WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST

Options

Replies

• tcac
    tcac Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Chiclet,
    Please get in touch with Barb immediately. Your brother might get angry, but who cares. You have got to get your mother somewhere safe. We just went through this with my dad last month. I took him to heart doctor and they put him in hospital immediately. I know I have seen things about senior abuse but I am on east coast and everything is so different from state to state. Thank God for Barb. I know different ones on here have written about having to put parents in assisted living situations and it would be a hard decision, it just seems like you do not have a choice right now. I will be praying for you let us know what is going on.
    On a happy note today I am 159.8 I am glad to finally be in the 150's.
    Off to get ready to spend day with my beautiful bride to be.
    love to all
    linda
  • donna56
    donna56 Posts: 412
    Options
    Chiclet.... how sad this must be for you. I couldn't even imagine going through what you are and being so far away. I agree with everyone else... get intouch with Barb, she is a little book of knowledge so to speak. I can't imagine someone being so coldhearted as your brother is being with your mom, so sad. It is deffinately abuse on his part, sounds to me that he is just in it for the money and not for your mom at all. I would say even if your mom did not want to go to assisted living and got mad at you, it would be so worth saving her life.
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Chiclet.... how sad this must be for you. I couldn't even imagine going through what you are and being so far away. I agree with everyone else... get in touch with Barb, she is a little book of knowledge so to speak. I can't imagine someone being so cold hearted as your brother is being with your mom, so sad. It is definitely abuse on his part, sounds to me that he is just in it for the money and not for your mom at all. I would say even if your mom did not want to go to assisted living and got mad at you, it would be so worth saving her life.

Amen! If you haven't already contacted Barb, please do! What you have to remember is most seniors equate assisted living and nursing homes with being thrown away and/or a death sentence because when they were our age that's exactly what most of them were. Now days there are many great facilities and it sounds like you can't get your Mom into one fast enough.

My mother and brothers were very angry with me when I could no longer handle her care on my own. But once Moma gave the place a chance she thrived there. My brothers ever only came to see her once those last 16 months, while I saw her daily, but they all agreed she was being well taken care of once they saw things for themselves. Maybe the answer might be to get her in the hospital there, and then move her to a facility. Maybe you could even find one near you where you can visit more often than you can now being in different states.

So much depends on who has medical power of attorney. If its your brother and not you, the only way anything is going to get better is to make an elder abuse report to the proper agency.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Chicklet--I have to echo everyone else--get in touch with Barb IMMEDIATELY! This is extremely important for your mother's health. This situation definitely needs to be reported and soon!

"If you suspect abuse of a vulnerable adult in Washington State call the statewide abuse hotline number
    at 1-866-EndHarm (1-866-363-4276). It’s up to all of us to stop the abuse "
    http://www.adsa.dshs.wa.gov/APS/

Barb--let me know if I can help--I still know a lot of people in senior care from my years as a caregiver.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :heart: I just love Saturday's!

BC1- sorry to hear about your bike accident, but glad that you are okay. I'm sure that the colorful bruises will fade quickly and am glad to hear that you are getting right back on your bike. Yep wearing a helmet is very important:smile:

chiclet- I will try altering the clothes, because so many of them I really do love...that's why I kept them as "goal" clothes in the first place. I agree with Barb, your mom needs intervention right away, what your brother is doing is abuse and there are state agencys that can help her and you.

Living9 - good luck with the reintroducting of those foods, take it slow and maybe do 1/2 portions since that seems to be one of the big problems of today is how large the portions are that we are served. Those Victorian ladies also used to "lace" up themselves in those whale bone corsets:noway: , hence the need for fainting couches since they couldn't breath! They did seem to eat a lot I have a feeling those portions were much smaller too.

Viv - hoping that the scale is kind to you today:flowerforyou:

Linda- good for you and skinny jeans in size88888:flowerforyou: I just got a pair of skinny jeans on the clearance rack for 5.80 had to hem them a bit because they were about 2" too long even though they were Petite...I wore them last night to dinner and made me feel GREAT:wink: also helped me keep my portions in control:blushing:

Just spent a few minutes catching up with the posts. Today was a GREAT weight in lost 1.6 lbs...and I was just hoping for 1/2 a lb. I will never be disappointed about losing more, but I really did think that these last 7 were going to be harder...so that being said I'm sure the last 5 will be harder.

We went out on a bike ride around the resevoir and it's amazing how much easier it is to ride when you have a good bike, there are still a lot of the speeds that i need to explore but was able to ride longer and farther today than last week. After we took a quick water break I had put my helmet on backwards and it was 20 minutes before my Hubby realized what I had done...I'm just not up enough on this to realize what front and back is on the helmet.

