How did your S/O propose?

Options

Replies

• kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Also fairly recent. My SO came to my parent's house to ask permission while I was out of the country on a trip. Inadvertently with excitement and people talking, I was told about my engagement before it happened. When/where/how/etc. I was quite pissed as it was pretty perfect for the two of us. With a lot of hesitation, I told him I knew about it. I knew that lying and not being "surprised" enough would make him more upset. So he agreed that sometime between that moment and the next 5 years, he would propose (oh geez. thanks) It became a bit of a running joke with fake-me out proposals. He said it would be when I least expected it.

He actually proposed after a home-cooked "fancy" dinner we made (I burnt it). It was supposed to be our postponed Valentine's dinner but just about a thousand different things went wrong and I had been having one awful day. So after dinner he asked me to stand up and twirl around to show him my new outfit (I had gotten it for the fancy place we were supposed to go). When I finished twirling around like an idiot he was on one knee. Still perfect.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I am the one that proposed so...

I got a year end bonus that I completely neglected to mention. Early on in our relationship, well ahead of ANY ring giving opportunity I found out my wife's (then girlfriend) ring size...

My Birthday was coming up and my girlfriend was taking me out somewhere nice and I was fairly certain that we'd be coming home from Dinner to a surprise party so I had as offhandedly as possible mention that I wanted to go out for dinner on friday to that Tapas restaurant we liked.

We were seated and I started talking about how tomorrow was my birthday and the best present I could ever have (at this point I stood up out of my seat and got down on one knee) is if she would spend the rest of my life with me as my wife.

When my wife (then girlfriend) stopped crying, we were engaged :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

I remember that the table full of drunk, presumably single women, all out for sangrias after work, were still crying when the waiter brought out champaign, the "married frogs" candelabra and got the whole restaurant to sing for us (and I told the restaurant nothing ahead of time).

We've been married for 11 years and we've gone back for maybe 7 of our anniversaries and a bunch of other times just because the food is so effing good.
  • araromi2
    araromi2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It was a hot summer August afternoon. I am a teacher and don’t work in the summer and spend most summer days running errands for friends and family. I had been running all over town for my sister who was very pregnant and really bossy. I was hot tired and already irritable, but I was looking forward to spending the evening with my boyfriend. I got to the house and he told me he was going out. At this point I am beyond angry. I lived in PA and drove to Jersey just to see him and he said he was going out with “the boys” ,so I said whatever, went into the bedroom, 2 minutes later,he said I forgot something…and I said SO….and he got down on one knee and said “I don’t want you to just marry me but I want you to spend the rest of your life with me. Will you marry me? I was shocked. I knew he was going to ask…but he caught me by surprise.
  • xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    We had already had our first son, we were at his grandparents house and they had been bugging us for months to get married. Hubby looked at me and said "So, you want to?" :ohwell: I said yes (Obviously) but after we had been married for 3 years he knew his proposal wasn't really done in a romantic way, so he bought me a new ring, brought it home and got down on one knee and re-asked (surprise). Imo he took the safe way out .. at that point what else could I say, No? hahahahaha jk jk it was very sweet and I actually cried. :flowerforyou:
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I had been (sort of) jokingly proposing to my husband for a couple months. He would just smile and ask me where his ring was.

One week at my job, he sent me flowers 5 days in a row. On Friday he picked me up early and took me to a surprise couple's massage. After that we were hanging out at home and he whipped out the ring and in mid sentence said "but....will you marry me?" My brain stopped working, but I think I eventually said yes. Later that night we went out for a fancy smancy dinner to celebrate. The next day we went to a make-your-own pottery place, and made coffee mugs with our engagement date on them. AND, he took me to a Planetarium so I could see the star he had named for me.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Simple we were talking in front of my computer at my moms house on christmas day, I went to sit on his lap he sang for me mind you he doesnt sing anyways he asks me causaully in our conversation as he is getting the ring from his pocket will you marry me,i was taken off gaurd so much I it toook me moment to anwser didnt know if he was serious, anyways thats it sweet and simple and our wedding was simple to ,I found out 3 days ;later I was pregnant with our first daughter and June 25 2011 we were wed and I found out I was pregnant with our second daughter a month later kinda funny .Oh and a little bit before we got married he bought me a another ring the one he proposed with was just for the time being,he went to my uncle who has a been a jeweler for 20 plus years my uncle made my ring and designed it just the way I wanted it .

