MFP Cycling Club

Options

Replies

• karmostx
    karmostx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sounds great , Skyrider! I just bought a "new to me " roadbike so I have been practicing on the trainer how to gear down and clip out. I ride about 10-15 miles a day.
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Sounds great , Skyrider! I just bought a "new to me " roadbike so I have been practicing on the trainer how to gear down and clip out. I ride about 10-15 miles a day.
    Good for you! Welcome! :drinker:
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Renny!

karmostx, congrats on the new to you bike!

Hot sweaty and busy here, we have the summer festival in the park this weekend, I have to go and pitch in and help set up for about four hot sweaty hours, dusty too! They really like it when I help, as I'm tall and strong, so I can lift the heavy stuff, most of the guys helping out are little old Japanese men, they work hard, but it takes two or three of them to lift what I can carry easily.

Not much mileage this weekend, going to be busy with the festival. Most people really have fun at the Summer Festival, but for us it just means more and more hectic work, we sell draught beer in the park and it is a lot of work. Like some people love the smell of fresh cut grass, to me that was just the smell of very long hard days of labour putting the hay in at the end of summer.

Cheers!
  • loulouBell72
    loulouBell72 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

This is a great motivator! I really enjoy cycling but don't seem to ride my bike much. I have a 3 year old daughter who sits in the seat on the back. I need to ride more so this is great. I don't think i will do many miles but will give it a go.

Louise
  • StuAblett
    Options
    Welcome LouLouBell72!
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Hello all!

This is a great motivator! I really enjoy cycling but don't seem to ride my bike much. I have a 3 year old daughter who sits in the seat on the back. I need to ride more so this is great. I don't think i will do many miles but will give it a go.

Louise

Welcome!!! :drinker:
  • gwynh
    gwynh Posts: 160
    Options
    Welcome Karmostx and Louloubell. Glad to have you join us.

Today was an excellent ride. 21 miles/34 km. <--- See trying my hand at conversions lol. :tongue: The sun was hidding in the clouds the entire ride. Must have been less than 85 F so I was nice and cool. Kinda chilly on the fast down hill parts. But, I am not complaining.

Stu, my mother in law is Japanese. She has been in the US for over 50 years now, but she travels back there every 5 or so years to visit her family. I wish to visit Japan someday.
  • BarbieCat1
    Options
    Hi all...

Just got word that my damaged bike has been repaired and I can pick it up this afternoon. The frame and gears were OK.. the brakes and front tire were damaged, but my bike shop guru tells me they were repairable. I trust his judgement.

So, after a week's layoff after my crash, I got out for a brisk walk this morning, in anticipation of a 15 mile bike ride tomorrow with my buddies. They've been so solicitous ... As has the homeowner's insurance carrier, probably in anticipation of a law suit. I'm really just looking for full compensation for my damages, plus a bit for pain and suffering wouldn't be amiss. I don't think there'll be any need to sue, even tho we have cause and about as iron clad a case as one could hope for, with witnesses and the confession of the employee to his negligence. but... in the meantime, we have to foot bills upfront, got new sunglasses, repairs, etc.

It felt good to exercise despite the heat and humidity and my leg didn't bother me much... the bruise and road rash has turned all kinds of interesting colors though. :laugh: It looks like I have punk tattoos.
  • StuAblett
    Options
    Good news all around for you then BarbieCat1 :bigsmile:

Enjoy your ride tomorrow!:happy:
  • tipusnr
    tipusnr Posts: 572
    Options
    Finished last ride for the week this morning. A charity ride, The Ride 4 Autism, was a bit hilly and 33.54 miles long. I rode it with my wife, Andrea, and she set a personal best average speed for rides over 30 miles at 13.3 mph.

Also my last vacation ride as we are hiking tomorrow and I go back to work Monday. Still I can complain about 192.98 miles in one week. That puts me over the 1300 mile mark for the season.

I have to take the bike in soon as there is a noise that may be coming from the bearing in the crankset. I hope it's fixed quickly. Later...I have a one year old awaiting on a birthday party.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Checking in with 25.5 miles done this week! I am way proud of myself, I gotta say, because I did 12 of that this morning! It was a beautiful ride, and I found an awesome road with little traffic and beautiful views, that runs along the Kootenai River. It was a glorious ride. I am now 1/4 of the way to my 100 mile goal! Happy cycling, all!
  • tipusnr
    Options
    :noway:

Also my last vacation ride as we are hiking tomorrow and I go back to work Monday. Still I can complain about 192.98 miles in one week. That puts me over the 1300 mile mark for the season.

Sorry guys (and gals) but I had an error in my tracking - the total mileage is correct but my mileage for the week should read 134.87 vice 192.98. Something about that bothered me during the birthday party and I had to recheck it! :noway:

Next week I'll be back to the club rides twice a week and whatever I can get in on the weekends. Between the weather and shop time. It will still be a stretch to make my yearly goal.

@Panda86 - Glad to see that you're progressing nicely toward your goal.
  • gwynh
    gwynh Posts: 160
    Options
    I made my goal of 100 miles with a grand total of 105.4 miles. Yea!!

Glad everyone is out there trying their best.
  • tipusnr
    Options
    I made my goal of 100 miles with a grand total of 105.4 miles. Yea!!

Glad everyone is out there trying their best.

Well done.

Check in with everyone tomorrow.
  • StuAblett
    Options
    I'm not getting any miles in this weekend at all, I'm really busy with the local town summer festival, 16 hour days (I'm just popping in for lunch ) and I have to help clean up on Monday, maybe I'll get up early and head out on a ride Monday morning, still hot and humid here and the sun is killing me, I'm starting to wonder if I'm part vampire :bigsmile:

Oh well, I'll take a couple of mornings and do some longer rides next week I guess.

Congrats to you all on getting some miles done, way to go! :drinker:
  • StuAblett
    Options
    An old pic of me on my other Cannondale bike, this is about 1989

1288499_7194.jpg

That is the jersey I still have!
  • tipusnr
    Options
    @Stu. Looking good! Those are some vintange autos in the picture as well! :smile:
  • StuAblett
    Options
    Thanks tipusnr, that was 21 years ago and 40kg/88 pounds ago too :blushing:

The red car was my Mazda GLC and it was a Great Little Car, the other one was my mom's Mazda 626, I think :tongue:
  • tipusnr
    Options
    Thanks tipusnr, that was 21 years ago and 40kg/88 pounds ago too.

It just dawned on me (and made me smile) so I thought I'd share. I find the metric system psychologically fascinating - you make your distances longer (5K is 3.1 miles), your speeds faster (80 kph is 49.7 mph) but your weights lighter (see above). Just sayin' :bigsmile:
  • StuAblett
    Options
    Thanks tipusnr, that was 21 years ago and 40kg/88 pounds ago too.

It just dawned on me (and made me smile) so I thought I'd share. I find the metric system psychologically fascinating - you make your distances longer (5K is 3.1 miles), your speeds faster (80 kph is 49.7 mph) but your weights lighter (see above). Just sayin' :bigsmile:

That is why it is cool to know both and pick and choose :bigsmile: