Went and saw a nutritionist... uh what?

Options

Replies

• Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Looks like there is lots of advice rolling in.

I vote for "that's too low". Regardless of your starting weight, you still have to fuel your body & brain on a daily basis. I can't imagine trying to function, work, exercise and generally live life while staying under 900 calories. I mean WHY?

Eat well and get some exercise. You'll lose weight :)

Best wishes! :flowerforyou:
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I started off at 208lbs and now I'm 178 lbs , that happened in the course of 4 months, My goal is 1200 calories per day, and I eat back my workout calories, My diet is similar to yours and it seemed to work. I do workout like crazy if you look at my diary(it's open to the public)most low number days are 600 calories and high number days are 1000-1200 and done a couple of 1400 caloris days as well.
    I'd adhere to the 1200 calories pretty much 95% of the time. and at least 50% of the time, I have 300 calories or more left over. The days I don't log is because I'm Asian and home cooked Asian meals is hard to find calories numbers on it.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I really wish people on here would STOP saying that a Nutritionist is not a qualified person...to be a Nutritionist one must have a degree and or be licensed/certified.

Dieticians are concerned with DIET, Nutritionists are concerned with NUTRITION...the difference is bigger than I am
    Not really. A nutritionist can take a weekend course and still call themselves a nutritionist. A dietitian studies for 4 years minimum at an institute of higher ed and spends time on clinical placement (it's similar in the UK, US). The difference is certainly big but not in the way you are suggesting.

It sounds like the OP saw someone with questionable ideas.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    The OP is a 240 pound female. She is more likely to die of heart disease tomorrow than eating 1k calories, which is why I see nothing wrong with the 1k recommendation. If someone can make a case that 1k calories can actually kill you than I could agree but the fact of the matter is that the OP could drop dead any moment due to her weight, not 1k calories.

Let's put it this way. The difference between her previous intake (~1400 Cals) and the recommended intake (900 Cals) is 500 Cals. That means she'd theoretically lose an extra lb per week - at least until her metabolism compensates.

Do you think losing one extra lb per week would really save her from heart disease fast enough to make a difference? I doubt it.

Better to lose the weight in a manner that lets the OP feel as good as possible so she can kick it during her workouts, and doesn't make her burn out on the whole weight loss idea entirely.

Yes, weight is not the only issue here. The idea is to immediately force her cells to pull more resources from plaque in her arteries and the fatty liver instead of the resources already floating around in the blood.. Artery plaque is made from fats, cholesterol, and calcium. All these things the cells need. The low calorie diet is a guarantee that the cells in your body will pull more off of the walls in your arteries.

Why not just eat a lot of mushrooms then? Chitin requires lipids from the blood to be eliminated.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

So I went and saw a nutritionist today, my exercise is pretty good and wanted help on the diet side of things.

I know I eat way too much pasta but did not expect the news she gave me!

Essentially my diet would be: (similarish to what I eat now except for the dinners)

Breakfast:
    Greek yoghurt
    Museli
    Fruit

Lunch: Salad with protein

Dinner; Protein with unlimited veg

No pasta except once or twice a week with half a cup of brown rice, some wholewheat pasta

This totals MAXIMUM 900 calories, if that. At the moment in the last three months or so I've been averaging approx 1300 cals, which I thought was about right. I voiced this concern to her, and she said it was okay, that eating this amount of calories was RIGHT for me, and should be around 1000 or less.

I'm female, 5'8, approx 120kgs at the start now around 110kg. I workout approx 3 - 6 times a week, with a PT so cardio/weights, pretty intense exercise as I am pretty strong, e.g. I leg press 3 sets 10 reps 130kg... 30mins cardio each session.

I know I have a fair amount of weight to lose but I'm not 300kg, I mean really... Does this sound right?

**Edit: I have another appointment in three weeks, was just going to try it out and see how things go but at that rate I'll have lost maybe 12kg in three weeks

Usually the lowest for anyone is 1200,
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    And this is why nutritionists in general don't know jack spit, along with trainers and everyone else in this industry. Such a terrible thing to have to waste your money/time on such nonsense. No need to see a dietician or nutritionist unless you have a disease.
  • arcaneshadowcat
    Options
    I've lost an average of 2 lbs/ week over the last 30 days eating 1530 net calories a day (I am 5'11" and 260 lbs). I've done the 900 calorie diet before and it just throws you into starvation mode making it harder to lose the weight. For me on a daily basis my body uses roughly 2500 calories just for metabolic processes with a sedentary lifestyle. When I started MFP, I wasn't losing weight at all even though I'd started exercising and dieting... turns out I had hypothyroidism. I've been on the meds for about 2.5 months now and have lost 15 lbs without changing what I was doing. Experiment with your routine as we are each different, see if you need more cardio to loose weight, if that doesn't work, increase your caloric intake 100 calories, if that doesn't work, then decrease 100 calories a week to a minimum of 1200 calories, if you still see no change, go to your doctor (physician not dietician) to assess if you are having a health issue. Print off your MFP reports over a 90 day period and bring that to your doctor to help show what is going on.
  • samanthawardle31
    samanthawardle31 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a very strict regime. I am 5 feet 4, and fairly active. I have lost 20 lbs over the past 6 months, slowly but surely, on 12-1450 a day (more if I exercise). Couldnt do less!
  • arcaneshadowcat
    Options
    I started off at 208lbs and now I'm 178 lbs , that happened in the course of 4 months, My goal is 1200 calories per day, and I eat back my workout calories, My diet is similar to yours and it seemed to work. I do workout like crazy if you look at my diary(it's open to the public)most low number days are 600 calories and high number days are 1000-1200 and done a couple of 1400 calories days as well.
    I'd adhere to the 1200 calories pretty much 95% of the time. and at least 50% of the time, I have 300 calories or more left over. The days I don't log is because I'm Asian and home cooked Asian meals is hard to find calories numbers on it.