I have a lot to do today so guess I'd better get to it. Everyone have a good day, drink plenty of water on these hot days :drinker:

Laura:smile:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Just a quick post to let everyone know, that Chiclet and I will be talking later today, as she sent me her phone number. Kathy, (Pmjs), thank you for the post about the Washington resources. That is certainly helpful, and once I have talked to Deborah, (Chiclet) I will have a better idea of what she might want to do next, so it is possible we may call on you.

As for me, my only regret is that Spokane is at the opposite end of the state from where I am. I would love to be close enough to visit personally and give a certain brother a kick in the behind.:mad:

Laura,
    Regarding your helmet...better your helmet on backwards than your head :noway: (though I bet it wouldn't take 20 minutes for you to notice THAT!!:laugh:

Someone asked yesterday if I made it down to Oregon to visit my friend. No, I didn't. We are going to try for next week.

Doggies are at the groomers and I am visiting my parents. Will go get them at the end of the day.

Had a real time of it getting Mai Li into the car this morning. Treats weren't sufficient incentive for her cooperation, so then I remember the muzzle I have on loan from the vet to put the meds on her leg ( which is healing nicely, BTW). She was NOT a happy girl when I installed the muzzle on her little Schnauz and boosted her into the front seat of the car. She got persnickety at the groomers and didn't want to get OUT of the car--guess we really were NOT in the mood for a bath and a haircut,:ohwell: but too bad!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I need to get off here and go do some errands.

BFN

Barb
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I’m floored by the number of posts over the last two days. As Barb said, we are a bunch of prolific posters (aka gabby broads). :laugh:

I had a wonderful time yesterday evening. My DD, her DH, five of my grandkids, and a couple of neighbors went to the Boeger Winery for a picnic on the lawn and music. My son came later, after he finished work.

The picnic and the band were terrific. My daughter made lettuce wraps and a delicious brown rice salad (recipes below - she doesn't usually serve them together but it worked well for a picnic). I brought slices of the crispest, sweetest watermelon I’ve eaten all summer, some baked tortilla chips, and hummus. The neighbors brought almonds, chicken wings (fie!), and other munchies. Made a wonderful picnic meal along with the Barbera red the winery’s known for.

The band played some hoppin’ Indies/Acoustic/Alternative/Rock/Blues (if you get what I mean!) The lead singer, Christian DeWild had a fine, raspy voice. The kids danced ‘til they were ready to drop. My DD got up on the dance floor a couple of times and, when my son arrived, he and my DD danced together. They both have so much rhythm and style (which they did not get from me!)

The band played for at least an hour after their scheduled ending time. They were having fun watching the little kids dance too! The temp was just right, the winery was beautiful and, all in all, it was a plain wonderful evening.

Kackie, glad to see you and to hear you’re doing well. Visiting makes it harder but not impossible to stay on track. It’s nice to get back to your own stomping grounds.

Linda, congrats on pounds lost! And to your DH too. :flowerforyou: You sound like a wonderful mom and you’ve made a warm and inviting home. Your daughters are a credit to you. I admire your fostering newborns too. That must be sweet and sad all at the same time.

Size 8!!!!! Yippee. That’s awesome. You are going strong. Re the girls with bare feet: I say “Go for it.” Young girls have lovely feet. My nephew and his wife both had bare feet at their wedding. (This is a nephew who got married a few years ago, not the one who just got married.) His wife wore a formal wedding dress and he wore a blousy black shirt and a vest. People wear all kinds of things to weddings now. IMHO, bare feet for the little girls would be darling.

Bec, “Glass completely full” is an amazing thing to be. Your mom must have been quite a gal. No wonder you loved her so much. :love:

Kathy, good for you on making, and exceeding, your 100 mile walking target. That’s wonderful. I like your ideas for adding veggies to other dishes. I like mine roasted but incorporating them in other dishes is a great alternative.

Barbie, the day I can be an inspiration to you is a very good day indeed! :heart: I’m so glad you like the roasted veggies. They’re a lifesaver for me. And they are healthy! It’s amazing. Good and healthy. So often, those words don’t go together.

Michelle, hurray for you, buying broccoli and cauliflower and eating more veggies. :flowerforyou: I love having friends join me in the healthy eating club! :happy: Your friend sounds like a bit of a control freak. Maybe you need to be ready with “sorry, can’t do that” when need be then do your own thing??? :noway:

Faye, I want to hear all about your big trip. Sounds like so much fun!

Barb, I’m glad Roscoe found a home. I’ll dye Michelle’s hair any color she likes as long as she does NOT even show me her cookies! I’m with you on the housework. :laugh:

I hope you do well with your HCG diet. You are wise to watch your potassium. In the old days, I did a medically supervised 800-calorie diet. Even at that level, you can harm your heart and other organs if various nutrients get out of whack.

