WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2013

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,332 Member
    Options
    Hi there Vit F friends!
    We walked up to the stately home today, through beautiful bluebell woods. The sun was shining through the trees and the smell of the flowers was wonderful. The gardens are full of azealeas and rhododendrons in their full blaze of orange and pink. We arrived at the same time as two coach loads of German tourists, but the guides let us slip in to the house as we said we had been many times before and just wanted to whip round. It was worth a revisit.
    Came back along an avenue of trees and by the time I got to the hill I was quite tired - my hips were feeling it - but I still managed the hill without a stop. My chicken sandwich for lunch tasted sooooo good. DH had a lemon cake at the house, but I just had a small bite of it.:bigsmile:
    Lazy afternoon in store as we have a social day tomorrow visiting local friends. I will heft my weights at some point I am sure. My push ups are coming on, but I only do them from the knees.
    Pork in cider stew for tonight with leeks. DH is cooking some apricots to have with low fat yoghourt. The scales here show me as heavier than the ones at home, but provided I stay the same while I am here I don't mind. I know I always lean backwards on the ones at home!!!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Love to all.
    Heather in fragrant Cornwall :heart:
  • moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies!! Well, I made it back from my trip. The worst part was the driving.....Memphis at 5pm rush hour, Birmingham AL at any hour, and going straight through Atlanta. Boy it's good to be back home!!
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Quick pop-by - and thanks to everyone sending messages asking after me - I'm fine, just super busy.

I've been working 12 - 16 hour days for the past couple of weeks, trying to keep up with short staff and no managers and a plan that's struggling. I've also had to go into Philly a few times for computer upgrades (don't get me started on how badly that's gone and how far it's set me back) and meetings with upper management. That entails a commute of up to 3 hours total for the day. When I'm not working I'm . . . working. Yard, cooking, shopping, cleaning, . . . just busy.

I'm still managing to work out - not every day but at least four times a week. I'm getting a lot of work done too, so that counts, I suppose. The scale hasn't moved either way, which is a good thing, but my eating hasn't been out of control either. When I'm working so much I'm actually not eating/snacking nearly as much. I'm working VERY HARD to make sure I have good healthy snacks - almonds, cottage cheese, veggies and beans.

DD and GD and my mother all get here on Friday - along with the bride-to-be, so I think I might be picking them all up. I know I'm taking Friday off from work to get the house together in the morning, then head for the airport. I'm going to try to get my mom a dress for the wedding while we wait for the other girls to get here. The shower's on Saturday afternoon - it's supposed to be super hot that day (90+ degrees), so it will be wilting :frown:. My sister said there aren't very many people who can make it, so maybe 20 people in all. I think that's a good amount. Then DD leaves on Sunday, we have a baseball game, and then dinner out for my sister's 25th anniversary. Whew!

The next week it starts all over again - Prom on Friday, DH's parents get here on Saturday, party on Sunday, my mom and DH's extended family leave on Monday, graduation on Tuesday, DH's parents leave on Wednesday as do the kiddos with their mom, who is getting married that week. DH and I leave on Friday for Boston for the weekend and the last break until mid-July. Crazy!

Anyway, I wanted to say hi and I haven't forgotten you. I'll try to be better about posting in June but can't make any promises. July's looking better :laugh:.

Cheers,

M.
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    I read that if you exercise before breakfast that it revs up your metabolism all day! So I just did 15 minutes in the elliptical (got a hip cramp) and will do another 15 later today. then I had a protein shake with frozen mixed fruit in it and Greek yogurt. We will see if this jump starts my weight loss again.. I lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks and then nothing since Wed. so I will try to mix it up.

Back to work tomorrow after my lumpectomy and being off for 2.5 weeks. we will see if my resolve to exercise every day holds up.

Susan in cold rainy Ontario
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Good morning all, army vet here. Went out this morning and did some weed whacking. DH mows but never weed whacks, just like the kitchen he'll do the dishes but won't wipe the stove or counters.Ugh! Love Hume but! I could only do about 20 mins, need to start strength training.

Moxie-are you in GA, both Gail and I are.

Well I'm out to the studio, I have a necklace to finish.

Tigress in GA
  • NewLuna
    NewLuna Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just got back from a trip to see my Dad in MD. (we live on the Gulf Coast). I had fretted over food choices while traveling but must admit it was not as hard as I thought.
    In fact, it was nice to break out of my normal circle of friends and family routine at home to get ideas in exercising and diet choices.
    I am impressed with the food diary. I'm still learning the site but

So, I am back home and attempting to change up some habits. One is exercise. Picked up a Tai Chi DVD to get myself moving. I would prefer to do Yoga in a class setting (no where to take a class presently and wasn't sure of a good DVD). Anyone have a suggestion on a good beginner Yoga DVD?

