Memories of being a kid - Time flies

Options

Replies

• bmxpop
    bmxpop Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I remember taping off the radio! Aside from the DJ talking at the beginning and end of every song, there was always my mother talking to me in the background. LOL

We were taping the long version of Bye, Bye Miss American Pie at a friends house and it was perfect until right near the very end when my friend's Mom hollered up the stairs at us ..."Brian, did one of you kids step in dog s--t?"
    To this day, whenever that song comes on, my sister and I will look at each other, laugh, and ask if we had stepped in anything!!.
  • harr3mi
    harr3mi Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! My little brother and I used to walk down to the store and get these all the time. It was usually this, a pack of big league chew, some candy cigs, and some fireworks.
    Was anyone else addicted to these? I remember sneaking one into the movies in my jacket, and it exploded all over when I opened the cap...spraying the people in front of me :laugh:

onys.jpg
  • harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! My little brother and I used to walk down to the store and get these all the time. It was usually this, a pack of big league chew, some candy cigs, and some fireworks.
    Was anyone else addicted to these? I remember sneaking one into the movies in my jacket, and it exploded all over when I opened the cap...spraying the people in front of me :laugh:

onys.jpg

Can someone tell what that is? the picture is not showing up for me.

And I remember Big League Chew also.
  • harleydall76
    Options
    Oh, and another childhood memory is the 99 cent movie theater.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    Best memory was the feeling of being secure, loved for the right reason. No cares in the world.
  • agtapia09
    agtapia09 Posts: 94
    Options
    I love this thread. It makes me sad for the kids these days. There were so many adventures to go on OUTSIDE when I was a kid. I feel fortunate to have a 12 year old who does not have any interest in his playstation. Every day he gets home from school, does his chores and goes fishing. He would rather be outside than sitting inside ANY day. Makes me smile. We recently took a trip to Virginia to visit family. 10 year old nephew with a MOUNTAIN literally as his back yard, creek running at the edge of the yard line. Cows and horses everywhere and this kid spent the entire weekend going from the ipad to the xbox to the DS to the Ipod to the TV then back to the Ipad. My son looked at me and said "does he not realize how lucky he is" Made me have a proud mom moment. I agree completely with OP. UNPLUG THE KIDS!!!!!

I love this! I was born in '90 and was (still am) an only child. I lived with a working mom and two grandparents on a one acre lot just 5 miles outside of our little border town city limits. I didn't have a big family. No kids to play with next door, no cousins (they lived in Mexico), but I had pets and a wild imagination :wink:

I had many adventures in our huge backyard. The grass was green and soft, the vegetable garden was coloful and vast. I used to pretend I was riding dragons when I was actually just runnig with my dogs. I had an imaginary friend named Cynthia haha can't believe I remember that so well. I would climb trees like a monkey! Hang out with my gpa when he was in the garden. Begged my mom for a goat and when I got him, we named him Nicky. He was the best :smile: I road my first bike in the front yard and scraped up my knees and elbows but tried until I stopped falling. We would go camping for the weekend and get eaten up by mosquitos lol eat fish and beans. The lake was amazing! My family influenced me to play outdoors, do chores and eat all kinds of vegetables. That's just how they grew up. Junk food and soda did come but not until HS.

When I played inside, it was usually on my Super Nintendo. Mario Kart w/ my grandma or solo. Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island and my all time favorite, The Ledgend of Zelda A Link to the Past. Nothing comes close:heart: I would watch cartoons too. Flinstone's, Scooby-Doo Where are You, the older Looney Toons in technicolor lol oh wow, those times were awesome! My grandparent's loved the Roadrunner and Coyote! No dialouge but pure awesomeness. I used to jump from sofa to chair to avoid touching the shark filled carpet. I had a walkman that I would take with us on the drive to the San Felipe Creek and upon arrival, I would leave it in the car and swim and eat watermelon all day. That's why I got so many ear infections :tongue:

I had a very fortunate childhood that despite being an only child, was not lonley at all. I had a great imagination and a wonderful family. I hear people, all the time, say how our (my) generation sucks and we are basically the doomed generation. It hurts sometimes but I try not to take it too personal. I, myself had an awesome childhood, great teen years and so far a prospering, young adulthood. I still have my little family close by (most of them - I miss you everyday Dad) who have helped make me who I am today and have shared and shown me so much in life! I miss being a carefree kid. Technology is growing exponentially and when I think about how most kids are these days I realize how fortunate I was to have been the kid covered in mosquito bites, bruises and scrapes with a belly filled with home grown/cooked food all whilst emjoying the fresh air. :flowerforyou:
  • jlt1968
    jlt1968 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My Daughter came home from school a while back and told us about a show they watched in class when they were learning about goverment legislator. She started singing the I'm only a bill song. My wife and I were rolling because we watched shool house rock every Saterday morning.
    This is one of the best threds ever!
  • harleydall76
    Options
    Anyone remember the after school specials?
  • jlt1968
    jlt1968 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    th?id=H.4705434073498738&pid=15.1

We used to throw these over the house!
  • agtapia09
    agtapia09 Posts: 94
    Options
    My Daughter came home from school a while back and told us about a show they watched in class when they were learning about goverment legislator. She started singing the I'm only a bill song. My wife and I were rolling because we watched shool house rock every Saterday morning.
    This is one of the best threds ever!

^^^Lol now, those were cartoons.
  • Dr_Flo
    Dr_Flo Posts: 465
    Options
    300px-DuckTales_(Main_title).jpg

GiJoe_TV-Title1985.jpg

Cartoon_Tom-and-Jerry_015.jpg
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    ^^^ you forgot some :)

k.jpg

voltron_14003.jpg
  • Dr_Flo
    Options
    ice-cream-truck.jpg

The Music that made you run like the wind to get money from your parents.
    It didnt matter what you were doing.. it could wait.

No way were you gonna miss the ice cream man...

icecreamtruckmenu-e1339654248766.jpg
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    The ice cream truck reminded me of this.....the BOOKMOBILE!

bookmobile-300x224.jpg
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    How about this...Being 11-years-old and being able to walk into any store and purchase cigarettes AND beer!
    The magic words were "It's for my dad" or "My mama sent me." Never had to explain who either parent was because, and I promise you, they already knew and will have called to check before we could clear the door.
  • Dr_Flo
    Options
    MCDONALDS+POSTER.JPG
  • Dr_Flo
    Options
    cry_baby_wax_bottles4.jpg

I must have missed this one when you posted it ..

I will never forget these .. you'd get that little shot of juice and then spit out this glob of wax .. hahaha
  • Dr_Flo
    Options
    venezia-reading_rainbow_300x250._V384680554_.gif
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously loving this thread...

630173045_tp.jpg
  • Dr_Flo
    Options