you ask for advice from a bunch of people that you know are not experts.... ? Just ask the guy at the bus stop then. He knows as much as we do, no?

I DID NOT ASK FOR YOUR ADVICE. IF YOU DIDN'T DO, THEN THIS THREAD WAS NOT FOR YOU.
    Your "I'M AWESOME" key is stuck.

also, wanna know what's funny? I actually DID lose that much weight.. about that fast... but I'll be damned if I'm giving out any more of my time to someone who isn't listening in the first place.
  • leebeebumble
    leebeebumble Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I use the 1% per week guideline, so 10 lb per month until you reach 250 lb, then 9 lb per month to 225 lb, then 8 lb per month to 200 lb, then 7 lb per month to 175 (180) lb may be possible for you. I say "may" because a larger deficit may result in compliance and nutrition issues, so it comes down to knowing yourself and adjusting if necessary.

I don't know your height, but if the goal weight the doctor has suggested is not close to what is potentially attainable for you (i.e. it isn't 10-20 lbs from a flat stomach) you might be able to get there without a slowdown other than an intentional one as you reduce your deficit as you lose weight.

It won't be linear, but 4 weeks should negate part of your natural weight fluctuations.
    Totally agreeing with this guy!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

h61c.gif
  • envyme521
    envyme521 Posts: 35
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I will be glad to keep you posted on my success with my "attainable" goal. Thank you all so much for the motivation to go out and do exactly what you said I couldn't do.
  • JaneDough_
    JaneDough_ Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    This is how this thread is going to end.....

1369229828388.gif
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options

Your "I'M AWESOME" key is stuck.

also, wanna know what's funny? I actually DID lose that much weight.. about that fast... but I'll be damned if I'm giving out any more of my time to someone who isn't listening in the first place.

That is about a thousand different kinds of awesome :)
  • JaneDough_
    JaneDough_ Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Also, I foresee Olivia stopping by pretty soon...

1368585820847.gif
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    nope
    2 pounds a week is only 8 pounds
    it took me 4 months to lose 23 pounds
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    nope
    2 pounds a week is only 8 pounds
    it took me 4 months to lose 23 pounds

Youre not allowed to say no here...
    Only allowed to answer if youve succeeded in an unrealistic goal, which may be attainable, but should not be expected.
    Answer is irrelevant.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options

Okay, rewind time. Your original post:

"I'm setting a goal for myself to lose 10-15 pounds every month. I know my weight loss will not be the same every month, but that's my goal and I'm sticking to it. Has anyone been able to do this? If so, how?"

That's not asking for advice?
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I had a doctor appointment today that was unrelated to dieting, but we discussed it a little because since the last time I was there in early Feb I have lost 36 lbs. The doctor did not caution me about the rate of loss; she was ecstatic about the results. Because of this ongoing discussion, I asked her about it. She said there are definitely people who have to go slow but for someone overweight but in functionally decent shape like me, the rate of loss was fine. She also said in her experience the people who lose it quickly are not any more likely to gain it back than those that lose it slowly. That's the good news. The bad news is that most people who were overweight for years aren't able to stay at their goal weight long term.
This discussion has been closed.