confronted girl-mcdonalds-ceo we-dont-sell-junk-food

Options

Replies

• rshcraig
    rshcraig Posts: 53
    Options
    So, I've quietly watched several "I hate McDonalds" post and wondered if I should say anything but I think now is the time. Wait for it... drum rolls....

I work at McDonald's. 4 1/2 years there, I'm a manager and I think I've seen a good bit.

In 4 1/2 years, I've seen McDonald's try desperately to conform to the standards of you haters... and seen that very few other restaurants go to the same strides. I've been cussed out but customers - adults - who did not like our happy meal options. We are trained to ask all customers who order a happy meal if they want chocolate milk... and while we try, the stupid look customers give us for asking if their child would like anything besides a soda is too much for many and its a practice thats given up. I was there when our happy meals had the option of fries or apples, and again the look like we are stupid for asking. Then we went to smaller fries and apples in all happy meals, and the rage we have gotten over the tiny fries is crazy. I literally have at least one or two customers a day asking if they can get their child a happy meal with a medium or large fry and then watch the get frustrated or angry when they can't. But it's McDonald's fault that their kids have to eat healthy portions, right?

I've also seen the addition of healthier menu items. Sure, they are not the BEST items, but McDonald's hears your cries of anger and listens, unlike the other customers who hate us for listening to you. I eat McDonald's 5 days a week cause its free when I work. I have already lost 10lbs on this diet and I dieted 3 years ago and lost 45lbs. I eat a good filling meal (usually different every day) that is under 500 calories. Its about choices.

As for parents, I have been there when these crazy people yelled at us for not serving their "babies" chicken nuggets at 7am. I have been there when parents are banging on the window at midnight after we have closed because their children are 'starving' and need us to cook them food. I've been cussed out when we don't have a new toy because their child already has THREE of this one that we just came out with the day before.

It's not the company's fault people and children especially are overweight. Obesity is caused by the same problem that the rest of the next generation's problems are coming from - society teaching our children they are entitled to anything that want, ever and that the latest electronics are more important than a shiny bicycle and helmet, or a basketball or soccer ball or jump rope. Maybe we can blame everything on Apple or Samsung or Cartoon Network? Sounds ridiculous doesnt it? I hope it does to you because it is ridiculous that we blame any company on bad choices just because they sell a product that people like more than exercise.
  • itsasecret22
    itsasecret22 Posts: 121
    Options
    Is it McDonalds fault if I get in my car, drive there, order my two year old chicken nuggess, and feed it to him? Absolutely not. Parents need to learn to tell their kids no and stop blaming others for their bad parenting skills. McDonalds is a once in awhile treat for us and my little boy would rather have apple slices than french fries...!
  • itsasecret22
    Options
    I do however wish there wasn't an extra charge for apple juice over soda, that part is slightly annoying... lol.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    So, I've quietly watched several "I hate McDonalds" post and wondered if I should say anything but I think now is the time. Wait for it... drum rolls....

I work at McDonald's. 4 1/2 years there, I'm a manager and I think I've seen a good bit.

In 4 1/2 years, I've seen McDonald's try desperately to conform to the standards of you haters... and seen that very few other restaurants go to the same strides. I've been cussed out but customers - adults - who did not like our happy meal options. We are trained to ask all customers who order a happy meal if they want chocolate milk... and while we try, the stupid look customers give us for asking if their child would like anything besides a soda is too much for many and its a practice thats given up. I was there when our happy meals had the option of fries or apples, and again the look like we are stupid for asking. Then we went to smaller fries and apples in all happy meals, and the rage we have gotten over the tiny fries is crazy. I literally have at least one or two customers a day asking if they can get their child a happy meal with a medium or large fry and then watch the get frustrated or angry when they can't. But it's McDonald's fault that their kids have to eat healthy portions, right?

I've also seen the addition of healthier menu items. Sure, they are not the BEST items, but McDonald's hears your cries of anger and listens, unlike the other customers who hate us for listening to you. I eat McDonald's 5 days a week cause its free when I work. I have already lost 10lbs on this diet and I dieted 3 years ago and lost 45lbs. I eat a good filling meal (usually different every day) that is under 500 calories. Its about choices.

As for parents, I have been there when these crazy people yelled at us for not serving their "babies" chicken nuggets at 7am. I have been there when parents are banging on the window at midnight after we have closed because their children are 'starving' and need us to cook them food. I've been cussed out when we don't have a new toy because their child already has THREE of this one that we just came out with the day before.