I have know my sweetie for 11 yrs now and we dated in highschool he is my sweetheart and I couldnt imagine spending my life with anyone else.
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    We were on our first vacation cruise, the Norwegian Epic and my husband set it up with the cruise director for us to play the Newly Wed Game.. We went through the game with the rest of the contestants, but for the final "bonus question" it was my husband and I... They told me to look up on the screen to see the question and it said " Jennifer will you marry me"; look at my husband who is now on his knee with the ring out and I burst into tears... He did such a great job planning and setting it up... We also have it on DVD... LOL...
  • mleech77
    mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm quite proud of how I proposed so I'll throw that out here. My now wife knows that one of my biggest passions is scuba diving, and even though she occasionally has ear problems she decided to get certified so we could share the experience together. After doing all her pool work and her book work locally we joined my dive shop for a trip down to the Bahamas where she could do her open water check out dives in the warmth of the Caribbean.

I decided I wanted to combine the two things I love most in this world and propose to her while on the trip. I talked it over with the dive shop as well as the operators down in the Bahamas. She has always said she wanted a memorable proposal story to tell her friends, so I wanted to get it on video or at least pictures. How to do that where it wasn't obvious was the problem though. The operators at Stuart Cove's came up with the perfect solution. During the shark feeding dive they have videographers and photographers down with the group to document it. The difficulty though would be convincing her to actually do the dive since it was an add-on, and well. . . there were sharks that were being fed.

I came up with a story (ok lie) where it was going to be a pain for them to have to shuttle her back to the shore between dives because they couldn't leave her on the boat during the feeding dive. Thankfully she bought it. After the feeding, but before they turned us loose to look for sharks teeth that had come loose during the frenzy the divemaster signaled me, and the videographer and photographer came in close. We were already on our knees, so I removed her dive glove, pulled out my dive slate that had "will you marry me" written on it, and pulled out the engagement ring that I had stored in my thigh pouch.

After the shock of it wore off, she realized that she could shake her head yes in approval and thankfully did. When we got back up to the boat she was grinning ear to ear, and all the rest of our group was congratulating her.

This is the video the dive shop gave us: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvfm9TUB14c
  • samischell
    samischell Posts: 40
    Options
    Since he is "super" romantic he rolled over to look at me one evening after nokie and said " so umm you wanna go to the court house or something?" lol. My reply was "umm or something." We had a big church wedding and have been happily married for almost 11 yrs.:heart::smooched:
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    This thread really took off!!!! Bump for later-I wanna catch up on my romance. Thank you all for sharing your stories!
  • usflygirl55
    usflygirl55 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    This is the video the dive shop gave us: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvfm9TUB14c

That video is so neat!
  • chandy2809
    chandy2809 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It was our anniversary last week and we were in Portugal! i had been dropping hints and he said it would be when i least expected it. not valentines/Xmas/Birthdays/New Years/Anniversary and so on! Before we left for Portugal he said that my present hadnt arrivied. being a joker i thought he was winding me up but as the day went on i realised he wasnt...he said well the i wanted to get the cheaper version of it so its taking its time coming. that annoyed me! Anyway we went for a walk along the beach and he dropped to one knee....and diid his shoes up, then a bit later dropped to one knee.....he thought he saw a coin. (all the time he was trying not to laugh, he was intent on winding me up!) he then 'found a massive shell' on the beach and said wow look at this shell...there is something in it. it was stuffed with tissue and i told him not to pull it out it may be something nasty. He then pulled out the tissue from the shell, went on one knee and said...i didnt forget your anniversary prsesnt, will you marry me!? I cried and said yes!!!! what i didnt know was that he had been carrying the ring in the shell in his pocket all day...i wondered wy he kept asking to go to the beach hehe!
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    We were tearing down wallpaper in our "new" (to us) house, and when we got done for the day, we laid on the floor, exhausted from the work. We talked about the day, the house, and our hopes and dreams....(we're cute like that). After a while, I got up to get ready to leave and put my hoodie on, and turned around and he was up on one knee...

