Overweight personal trainers

Options

Replies

• SoulReckoning
    SoulReckoning Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    In general, I don't believe it is okay for PTs to be overweight in an unhealthy way. There are going to be exceptions to every rule, such as they are still losing fat or have extra skin from a large weight loss, coming back from having a baby or having had a personal injury that could have kept them from training for a long period of time, or they personally prefer body building style training so they have a lot more muscle and are therefore "overweight". But in general, a PT should be healthy, fit, lean, and living the lifestyle they expect their clients to live in regards to food, drink, and consistency on a diet and exercise plan. They don't have to be 7%-male or 14%-female body fat, but they shouldn't be just relying the fact they are "skinny fat" or just naturally slim without actual weight & cardio training either.

I had a PT once. She was "skinny fat" in the sense that she wasn't visually fat. However, I could tell she didn't work out much herself because she said she'd been a PT for 3 years, she's pretty much stayed the same weight, but she didn't have much muscle in her arms, and she had a muffin top. Even though she was a petite girl, it was obvious she wasn't "in shape." She even tried to sell me off label thermogenics. It was the biggest waste of money I ever spent, the training that is, I didn't go for the pills. We had 5am sessions. Nine times out of ten, she would be just rolling in from a night out on the town. She talked the whole session about her personal life instead of talking to me about food and nutrition, and proper form, and what we were trying to accomplish. I was paying for her time and knowledge, not to be the vomit bag for her personal life and problems. I mean, yeah, you want to get to know your PT on a personal level, I think it helps with the synergy of the sessions. However, there has to be a line. I never spoke to anyone about it but I always regret that and I wish I would have.

I think if I ever hired a trainer again from a gym, I would talk to a manager about what I expect out of a personal trainer and what I would like to accomplish and ask them to match me up with someone they think I would be compatible with. I think the first session would be spent doing assessments, talking about the program, and just getting to know each other. If I was hiring a PT working on their own, I would definitely formulate some questions and do a phone interview to see if we were compatible, then again spend the whole first session discussing and assessing MY personalized program.

And in either case, I would not accept a trainer who is overweight or unfit because of body fat. Call it shallow or judging a book by it's cover or whatever. I am the type of person that when sets their minds to something, is all in all the time. If I'm paying such an exorbitant amount for personalized training, I want someone who lives this stuff too.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Definitely fair. I feel the same way. If you as a PT have no self control and discipline, how can you be charging money to teach people that?

Indeed. Then again, personal trainers teach neither.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    And in either case, I would not accept a trainer who is overweight or unfit because of body fat. Call it shallow or judging a book by it's cover or whatever. I am the type of person that when sets their minds to something, is all in all the time. If I'm paying such an exorbitant amount for personalized training, I want someone who lives this stuff too.

So you're a +1 for the group who would NOT train with Mark Rippetoe?

Excellent. More chances for me to get some time in with him.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Makes no difference to me, as long as they know what they're talking about and can demonstarte proper form etc to me. I've used a few different trainers at my gym, one was very overweight and lost seven stone. He's still chubby now but I didn't care. The only problem was he didn't have a clue what he was on about- he told me women shouldn't lift weights becauue they'll get bulky- which is why I won't use him again. I would like to train as a PT but I'm never going to have the stereotypical "perfect" body you see on so many PTs.
  • CalynZeigs
    CalynZeigs Posts: 34
    Options
    I was reading this article- http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/health/body/head-to-toe/fat-but-fit/ today on my tablet, and it made me think of this thread. The article is called, can you be fat but fit.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I would never hire someone as any type of coach that doesn't have a decent fitness level. I am pretty anal about it I gues becuase even with my kids football team - we are talking 9-11 year olds - I hated seeing overweight coaches screaming at the kids to run.

I truly believe kids learn more from watching than listening in that regard.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    To be 100% honest and tell the the truth - even when it's an ugly truth - I'm going to say what I DO and not what I should do.

To me, if I'm going PAY you to coach me in how I workout and eat, I want to see that YOU are also able to do it. I think as a trainer you're also sort of selling yourself, you know? I feel like if even you can't do it, a certified trainer - than how the heck can I?

Fair? Maybe not. I realize that they may also be out of shape and still have the knowledge I need - but again, I'm being honest about what I actually do, not what I should do.

But I'm all about results based fitness.

I love the honesty. And feel the same way. I wouldn't go to a hair dresser with bad hair or dentist with bad teeth. Just being honest. :-/
    Hairdressers don't cut their own hair; dentists could have had poor oral hygiene as teenagers, before making a career choice. Similarly, a PT could have recently had an injury or medical condition that changed that PT's routine, and hence body appearance.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Professional coaches are not trainers. They're not there to teach the players how to get in shape and work out. They're there to determine, teach, and implement team and player strategy and make gametime decisions.

That said, I have no problem with an overweight coach. How fat you are has nothing whatsoever to do with how well you can organize and conduct, for instance, a hockey team.

However, I would not trust or go to a personal trainer who is not in shape.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Professional coaches are not trainers. They're not there to teach the players how to get in shape and work out. They're there to determine, teach, and implement team and player strategy and make gametime decisions.

I think the inference is coach as in "Strength and Conditioning Coach" or "Performance Coach". You are describing a different kind of coach there.....
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I think the inference is coach as in "Strength and Conditioning Coach" or "Performance Coach". You are describing a different kind of coach there.....

Reread the OP:
    "Then I had another thought, there seem to be a number of professional coaches who are overweight/obese, at least the ones that I have seen on tv - however that is quite a small number and prob mainly rugby orientated (I live in NZ) as I don't watch sport on tv so only catch it on the news occasionally."

She is talking about the professional coaches she sees on TV. Those are head coaches and coordinators, not the strength and conditioning coaches that work in the weight room with the athletes.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Reread the OP:
    "Then I had another thought, there seem to be a number of professional coaches who are overweight/obese, at least the ones that I have seen on tv - however that is quite a small number and prob mainly rugby orientated (I live in NZ) as I don't watch sport on tv so only catch it on the news occasionally."

She is talking about the professional coaches she sees on TV. Those are head coaches and coordinators, not the strength and conditioning coaches that work in the weight room with the athletes.

Sure, but she doesn't really seem to know what she wants to say..... 'I don't really watch sports......' etc.

I think we can move the discussion on and talk about an overweight coach (as in the kind of coach I'm talking about) as well as personal trainers......
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    There most likely is personal trainers who are overweight, however, they wont get many clients.
    Half the goal with that kind of profession is to look the part.
    Why would you pay an overweight person to make you fit?
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I switched from a ladies-only gym to a co-ed gym...one of the reasons was that in the year that I'd spent there, ALL of the personal trainers were clearly overweight (rolls upon rolls and large double chins) and in no shape whatsoever.

This was made clear when their clients would ask them to demonstrate the exercises they wanted them to perform, and the trainers refused to do so. Every time.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    three words,...

proof beyond credentials
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    A lot of people look at overweight people and think they aren't healthy and that's not always the case. A lot of overweight people are healthy and not only that, but fit. Just because someone is skinny it doesn't mean they are healthy or fit. A lot of skinny people eat a lot of junk food and would rather have the junk food over healthy food or should I say healthy eating, because you can make what seems to be bad, be a healthy choice. Being skinny doesn't mean being fit. Plus, just because someone is skinny, it doesn't mean they aren't overweight. A trainer can look skinny and be 180 pounds and her clients wouldn't know that if she didn't tell them that. But, according to the Height/Weight chart (which I don't follow), she could be classified as being overweight.

My goal one day is to be a personal trainer. According to my doctor at one time and the height/weight chart, I am supposed to be 101 pounds, but I will never get that skinny. I'm aiming for an overweight goal, but I will look thin to my clients.

If the overweight personal trainer knows what they are doing, then yes, I would have workout with one.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    My goal one day is to be a personal trainer. According to my doctor at one time and the height/weight chart, I am supposed to be 101 pounds, but I will never get that skinny. I'm aiming for an overweight goal, but I will look thin to my clients.

Are you 4'5.5"? Because only at that height and shorter is 102+ overweight.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have to say that if I were to choose a personal trainer at this point in my journey I would likely gravitate to someone who looked slightly overweight, and was my age or older. I would be very uncomfortable with a 20-year-old male with great big muscles measuring my fat with one of those pincher things. Frankly, one reason I have never considered a personal trainer is because I figured they were all totally fit, and that they would make me uncomfortable. The other reason is that I don't really like to have people tell me what to do, but that's a whole other issue.
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    No ifs about it.
    If my pt was overweight I would feel it was a bit hypocritical.

I joined a slimming world class and the mentor was over weight by at least three St, I dont understand how it is possible for her to give advise?

I know this sounds really harsh but its my opinion. Its like teaching Maths but failing your degree in it.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Usually I find the most educated people on nutrition and weight training etc etc, are the people who don't partake in it themselves and are just teachers/trainers.

90% of Personal Trainers are clueless and want you to go on a treadmill, eat un-sustainable diets and sit in weightlifting MACHINES and avoid free weights.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    To be 100% honest and tell the the truth - even when it's an ugly truth - I'm going to say what I DO and not what I should do.

To me, if I'm going PAY you to coach me in how I workout and eat, I want to see that YOU are also able to do it. I think as a trainer you're also sort of selling yourself, you know? I feel like if even you can't do it, a certified trainer - than how the heck can I?

Fair? Maybe not. I realize that they may also be out of shape and still have the knowledge I need - but again, I'm being honest about what I actually do, not what I should do.

But I'm all about results based fitness.

fair.

Medhi (Stronglifts dude) is always going on about training with someone that's accomplished. You want to get where they are, and they are they've lived it...