It's not the company's fault people and children especially are overweight. Obesity is caused by the same problem that the rest of the next generation's problems are coming from - society teaching our children they are entitled to anything that want, ever and that the latest electronics are more important than a shiny bicycle and helmet, or a basketball or soccer ball or jump rope. Maybe we can blame everything on Apple or Samsung or Cartoon Network? Sounds ridiculous doesnt it? I hope it does to you because it is ridiculous that we blame any company on bad choices just because they sell a product that people like more than exercise.
    :drinker: Well written. It's good to hear an "inside" perspective sometimes. I worked at McDonalds for 3 years during high school and didn't gain any weight while working there and eating the food because, while not counting calories, I chose small portions, and I was active in colorguard. It's about each person doing what's best for themselves and taking their health on as their own responsibility, not that of specific companies.
  • itsasecret22
    Options
    I wish I had time to read all the posts, but in the first page I didn't see anyone who held my opinion. So here goes...
    It's a fairly local story for me... so there was news coverage etc. What I got from this was that they were asking McDonald's to not market to kids. Yes, it was about offering healthy alternatives, but it's the addition of a toy in the kids meal that was the problem. Kids can wear you down... they want want want, need need need all the stuff that advertisers tell them they need and sometimes as a parent we could use a little help... you know... "It takes a village" and all that.

I guess that all depends on how you raise your child. My daughter knows that advertisers lie, she can't have everything she wants, junk food is ok every once in a while, and most importantly, I'm the mother and I make the decisions.
    YES! My word is law... lol. I drive by McDonalds every day almost and my son says "mom chicket nuggets!" and I say "not today!" and just keep driving. Does he keep begging? Nope. He's only two but he knows when mom says no, she means it.
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    McD's still sells less than high quality food for 2 reasons: 1) It's cheap and easy to make 2) People buy it. These are the same reasons why cigarettes are still being sold. Over 20 years ago McD's experimented with a better menu and a sit down restaurant experience. Nobody came. I give credit to McD's because they have put calorie counts on their menus and they are slowly making improvements that the purchasing public will accept and buy. They are by far not the worst offender but they are the biggest target. Applebee's, TGIFridays, and plenty of other both full and fast service restaurants have MUCH worse food on their menus and refuse to make the nutritional content known.
    To echo many others: If you don't like it, vote with your dollars and don't buy it. Nothing encourages a company to change more than shrinking revenue.
  • itsasecret22
    Options
    And you can totally do it! I lost around 45 pounds during the time I worked at jack in the box by making the right choices and running all over the place making everyones food! Fast food restaurant work is very high paced and burns lots of calories! lol
  • frommetobetterme
    frommetobetterme Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I wish I had time to read all the posts, but in the first page I didn't see anyone who held my opinion. So here goes...
    It's a fairly local story for me... so there was news coverage etc. What I got from this was that they were asking McDonald's to not market to kids. Yes, it was about offering healthy alternatives, but it's the addition of a toy in the kids meal that was the problem. Kids can wear you down... they want want want, need need need all the stuff that advertisers tell them they need and sometimes as a parent we could use a little help... you know... "It takes a village" and all that.

Yes sometimes it's hard to go against the nagging of children, so you go because they want the toy. But how do children know mcdonalds come with toys? Because you bring them there. My children watch tv that has no commercials( In Canada, children programming cannot have commercials).

We sometimes go because they want to play/have a toy, but then they still get to learn on what foods to CHOOSE. And if they make an unhealthy choice, then I tell them why they SHOULD choose something better, but then leave the choice to them because every other day of the week they eat well. (we go maybe once or twice a month).

And sometimes we go, and we make them split an adult meal, so no toys, and sometimes it's the Walmart McD, so they don't get to play.

Yes kids can wear you down to go, it doesn't mean you can't teach them and have healthy meals once you're in the door.
  • Queen8shaq
    Queen8shaq Posts: 46
    Options
    I have never taken my kids to mcdonald's. I also don't let them smoke. I personally don't see the difference.

It is junk food. How is it NOT junk food?

I bet they're eating mcnuggets and smoking a pack a day behind your back.

HA! This seriously made my day.
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize saying no was so tough, so they prob should ban happy meals and toys
    [/quote]

Not that I want to get into THIS can of worms with you... but it feels like you might be judging my parenting. As the mom of 3 kids within 3 years (twins) a full time job, a part time job and a husband who typically worked out of town 250 days per year, I have to admit that yes, it was hard to say no. When they're hungry and tired and I'm hungry and tired and there's the toy she has always wanted (for all of erh 5 years)... I know it's 20 minutes to home, another 30 until dinner is on the table and I still have another job to do.... The brightly coloured signs, the radio commercials in the car and the fact that 'everyone else does it' do in fact make it really hard to say no. I did stop making the kids meal an option though and guess what? The fascination with McD's ended.

And to the other poster who said her kids know that advertisers lie, well YAY. I know my kids knew that too... but at the age we're talking about they. didn't. care.
  • frommetobetterme
    frommetobetterme Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I did stop making the kids meal an option though and guess what? The fascination with McD's ended.

And that's the whole point that a lot of people are making. It's about choice. Yes, I agree with you that them offering toys doesn't help us, but they're a company whose goal like the vast majority of companies is to make money, and we have a choice.