Blessings always to our Vets and their families but more so this Memorial weekend.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,790 Member
    Options
    Gail-must be the age.. we are all friends and old enough that we know all that petty crap just isn't worth the time...
    Heather- your trip sounds lovely and am sooo glad you are enjoying it..:happy:
    M- all your work is exsausting me just listening.. hope you get time to stop and smell the rose's
    I have finished mowing the lawn and it freakin cold and windy here, feels more like fall than anywhere near spring
    got to the gym, then came home and whipped up blueberry french toast.. it is a highly caloric breakfast/brunch casserole that I will cook tomorrow a.m.,needless to say, I wont be indulging, but will give it to the DH, and my dad...
    depending on the weather we might take a ride down to the shore tomorrow, for fish and chips:noway: , i am going to look up the menu and see if there is anything that I might be able to enjoy without going over the limit.
    Everyone is so busy....hope you find some time to have a little fun in between, because we only live once my friends:heart:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sue in TX: I do better with cold than 100’s, too. Luckily, I live in an area that rarely reaches 100. When it does, I stay inside my air-conditioned house. :wink: My military son is recently married. Any advice I can pass on to his wife?:flowerforyou:

Connie in CO: Any idea what started the fire? I worry about CO fires since my daughter lives there. Last summer was horrid. The Colorado Springs fire came within less than a half mile of my son’s townhouse. Since he isn’t stationed there any more, he’d like to part with it. He’s lucky to have a stable renter.:flowerforyou:

Michele: I think anyone who volunteers for an hour of shoveling river rocks deserves a bit of pool time. :laugh: I hope she turns out to be a nice woman. It sounds like you and Vince have worked out a good system for moving rock.:flowerforyou:

Robin: Your weekend sounds great, although it is clear your weather is better than ours. Yesterday was actually pretty nice and today is trying to make up its mind.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: You sound like a champion. I’m impressed with how much exercise you got in walking the dog and yourself. WTG!:bigsmile:

Gail in ATL: I agree with you about the wonderfully positive nature of this group. It is a blessing.:heart::heart:

Heather: I’m curious about pork in cider stew. Is it quite sweet? Are the leeks part of the stew or a side dish?:huh:

M: Words fail me. Your life is so busy; I don’t know how you’re keeping it up. Take care.:flowerforyou:

Yesterday we had a nicer day after cold rain. I was able to walk the dog and visit with neighbors. My neighbor ladies tell me it is time to buy smaller jeans, so I’ll go to the store one of these days and try some on. On the other hand, they told me to buy skin-tight pants and a push up bra.:blushing: :noway: I’m not sure their advice is in my best interest. New bras in a smaller size may be in order, but my boobies do NOT hang down to my belly button! :angry: :grumble: It was all in fun and I'm neither insulted nor mad at them. We decided to go to a new pizza place nearby and found two couples that live close by already there, so we joined them. I had too much pizza and am up over a pound today, but I think that is likely water. :drinker: :drinker: DH has lower blood pressure this morning, which is totally counter intuitive considering all the salt in pizza. I’m sure we’ll go back there from time to time. They advertise gluten free pizza, but I gather they’re buying pre-made crusts and they haven’t arrived yet.

Have a great weekend!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Katla in currently overcast NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,332 Member
    Options
    Katla. - the cider is a dryish one so it doesn't come out sweet. I sometimes put leeks in but this time they were going to be a side dish. However I have changed my mind and we are having broccoli instead. DH will have potatoes as well. There will be half the stew left over so we can have it tomorrow night when we get back from our friends. Casseroles always taste better the second day, don't they!
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi to all. Cool and cloudy here. All four of the baby robins are gone now. We see them hopping around after the parents in the backyard.

Dad is somewhat better although very confused and hallucinating. He was sitting up in a chair yesterday. I think he'll go back to the home Tuesday.

That's all from me. I read the posts, but no energy to respond. I think the dog's surgery, the flood, the week long visit by relatives, and dad's injury have done me in! take care, meg
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,790 Member
    Options
    Rest up dear Meg, rest up.. you deserve it...
    I look like a total goober, here I am with a hoodie on and jacket and my fingers are numb.. and this is late may? what the heck is going on?:grumble:
  • Yardtigress
    Options
    My advice to military wives, Your husband has no control over orders from the higher ups, don't take it out on him. And a GI party is cleaning not really a party at all. The military is like that, phrases like Fun Run, sure it wasn't fun, running never is. But you will meet lots of nice people and make friends that last forever.
  • moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Moxie/Lea in SC...I just drove through Atlanta on my way home friday afternoon. Was trying my darndest to miss the pre-holiday traffic, and got home by 6pm. 1,000 mile drive from West Midands SC to Kansas City MO.

Lea in SC
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sun.Cool weather here with rain off and on.
    HUGS
  • colograndma
    colograndma Posts: 67
    Options
    Stopping for a quick bit. DH taking a nap. This sun is draining us. In the 90's again. Great News.... Cell phone is working!

We got up and planted the green beans in the front. And watered them. Got some wash started and went over to my sisters near by to drop of a Russian sage plant and wine making equipment. DH used to dabble in making his own wine, and PTL gave that up :bigsmile: Sis's Dh and friend want to try. Went from there to the nursery to pick up a Sweet 100's Tomato plant, and bedding plants for the front planters. Home for a bite to eat and am here while hubby naps. We were so tired yesterday we went to be early.

