Went and saw a nutritionist... uh what?

Options

Replies

• shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    that sounds sort of ridiculous, but i'm not a nutritionist..?

Stick a sign on your door that says you are and then BAM you become one.

Nutritionist is a very loosely guarded term. Dietitians on the other hand need qualifications that take a considerable amount of effort.

This is totally true!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth...

Settled a suit a few months ago regarding the injury our client suffered due to following the advice of a nutritionist. In the US, "nutritionist" is not a legally protected term, whereas a term like "dietician" is. In other words, the title "nutritionist" is not professionally regulated while the term "dietitian" is. Because the nutritionist in this case held herself out to be an expert and our client relied to her detriment on that representation of professionalism/expertise, the nutritionist was liable for damage caused by adherence to information provided, information which conflicted with professionally and traditionally accepted nutrition practices.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

So I went and saw a nutritionist today, my exercise is pretty good and wanted help on the diet side of things.

I know I eat way too much pasta but did not expect the news she gave me!

Essentially my diet would be: (similarish to what I eat now except for the dinners)

Breakfast:
    Greek yoghurt
    Museli
    Fruit

Lunch: Salad with protein

Dinner; Protein with unlimited veg

No pasta except once or twice a week with half a cup of brown rice, some wholewheat pasta

This totals MAXIMUM 900 calories, if that. At the moment in the last three months or so I've been averaging approx 1300 cals, which I thought was about right. I voiced this concern to her, and she said it was okay, that eating this amount of calories was RIGHT for me, and should be around 1000 or less.

I'm female, 5'8, approx 120kgs at the start now around 110kg. I workout approx 3 - 6 times a week, with a PT so cardio/weights, pretty intense exercise as I am pretty strong, e.g. I leg press 3 sets 10 reps 130kg... 30mins cardio each session.

I know I have a fair amount of weight to lose but I'm not 300kg, I mean really... Does this sound right?

**Edit: I have another appointment in three weeks, was just going to try it out and see how things go but at that rate I'll have lost maybe 12kg in three weeks

Your guessing it is 900 calories or maybe you did this 1 time and came up with that number ? Did you actually measure your food ? Seems like you are just hesitant on taking the advice of the nutritionist and want a bunch of random people to back you up based on your assumption to me.

Unlimited veggies can = allot of calories ... have unlimited avocado and log it after ....then see how many calories you had. Since you already eat this way shouldn't be a problem for you outside of the dinners ? You can make spaghetti with spaghetti squash ... It is a veggie after all and you can have "unlimited" of veggies at night.

Personally don't agree with anyone that says "unlimited" anything... That's just my opinion though.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    was this person a register dietician? cause that's the only person you should be talking too...
  • knottyceltic
    knottyceltic Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I would avoid this "nutritionist" like the plague. 900 calories is not recommended for any adult unless they've had recent weight loss surgery and are on liquids and soft foods and even then it's not much. But for a healthy adult woman of your height there is no way you should be advised to take 1,000 calories a day much less 900 calories a day. I do agree with her telling you to switch to a whole grain pasta but one day a week sounds restrictive. Brown and wild rice is so much better and tastier than white rice any day so that's an easy switch as well but the rest of her advice is ludicrous. Use the MFP food diary every day and work out what is best for you through trial and error. It might be as simple as taking what you are already doing and tweaking the portion sizes a bit along with taking whole grain foods instead of white grains and pastas and adding in the brown and wild rices. Good luck and have fun with it.
  • divaindy
    divaindy Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth...

Settled a suit a few months ago regarding the injury our client suffered due to following the advice of a nutritionist. In the US, "nutritionist" is not a legally protected term, whereas a term like "dietitian" is. In other words, the title "nutritionist" is not professionally regulated while the term "dietitian" is. Because the nutritionist in this case held herself out to be an expert and our client relied to her detriment on that representation of professionalism/expertise, the nutritionist was liable for damage caused by adherence to information provided, information which conflicted with professionally and traditionally accepted nutrition practices.

Interesting!
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Why the hell are you asking a forum of unqualified nobodies?

Basically you're wanting us to tell you something different to the person you paid to give expert advice. Sure, OK, sounds like rubbish, eat a load more.

By the way I have no idea what I'm talking about. Happy?

woah. angry person alert!!

here have a flower :flowerforyou:

LOL
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    My sister is a dietitian and everything she tells me is opposite of that. I would get a second opinion.

I agree! Get a 2nd opinion!
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I really wish people on here would STOP saying that a Nutritionist is not a qualified person...to be a Nutritionist one must have a degree and or be licensed/certified.

Dieticians are concerned with DIET, Nutritionists are concerned with NUTRITION...the difference is bigger than I am
  • Tamekia770
    Tamekia770 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had found this a while back not sure where, but it help me so I am sharing.....:smile: ......
    Knowing your BMR is critical in figuring out your calorie intake for weight loss. In fact, your BMR accounts for up to 60% - 75% of the total calories you burn in a day.

Basal Metabolic Rate
    Now that you know how important your Basal Metabolic Rate is to losing weight, let's take a closer look.

For instance, a 25 year old woman weighing 160 lbs and 5’3” would have a Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) of 1,441.

This is the amount of calories per day that her body would burn while at rest. Put another way, this is the amount of energy she would need for basic body functions.

Since these energy needs for the basic body functions stay fairly consistent and are not easily changed, you can expect this calorie expenditure to be about the same given the above example of age, gender, weight and height are constant.

Once you know your BMR, then you would need to adjust this for your activity level to determine your daily calorie intake needs in order to maintain your current weight.

Let’s take this same 5’3” woman as an example. If she was sedentary, meaning little or no exercise, then she would need to consume 1,730 calories to maintain her existing weight.

If she worked out or played moderately strenuous sports 3 - 5 days a week, she would need 2,234 calories to maintain her weight.

If she wanted to lose weight, then she would need to create a calorie deficit, meaning burn more calories than she consumes.
    Remember the number of calories you consume must be less than the calories burned. This can be done by either reducing your calories, creating a calorie deficit, or by adding activity. Or a person can do both, reducing daily calorie intake and adding exercises.

So, if this same woman currently consumed 1779 calories a day and added exercises, which burned 200 calories, she would have created a calorie deficit. If she also reduced her daily calorie intake by 300 (in addition to her exercise routine), then she would have a deficit of 500 calories
  • staystrong_314159
    staystrong_314159 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Anyone who eats under 1,000 calories for more than two months is legally anorexic. That's definitely not enough for you.
  • thatrachelallen
    Options
    900 calories isn't enough at all. It really astounds me that this person is a nutritionist and is basically telling you to starve yourself. Especially as much as you are working out.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Did she TELL you not to eat over 900 calories? YOu can certainly eat those things and hit 1300 calories.....
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    My friend was on a very similar sounding plan (although she was allowed another fruit and small protein throughout the day as a snack, but was not allowed something like muesli). I think veggies were "free" foods and other than that, she was basically eating 800 calories per day and working out twice a day. She lost weight VERY quickly. Then she started eating like a normal person again, and is currently 60 pounds heavier. This needs to be a lifestyle if you want a sustainable weight loss. But do whatever you want. This particular "nutritionist" offered weight loss plans. You'll definitely lose weight on a plan like this. But you won't be very happy.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    The OP is a 240 pound female. She is more likely to die of heart disease tomorrow than eating 1k calories, which is why I see nothing wrong with the 1k recommendation. If someone can make a case that 1k calories can actually kill you than I could agree but the fact of the matter is that the OP could drop dead any moment due to her weight, not 1k calories.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your opinion. Don't agree, but I appreciate it. :-) I do mean that. Some of the best lifestyle advice I've ever received was from an M.D. I think it just depends on their focus and training.

It does. And most of them lack that training, sad to say. If you've been lucky, I'm glad. But my advice still stands--MDs are, overall, a poor source of information on matters of nutrition.

http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/publications/news/news-now/resident-student-focus/20101020nutritioneduc.html

http://journals.lww.com/academicmedicine/Fulltext/2010/09000/Nutrition_Education_in_U_S__Medical_Schools_.30.aspx

:-)
  • want2befitnthin
    want2befitnthin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! NO this doesn't sound right at all!!!!

Read Denise Austin's books, she has awesome recipes and has a degree, the nutritionist just want to assure their clients will see results, fast, so the quick fix is applied.

Denise Austin says not to go below 1,300 actually. And of course we should be consuming much more if we are active.

That's like this show I was watching, the girl went to see a nutritionist & they put the girl on a liquid only diet. I mean really??

This is not a long term life solution!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    The OP is a 240 pound female. She is more likely to die of heart disease tomorrow than eating 1k calories, which is why I see nothing wrong with the 1k recommendation. If someone can make a case that 1k calories can actually kill you than I could agree but the fact of the matter is that the OP could drop dead any moment due to her weight, not 1k calories.

Let's put it this way. The difference between her previous intake (~1400 Cals) and the recommended intake (900 Cals) is 500 Cals. That means she'd theoretically lose an extra lb per week - at least until her metabolism compensates.

Do you think losing one extra lb per week would really save her from heart disease fast enough to make a difference? I doubt it.

Better to lose the weight in a manner that lets the OP feel as good as possible so she can kick it during her workouts, and doesn't make her burn out on the whole weight loss idea entirely.
  • Tendlr
    Tendlr Posts: 17
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

Let's put it this way. The difference between her previous intake (~1400 Cals) and the recommended intake (900 Cals) is 500 Cals. That means she'd theoretically lose an extra lb per week - at least until her metabolism compensates.

Do you think losing one extra lb per week would really save her from heart disease fast enough to make a difference? I doubt it.

Better to lose the weight in a manner that lets the OP feel as good as possible so she can kick it during her workouts, and doesn't make her burn out on the whole weight loss idea entirely.

Yes, weight is not the only issue here. The idea is to immediately force her cells to pull more resources from plaque in her arteries and the fatty liver instead of the resources already floating around in the blood.. Artery plaque is made from fats, cholesterol, and calcium. All these things the cells need. The low calorie diet is a guarantee that the cells in your body will pull more off of the walls in your arteries.