How much do you drink?

Options

Replies

• bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I used to drink it all.

These days i'm much more of a binge drinker. I'll buy a bottle of wine once a month or so, then end up having a glass and tipping the rest out because it turns to vinegar. At Xmas I had 3 bottles of wine in one night- it wasn't planned and just happened that way. And last Saturday I had an awful lot of bourbon and cokes (not even diet cokes- aghast!). I had a great time. The days afterwards weren't so flash though.
    So, I overindulge massively maybe 3-4 times a year. And the rest of the time I may have a glass of wine a week.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I might have a couple of glasses of wine or a couple of pints of cider at the weekend and a big drinking night (usually on spiced rum and ginger beer at the moment) maybe once a month or so for someone's birthday, weddings, etc.

My partner is allergic to alcohol so having a casual bottle of wine over dinner or in the evenings doesn't happen. I definitely started drinking less when I started dating him.
  • louloulou
    louloulou Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Usually I drink a bottle of wine a week, so a glass a night.

If I go out with friends I might have 2-3.

A huge night for me these days would be 5-6 and with that I will have a hang over, so I rarely go there.
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I only drink water, black coffee, and wine-- an occasional cocktail or beer if I am out. I used to work for a winery in Napa, California and enjoying wine with a meal is just a way of life. Then, I lived in Paris for a while and the French certainly know how to incorporate moderate wine consumption into their daily diets. If I have the calories to spare, I will allow myself wine (1-2 glasses) with dinner. In fact, studies have been done that claim red wine can help block fat absorption.

http://www.shape.com/blogs/shape-your-life/how-red-wine-might-help-block-fat-cells-forming

I am NOT suggesting that alcohol consumption is healthy or something that everyone should do. However, I do feel that, in moderation, a good wine can be a wonderful complement to a healthful dinner. [Disclaimer: Still working in the wine business, I am partial to this way of thinking!]
  • kaylahelle
    kaylahelle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Probably more than i should lol
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    1-4 drinks per week, usually wine. More if I'm on vacation.

Light-moderate drinking is actually cardioprotective and neuroprotective compared with no drinking (though heavy drinking is the worst option).
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Usual pub outing 2 pints so 4 units I think, some weeks I go out 2 or 3 times some weeks none
  • cheesyrunner
    cheesyrunner Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of wine about once a month, for work functions... I don't see the attraction, really. My friends and I don't drink.
  • squindles
    squindles Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm an alcoholic. I haven't had a drink since December 28, 1998.

Holy... So, you USED to be an alcoholic? At what age?
    No hun, we ARE still alcoholics, we're just in recovery. Myself personally, I have to stay away from alcohol totally because if I don't I'd be back to square 1 :frown:
  • BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    All of it, until it's empty. I don't like to waste.
  • uwharriegold
    Options
    Back before I started this quest to improve my health, I drank daily ... usually a couple of glasses of wine OR a couple of beers OR a couple of mixed drinks. Just my routine. However, I cannot drink and lose weight. Most weeks, I have 2 to 4 drinks and manage to still average a 1-pound loss per week. BTW, I don't drink to "have fun." I drink to relax, socialize and because I like it. What's life without a vice or two ... or ....:wink:
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    ME: Enough to get me a little buzzed.

MY DATE: Enough to convince her she should probably sleep with me.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    what is a unit?
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    It has gotten progressivley worse. Most military people already drink a lot, stack on that that I am very social and live in a drinking town with a fishing problem.....On my days off I drink everynight. Sometimes just a beer, sometimes 5 drinks in a day. I never get drunk because I space it out but I am also on graveyards so on my days off the only thing open is the bar. so from 1600 when I am up and around to 0230....drinking....
  • Hodgie12345
    Hodgie12345 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    ZERO. It is poison. Hodgie x
  • 2ahealthyme
    2ahealthyme Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm an oddball, because I only drink at work. Depending on my lunch / dinner / cocktail party schedule, I'd say I average 3-4 vodka tonics and 5-6 glasses of wine. Sometimes less, sometimes WAY more.
  • DankaCibulka
    DankaCibulka Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I drink alcohol maybe 2 times a year. I don't like it. My fav drink is a water:)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I know, unbelievable isn't it? Vodka was my weakness and boy, could I put it away!!! Thankfully and miraculously my liver survived and I didn't do any damage. Am sure I would have been dead though now if I'd carried on! :frown:

Same here 2 liters a day at the worst. 33 years with out it and far happier!
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    For the yanks: Units of alcohol are a measure of the volume of pure alcohol in an alcoholic beverage. They are used in some countries as a guideline for alcohol consumption.
    One unit of alcohol is defined as 10 millilitres in the United Kingdom,[1] and as 10 grams (12.7 ml) in Australia. In both countries, a so-called standard drink contains one unit of alcohol (according to the country’s own definition). The definition of a "standard drink" varies significantly in other countries.

so wait, someone who drinks 50 units per week essentially drinks 50 beers or glasses of wine or shots? How are they still alive?

Edit: Ah, I read the wiki article and now it makes more sense. So a large glass of wine has about 3 units. Slightly less terrifying.

I drink somewhere between 0-5 glasses of wine per week. Maybe once a year I'll have a big night out and drink a lot more than that. But even my big nights out rarely exceed 5 drinks for the whole night.