He grabbed my hand and told me how much I meant to him and how he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me and asked me to marry him <3<3<3

Even though I hadn't showered that day and was covered in wallpaper rippings, I said YES! :):)
  • tuathanari
    tuathanari Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    At disney world. We went to dinner at cinderella's castle, and after dinner the waiter brought out what was supposed to be a platter with their dessert selections so we could pick out what we wanted. Instead there was a glass slipper with rose petals and the ring inside. Apparently I didn't even let him ask before I said yes. :)

Totally cheesy, but my second best memory, behind saying "I do" at the ceremony. :)

Edit: Also I was at my highest weight to date and had the greasiest hair in the universe that day. Just makes it all the better, because it just goes to show he loves me and thinks I'm beautiful regardless!
  • chandy2809
    chandy2809 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    At disney world. We went to dinner at cinderella's castle, and after dinner the waiter brought out what was supposed to be a platter with their dessert selections so we could pick out what we wanted. Instead there was a glass slipper with rose petals and the ring inside. Apparently I didn't even let him ask before I said yes. :)

Totally cheesy, but my second best memory, behind saying "I do" at the ceremony. :)

Edit: Also I was at my highest weight to date and had the greasiest hair in the universe that day. Just makes it all the better, because it just goes to show he loves me and thinks I'm beautiful regardless!

awww thats so cute! my Finacé *still super excited to say that, been just over a week lol* wont ever go to Disney :-(
  • KellysDiet78
    Options
    Haha - I love that !!!
  • KellysDiet78
    Options
    Mine was on Valentines day.. it was exactly 7 years to the day he first told me he loved me :-) We both finished work really late, but I still set the table for a nice romantic dinner. Our 4 year old wouldnt go to bed, so we let her sit up with us .. He gave me my card and it said "To my Fiancee" I was suprised and then opened it and he'd wrote , "will you marry me?" ... he got on one knee and whilst I was in shock our 4 year old girl was jumping up and down screaming ... it was perfect.. the 3 of us, in our home .. we are now getting married in 3 months.... whoop whoop
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Being in a same-sex marriage, my partner and I had a (joke) agreement that as she's having the babies, it'd be my job to propose, but she beat me to it.

She knows I've had a long-standing relationship with the Killers song 'Brightside' and the only time I ever got to see it live was at the very front row at a festival. HUGE crowd, great atmosphere, the best time to ever hear your favourite song. Well, it would've been, had my ex not pulled me away and made me go home. Never got over not having seen that song, and it's been 'my' song, like for so many others, the one that follows you through happy and sad times.

So, when I was at the same festival a couple of years later (after many unsuccessful attempts at getting tickets after the first, failed year), it happened. The Killers were warming up. My girlfriend went missing for five minutes and came back looking nervous. The last song, Mr Brightside, started playing, and she got down on one knee, in the mud, in front of thousands of people, and asked me.

I also 'asked her back'. Her favourite song is ''99 red balloons' and when we first got together, my way of telling her I loved her was to put 99 red balloons in her room, with a numbered tag on each one saying 'I love you'. She had always joked with me that she panicked a little because she thought I was proposing way too soon, but at the same time I'd spoiled the most perfect way I could've ever proposed to her. SO. I made a 'miniature' version of her room at the time (yes, like the miniature killer from CSI lol), complete with the 99 red balloons and the ring on the bed, put it in a box with a note on the front saying 'I couldn't do 99 red balloons again, but here's a little reminder of the first time.'
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    On the side of a mountain in switzerland. I was 17 and already knew we were going to get married, so when he officially "popped the question" I kind of didn't realise this was THE moment. Good job I said yes. We sneaked away from our group of friends and hid behind a train for a lovely snog on the awe inspiring mountainside all alone. Except our friends and family happened to get on the train, and were banging on the windows and whooping etc. Beautiful day. As I said I was 17, so I still had a lot of growing to do, so my engagemrnt ring didn't fit me for long! But I have great pleasure in being able to wear it again, it fits perfectly! We have now been married almost 12 years.
  • lovekoko320
    lovekoko320 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My fiancee actually listened to what I wanted, which was somewhat surprising because he always joked that he'd propose in the exact opposite way I wanted. I'm a private, quiet, no flash kind of person. It has come up in conversation that I don't want it to be public. Just something at home and intimate. He is in the military and goes overseas for months at a time and he always messes with me when he comes home and all the gf/wives etc are meeting them at the airport. He will greet me and he will hug me of course etc but then he'll get on one knee.....then tie his shoe LMAO.

So when he woke me up at 5AM a couple weeks ago begging for me to make him breakfast, before he had to go to the base I wasn't all too happy. I grudgingly made him breakfast and when I came back into the room he had the ring on the pillow and asked me. It was perfect :)