Michele: River Rock?:noway: That is a good work out!

Rori and Joyce: Rice saved my cell phone! :bigsmile: I really did not want to fork out more money right now.. Thank you both for your ideas.

YannieJannie: When we were over at sis's house you can see the back of the town homes from her front driveway. Looks like all but 1 of the 4 units were totally gone, and I doubt that fourth one can stay if they have to knock the others down.

CityJane: It sounds so beautiful in Corwall. I do hope you are taking a boatload of pictures!

M- Sounds like you are on the run big time! I often work 10-12 hours too and extra because we have a revolving door on help. Hope it evens out soon for you.

Tigress and YannieJannie: Thank you for serving our country....Bless you for that. DH is a Navy Vet.

Katla- the fire was started by a cigarette. I have a sister in Colo Springs that is in that subdivision as well. Homes in front and behind her are gone, but they still stand!! It was a terrible year last year in Colorado for fires and we are still in a drought somewhat.

Special Love and Appreciation to all the Vets out there. We are so bless to live in a free country, and we so appreciate your service to make it that way.

Everyone have a Blessed Memorial Day!

:heart: Hugs, Connie
    Keeping the water coming in Hot CO :drinker:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Yanni I never could get anyone to understand why I would ever stick with a Tracfone. I just told them that I paid about $100/year to maintain it and I had a phone I could call anyone at anytime. I still have a land line which is my main phone. But I have found that the new cell phone is fun. There are several games I play all the time, plus my Pandora anytime I want it. It took me so long to text anyone on my TracFone now I have my talk to text and it's quick. The games are fun, I know I always have coverage since with the tracfone I didn't. So to me it's worth it.

Well I don't know whether to trust my scales or not but I got up today weighing 201!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile: Happy dance. We'll have to see tomorrow. But I havn't seen that number for a long, long time

Joyce
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Just marking my spot and catching up on posts so I don't get too far behind. I got a haircut yesterday that ended up being shorter than what I wanted but sort of like it. If I ever figure out how to put pics here, I'll show you and see what you think. :smile: DH and I had a date night yesterday and went to see the new "Fast and Furious" movie and dinner at Applebee's. I had the under 550 Garlic Sirloin so didn't do too bad although I did go over for the day. Back on track today and may even get to the pool tomorrow. Foot's better today.

Remembering all the sacrifices that our military make to keep us safe! :heart: My DH was in the Guard for a bit (long before we met).

Meg - Hope things settle down for you and you get a chance to catch your breathe! :flowerforyou:

Kathy:drinker:
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Uh-oh..........think I might have accidently mis-led a bit on that last post(?); I was never in the military; dh was. Army first, then some college, then Navy. I met and married him during his Navy days. As for advice; well, honestly, I will say he NEVER brought the job politics home and that still makes me happy; esp. when I would hear what some of the other women were told. I wanted a June wedding; ended up getting married in Dec. because he was in a teaching position at the time and that time on the teaching sched. coupled with his rotation afforded him the ability to take the necessary leave. You learn to stay back from women who go out too much when their dh's are gone. You learn make friends fast and then have them leave, or you leave them. Husbands leave and you cope and learn to like coping. You learn the importance of "Power of Attorney" and wills much earlier than non-military spouses. You learn to volunteer (a lot). If you want to have a baby, you plan it for when he has "shore duty".....certainly not a guarantee he'll be there but the best you can do. Be ready not to have him at home at all on "duty" nights---one of three to one of five, which means he's gone 24hrs. even when on shore duty. It ain't easy, but it's not all awful either. When retirement time came up, I was the one who urged him to stay in one more tour. I guess my best advice is: be flexible.

Meg: rest up, we'll be here

Moxie: welcome back

yanniejannie.......enjoying a VERY lazy day
  • Yardtigress
    Options
    I just finished dinner and now enjoying a cup of decaf tea. I had a good choices day and weed whacked three different times. (My arms kept giving out, got to really start some strength training :ohwell: ). DH should be home tomorrow I will be glad when he's home I don't really sleep well when he's gone. Tomorrow is also weigh in day, please keep those fingers crossed. I've been doing the first couple of weeks with just my usual walking around, but tomorrow I'm adding back walking through the neighborhood. :bigsmile:

Ok on to something else. I need some color combo ideas for necklaces. If you have ever though I wish I had a necklace with these colors. I'm staring at beads all day and some times you can't see the forest for the trees. I made a necklace once that DH said was the ugliest thing he'd ever see. I thought it was nice and guess what it was the first thing that sold at the next art show we went to.

I will be planting more lettuce and other things tomorrow so it will be a long day, and thanks to you ladies I will be wearing sun screen and a hat.

Have a great evening everyone.

Tigress in GA
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Too late for an edit......meant to say gone for 48hrs., not 24 on my earlier post.
    yanniejannie