You can enter your recipes into the food log for personal use, or even make the recipe public. For personal use, you just put in what you used to make the meal and then how many people it serves and how much you ate of it. It will save it to your recipe section for re-use later.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Essentially my diet would be: (similarish to what I eat now except for the dinners)

Breakfast:
    Greek yoghurt
    Museli
    Fruit

No pasta except once or twice a week with half a cup of brown rice, some wholewheat pasta
    I'd rather die young, if that was the only alternative to the above.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Dd she mention snacks at all? All it would take would be a banana mid morning and an apple with peanut butter later to get you over 1200 calories, and you could do it without starchy carbs.

I personally don't think totally cutting anything out is a good idea, unless you have an allergy to it. I tried not eating starchy carbs at all. As soon as I got pregnant I craved them and put on lots of weight.

I find that pasta doesn't really agree with me so I rarely eat it, and I limit myself to 2 slices of bread a day. I don't really eat rice either, maybe twice a month. I do eat potatoes though.

I started off at 220lbs, as a 5'6 female, and I spent over a year eating 1200 calories a day or less, working out 5 times a week and looking after 2 young kids. I lost weight and it didn't do me any harm. However, after joining MFP I realised I should increase my calories, and I lost even more weight. I now weigh 157 but can wear my old clothes I kept from when I weighed 147.

I'd say what the nutritionist told you makes sense, apart from the 900 calories thing. I'd also have eggs for breakfast sometimes rather than fruit and yoghurt.
  • diamondsword
    diamondsword Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    To put things into perspective your brain alone needs 500 calories daily. I would check the nutritionists credentials. This is a starvation diet and not something you should consider. That is if you would find it even possible to keep up.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    nutritionists are not dieticians... aka a bro at the gym isn't a personal training.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

So I went and saw a nutritionist today, my exercise is pretty good and wanted help on the diet side of things.

Breakfast:
    Greek yoghurt
    Museli
    Fruit

This totals MAXIMUM 900 calories, if that. At the moment in the last three months or so I've been averaging approx 1300 cals, which I thought was about right. I voiced this concern to her, and she said it was okay, that eating this amount of calories was RIGHT for me, and should be around 1000 or less.

I'm female, 5'8, approx 120kgs at the start now around 110kg. I workout approx 3 - 6 times a week, with a PT so cardio/weights, pretty intense exercise as I am pretty strong, e.g. I leg press 3 sets 10 reps 130kg... 30mins cardio each session.

I know I have a fair amount of weight to lose but I'm not 300kg, I mean really... Does this sound right?

**Edit: I have another appointment in three weeks, was just going to try it out and see how things go but at that rate I'll have lost maybe 12kg in three weeks

Not to sound stupid (and I'll admit I didn't read the whole thread) but I don't see any AMOUNTS of anything.

Breakfast: You could eat, say, 100gms of muesli, massive dollop of yoghurt, a chopped banana, strawberries and blueberries and that could easily top 600 cals alone.

Lunch: You could have a dressed salad with two chicken breasts wrapped in bacon and that'll be about 600 cals

Dinner: You could have an 8oz sirloin with broccoli and carrot and something like mashed sweetpotato and that'll weigh in about 600 cals.

Without trying I have hit 1800 cals following your nutritionist's advice.
  • squindles
    squindles Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Breakfast:
    Greek yoghurt
    Museli
    Fruit

Not to sound stupid (and I'll admit I didn't read the whole thread) but I don't see any AMOUNTS of anything.

Breakfast: You could eat, say, 100gms of muesli, massive dollop of yoghurt, a chopped banana, strawberries and blueberries and that could easily top 600 cals alone.

Lunch: You could have a dressed salad with two chicken breasts wrapped in bacon and that'll be about 600 cals

Dinner: You could have an 8oz sirloin with broccoli and carrot and something like mashed sweetpotato and that'll weigh in about 600 cals.

Without trying I have hit 1800 cals following your nutritionist's advice.

^^^^THIS^^^^
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

At a BMI of 36 you're in the category where large calorie restrictions are often used by professionals, although it has been pointed out that there are no quantities specified.
  • erinbuberin
    Options
    Definitely get a second opinion. The calories sound far too little.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    The OP is a 240 pound female. She is more likely to die of heart disease tomorrow than eating 1k calories, which is why I see nothing wrong with the 1k recommendation. If someone can make a case that 1k calories can actually kill you than I could agree but the fact of the matter is that the OP could drop dead any moment due to her weight, not 1k calories.

Or not. She's a 5'8", physically-strong young female who works out regularly. Chances are equally good that she's healthier than most of her thinner/lighter friends. At similar stats, my medical records were spotless, despite several doctors who were determined to find something wrong with me - I must be unwell or about to be, because I was fat. Not true, as it turns out. Fat & fit does actually exist. The only reason I decided to take losing weight seriously was for professional reasons, not health.

1k calories on a daily basis, minus a 300-600 cal exercise burn (not eaten back), would be starvation by any medical chart you care to look at, even for someone not of the OP's height and physical stature. Long periods of this sort of caloric restriction can, in fact, lead to heart failure and death. Educate yourself before posting inflammatory and unhelpful remarks.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    We definitely dont live in the same country! :noway: