Spa owner yells at Mom of Autistic child-Facebook Firestorm

Options

Replies

• BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    The worst part is that everyone sat there and said nothing while it happened and then griped about it from the safety of Facebook. Typical

Bingo!
  • vbrent07
    vbrent07 Posts: 115
    Options
    Although I have a special needs son and understand where this mom is coming from, I could understand why the owner would be upset if his tantrum was upsetting other guests. I personally don't think a kid belongs in a spa. However, instead of yelling at the mother, which probably made the boy cry more, the owner should have found a room or something where the child could go to get his haircut without disturbing anyone else. Regardless of age, the boy was still a customer and his needs should have been met. Sometimes it is extremely difficult to control a special needs child and many people don't understand that and blame it on the parent. In this case, I don't think the mother could have stopped her son from crying. There are more professional ways to deal with a situation like that.
  • tripledipped13
    tripledipped13 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have sat here and read this story and it makes me sad that someone would treat a mother and child like this REGARDLESS of whether the child has a disability or not! But what is really making me angry now is all of the negative replies that this lady is getting for voicing her opinion here. I have been on this site for a few weeks now and the out right hatefulness I see is disgusting! If you have an opinion on something someone posts and you do not agree with everything that is in the post, then state it and move on!!!!! This site is suppose to be about motivating people and helping each other meet our goals NOT computer bulling (and yes being down right disrespectful is bulling!)

:grumble: :angry: :explode: :grumble: :angry: :explode: :grumble: :angry: :explode:
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    The worst part is that everyone sat there and said nothing while it happened and then griped about it from the safety of Facebook. Typical

Exactly. Where was the outrage while it was happening? Why didn't customers who were offended by the owner stand up right then and there and say something to her? I would have.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Everyone is brave and full of righteous indignation behind a keyboard. Actually taking action is a completely different matter.
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    upscale spa, her business, her rules. dont bring kids...

This was the first thing that came to your mind after reading the story?

yes. the owner said nothing to the mother about autism. it was all about behavior. just like she would have done if a normal kid acted up in her spa.

a spa is for relaxation.. not for screaming kids.

And what is relaxing about an owner screaming at a customer?

Regardless of the autism, the owner's behavior as it was reported was horrible. You definitely could have made your point about the PC uproar without coming off like an insensitive jerk.
  • jgollnick
    jgollnick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I agree that this is not about autism. I think the fact that the child has autism adds to the distress that the mother felt. But this is typical behavior for a child that age. My grandson is 3 and he hates getting his haircut. I read in another post that the mother has brought her child in prevuiously for haircuts. If that is the case than obviously children are welcome there. If not, it should be explicitly posted somewhere at the salon. I really think that is irrelevant fact as well. What really matters here is the way the owner handled the situation. Especially in a supposedly "upscale" environment, you don't diffuse a scene by creating a bigger scene.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,599 Member
    Options
    Yep. Someone's gotta save the day.

No if only we could get this type of response against Congress...........................................................

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

You know that people are going to lash out at you for your comment, but I totally agree with you. If I had an autistic child, there is no way I would take him/her to a barber/hairdresser that young to cut their hair. The child is already autistic, why put him in a situation like this. Was the owner wrong to scream at the mother of course, but the mother has to ensure some of the blame for putting her child in that situation. I have seen children who are not autistic have a hard time having their hair cut, never mind an autistic child.

Mothers need to understand the world is a cruel place, not everyone is going to love your child or be sympathetic to whether they have autistic, ADHD etc, but you as the adult have to assess the situation before putting your child into it.

If this repulses you as a consumer, take your business else where, that the power of the mighty dollar.
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Oh no. I would have said something, though I am a man so I may be more quick to anger. Wait I say short people are quick to anger since the anger has less room to travel.

It is so sad that people would be so cold, and not understand that the mother didnt wish to have a child born with autism, the child didnt wish to be born that way. There are things in this world that are completely out of your control. To bash a child let alone one with autism is sickening. If there is a cause to be upset at, this is one of them. Where is the group Autism Speak on this issue?

out of all this, I would think there might be a niche market for a hair and nail salon that openly and is geared towards people with autism and their families.

Spoken like a true man.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Oh no. I would have said something, though I am a man so I may be more quick to anger. Wait I say short people are quick to anger since the anger has less room to travel.

It is so sad that people would be so cold, and not understand that the mother didnt wish to have a child born with autism, the child didnt wish to be born that way. There are things in this world that are completely out of your control. To bash a child let alone one with autism is sickening. If there is a cause to be upset at, this is one of them. Where is the group Autism Speak on this issue?

out of all this, I would think there might be a niche market for a hair and nail salon that openly and is geared towards people with autism and their families.

Spoken like a true man.

Anything to contribute besides insults? Two posted here so far.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

I am wondering what kind of spa it was... at the spas I go to where I spend over $100 it's supposed to be a relaxing atmosphere and I don't know why anyone would bring kids. I would be mad if I spent $100 to have someone bring their kid, autistic or not, just so I can hear crying during my manicure.

Although if it is a place that offers kids haircuts, then crying kids could be expected.

Also don't see what being autistic has to do with it. Sounds like she didn't know he was autistic before she yelled, so she wasn't yelling at him for being autistic, and children without autism cry all the time during haircuts anyway.

All of the above. I don't see what the kid being autistic had to do with any of this since it wasn't revealed until after the confrontation.

My feelings depend on if it was a nice upscale spa or your average local spa that offers all services for all people/children.
  • socajam
    Options

I am wondering what kind of spa it was... at the spas I go to where I spend over $100 it's supposed to be a relaxing atmosphere and I don't know why anyone would bring kids. I would be mad if I spent $100 to have someone bring their kid, autistic or not, just so I can hear crying during my manicure.

Although if it is a place that offers kids haircuts, then crying kids could be expected.

Exactly. People are not looking at the big picture. Like you I am not spending $100 to hear some kid screaming, i go to the spa to relax, not to return home worse than when I entered. The mother need to shoulder some of the blame, obviously she must me one of those parents who feels that her child should be acceptable to everyone.

Also don't see what being autistic has to do with it. Sounds like she didn't know he was autistic before she yelled, so she wasn't yelling at him for being autistic, and children without autism cry all the time during haircuts anyway.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Meanwhile, hundreds of kids are dying of starvation and AIDS - but who cares - they're not on Facebook.
  • smmadsen
    smmadsen Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The comparison was not the location of the incident, but the behavior of the adult owner of a service industry.

So what that it was a spa? I have seen alot of places called a spa because someone does manicures there.

The mom did not go into the business with the intention of her child yelling and disturbing others. However, the owner did make a choice to deal with it in a negative manner.

I remember when I was younger and saw a child crying or misbehaving it was easy to blame the parents. My view changed after raising my children and knowing each one is very different.

Some would do perfectly fine taking to restaurants, movies etc.. and others it is best to maybe rent a movie.
    I don't think we are talking about the Mother's judgement about taking him to a place he has been before routinely and done well but the service industry owner, who even if having a bad hair day made a bad choice by yelling at a customer.

You are correct about us not knowing all the details but even without all the details or "what if's" it is NOT OK to treat people like that.

I think most parents would agree that a child acting up because of bad parenting is a big difference than one who is anxious or scared at the moment.

I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Mine is based on experience.
    Next time you hear a child cry try to figure out why and offer your heart, not your judgement.
  • smmadsen
    smmadsen Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Good point!
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    It's kind of sad that the person mentioned how nice and understanding the stylist was... but ultimately the bad reviews and outrage will effect the stylists and other people working there (probably more so than the owner). Unless it truly rises to a level where she has to close her business she'll cut hours, pay, and jobs before she loses too much money :0/...
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    But what is really making me angry now is all of the negative replies that this lady is getting for voicing her opinion here.

"The lady" didn't voice her opinion OR her first hand account of what happened here...this is the point many people on here are trying to make.
  • socajam
    Options

very good points.. and everyone here is being way too anally PC about a point that didnt matter. The owner didnt say get that special kid outta here. the owner was mad the kid was being too loud and the parent failed to control it.

plain and simple. yet you "sick" people wanna make a mountain out of a mole hill.

parent should take the kid to super cuts, not a upscale spa.

Is she choses to take her child there and pay the money then she has every right to! :mad: :explode: It's not like he was going to be there for three hours!

And the owner of the business can refuse to serve and the loud crying child. It is not a government business where one can be fined to refusing to serve someone. Its called PRIVATE.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    This has nothing to do with autism, and everything to do with time and place. And a spa with a little kid, no matter if he's on the spectrum, is an inappropriate place. What it is was a very fancy restaurant, or the theatre, would be still be so accommodating?

The spa took the appointment knowing who the kid was!

One would presume (apparently erroneously) that a competent spa owner would be familiar with all the clientele.