crossfit

Options

Replies

• Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    The sad thing is, people that are addicted to exercise see it as a positive, but no addiction is positive.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/addiction/addiction-to-exercise.aspx

Not everyone who describes themself as "addicted" to something is literally addicted. I am pretty sure the above poster is not actually legitimately addicted. I'm willing to bet she just really enjoys it and is using a hyperbole to describe how much she likes it.

^^ This. And equating a person using hyperbole with serious addiction is both offensive, and a straw man.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/straw-man.html
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have been doing CrossFit for over a year now and I LOVE it. Most gyms will offer an OnRamp class. Check it out. I personally think that it is worth every penny. I go 4-5x/week. My fitness has improved. I also am no longer focused on that darn number on the scale. The numbers I focus on is how many pull ups I can do in a row, how much I can bench, what my new max dead lift is, how many handstand push ups I can do. Basically how much stronger I am getting and fueling myself for the workouts. The most 'damage' I've done to myself if torn up my hands with pull ups.
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have decided that I am going to quit thinking and just do it. I will next week after I am done with my summer class and have 3 months of new adventures to do...
  • christy_frank
    Options
    It can be considered overtraining.

It can also be considered dangerous.

Walking around a CrossFit gym with any kind of brace, cast is like a badge of honor.

While I loved it, I decided there are better ways to bang up my body.

I've heard similar things from numerous people. When Crossfit participants rip up their hands and tear open their blisters or skin up their legs during workouts, there are actually Crossfit coaches out there that take photos of the injuries and post them on their websites or Facebook pages as badges of honor.

At the gym I go to, the goal is NOT to get injured during a workout.

NOT AT MY BOX!!!!!! My trainers would NEVER do such a thing. No one thinks it is a badge of honor. I've torn up my hands and my trainer directed me to a website on proper hand care for CrossFitters. My trainers don't want us to get hurt! I would never go to a gym that does that I have not heard of any that do. We get that you don't like CrossFit. Bash it and MOVE ON!!!!! All this hate you have for it must keep you up at night. Let it go.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    The sad thing is, people that are addicted to exercise see it as a positive, but no addiction is positive.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/addiction/addiction-to-exercise.aspx

Well I use to be 560 lbs. and eating myself to death at over 10,000 calories a day and through the grace of god, I got myself in therapy for my food addictions and I got my fat *kitten* in a pool to use water displacement to be able to stand long enough to exercise and 4 years later and losing 312 lbs. and having several knee clean outs and multiple rounds of knee injections and on my 3rd set of OA custom knee braces, I stand before everyone and say that I am Proud to say I have traded a addiction that was going to be the death of me for an exercise addiction that has literally saved my life.... So yeah I see it as a positive.... Am I facing knee replacements in the very near future the answer would be yes but when that time comes well I will move my Exercise addiction to the pool full time where I already spend alot of time swimming laps.......... OP best advice I got is to try it, try anything your heart feels like trying... Life is far to short to listen to anyone try and talk you out of something you may actually find out that you enjoy... There is injury risks in anything you do,, I have worked through several severe injuries over the last 4 years but the one thing is I keep pushing to obtain my goals... Best of Luck to you.....
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I do some running and enter a 5K now and then. It is good exercise and it can be fun at times, but I would not describe it or any of the other exercise activities I do as addictive.

hwwzk5A.gif
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Loved it!!! Very addicting. :). Yes you want to be picky with who your trainer is!! :)

The addictive side of Crossfit is where many of the problems start. Once someone is addicted, they tend to start pushing too hard to compete, and that's when many of the workout injuries happen.

It's better to do a fitness program you like as opposed to one you are addicted to.

How about running? I hear lots of runners say they are addicted, especially to racing. I know I am and a lot of my friends on here. How many runners get injured per year? I know some people who are so addicted they push through injuries to run or get cranky when they can't.
    Perhaps you should start going into all the running topics and warning them too.

I do some running and enter a 5K now and then. It is good exercise and it can be fun at times, but I would not describe it or any of the other exercise activities I do as addictive.

It sounds to me like you don't like to feel a positive passion for anything, but are quite comfortable with hating on crossfit. Maybe you should think a little about why?

I can imagine i would find the 'runner's high' highly addictive if I found the time to run often enough. I can imagine the same kick-*kitten* adrenaline rush from Crossfit.

Crossfit prices are very similar to gym prices round here, so I'd love to give it a go some day.
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    All my cool friends CrossFit, so I thought to myself- why not? But it didn't occur to me that they're in the military and much more well-conditioned lol, and can attempt the "prescribed WODs" without breaking (too much of) a sweat. But I've noticed a lot of newbies taking it up, and their transformations are beyond amazing!!!

I did try out some WODs, but not at a box. Way too expensive, sadly. There are a few interest-based CrossFit communities:- mothers, healthcare professionals, teens, and stuff like that. You could find one that suits you.

The only problem I'm having is substituting equipment. The place I work out at is more of a health studio than a gym, so we don't have barbells and pull-up bars and stuff. Its all about experimenting and adapting, I've learned.

You could check it out, and if you're lucky to have a box near you, you should check it out :)
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    The addictive side of Crossfit is where many of the problems start. Once someone is addicted, they tend to start pushing too hard to compete, and that's when many of the workout injuries happen.

It's better to do a fitness program you like as opposed to one you are addicted to.