My son did the HCG diet and lost a ton of weight. He looked great. A few months later, though, he’d gained most of it back, mostly because he hadn’t made the lifestyle changes. :ohwell: You have so much experience eating healthily. That makes the odds of it working long-term much better.

Amanda, beautiful pics of your daughter and her DH. Thanks for posting them. Simon sounds like a delight. I’m glad all of you had him in your lives. :heart: My sister had a son who was severely handicapped. He lived three years but was always like an infant. You’d think that would be a burden on all the family. It was, in some ways. But, in other ways, he enriched our lives so much. He gave us a chance to love unconditionally. Every smile or laugh we got from him warmed our hearts. :heart: :heart:

Laura, I hope you’re feeling better. Miniere’s is no fun. Congratulations on the weight loss and smaller sizes. :flowerforyou: It’s fun to shop for new clothes but I’ve learned not to buy too much – I keep shrinking out of them! :laugh:

Donna, good for you on the veggies. You are losing like a mad woman!! :flowerforyou:

Hanna, getting your eyes lifted was such a nice gift to yourself. :smooched:

Susan, I forgot about chocolate! I have to eat more chocolate!! :laugh: Strictly for the MUFA’s, you know. Seriously, I do love chocolate and often have a piece. I don’t nibble on it anymore though but portion out what I plan to eat. I savor every bite.

Robin, I love you too. :love: I am such an introvert yet I’ve made so many good friends here. My life is richer as a result. And getting to meet you later this month is like the icing on the cake – and no calories! :wink: It doesn’t get better than that. Your mom sounds like she was a dear. More hugs coming your way. :heart:

BC1, ohmigosh. I’m so glad the injuries are all superficial. I’m sure they hurt like the di*kens (had to format it that way so MFP wouldn’t censor me!) but they could have been so much worse. Good for you for getting right back into the saddle. You’re a trooper. :flowerforyou:

Renny, that invitation might just be a good reason for a trip to Victoria. It’s one of my favorite places. My sister used to live in Burnaby then in Maple Ridge so I got up your way fairly often. Unfortunately, I have only a few days in Bellingham for the trip I’m planning to take at the end of the month. Next time it would be fun to go a little farther north. BTW, if you’ll be going south toward the end of the month, let me know. Maybe we can rendezvous with Robin! :heart:

I know how you feel about your MFP friends – they (and you) are all dear to me too. Honestly, this is the most positive and encouraging bunch of women I’ve ever met. I like that we communicate mostly in writing because I can go back and edit myself when I start to get negative! :laugh:

Barbara, I think it’s more like 12 teaspoons (not tablespoons) of sugar in a Coke. And that’s just a 12 oz can. :noway: People often drink lots more than that. But who needs it? It drives me nuts that my son “limits” my grandsons to one soda a day. Aaargh. One of them is already verging on overweight.

(I use stevia rather than Splenda. I get the “all natural” kind. Supposedly, it’s better for you, although I don’t know what proof there is. (And some “all natural” things can kill you of course!) I order mine in a dropper bottle from Amazon. It’s hard to believe how long it lasts and it’s very convenient to use.)

My son was slim and good looking (a hunk, if I do say so myself!) in middle school and high school so he has no understanding of how hard it is for kids who are even a little bit overweight at those ages. I was probably 5 pounds overweight at age 12 and 20 pounds by the time I graduated from high school. Even that much “overweight” can leave long lasting scars. It’s not the teasing so much, although I know that is an issue for many people. Many other kids just don’t “see” you. (Amanda, this makes your daughter’s and her friends’ acceptance of Simon all the more wonderful.)

Chiclet, I used to have similar feelings when I lost weight. The attention from men was especially hard to take. Now my wrinkles keep me safe! I do like being “seen” by so many more people. I’ve always had my good friends who loved me no matter what but, now, passing strangers are more likely to smile and say “Hi.” It doesn’t hurt that I feel happier about myself now.

I just read your post about your mom. Talk about a tough situation. It’s clearly more than your brother can handle. I know Barb will give you good advice about who to call. Susan’s and Kathy’s advice is excellent too. My gut feeling is that people in your mom’s position may not be able to make good decisions for themselves. Then it becomes your and your brother’s job, as hard as that may be. It does sound like assisted living might be in order - and a blessing to you, your brother, and (most important), your mom.

Jackie, you are a wonderful, caring daughter. Your mom is lucky to have you. Even so, I’m glad you have some respite. Full-time care must be incredibly stressful. Everyone who is caring for a parent or sibling deserves enormous credit.

