Overweight personal trainers

Options

Replies

• So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    922256d1357147498-difficult-choice-help-me-decide-als-pp-other-zombiethread.jpg
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I was a swimming coach for a competitive club, and overweight, but in that instance it didn't really matter - I could swim well, technique is fine, and had the knowledge to coach and teach from 3 month old babies up to adult competition swimmers.

However, when you're working primarily with clients that want to improve their body aesthetically, being in a good shape is a great advertisement. If you have a choice of Mr Fit And Knowledgable and Mr Knowledgable, most people will take the former in preference. It's perfectly acceptable to be overweight, but it may put some people off - which is fair enough.
  • KnifeThrower89
    Options
    When I was in the army there was this guy I trained with who was in the 300 pound range. Training was over 6 months. I asked him how is it that in 6 months you haven't gotten skinny like the rest of us.

He told me: "Just because I am over weight doesn't mean I am not fit."

He was right. His PT scores were amazing he could run the 5 miles faster than I was able to and that's saying something!

His situps were 50's or 60's I maxed mine at 100.

But the point was He was large and still fit and in shape.
  • aprmay
    aprmay Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am a personal trainer and do not have the typical ripped look as many do. I pride myself on being on being a trainer who has walked in my clients' shoes. I have lost 80 lbs, gained 20 back, lost again, struggle with binge eating disorder, and fight with my fat girl demons every day. I am a trainer because during my weight loss I encountered so many trainers who are blessed with amazing genes and I found that it was hard to come by those who actually knew and had EXPERIENCED the struggles of being fat. It is sometimes intimidating for me to say I am a personal trainer.. I wear a size 10, not a 2.. I always fear judgment as I do not fit the mold of your typical trainer. My business has been very successful though. I find women are more trusting of me due to the fact I can actually respond to their concerns using my own experiences, success, and failures.

I will trust and hire you too since you've been there and done it and still practicing to be better. Even if the other trainers are nice, it's harder for me to relate to them if they have always been fit and never struggle with weight.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I'd want my trainer to be in shape. I want someone to inspire me to put the work in. I'd also think that someone knowledgeable would be able to apply their own practices to themself.

It is true that there are trainers that are in shape that have no real knowledge of fitness. The trainers at my gym seem to be better salespeople than triainers though. They all speak of what they can help me with and want me to commit to a year of training sessions. The one time I did sign up with a trainer, he took a smoke break (!) in the middle of our session!

I realized then that I knew what was best for me and that there is plenty of information on the web and MFP in order to put together a good fitness regime.
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't have a personal trainers but all the ones I have seen on websites/gym advertisments always look really fit and in shape, so this made me wonder if there are any PTs out there that aren't fit and well proportioned. And would any of you use a PT that was obviously overweight/obese? And if not why not?

Then I had another thought, there seem to be a number of professional coaches who are overweight/obese, at least the ones that I have seen on tv - however that is quite a small number and prob mainly rugby orientated (I live in NZ) as I don't watch sport on tv so only catch it on the news occasionally.

If it is acceptable for coaches to be overweight is it ok for PTs to be overweight?

Food for thought....

Great question....I don't know about trainers but I have two teenage daughters and most people would think the slimmer one is healthier but in reality my other daughter who you might described as somewhat overweight is actually in better shape and goes to the gym where my other daughter does not do any exercises...she is starting to though:)
  • txjg
    txjg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is just MHO, but as a middle aged woman who is not very fit and never was, I find the uber-fit trainers to be intimidating and I worry they will push me too hard (to the point of blowing my already high blood pressure or some other health related problem). I feel much more comfortable with people who have actually had to struggle to keep fit, not those who are naturally athletic and slim and don't understand. Also, I don't like exercise lol. Never did. I think many people who are fit do like exercise and find it fun. Someone like that will never be able to understand my point of view.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    At my fittest point I was considered overweight. I was probably 85% muscle, played three varsity sports (high school), and could run a mile in >7 minutes. I had abs and guns. But according to that little weight/height ratio chart, I was overweight. I was even trying to lose weight then.

So yeah. Looks can be deceiving. And to think I thought I was fat back then. Sigh.

This is not what is implied by overweight. many of us are considered overweight or obese by numbers on a chart. No one sees that or knows that unless you tell them. What I mean and Im guessing many here do as well are the people who are overweight/obese and its written all over them by the way they look. Potbellied men and women who are about 30plus overweight..

Well in that case.... no I have never seen a personal trainer look like that, nor would I probably go to one. :smile:
  • IronFiend
    IronFiend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    To be 100% honest and tell the the truth - even when it's an ugly truth - I'm going to say what I DO and not what I should do.

To me, if I'm going PAY you to coach me in how I workout and eat, I want to see that YOU are also able to do it. I think as a trainer you're also sort of selling yourself, you know? I feel like if even you can't do it, a certified trainer - than how the heck can I?

Fair? Maybe not. I realize that they may also be out of shape and still have the knowledge I need - but again, I'm being honest about what I actually do, not what I should do.

