WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2013

Options

Replies

• peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    patceoh, thanks so much for that link. I emailed to my brother and asked him or spouse to check out the links. Just remembered that our cousin was a Social Services worker and suggested she might have some input. I myself am just not savvy enough to figure this stuff out. I think my brain stopped at 5th grade (which I taught for almost 30 years).

I will be 65 in August and have been terrified for months trying to figure out how to connect Medicare and my health insurance correctly. Finally found a number to call and all I had to do was mail in a copy of the card to the benefits department. Anyway, I hope that is all.

We have 3 men working in our back yard to get rid of what has looked like a jungle. They have a wood chipper and are cutting down everything overgrown. I just hope DH will help keep it cleaned out after it starts to grow again.

Very warm and muggy here in Marietta. I hate cold weather and I hate hot weather. Will take Fall and Spring any time. Unfortunately, it was as if we had no Spring this year. It just went from cold to hot. I should count my blessings and quit complaining. All of the people out West have had so much to deal with. Between the floods, the fires, and the tornadoes there has been so much destruction. Those folks are in my prayers.
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    This thread is just growing so fast I can hardly keep up! :noway: Taking a rest day today. It’s so hard to do because I love having those extra calories, but sometimes you just got to give a body a break. :wink:

Cheryl – glad to see you back. You’ll take off the weight – sometimes we just need a bit of a break and then can get back to healthy eating. Your DD’s look great:bigsmile:

Michele – I must have missed your post about naked yoga. I know they have those classes…are you going to try one out? :laugh:

Meg – LOL loved the naked cat chasing story:laugh: :laugh:

NewLuna – there are lots of cookbooks and on-line recipes that are lighter versions of your favorite comfort foods. (Bobby Deen, Cooking Light, Eat This Not That Comfort Food, Ellie Kreiger – check out some from the library and see what you like) I love my ice cream so now buy the light or slow churned versions. I measure it out on my kitchen scale so I stick to the 120 calories and then slowly savor each bite.:drinker:

Vicki – so sorry about your fur baby:brokenheart:

Amanda – praying for you and your dad – hang in there:cry:

Joy – if no one has given you picture posting instructions yet let me know. Oh – just saw the kayaking picture…yah! :smile: I’m not near South Beloit – I’m up in Gurnee less than 10 miles south of the WI boarder near the lake

Yanniejannie – congrats on the loss:drinker:

LizPlus – hope you are feeling better:sick:

Liz_Mfp – don’t wait to go to yoga…there are classes for all levels. I can’t say enough about its benefits – you’ll move better and build strength (in full disclosure I teach yoga PT, but I see how the warm and gentle class I teach helps students):bigsmile:

Lynny – 150 burpees a day – you are an animal!!!!:happy:

Mightyold – what is your name (I hate calling you mighty old – we are all over 50 here:laugh: ). It is possible for you to lose the weight and MFP has the tools to do it. Have you gone back into your goals? Once you update all your info and how much you want to lose (1 lb per week is a good starting point), you’ll get your calorie goal. Log everything! Stick to your calorie limit. Keep exercising. Drink your water. We are all here for you and I’m sure you’ll get some great advice. You will get to your goal!!!!:flowerforyou:

Lucy – good for you resisting pizza and congrats on winning Philly tickets:drinker:

Debbie – are you in the city or burbs? There are a number of us who live around the Chicago area. It would be great to get us all together. The CO contingent meets for lunch at Red Lobster…we were thinking about a nature walk:bigsmile:

Phoo513 – LOL at you doing well with public shame and guilt. :laugh: My DS’s girlfriend is highly gluten intolerant so I’ve been getting more educated on this. She actually eats of very healthy and low cal diet (she’s also allergic to dairy, eggs, and a bunch of other stuff). Many grocery stores now offer gluten free breads and cereals in addition to flour. Brown rice is a great option.

Molly – I love that you are lifting weights with fine looking men who cheer you on:wink:

Jb – those flowers are amazing!:flowerforyou:

Welcome newbies - can't say enough wonderful things about the group of women you have just joined. Please come back often.

Have a great day, Jodios in N. IL:smile::love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :bigsmile:
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I was just popping on for a quick, post but see there's already 2 more pages since I was last here, so will catch up so that I'm not too far behind later. Talk about a run on sentence! :laugh: Anyway NSV-was out doing errands with DH and she wanted to get the flavor of the day from Culvers. I'm not even going to tell you what it was, too delicious sounding! I was going to treat myself to a Mcdonalds ice cream cone because I knew it would be waaaay less calories. She went to Culvers first and by the time we got to McD's I decided not to get anything at all and just to make dinner for lunch since it wasn't something my DH would eat anyways. It has broccoli in it, horrors. :laugh:

Liz_Mfp- I don't think I'm over exercising. Thanks for the concern. I went for a 30 min with the dogs and couldn't keep up a moderate pace because of feeling tired and my calf acting up again. Think I'm going to concentrate on getting more rest for the next few days and then if I don't feel more energetic will see doc.