I could sit here all day and visit but I’d better not! Yesterday, I took a pass on exercise so I’ve got to get back on it today. If I didn’t say “Hello,” know that you are in my thoughts. :heart: :heart: :heart: To everyone who’s new or hasn’t been here for a while, this is a great place to be. This group of caring women can make a huge difference in your lives. Oh, and losing weight is nice too! :wink:

RECIPES

EASY LETTUCE WRAPS

Make a plateful of the wraps and serve them fanned out on a plate. They look beautiful and taste even better. Place an extra bowl of the filling, butter lettuce leaves, and a dish of cashews nearby so guests can make more. I guarantee you they will!

Ingredients
    1-1/2 cups shredded chicken (or 1 large (12. 5 ounce) can chicken, drained and shredded with a fork. I like Costco’s Kirkland brand.)
    1/4 to 1/2 cup mayonnaise (you can use less and/or light mayo for fewer calories)
    1/4 teaspoon curry powder
    2 green onions, sliced thin
    1 small tart apple, diced (with skin on)
    1/4 cup dried, sweetened cranberries
    1/8 teaspoon white pepper (or more to taste – ok to substitute black pepper)
    Cashew pieces

Preparation
    1. Mix it all up
    2. Wrap a large spoonful or two in a leaf of butter lettuce. (I like the live lettuce with the roots on that you keep in the fridge. I peel off the leaves as I need them. It stays fresh a long time.)

Tip: If you want to mix it up a bit, try making these wraps Asian style. Use the chicken but add stuff like shredded carrots and red cabbage, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, green onions, and fresh ginger. (You can add a little mayo to soften the flavors a bit but you don’t have to.) Serve them with a bowl of toasted almonds for folks to sprinkle on top.

OLIVIA'S YUMMY BROWN RICE SALAD

Make the rice ahead of time and cool thoroughly for the best results.

This is a yummy way to eat healthy brown rice. My daughter created the recipe for my 6-year old GD, Olivia, who can’t eat anything containing gluten (which is found in wheat, barley, and rye). You’d be amazed at the things that have gluten in them, including (this is the short, short, short list) lipstick, soy sauce, and some root beers.

Ingredients
    2 cups short grain brown rice (uncooked)
    1/2 cup mayonnaise (you can use less and/or make it light mayo for fewer calories)
    1/2 teaspoon curry powder
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    3 medium tomatoes, diced
    1 can artichoke hearts in water, quartered
    1 can large black olives, quartered
    1/4 cup Italian dressing (we use Newman's Own Light Italian)

Optional: Kalamata olives, sundried tomatoes, fresh basil, sliced or diced chicken, etc.

Preparation

1. Cook rice and then refrigerate until cool. If you skip this step, you'll end up with mushy rice.
    2. Once the rice is cool, add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.

If you serve the salad with chicken, you may want to dice it and put it right in the salad or slice it and lay it on top.
    You can eat it right away or wait a day or two. It gets better and better as the flavors meld.

Thanks for being such a warm-hearted and enthusiastic bunch. You keep me going! :love:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Confession time: I need someone to give me a swift kick in the behind! :grumble: This summer I've used hubby working nights, gardening and house guests ALL as excuses that keep me from doing any strength training and my belly sure looks it! :blushing: Apparently mowing and dog walking do nothing for giggly bellies as I've lost all muscle tone in that area. So its time to "get with it" and get those hand weights and my BL Boot Camp video back out.
  • tcac
    tcac Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Quick note, We had a wonderful day together. Went to breakfast at Bob Evans and had the most amazing veggie omlete I have ever had. Then we went shopping at the outlets for 5 hours of walking without a break. We got Melissa all new undies and bras for her honemoom. Then I got a lovely dress and shoes to wear out to dinner up in Maine.
    The drive there takes about 1 hour so it was nice to sit and talk and laugh.
    Came home to find 2 granddaughters decided to stay overnight since I was gone all day and PapPap was the babysitter. It is so much fun having these girls.
    Well, I ate a lot today but walked a lot also. All in all it was perfect, weather was perfect and we just enjoyed each other. Maybe the days I do nothing special but just "be" with my girls is in fact my favorite of all.
    Good night friends. One final thought Mimi, I would never gues you were anything but outgoing you have such a wonderful way of communicating it just seems so natural.
    night
    linda
  • chicletgirl
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thank you all for your kind thoghts and words regarding the situation with my mother. I messaged Barb with my number to talk to her since she lives in Washington also and looked up some of the things mentioned like the report abuse for elders. I went to the grocery store this morning to pick up some veggies I had run out of and when I came back I found a message on my machine. Turns out my SIL took my mother to the emergency room this morning. I had just spoken with my mother last night around midnight and she said that for some strange reason she had called down on the intercom 5 times to see if she was ready to be put to bed. Of course my mother was sleeping in her wheelchair and didn't hear the buzzing. When she woke up an hour had passed since the last buzz and everyone had gone to bed. I asked my mom why did my SIL suddenly want to put her in the bed after 2 weeks of leaving my mom in the wheelchair and she said she thought maybe it was because of the way my brother had treated her that day trying to get her into the car by yelling at her, She said she also had brought her some dinner that night. Normally she forgets to or since she doesn't feel like cooking most of the time, everybody else makes do, except of course my mother who cant climb the stairs to the kitchen. She just doesn't eat. (She literally had my niece, when they went grocery shopping, get her beef jerky and bagels and pretzels to eat when they don' t bring her food).

