I have been OFFENDED and everyone needs to KNOW IT!

Options

Replies

• cassylee
    cassylee Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I love how Americans pronounce a word differently than us, Aussies or in other countries. My favourite is - veh-i-cle. Americans pronounce the "i" like it is so important that it has to be sounded out so clearly. Every time I watch Judge Judy, I just have to laugh when that word is said. We Aussies just the word with out stressing the "i".

And we pronounce Tomatos like To-mart-os

I love all these posts.

Have a great day. From Oz
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    When someone says "Pacific" instead of "specific".

I scream inside when I hear that. Like I'm sorry, I didn't realize we were talking about the ocean...

My coworker does that! And says "flustrated", as if flustered and frustrated had a baby....

It used to be funny, now it just irritates me.

I would advocate the inclusion of the word flustrated into the lexicon. Also, I very rarely like short hair on women but you look really good with short hair; it totally works on you.
  • Codename_Duchess
    Codename_Duchess Posts: 2,042 Member
    Options
    Another one that is like nails on a chalkboard to me... The word is "realtor" not "relator."

A friend does this. LOL I bite my tongue on this one, but I corrected her when she kept saying "built" in lieu of "billed."
  • NirvaniTeasley
    NirvaniTeasley Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy I am not the only Grammar Nazi:)
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    I second "warsh." I want to punch people when they say "warsh" instead of "wash."
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    How about people trying to "excape" do they want to rid themselves of capes?

Would the practice of trying to rid oneself of capes then be called "excapism"?

Knee slapper! :laugh:
  • emtjmac
    Options
    I'm so happy I am not the only Grammar Nazi:)

Welcome, you're amongst friends.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    English-Is-Our-Language.jpg

I wish it said 'excretions'
  • gettingfit65
    gettingfit65 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    forsurely is not a word......and also "how are you's?"
  • 2ahealthyme
    2ahealthyme Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You should all stay away from Southern Indiana then. We Warsh our clothes, and change the oral in our cars. :)
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    This is the English language, which is a conglomerate of hundreds of dialects and a great number of words from many other languages, so pronounciation could be anything...and they're mostly all correct. For instance, the word balcony was pronounced bal-Cony (emphasis on the second syllable) up until the late 1800's. The word Ask, was originally pronounced Axed throughout the middle ages (so is technically correct).

So, you say to-may-to, I say to-mah-to, so what...We've got bigger issues to deal with these days !

The correct pronunciation is toe-may-toe, all others are incorrect. This ruling is final and binding on all peoples in all nations.

Negatory! I farkin love my TO MAH TOES MATE

While it is true that there are different pronunciations across national dialects and that those pronunciations are correct in their respective places, the only correct pronunciation of the word tomato in American English is toe-may-toe.

STRAYA!!!!
  • emtjmac
    Options
    English-Is-Our-Language.jpg

I wish it said 'excretions'

That would be exquisite.
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I've decided to slightly modify and subsequently liberate this important message from the confines of my news feed and present it to the larger MFP community for consideration.

HEAR YE, HEAR YE.

It REALLY pisses me off when words that should be pronounced a certain way because of how they are spelled are pronounced otherwise, usually because they are a proper name. This message was brought to you courtesy of the Weber grilling sauce commercial I just watched. From my couch. At work. Having said that, it's pronounced WEE-BUR not WEB-BER. If you want people to say WEB-BER then spell it with TWO Bs. Sorry that WEE-BUR doesn't sound as cool to the American ear and as such is not as marketable but that does not give you the right to OFFEND MY FINELY-TUNED SENSIBILITIES.

---I am an American. I went to school with some families named Weber... they pronounced their name as Webber...not WeeBur.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I get more upset when people make up their own words I.E. conversate instead of converse.

I like you
  • Brazilll
    Brazilll Posts: 503
    Options
    How about people trying to "excape" do they want to rid themselves of capes?

Would the practice of trying to rid oneself of capes then be called "excapism"?

That sounds about right to me.

Another great one is "nucular bombs", bombs made of nuclei...?
  • meggyshae
    meggyshae Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • katmix
    katmix Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yes! Living in Oregon (folks, that is Or-ee-gun) it hurts my ears to hear non-pacific-northwesterners pronounce it Or-i-gone... And don't even get me started about our lovely Willamette river that meanders through Portland and down the valley... :laugh:

Anyhoo, I have no problem with folks that make up their own words...I think that is fantabulous and fun!
  • laurabeth326
    laurabeth326 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    People not from MA that do this:

For Worcester: "Wor-chester" or "Worse-ester" when it's pronounced "Woo-ster".
    Leominster: "Leo-minse-ster" it's "Lemon-ster"

All the "sters" are just not right. I suppose if I weren't from MA I would probably butcher them too.

Yeah, I'm originally from Massachusetts. Same with Peabody. we say pea-buddy. The first time my husband heard me talking about Peabody, he thought there was a city in MA that was called puberty. :laugh:

And a water fountain is a bubbla. And the liquor store is a Packy.

Being from Massachusetts I can confirm that both of these things are correct. Also, Massachusetts is the best state ever.

I just want to say I'm really happy to see so many fellow Massholes in this thread. And I hope you all know I mean that in the best way possible.
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    How about people that don't know how to pronounce their own last names? I was raised in an Italian speaking household, and it absolutely irks me when someone has an Italian last name, and doesn't know how to pronounce it correctly.
    Climbing down off my soapbox now.
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    I get more upset when people make up their own words I.E. conversate instead of converse.

Canadia!

I was really tired one day and I was trying to say that I needed somebody to transport something for me and I accidentally said "transportate." I realized it was the wrong word, but every time I said "transport," it just didn't sound right. I only had three hours of sleep the night before, that's my excuse