Spa owner yells at Mom of Autistic child-Facebook Firestorm

Options
BeinAwesome247
BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
This story actually started as a Facebook status update. [See below]
The woman's friends' shared her status and their friends shared it and so on....I read it myself last night after several of my friends had shared it.
I live in a small area, I know this salon, I've heard of this owner - My heart goes out to the mother, the child, the sympathetic stylist and the poor employees who will be negatively affected because of one woman's lack of human decency and business ethics

http://www.wwmt.com/shared/news/features/top-stories/stories/wwmt_-post-local-spa-gets-huge-response-10441.shtml

Copy of Facebook status that is making it's way around the country

Ok. So when I said my birthday was awesome, that was not entirely true. There was one thing, a very big thing, that happened at M Spa in Kalamazoo while Jessica E. and I were getting our manicures that I cannot get out of my mind. I will warn you this will be kind of long and you might be disgusted at the end of it, like we were.

While we were getting our manicures a mom walked in with her little boy maybe 2 1/2-3 years old. He was NOT happy to be getting a haircut! I laughed because I have totally been there more than once with Jackson. He was such a cute little boy and I told my nail tech about Jackson's first haircut and how he reacted much the same way. He had to sit on his mama's lap for comfort and the hair stylist proceeded to cut his hair. He was crying during it but it didn't bother Jess or I. Heck, the music was still louder than the little boy. All of a sudden a lady stormed into the portion of the spa we were sitting in and proceeded to give the mom a severe tongue lashing and explained how inappropriate her son's behavior was. It got silent in the room besides the woman ranting to the mother. It was seriously painful to watch seeing as I have been there more than once myself and it's very hard when your child is having a tantrum in public. The last thing you need is a woman yelling at you for it. At the conclusion of this woman's tantrum to the mother the mother said through tears, "I'm so sorry, he's autistic". Yup, this woman yelled at a mother and child which is bad enough on it's own just for the mother to reveal her son has special needs on top of being what any 2 1/2-3 year old child might act like when getting a haircut. The poor hairstylist too was like a deer in headlights. The mom cradled her son and left while the stylist followed her. At this moment I was incredibly chocked up. Who could be so heartless? How could someone speak so demeaning to a mother and little boy? Luckily our manicures were done because I wanted to get out of there as quick as possible since this situation left such an awful taste in my mouth. As we were walking out, Jess informed me that the woman was actually the OWNER! Yup, that was the owner who spoke like that to the mom and little boy. I was sickened. Are you kidding me right now?! I mean, I can understand feeling the need to say something since we were at a spa but the way she handled it was completely unprofessional and downright disgusting. I will NEVER go back there! Ever! I hate that I spent $100+ in there yesterday to see what kind of person owned the place. Jess and I walked outside to see the hairstylist finishing the little boy's haircut on the lawn. The mom still crying and cradling her precious son. We hugged her and cried with her too. It was so awful to see this. So heartless. I'm glad I did witness it though so I can speak out against this woman and people like her. Please share this post if you find it as horrific and distasteful as I do. To the mom of the little boy out there, you are an amazing mother and your son is as cute as a button. I know you'll never forget this experience nor will I. I hope for his sake he does not remember it down the road. God bless you!

I intend to write a letter to M Spa with my feelings as well. This was 24 hours ago and I can't get it out of my mind. I'm still in shock to what we witnessed and think that everyone should know what happened yesterday there. Thanks for reading if you're still with me. — feeling disappointed.

Replies

• squindles
    squindles Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    O my word I can't stop :sad: :sad: :sad: How thoroughly DISGUSTING :mad: I think EVERYBODY who reads this should let this salon owner know how horrible she is! What an awful world we live in............................
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Ya since I live near there this BLEW UP like mad on facebook around me.

Now it's everywhere, and WWMT 3 is running a story on their news about this.
  • Lacey_Cakes
    Lacey_Cakes Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My brother is autistic is if some stranger yelled at him. Ooohh man theyd get a serious thrashing.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    O my word I can't stop :sad: :sad: :sad: How thoroughly DISGUSTING :mad: I think EVERYBODY who reads this should let this salon owner know how horrible she is! What an awful world we live in............................

How exactly will that help? Yes it is terrible. No, sadly I don't think it is all that unusual. But how will people raging from thousands of miles away impact that woman? Sharing it locally and with people who can impact her business - absolutely.
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    upscale spa, her business, her rules. dont bring kids...
  • tlangenfeld
    tlangenfeld Posts: 2,330 Member
    Options
    that is way aweful. I feel for the mother and child and for the poor people who had to witness this horrable outburst
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Thats makes me sick to my stomach. Some people..,,I dont know even know
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Urgh, so many kids don't like having their hair cut! Even if he was having a MEGA full on tantrum there is a way to deal with it.... And that wasn't it!!
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Makes me SICK! I can't believe there are people like this out there in the world.

This is why I don't judge parents too harshly anymore for 'outbreaks.' You NEVER know what the child/ family may be dealing with.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she's about to understand how truly awful her behavior was. It'll hit her hard in her pocket book when she doesn't have any more clients. If I were a stylist there, I'd be looking for another salon. It doesn't really matter that the little boy was autistic. What matters is that as the owner of a service based industry, you cater to the public. Obviously she doesn't want to stay in business very long because she won't after that scene...
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    As a friend to a mother who has a child that's autistic and a mother myself to a 2.5 year old myself, this makes me sick. Literally sick. I hope this evil witch gets what she deserves and I hope that sweet little mama and her baby find a way to ease the burden this heartless @$tch left on them.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options

I am wondering what kind of spa it was... at the spas I go to where I spend over $100 it's supposed to be a relaxing atmosphere and I don't know why anyone would bring kids. I would be mad if I spent $100 to have someone bring their kid, autistic or not, just so I can hear crying during my manicure.

Although if it is a place that offers kids haircuts, then crying kids could be expected.

Also don't see what being autistic has to do with it. Sounds like she didn't know he was autistic before she yelled, so she wasn't yelling at him for being autistic, and children without autism cry all the time during haircuts anyway.
  • squindles
    squindles Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Erm, just because I live 1000's of miles away doesn't mean my opinion doesn't count!!!! :huh:
  • LouisianaHott
    Options
    One of my friends has a son that is Autistic. He is one of the sweetest kids I ever met. I have witness a tantrum (small one) and it is hard for him to understand what is going on at that moment. Here I am sitting at my desk with tears streaming and can't imagine what that mother felt at the moment. Thanks for sharing this post.
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    Reading this story, I am mortified. The "owner" will be lucky to have any clients left after this.

As a mother, I have also battled to get my son's hair cut at an early age. At the time, we didnt know he was Autistic! He sat on the floor and played with the hair for hours... but, when it came his turn - forget it!!

KUDOS to the hairstylist for going outside wiht the mother and child and finishing the cut out there. That might have helped the child calm down too.... and gave them some privacy.

Where has human decency gone? I am amazed every day at the total lack of consideration people have for each other.
  • AmazeButt
    AmazeButt Posts: 6
    Options

True! But unfortunately for her, being a rude *kitten* with no compassion is bad for business.
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    How awful. As a mom of a 2 1/2 year old, like you said, they can be challenging enough on their own but then to add a disorder to that, it makes it much more difficult. I praise the stylist for her kindness in the matter and the fact that she continued to cut his hair. God bless her! As for the owner, one can hope that she will learn a VERY hard lesson about humility and ignorance.
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I don't think the owner should have made such a scene about the whole thing by yelling in front of everyone but really a spa is not the place to bring your toddler for a haircut, autistic or not. People pay lots of money to be in a relaxing atmosphere when they go to a spa so I can understand the owner's frustration but that doesn't mean that her reaction was appropriate. She could just as easily have asked the autistic child's mother to be mindful of others next time and to bring her child someplace more appropriate in the future.
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options

I am wondering what kind of spa it was... at the spas I go to where I spend over $100 it's supposed to be a relaxing atmosphere and I don't know why anyone would bring kids. I would be mad if I spent $100 to have someone bring their kid, autistic or not, just so I can hear crying during my manicure.

Although if it is a place that offers kids haircuts, then crying kids could be expected.

Also don't see what being autistic has to do with it. Sounds like she didn't know he was autistic before she yelled, so she wasn't yelling at him for being autistic, and children without autism cry all the time during haircuts anyway.

very good points.. and everyone here is being way too anally PC about a point that didnt matter. The owner didnt say get that special kid outta here. the owner was mad the kid was being too loud and the parent failed to control it.

plain and simple. yet you "sick" people wanna make a mountain out of a mole hill.

parent should take the kid to super cuts, not a upscale spa.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    This angers and saddens me beyond belief!!!! I wish I was there when this happened!:explode: Too top things off, more than likely this little boy was newly diagnosed, so this Mommy's nerves were raw.:cry::brokenheart:

I am a Mom of a 17 year old with autism and I also work with preschoolers with autism. This sickens me to the core...