So it turns out she takes her to the emergency room becasue her feet are 3 times ths size they should be, and she is in so much pain that she can't walk to the restroom now. Then my SIL calls me and leaves a message telling me what she's done and to call her back. When I do she starts yelling that she has given the emergency room my phone number and her 15 year old daughter's phone number so they can talk to us, because her and my brother are going on vacation!:noway: I was stunned and didn't answer her right away and she then proceeded to tell me that my mom wouldn't let her put her in her bed and that is why her feet swelled and the reason she took her to the emergency room was because she needed to go to a doctor! I asked her why my brother didn't help my mom into the car. She yelled," He can't lift a 200lb woman!" I said "My mom says she was sitting on the seat but couldn't lift her legs in by herself and my brother wouldn't help her put them in. That he didn't like to touch her. And then he began yelling at her for not doing it." My SIL told me that my mother was a liar. She admitted that he yelled at her but she refused his help. I know that is not true because my mom wanted to go to that appointment. She hasn't been able to see that doctor in over a year. She needs a lot of things checked out, that are way over due besides her feet, so I just don't believe my SIL.

After a nurse called me I told her what was going on and she told me to speak to a social worker there which I did. It turns out that it is true that because my brother's house is 1 block out of county line senior resources that are usually available at a very reduced fee are not where they live. She has to pay $50 each way for wheelchair transportation. But the nurse, after looking at her lab results says that my mom is undernourished, (duh!) and the doctor says that the fact that her legs look the way they do shows neglect both from not walking her frequently, (which is like 2 to 3 times a day with someone walking behind her with a wheelchair in case she loses her balance) and not propping her feet up in bed, because she hasn't been in bed!! Top that with waiting so long to see a doctor for this condition shows abuse. The nurse spoke with my mom regarding the "abuse" and my mom blamed herself for not doing anything about it. (She didn't say anything because she is petrified of my brother!) They told her they are probably going to do a in house investigation where they show up unanounced to see how she is doing and what condition she is in.

When I called her after the nurse apparrently just left talking to her, she was upset at me and said she never should have told me anything! Now my brother and SIL were going to get in trouble. Then she'd be kicked out. I told her it might just make them get the ball going and do what they are supposed to do. They won't have her leave because she rents from them and they need her money.

So later on tonight I am supposed to have a 3-way call between my mother, her doctor, and myself to discuss the situation and what will be done.The doctor is very concerned, the nurse says. So we shall see. Sorry the post is so long. Amazing hwo much can happen in a few hours, huh?

Oh and I talked to Barb who I caught on the way to the groomers to pick up her babies. So she knows everything you do now. She even volunteered to go down and kick my brothers behind and get him into gear. Only problem is she is 300 miles away!
    Too bad, I really would have loved to see that!:laugh:

Will let you all know what happens from the 3-way call.

Thanks again everyone!

Chiclet
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Chiclet, so glad to hear your mother is in the hospital! We'll be praying.
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Chic, you've made great progress in a short time with Barb as the catalyst. Keep on doing what you think is right. You'll be glad you did.
    :heart:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!!

Just an update to say that Deborah (Chiclet) and I did talk tonight. I will let her share whatever details she wishes, but I can assure you her mom is in good hands now and there is no immediate danger.

EDIT: So when I STARTED my post, Linda/tcac was the last post, but by the time I actually posted, I can see Chiclet has already posted her update.:ohwell:

As for me, my little darlings weren't done at the groomers until after 8p tonight!! Saturday is always a long day, and it was made longer by an equipment failure, so my groomer had to use a less speedy tool for clipping Mr. Pepper, who has the thickest hair of the bunch.

Mai Li figured out that if she didn't get put IN the car, she couldn't go home and EAT. Therefore, I had NO trouble getting her in the car, or out when we arrived home.:drinker: :drinker: :laugh:

Bradley was a very noisy, hungry little boy who made sure that their was no peace and quiet during the drive home. Pepper, as usual, was a quiet little boy who sat in the back of the car and took in the antics of the other two without saying a peep.