But I'm all about results based fitness.

ABSOLUTELY!
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    When I was in the army there was this guy I trained with who was in the 300 pound range. Training was over 6 months. I asked him how is it that in 6 months you haven't gotten skinny like the rest of us.

He told me: "Just because I am over weight doesn't mean I am not fit."

He was right. His PT scores were amazing he could run the 5 miles faster than I was able to and that's saying something!

His situps were 50's or 60's I maxed mine at 100.

But the point was He was large and still fit and in shape.

Exactly the point I'm making. Someone running around in here yelling about BMI isn't really reading everyone else's posts because tehy're all being pretty biased based on looks.
  • frommetobetterme
    frommetobetterme Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think that appearance does play a role, but it's definitely not my main concern. I chose my trainer because she had a lot of experience, has a degre in kinesiology and therefore the knowledge to help me with my many sport injuries that have contributed to me getting so out of shape. As a bonus, she use to do bodybuilding competitions and is applying to be a cop, so she's tough as nails (but still nice).

I think a lot of it has to do with personality also. Some years ago, I had a trainer who was really muscular. She knew her stuff (what she said made sense), but we didn't mesh because I found her really intimidating. This made working out with her uncomfortable. Not that she wasn't good, we just didn't fit.

I also had another female trainer that was starting out. She didn't know everything and wasn't super fit, but her willingness to learn and to do research when she didn't know an answer was really appreciated. Though I also didn't pay her nearly as much as I do my current trainer.

So for me, it's more about their knowledge and our chemistry, but I won't deny that I would have less of a tendency to go to someone who isn't fit.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Overweight but fit would be fine with me. I'd go to that trainer. I would NOT go to a trainer who was morbidly obese, wheezing, and obviously unhealthy. That person would be the 'anti' motivation for me.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I might give a chubby trainer a chance, but they're definitely starting with a deficit.

One thing I would keep in mind is that somebody who knows how to be fit may not practice that knowledge, and somebody who is naturally fit might not know some of the challenges that I have to deal with.

All that said, I'm not a big fan of trainers in general, unless it's to work on specific elements of form. The only person responsible for my fitness is me.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Again, I ask: "Who would turn down an opportunity to be coached by Dan John or Mark Rippetoe?"
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I became a personal trainer because I love being fit and living this "lifestyle" and sharing it with others. Sounds cliché but it's the honest truth. I personally want to lead or for a better term "encourage" by example. That said, my personal appearance is not what makes me a good trainer. My passion & my knowledge (I am CONSTANTLY researching, reading, learning, etc.) is what makes me a good trainer. I've seen trainers that could be on the front page of Muscle & Fitness that are clueless. I've seen trainer's that could literally stand to lose a few pounds that are brilliant. You really can't let aesthetics be the judge of a good trainer.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I became a personal trainer because I love being fit and living this "lifestyle" and sharing it with others. Sounds cliché but it's the honest truth. I personally want to lead or for a better term "encourage" by example. That said, my personal appearance is not what makes me a good trainer. My passion & my knowledge (I am CONSTANTLY researching, reading, learning, etc.) is what makes me a good trainer. I've seen trainers that could be on the front page of Muscle & Fitness that are clueless. I've seen trainer's that could literally stand to lose a few pounds that are brilliant. You really can't let aesthetics be the judge of a good trainer.

And this makes you sound like a great personal trainer! The drive to improve oneself shouldn't end at bicep curls (in the squat rack!) but begin with a thirst for deeper knowledge.....
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    It's just as simple as this . Who in their right mind wants a trainer who's out of shape !!!! Your objective is to look good, feel good & be healthier. if your trainer looks like crap:angry::angry: that is no way to motivate you at all????????

exactly.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    When I had a personal trainer, I had one that was totally ripped. Gorgeous man. Each muscle group was defined and the overall look was very balanced.

When I asked him what he did to get that way, he blushed and basically told me it was genetic. I'm sure he watched what he ate, although some of his advice was dubious (no carbs, I think), but he did no extra exercise outside of his job.

I get that you'd want to pay somebody who is effective, but I'd suggest that you look at their clients results and not their own.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    GENERALLY the trainers that are in the best shape are some of the worst trainers. GENERALLY they are the people that say, "Hey, I'm in great shape. I bet I could get people to pay me to train them."

A lot of the top trainers are actually not in great shape.

1. They are more concerned about getting their clients in great shape, opposed to themselves.
    2. They are too busy training clients to food prep and workout daily.

Look at the trainer's clients, not themselves.
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    A personal trainer that's overweight might have been larger to start with, and has made substantial improvements since they started on their fitness journey.

If I was thinking about getting a personal trainer, I would want to see their qualifications, and also make sure that their coaching style worked for me. I would not tolerate being yelled at like some fitness coaches do on TV. Also, I would not want a program that involves heavy overhead lifting, as I know too many women that injured their shoulders doing that, and to me, any benefit that might come from heavy overhead lifting isn't worth the risks.