For me, running is fun but racing is addictive. I don't plan to stop running or racing anytime soon. But, I will listen to my body and take time cross train to prevent injury. With ANY fitness program, people need to understand that their trainer or coach may not have much education or experience. You have to evaluate that on a case by case basis before you sign a contract. I've never done crossfit, but there is no reason why its inherently more dangerous than lifting weights on your own. Yes, there are other ways to get results, but if people enjoy it and listen to their bodies, who cares. You've made your point, perhaps give other people an opportunity to share their experience.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Secondly, skinnymeep, you cannot tell much about a Crossfit by taking a free class. Free classes are nearly always geared towards beginners they want to enroll, so they will most likely put together a class with exercise moves nearly anyone can do.

*Sigh* Good morning Health_Gal..

Hi Skinnymeep, I've started crossfit two months or so ago and LOVE it. What this lady said ^ is not true. Where I crossfit, you are allowed to join two weeks of classes for free. Those free classes are the REGULAR classes with everybody else (in my box that is). So they give you a good representation of what you can expect. I followed 6 lessons for free before I joined.

For the first time ever I can see changes in my body that are coming from crossfit. It encorporates strenght and conditioning, so you get to work on both.

I never had any strenght training before I started with crossfit, and only did some occasional running and elliptical. You don't need to be fit to start; you're working towards a goal. I'm the least fit and athletic at my box but I don't care. I'm doing it in my pace and I push myself everytime. I can already see improvement and am upping my weights :).

Try it and I think you'll love it! :heart:
  • ZealousMissJJ
    Options

What complete nonsense again.. Doing things you love is addictive. That can be anything. Running, gaming, eating...

You are so persistant in bashing CrossFit that you are actually making a fool of yourself. Get your facts straight.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    Options
    My only experience with CrossFit: I was making a delivery to a business that is next door to a CF box, and they had the back overhead door open. The "coach" was screaming over the loud, pumping music that "if you aren't puking, you're doing it wrong!". Puking does not equal results.

If your only experience was making a delivery next to a crossfit box, you're probably not able to give a very fair representation of crossfit, are you?

Our instructor yells the same thing on occasion. You know what happens? We laugh, giggle and sweat a little more. You push a little further. And this is usually during your amrap, not while lifting heavy. When lifting heavy, any good instructor will be by your side, watching you for correct form.

As with ANY sports, make sure you go somewhere certified. I've been to our most popular gym once for intake, and they told me to go 'have fun on the machines'. I didn't even know how those things worked and had never been to a gym before. I asked if someone could maybe explain me things but they said 'We don't have time today, just go on the machines, there's a quick-start button'. I can stress enough how much guidance I've had (and still have) at crossfit. World of difference.
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    It can be considered overtraining.

It can also be considered dangerous.

Walking around a CrossFit gym with any kind of brace, cast is like a badge of honor.

While I loved it, I decided there are better ways to bang up my body.

I've heard similar things from numerous people. When Crossfit participants rip up their hands and tear open their blisters or skin up their legs during workouts, there are actually Crossfit coaches out there that take photos of the injuries and post them on their websites or Facebook pages as badges of honor.

At the gym I go to, the goal is NOT to get injured during a workout.

Meh, I hardly ever walk out of the gym without some sort of bruise or mark from shifting heavy **** around, it's just par for the course....
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    OP, if you are interested in CrossFit, check out some of your local places that offer it. In my area, there are several places and they are each slightly different in approach and execution.

Talk to the trainers and find out what their credentials are. Talk to some of the people who work out there, and get their take on the coaches and the place in general. Do the free workout (most places do offer the first one free) and go from there. Listen to your gut. You'll know if the place is right for you. You might have to try out more than one to get the right fit; don't let that discourage you.

Lastly, if you choose to listen to the people in this thread who are bashing Crossfit, you should ask them their credentials, and if they have ever actually done CrossFit, to get a sense of how qualified they are to speak about it.

I've been doing it since the first week of January and I am free of injuries, unless you count callouses on my hands. I'm loving the results I'm seeing. This combination of strength and cardio is absolutely the way to go for me.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    today i went for a 27 mile bike ride... on the last mile home, i fell over because i didn't clip out of my pedals properly.

so am i overtraing? or was i doing it wrong?

or did i just **** it up for a second and learn my lesson??
  • christy_frank
    Options
    today i went for a 27 mile bike ride... on the last mile home, i fell over because i didn't clip out of my pedals properly.

so am i overtraing? or was i doing it wrong?

or did i just **** it up for a second and learn my lesson??

Must be overtraining! LOL.
    This is why I will NOT get clips. I am terrified of getting hurt and I do CF 4-5x/week without a lot of mods yet I am terrified to get clips! Haha
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    this was my first time falling wearing clips. i fell because i was stupid and didn't clip out before i hit the breaks. new york city traffic and such.

but just to be safe i'm never going to ride a bike again and i'm going to bash all cyclists on public forums.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I found a local gym that is offering a free introductory class this Saturday so I'm going to give it a try. Will report back on what I think.

I'll also add that even though I'm overweight at the moment, this has not always been the case. I have lifted weights for almost 20 years, and some clown yelling in my ear is not going to make me do an exercise or an additional rep that I know will make me compromise form to complete.

My guess is that CF is just like any other form of exercise (including running, weight training, etc.) If you focus on technique and make sure you are doing everything properly, you will get out of it what you put in.

If you do too much too quickly, you will end up injured.
This discussion has been closed.