I have a joke to tell about something that happened yesterday, when I dropped off Linda's computer to be repaired at the same place where I bought my mom and dad's a few months ago. While I was waiting for them to decide what they were going to do, a guy came in. He weighed about 150 lbs. more than he probably should have, but what made me look at him was a really interesting Hawaiian shirt he was wearing. It had the usual palm trees, but interspersed with them were images of sixties-type red "woody" style station wagons. Strange, but somehow appropriate--especially when I commented on it, and he said he had purchased the shirt on Catalina Island.

So I happened to say that I had wondered if it were a Tommy Bahama, and he replied he couldn't afford their shirts--which made me laugh, since my cousin is married to the guy who is one of the founders of the brand name. Anyway, I mentioned having seen an interesting Tommy Bahama item at Costco--a portable chair, that folds up, backpack style, and has an insulated pouch to carry food as well as a cup holder.

When the guy hears this, he shares his ultimate fantasy chair idea. A chair that you just toss on the ground and then touch a button on the remote control to make the chair right itself, unfold, and an ice cold beer is waiting in the cup holder.

Sounded good to me, so I decided to have a little fun. I told the guy "Haven't you heard, they HAVE that already?!!" At which point, two other guys in the store who had been following our conversation, leaned in closer......"Yeah," I said, "They have that already----it's called a WIFE!!!":noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

To which he replied, "Well, NOT mine!!" And we all laughed.

Later, when I shared the story with the lady that helped me at the post office, she said, that I should have replied "Well, YOU picked her!!!" :noway: It is probably just as well I didn't think of that at the time!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am supposed to go to our county fair tomorrow with some friends of mine. I hope they have a booth at the entrance where people who are dieting can have their jaws wired shut!!!:noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BTW, Barbiecat, knowing your propensity for wearing warm socks, I suggest you check out Costco soon.. They have a 3 pack of ladies socks made from a combination of merino wool and silk, and something for stretch. They looked like they would be very comfy and not too thick, selling for $14.99.

Anyway, have a good night everyone.

Barb
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies.

Hmm, I can see that I'm not going to have much time for posting for the next few weeks. Our Aussie friend arrived yesterday and we have so much catching up to do! We've arranged an impromptu barbecue this afternoon - weather permitting. Just a small one for about ten of us. I don't eat barbecue food, so it's quite a good idea. I'm going to make some big salads and veggie dishes, so there will be plenty of healthy stuff too.

We walked down to the village pub last night (I just drank mineral water). It was pouring with rain, so by the time we got there we were soaked and my hair dried like a big afro poodle do. I shall have to wash it and beat it into submission after I've had my gym time this morning. Speaking of which, I insisted on having an hour in my gym before we went out last night. I left the two guys to chat while I stomped away. No way am I going to let my newly formed habits slide, especially as Mark is here for the next four or five weeks.

Chiclet - I'm glad things are moving along with your mum. Let's hope she can get better care for the future. It must be such a worry for you, being so far away.

Linda - it sounds like you had the perfect day with your daughter!

Mimi - I'm envious of your evening at the winery. It sounds wonderful.

To everyone else, enjoy the rest of your weekend. I need to go and get some gym time before I start my preparations for the day.

Amanda x
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi everyone

:flowerforyou: Mimi - You'd be proud of me, I have just put some roasted veggies in the oven. I always do a Sunday dinner and we have boiled veg but thought I would try some roasted veggies too, see how they go down with DH. I really must roast veg more often - I believe you snack on them when you get the munchies. Do you heat them up again?

:flowerforyou: Barb well done you for getting on the case for chiclet so quickly. Glad that it is getting sorted.

Update on my uncle who came out of hospital on Tuesday last week, he's not feeling too well again. Yesterday he was in bed and had a bit of diarrhoea and sickness :sick: (The same happened last time he came out of hospital, a few days later he had D&V.) I think it's because he doesn't cover up unused food or put it in the fridge.:frown: He's feeling a bit better today and said he may get up in a few hours. Dad said he would go and see him around lunchtime and I'll go again later this afternoon. He's lucky that he has family living close by, goodness only knows what would happen to him otherwise. I'm sure he wouldn't let us know he was unwell.

:flowerforyou: Amanda good on you for keeping your exercise routine going even with your visitor. I haven't gotten that good yet, any excuse and I stop. :noway: :grumble: Only myself to blame. :grumble: For some reason I can talk the talk, but can't walk the walk!!

:flowerforyou: Laura the scales were kindish to me - I have put on half a pound, :embarassed: I'm only glad it wasn't more. I need to give myself a good talking to. Today as I said earlier I have done extra veg for dinner and will watch my portions. The last few days I have made curries and stews in the crock pot and because there is so much of it - I've put a little bit too much on my plate. I'll have to remeber I can always freeze leftovers.

:smile: The doggies are being exceptionally quiet today, Frankie is usually barking at everyone who has the nerve to pass by our window and if that person has a dog he gets very upset. Spoke too soon, Frankie is now barking.