If you want to publicly attack a company for this kind of behaviour, you also need to attach every sugary cereal company, candy makers, sit down restaurants that have toys to occupy the kids, etc. Where does it end?

I don't think it's wrong to ask a company to make changes for the better, I think it's wrong to blame a company for the worlds problems when people have a choice whether or not to eat that food. You could just as easily picked up a rotissery chicken at a grocery store, it's a choice. Not judging your parenting, as I've done it too, I'm just pointing out that there are other options. What would you have done if McDonald's wasn't there... you probably would have gone to another fast food place that doesn't have fruit and other healthier options, or find other ways to get food on the table.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Is it just me, or is there a bit of irony involved with using a 9 year old hand puppet to complain that McDonalds is using advertising to kids to make parents bring the kids in to McDonalds?

Complain about using kids by using kids.

You made me laugh!!! THANKS!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    McD sells junk food and markets to children. Makes them one of many. Doesn't mean parents have to stuff their kids full of crap. Just means a lot of parents will stuff their kids with crap. It's currently "normal" to do so.

Only impact on the individual is societal costs of obesity. Which happen to be ridiculously high. But whatever.
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Very well said
    and having worked in retail for 20 years I totally understand.
  • carchie94
    carchie94 Posts: 45
    Options
    This thread makes me want to get two large fries and a fil-a-fish.

God, I'm hungry. I feel like finishing off the pack of cigs I have in front of me, too. :smokin: :devil:

Maybe after I finish my insanity work out of the day.
  • gabbylab
    gabbylab Posts: 146
    Options

:drinker: Well written. It's good to hear an "inside" perspective sometimes. I worked at McDonalds for 3 years during high school and didn't gain any weight while working there and eating the food because, while not counting calories, I chose small portions, and I was active in colorguard. It's about each person doing what's best for themselves and taking their health on as their own responsibility, not that of specific companies.

Ditto on the well written!! And just to echo, my daughter has worked at Sonic for close to 3 years now. She struggled her first year, and first year of college with her weight (freshman 15?) but has since lost the extra lbs and is quite successful at grabbing convenient fast food and keeping it off.
  • gabbylab
    gabbylab Posts: 146
    Options
    This thread makes me want to get two large fries and a fil-a-fish.

God, I'm hungry. I feel like finishing off the pack of cigs I have in front of me, too. :smokin: :devil:

Maybe after I finish my insanity work out of the day.

No kidding, right? I've been thinking about a double quarter pounder with cheese all afternoon. And I haven't had one in well over a year.
  • marthajo1
    marthajo1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. People are fat because they are lazy. Not because of McDonalds. If you don't like it, don't eat there but don't blame them for the obesity epidemic. Take responsibility for your own actions people! I have weight to lose because I have gotten lazy at times in my life. I have eaten crap. It's UP TO ME to change it. Quit blaming soda pop and fast food for being a fatty and get off your *kitten*! EVERYTHING IN MODERATION!
  • marthajo1
    marthajo1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Oh and as a parent, my kids ask all the time for a happy meal. They get one once every couple of months. If you let your kids be in charge at your house and constantly buy them crap food, who is to blame? The company marketing to the kids or you for not being a PARENT? Ok. Off my soapbox.
  • faely
    faely Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have never taken my kids to mcdonald's. I also don't let them smoke. I personally don't see the difference.

It is junk food. How is it NOT junk food?

:flowerforyou:

I love this kid. She's got guts. Good for her! And of course she's "coached" by her parents - THEY'RE HER PARENTS. Kids learn from their parents and their parents' choices - good and bad.

So, despite the fact that the parents have control over the child's food and habits, it's okay to push one's agenda on a child because you think it's the right one. Should we also have 9 year olds protesting abortion and gay marriage, even though they have no concept of an alternate opinion? As long as we think it's right. ... Right?

Sorry but this is exactly what parents do. They teach their children what they themselves believe in, like religion, proper nutrition, healthy habits, right and wrong, etc. As a parent, I try to give my son options, and teach what I believe in, but also encourage him to make his own decisions. I agree that using your child to further your personal agenda is wrong. Your example, and this incident, are extremes.

I don't let my son eat at McDonald's as often as he'd like but when I do, he sometimes surprises me with his choices. He'll often choose something healthier and I believe that's because I've included him in my journey to become healthy and teaching him a healthier way.

I am on the fence about a business' responsibility to their community. Some people feel a business should be able to sell what it wants if its legal; that it's their right to sell such items. I tend to lean towards the idea that selling foods that are extremely bad for people is wrong and a business should have a better sense of judgement, and who cares if its their right. They have an obligation to encourage a safe and healthy society, imo. In other words, just because its legal doesn't make it right.

McDonald's DOES have healthy stuff too. Salad and an ice water anyone? Everything in moderation. Cheers :drinker: