Official Nightshift thread!!!

Options

Replies

• allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Best of luck kmc! I joined the site a few months ago, and just recently got really back into it. I found that being involved in the message boards and making friends is really helpful. You Want to log in, track your progress, see how others are doing! I'm on the site now as much as anything else! When I'm bored at work I'm on here reading constantly!
  • leanmass24
    leanmass24 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have been on here constantly since i joined last week. It is addicting. Well it is probably cause I have nothing better to do at work, but I do enjoy coming here. Good luck with the weight loss goals. Whatever you do just dont give up.
  • KnightOwl
    Options
    And so it has happened. I had a night off last night, and my whole diet went down the toilet. When you work the night shift, you never get to go out and have fun with your friends. So last night, I had it off so my friends naturally wanted to have a great night while I was there. We had a few drinks and ended up finding free Coldstone ice cream. I ended up racking up over 2400 calories yesterday from the alcohol, juice mixers and then the 500 calorie coldstone treat. How do you balance having a great time with your friends and still be on a diet?!! Once again the night shift has ruined my diet... this time not by working at night, but but working so many nights that I get deprived of a normal night life! Just needed to rant about my complete lack of self-control last night. I feel so awful :( How do you have a normal social life and work nights? I'm in college and everyone has class during the day and relaxes at night. Is this just a sacrifice I'm going to have to make? No social life in exchange for a job and a healthier life style? How do you make a decision like that? Am I just being silly? Any thoughts?
  • kmc3986
    kmc3986 Posts: 18
    Options
    I might be wrong (maybe that's why I'm on this website), but I don''t think you should feel awful about last night. You had fun with your friends, didn't you? I'm sure you don't do this 5 nights a week. The way I look at is if I can do this 95% of the time, than that's 90% more than I did before. I feel you need to embrace good times. I also know that I have to commit to this lifestyle the majority of the time. Good luck to you. You'll do great.
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Knight, Do NOT feel bad... You don't want to start punishing yourself every time you go out...Unfortunately there is somewhat of a sacrifice when it comes to working night shift, but I've tried to look at it from different angles. I'm young and heck yes I love to go out and have a good time when I can. Honestly the worst nights for me are Fri and Sat, since that's when most of my friends go out. Also, I have to work every other weekend, so over the past 3 years I've been on nights I've missed out on going out a fair amount. On the flip side I think... I have great job security, b/c who seriously WANTS to work overnight? Next, I think about the money, and calories I'm saving by not going out to bars, out to eat, the movies, etc.. All this said, you can still have a life. Many a time I've met up with friends for dinner, with my scrubs in my car and gone straight to work if things ran late. I love ice hockey, and, even though I don't like to do this, if it's a game I desperately want to go to and I have to work, I'll go and leave early to catch the train back, or I could drive myself and get to work on time. It's a tough adjustment, and I've been where you are, but believe me there is a way to balance life with night shift :flowerforyou:
  • mom2boyzinaz
    Options
    ok have not worked out since Saturday, I usually take off Sunday, havn't been feeling all that great either. Besides that fact that I have to work 7 days this week 12hrs and only on my 6th day with one more to go. I have been struggling with my food for the last few weeks. I just dont know what to do. I guess i shoud finish off my long work week and hope I feel better soon and try to get my excecise back in and work on the food.
  • leanmass24
    Options
    Yeah you just need to get back into the routine as soon as you can, Try not to make excuses not to go to the gym. I try to make excuses to go to the gym. I feel alot better usually after i go to the gym so that is the one that I use most often. I work 12hr shift two but I work a 3-2-2-3 schedule. they are thinking about going to 7on 7off... i sure hope they dont cause that will be hell for me and trying to get everything done i need to do along with cook and exercise... grrrr
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Knight....I have an off day every weekend...it happens...as long as its not ALL the time!

Then again...I'm not losing...so maybe those off days are catching up to me...or maybe I am not patient enough!

It's 3am here and it feels like 90 degees...I am not used to this VA heat!!!!
  • leanmass24
    Options
    Knight....I have an off day every weekend...it happens...as long as its not ALL the time!

Then again...I'm not losing...so maybe those off days are catching up to me...or maybe I am not patient enough!

Just follow the advise in the thread you posted and you will start losing. less processed more fresh/ frozen fruits veggies and lots of water.

I know all about the heat too it probably is 90 degrees tonight and the humidity is 1000 percent as usual... cant wait to get out of louisiana....
  • lee112780
    Options

Just follow the advise in the thread you posted and you will start losing. less processed more fresh/ frozen fruits veggies and lots of water.

I know all about the heat too it probably is 90 degrees tonight and the humidity is 1000 percent as usual... cant wait to get out of louisiana....

drinking water as we speak* I find I drink a lot more if I use a straw...no idea why lol Do you drink a lot of coffee working this shift? I drink less than I used to, but I think it actually helps me eat less. Less cravings for sweets.
  • leanmass24
    Options
    I never drink coffee... except in the winter when it is cold.... I think I drank soo much coffee when I was younger it has no effect on me anymore... i can drink a cup of coffee and go to bed. If i need something to keep me awake it is a 5 hour energy... it keeps me awake and doesnt speed up my heart rate or give me jitters. Since I started working out again I find that I dont need anything to keep me awake at night... i have alot more energy.

If the straw helps, more power to ya.

I carry around 24oz camelbak bottle filled with water and refill when empty... it has an end that flips up like a straw and you have to bite down alittle and suck to get the water out. you might want to look into gettin one.... it could hlep if you are having trouble with drinking water
  • lee112780
    Options
    I never drink coffee... except in the winter when it is cold.... I think I drank soo much coffee when I was younger it has no effect on me anymore... i can drink a cup of coffee and go to bed. If i need something to keep me awake it is a 5 hour energy... it keeps me awake and doesnt speed up my heart rate or give me jitters. Since I started working out again I find that I dont need anything to keep me awake at night... i have alot more energy.

If the straw helps, more power to ya.

I carry around 24oz camelbak bottle filled with water and refill when empty... it has an end that flips up like a straw and you have to bite down alittle and suck to get the water out. you might want to look into gettin one.... it could hlep if you are having trouble with drinking water

That might be better than the plastic water bottles I keep filling. They're pretty small. I drink a lot of water, but more can't hurt I guess!
  • susanjill
    Options
    I am so happy you started this, I have been on nights for 11 years I am finding it harder to sleep and to keep the weight off.
  • lee112780
    Options
    I am so happy you started this, I have been on nights for 11 years I am finding it harder to sleep and to keep the weight off.

wow 11 yrs?? I've been on them for 3 ys...getting sick of it alreAdy!
  • leanmass24
    Options
    Your welcome, I have been on night for 4years and was on a swingshift before that so I have never had a day schedule. I hated the swing though... that really wears you down..... days then mids then nights.... ugggg

lee

It is better for the environment if you care about that sort of thing. All those empty plastic bottle end up in a lanfill somewhere. You can drink too much water though, We had someone go in for a urinalysis and drank soo much water that she passed out and had a seizure. I think there might have been some other issues going on ,but the water was the main contributer.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I go back to work next Tuesday after being off for 6 week because of surgery. I have gotten in such a bad habit of going to bed around 10 and getting up at 6 am. It is going to be a tuff couple nights getting back into staying up all night.
  • KnightOwl
    Options

It's just about 4am here in Boston and it's absolutely freezing inside the hospital. I'm wearing a sweater! Outside is really nice. I can't imagine living in that heat! I'd die haha. I hate it when it's slow here. I work in an ER! I'm supposed to be busy haha. Anyways, I got over it because I had an awesome day today. I think the problem is that I'm just spreading myself too thin. I need more balance. (Easier said than done :-p )
  • mysi019
    mysi019 Posts: 55
    Options
    I am currently on vacation, second day in and its 4:25 am and I am still awake. Ugh. On good note, my eating times havent changed since i have been on vacation. But i was really looking forward to being a "normal" person for a week. Any body else have these problems when their off for an extended amount of time. I have attempted to lie down twice and I just cant seem to fall asleep.
  • lee112780
    Options
    I am currently on vacation, second day in and its 4:25 am and I am still awake. Ugh. On good note, my eating times havent changed since i have been on vacation. But i was really looking forward to being a "normal" person for a week. Any body else have these problems when their off for an extended amount of time. I have attempted to lie down twice and I just cant seem to fall asleep.

Oh yea! Seems like the day I get on a normal sched, I have to go right back to work! Its an endlwess cycloe...I dont even try to fall asleep until 4.
  • lee112780
    Options
    Your welcome, I have been on night for 4years and was on a swingshift before that so I have never had a day schedule. I hated the swing though... that really wears you down..... days then mids then nights.... ugggg

lee

It is better for the environment if you care about that sort of thing. All those empty plastic bottle end up in a lanfill somewhere. You can drink too much water though, We had someone go in for a urinalysis and drank soo much water that she passed out and had a seizure. I think there might have been some other issues going on ,but the water was the main contributer.

yes, I care...thats why I keep filling them up over and over again :smile: Eventually, I throw them out though.