Well I'd better go and shush him and also check on the dinner. Hope everyone has a happy Sunday

BFN

Viv :heart:

PS: Profile pic of my grandson. Was sick of seeing my photo, I'll have to look for a new one lol
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Good morning lovlies. Couldn't sleep so tried to get caught up. . . ;)

Trying new things. Got to the farmers' market late. There was a young couple so cute and sweet :heart: I wanted to buy something from them, but all they had was huckleberries. I am NOT a berry gal, :noway: never did care for them, seeds, yuck. :sick: Bought a pint of huckleberries and tried them with my evening frozen yoghurt. Not bad! :tongue: Used to think I wouldn't like fat free frozen yoghurt, so never tried it. Umpqua vanilla with macadamia nut and caramel swirl sure changed my mind! :love: Must must must weigh portions. Spooned over bananas, cherries, apples (or huckleberries)... as it melts, the fruit is coated in sweet creaminess. YUMM!
    ---

:heart: lowamama cute puppieez

:flowerforyou: barb you are our walking encyclopedia. Thank you for your willingness to jump in and help everyone in need. And for jumping in on the unsafe locked room. Hope they hang one of the new sets of keys as you suggest. Sounds like My Lai doesn't need my cooled strong green tea dabbed on the licky red moist infected area suggestion. Glad to hear she's healing so well. Love my transition lenses, but yes, Dixie disappears on the carpet. Good news about Roscoe and thanks for the info on hgc diet... not for me I think, yet... You are a great hearted gal.:heart::heart: :heart:

:drinker: MacMadame Congrats on the AquaBike and great goals! Calf can't heal without good sleep.:yawn:

:smooched: Mimi 2 HOURS exercise one day and an hr + half the next? WOWIE ZOWIE. Sounds like you figured out how to make it fun. What's your secret? Thanks or the roasted veggie how2... you must be psychic cuz I was gonna ask. Picked up brussels sprouts, asparagus, parsnips and corn today specifically to roast. Talk about timing! :drinker: Huzzah for no more blood pressure meds. Huzzah huzzah! :drinker: :drinker:

:flowerforyou: Amanda 81# WOW! Con VERY gratulations! loved the pics, you and DH don't look worn out to me, but sure do look sexy! :heart: espresso and Sean Connery? It doesn't get better than that. Does his voice sound as good in person as it does in film? :wink: Good luck with persuading DH about adding the border terrier. Love those energetic little darlings! Do you have other dogs? What's Man flu? :flowerforyou: Thanks for reminding us all the health benefits to what we're doing. You've really improved your life!

:flowerforyou: SuzyQ You are a treasure and sounds like Sophie is a charmer!:heart:

:smile: Alice, Welcome back we missed you.

:ohwell: BirdieM know you're right about getting the mind right, but haven't figured out yet how to change mine... any tips?

:laugh: Jackie zumba and dance dvds, that scale will SURELY move next time. Hoisting counts if its laundry, not if its :drinker: glasses of wine ... ;) Glad you were able to chase the blues :grumble: away.

:laugh: Elizabeth,"took me all those years to get good at:smokin: " made me laugh. DH always comforted me by saying we had to practice quitting to get good at it. After many tries (and a bout with pneumonia) we are both finally good at quitting instead of the other:blushing: ... it's been 11 years. You CAN do it!:bigsmile:

:laugh: Bec Loved your summer of hell :devil: story, reminds me of my (menopausal) decade of anger.... :explode:
    What kind of program are you looking for School survival plan? Also loved your positive twists. You and Mimi, what inspirations... Might ask you for suggestions for my negatives. :grumble:

:bigsmile: Robin great family reunion. Sorry about your cramps,:mad: but maybe better this week than when camping?:ohwell:
    :flowerforyou: pbkfit70 great goals!

:laugh: Michele Your boob crushing stories make me laugh to fits of hiccupping. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Obviously the instruments of torture were designed by a man. :explode: If they had to submit their tender parts to such offenses you can bet the design would be drastically improved! :bigsmile: Thanks for the pineapple angel food recipe Great solution. House cleaning attitudes YEAH! How the heck did you manage to avoid sweet tea for 3 yrs in NC ? Thanks for the lemon suggestion, I have green tea at work most days and who couldn't use 80% more antioxidants?:wink:

:drinker: Kathy 110 miles WOW! Between that and the smoke free, and being so close to your goal you must feel grand!

:bigsmile: Cathy you're right Planning is the key. Enjoy your visit.

:brokenheart: Donna how heartbreaking to loose everything of you mom's. Boring vs Drama? I'll take boring every time. My SIL's family keeps me well supplied with Drama if I ever feel the need.:tongue:

:laugh: Peggy Day 2 of "Find something else to do rather than exercise" sounds like me! I'm jealous of your loom, have always wanted to learn to weave. You definitely CAN log moving the loom as exercise there's an entry for moving household items ...

:flowerforyou: RHCP, Right On! Can't take care of the committees til you take care of yourself.

:drinker: Kackie 6 mile hike WOW!

:wink: Linda "never realized how much I needed relationships with like minded women." Well said and so true! 88888888 Wow all you size 88888888 gals are inspiring!

:bigsmile: lambocj Welcome! I like to Wii too (pardon the expression) but have been slacking since the weather got warm.

:heart: barbie "overeating as recreation and entertainment" boy does that hit home. Too true! :devil: Thanks for reminding us that "life continues to get better." :smile: What are some of your favorite line dances?

:grumble: Faye, jealous of your outdoor lighting. Too hot here to weed til after 8, then have to stop at nine when I can no longer see 'em...:sad:

:love: Hannah Quilt for a wedding gift what a lovely heirloom to start their new life together.

:flowerforyou: Laura 5# to go, congratulations!

:flowerforyou: BC1 Thanks for the reminder to wear the helmet EVERY single time we get on our bikes. Glad your injuries weren't worse, and that you've found humor in the changing colors.

:brokenheart: chiclet so hard to be so far away. :sad: You may have to let your Mom be mad :mad: at you in order to make sure she gets the care she needs. :brokenheart: Keeping good thoughts for you both... Your brother :explode: can find a different tenant. On an earlier topic, :heart: loved what you said about changing the way we think and look at ourselves. So true!

:drinker: Living9 congratulations on the size 8!

Gutt'n'butt 7th try day 6 and YOWW do I feel it!

Hugs to all,
    :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Morning all :drinker: Just a quick check in before heading out to praise team practice. Hubby just got home a few minutes ago so he'll be sleeping when I get out of church. The gal I usually lunch with in that instance is out of town so looks like I'll be lunching alone today. PTL he goes back on days tomorrow.

This next week is the one we had planned to be at my son's to help his celebrate his 29th birthday. So in a effort to keep my mind occupied elsewhere I have signed up to help with VBS.

On the house front, after 7 weeks they are doing an appraisal so hopefully we'll have a response to our short sale offer this week. At least I hope so!

Happy Sunday y'all! :flowerforyou:
  • shiddleson
    Options
    Hello all - hope it okay if I join you - I won't be 50 until October - but it looks like some of you have about the same goals and weight loss goals that I have - so I am in if that is okay!!!!

I have lost 32.5 pounds since June 1 - but this last week has been really hard - so I find myself falling back into old habits of eating because I am upset! This past couple of months I have been more likely to go exercise - so not sure why this has happened again. Oh well, today is a new day - I like the way you have each set short and long term goals, so here are mine:

August - Exercise at least five times per week. Loose 2 lbs. per week - 249.5 by August 31
    October 3 - 50th birthday - 239.5
    Thanksgiving - 225.5 (62.5 lbs. lost)
    Christmas - 217.5
    New Years Day - 215.5 - Only 55.5 to go til goal!!!!!!!
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Greetings all! Just thought I'd give a shout out to let you know I didn't really drop off the face of the earth. I can't even claim to have been lurking because I haven't. After struggling with my behaviors...not wanting to exercise, not faithfully logging my meals, not even having time to keep up on reading the posts...I decided that for right now I needed to simplify my routine and to change it up for just a while to make it "new" again for me. I am a person who needs change to stay interested...too much of the same thing only causes me to lose interest and stumble or worse yet, eventually quit. So as of July 30, I went back to manually recording in a little black book. After a really good OA meeting last Sunday I chose that day, August 1, as my "Abstinence Date." I also received a "yes" answer from a lovely person whom I had asked to be my sponsor (when first asked, she declined). So having all things in place to make OA work for me I moved forward and as of last evening, completed my first week of abstinence...which means, simply: 3 meals and a snack or dessert.

So my August goals, a week late, are:

1) Practice Abstinence. No between meal snacking, unless it is your one per day planned snack.
    2) Weigh once a week and update on MFP.
    3) Continue to log meals/calories in my "little black book."
    4) Continue to exercise at least 3x/week.

That's it...

I'm sorry I have not been able to stay up on reading everyone's posts. I hope everyone is finding what works for them and are enjoying success and progress in their weight loss journeys.

Sunday blessing to you all.
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    :ohwell: :ohwell: Ooooh dear!!

Scales said the same 153lb today ...we've been out for a looooong late Sunday lunch with friends .
    I'm definitely not in my calories ...haven't even put in the glass of wine .
    :laugh: A Mayaswell Day for sure.
    tomorrow's another day.....see you all then!
    BFN
    :heart: Jackie