Lynnyweb- I don't know what a BURPEE is, will have to check it out on youtube!

Jolene from CA- Fantastic loss! Glad you're joining us! :flowerforyou:

Katla-Enjoy your yoga! Maybe I'll try a yoga class at the gym although I am not very flexible! :grumble: I like to do seated yoga from youtube videos. I just saw that's what cityJaneLondon does. :smile:

Mightyold- That's exactly what happened to me! I started here originally in Sept 2011 but never did anything with it. I too felt it was intimidating! Then when I found out my husbands nephew's wife, also a great friend of mine, lost 70 lbs using this app, I decided to give it another try! If you would have asked me last June, when I recommitted, do you think you'll lose 50 lbs and keep it off, I would have said, "No Way"! Anything is possible, don't doubt yourself!! This thread is the best place to come for unconditional support and encouragement!

Phoo513-I'm not gluten intolerant but actually that's what I made for lunch-Gluten Free Impossibly Easy Chicken n Broccoli Pie. Found it on the Betty Crocker website, may be others there too. Caloriewise isn't bad either. I too love the pool at the gym! Much easier on the joints!

Once again I see a lot of new faces! Welcome and I hope we'll see more of you!

Off to do stretches for my contrary calf!

Hugs, :flowerforyou:

Kathy in IL
  • LaurieDaniels
    Options
    I'm new to this group. After dealing with obesity most of my life, I had gastric bypass in 2003. I lost 145 lbs and did really well for several years. In the last 3-4 years, I've gained 45 back and am hovering around the 200 mark. I am finally realizing how important tracking everything is. My hope is that I can get a good portion of the 45 gone again. I'm looking forward to utilizing myfitnesspal to help me get their.

Laurie
  • lvsglass
    lvsglass Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Good for you because you caught yourself now. I'm new to the group too! Nice to meet you. :smile:
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am in my fifties and am loving my MFP thus far but still trying to nail down what my goals are other then losing weight. can it be something personal other then my health? I am looking for as much support as I can and am very willing to be a support buddy to all as well thanks for inviting me in
  • Mary9921
    Mary9921 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm new here and want to be a part of this...
    I am 49 and live in Miami, Florida....
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    My husband had his appointment with his cardiologist today. This was a follow up of his 24 hour monitor he wore last week. He had it because on his last appointment he had a short episode of irregular heart beat along with a real slow rythem and chest pain. So his rythem the whole 24 hours was regular but the rate did go down to 40 at night. During the day it was good. I did ask him to show me the films from when he had his stent put in so we walked over tot he heart Hospital which is in same building and I got to see them. I don't think they meant anything to my husband but as a former cardiac nurse I did appreciate seeing them. I wanted to see for myself the remaining blockages, where they were. He also gave DH a good talking to about his diet. He has a lipid profile due to be done this month and it will be interesting to see how DH has done in watching his fat. He is taking baby steps but when you have the kind of blockages he needs to take bigger steps.

The office wanted to see pictures of my youngest grand daughter. She had drawn the Dr a thank you note after he let DH go on vacation 3 weeks after his heart attack. So now every time we go in they all ask about her. The picture has been framed and in the Drs office.

So that's what is going on with me today. Do families expect us to take care of our elderly parents because we are women?

Joyce in Indiana
  • mightyold
    mightyold Posts: 12
    Options
    JB...your flowers are so beautiful!!

Kathy in IL....Thank you so much for your encouragement. It is so easy to think that this just will not work. I do so much daily...garden, paddle board...etc...I lose NOTHING!

Hey Judios....thank you for the help. and....My name is Lynn. My nick name is Phoebe...after the bird... with another lynn on here...I don't know what to be called. My middle name is hope...could be Lynnhope...
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Welcome Mary from Miami Florida; you will really enjoy this thread.

Lorraine, support seems to be the foundation of MFP as I have always found the support of others so helpful. Keep yourself visible and you will have all the support you need & Welcome!

a BIG welcome to lvsglass too! So many new faces; it is wonderful!

Laurie, here's to your success in re-losing those 45 lbs; you came to the right place.

Kathy in Il, that's a great NSV exercising willpower which is such a challenge when you are surrounded by others that don't need to.

Josios in N.Il, I;ve been on this thread several months & I can never keep up. I'm not here but periodically and it keeps growing daily. I just jump in when I can.

Peachstategal, doesn't feel like we had much Spring either as we had way too many storms and now the weather is turning the heat on. We will both be ready for autumn.

jb, your delphiniums are really pretty - great color!

Molly, such an inspiring story but I do want to encourage you to take care of the back, dear & much success to you losing the weight you desire.

keatsgecko, new to the thread and goals already! you rock! all the best to achieving those goals.

Lucy, congrats on winning those tickets - such a joy!

kevrit, way to go - meeting all those goals yesterday. I hope today is as much as a success as yesterday.

PatceOh now that is an unusual userid; is there a story?

Jane, I know you have to feel so much lighter getting the court off the shoulders; onward to picking up the pieces and making a better life for you & your family. Hang in there, dear one.

Okay that's as far as I am getting today. It's been good reading everyone's threads. I'm off to take a short break before tackling dinner which at the moment I have no interest in. I thought I grilled enough last night for tonight but someone ate more than his share. :laugh: Take care and see you on board. :bigsmile:
  • sandkpeacock
    sandkpeacock Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I am new to this but I think this is where I belong...lol,,lol,,
    I have 20 lbs to lose...Trying to set goals weekly. Just started using MFP. Just love it.
    Kathleen
  • sandkpeacock
    sandkpeacock Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I am new to this but I think this is where I belong...lol,,lol,,
    I have 20 lbs to lose...Trying to set goals weekly. Just started using MFP. Just love it.
    Kathleen:heart:
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Took my Mom shopping today spent 2 1/2 hours food shopping. Boy does she impulse buy. I had to control her, and make her buy real food. I has worn me out.

Meg- what we aren't supposed to talk to our cats naked:noway: , mine always ask "Where did all your fur go"! They think I'm their Mom.

Got to get up and cook dinner, I have the first harvest from the garden, squash, lettuce, peppers and a small cucumber.

Tigress in GA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,816 Member
    Options
    evening ladies-
    was a busy day at work which was good, and ate ok, cept alot of sweets:grumble: I try I really do but it is like star wars- I want the force to be with me,so I dont end up looking like Jabba The Hut:laugh:
    welcome to all of the newbies you will find that this is one swell group of ladies .. :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    This is great!
  • LyndaTay
    LyndaTay Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Lynda and I am from southern California. I started with MFP on March 18. My June goal is to be 175 by my birthday, June 25. As the month is now here and I only have 3 weeks left to meet that goal, I am beginning to believe 180 will be the closest I will get. I won't quit trying!!! If I don't make 175 by June 25, maybe I can make it by July 1st. =)
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Wow, it's hard to keep up with all the new entries. I've been reading them all. You all inspire me to keep on going. I've done really well on my June goals, drinking 8 glasses of water, cardio and strength training.

I've heard over and over and over again that you feel energized from working out. I don't. I feel worse for a few days, I'm exhausted all the time. I sleep worse and I drag my *kitten* around at work. I've tried cutting back, which there isn't that much to cut back on. I only do about 20 mins 4 times a week.

I love reading about what everyone is doing and how their day has been. I'll try and keep up :flowerforyou:

Thank you for making me feel welcome to this group of wonderful women :heart:

Sandy from cool but sunny Ontario
  • rcb1963
    rcb1963 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am happy I found this group. It has done me good to state my monthly goals. I actually made myself walk in the rain last night to get my steps in. I took at 44 minute bike ride this evening and forced myself to do a lifting workout last night even though I just wanted to curl up and watch hockey or basketball. Lots of rain here in usually hot humid sunny south Florida. Have a great week
  • Mollybesweet
    Mollybesweet Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Time to settle in and head to bed.:happy:

Thank you Texasgal 22 for caring. Strangely I am not having much pain after working out but in my legs and arms. I am very cautious when working out.:flowerforyou:

LucyT I used premarin and it really helped .Beginning again in 2 days and doc added promethium.Hope it works.Hot flashes are not pleasant :sad: Good Luck .:wink:

Sunshine awesome pictures. Way to go! :flowerforyou:

Jb_2011 Garden Goddess Stunning pictures. My favorite colors. Very relaxing.:wink:

Hello New Lorrain welcome.:flowerforyou:

Welcome Mary 9921 I am new too. This is an awesome group.:flowerforyou:

Waves to Tigress. Sounds yummy your first picks from the garden. I only had a chance to plant tomatoes this year.:flowerforyou:

Hello GrandMallie .Thank you for the welcome.:flowerforyou:

Hello Lydia from southern Cali.I too am from southern cali {Pomona/chino area} But live in my WV mountains. Welcome.:flowerforyou:

Hello Sandy. Agree it is hard to keep up so I only am doing a few posts.:smile:

Welcome RCB1963. This group is fantastic fabulous fun group.:flowerforyou:

That is all I can do for now Ladies.
    Have a pleasant and blessed night.:heart::flowerforyou:
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Hi all. It was a rainy and cool day. I wandered into work and started looking at exams for my fall class after deleting 200+ emails! UGH. I also had a victory of sorts too!!! You know I haven’t been weighing at home and I haven’t weighed since I have been off work because I wanted to stick with the official weight watchers scale there. Well my fitness buddy and I weighed in today and after all the horrible eating I have done for a month I was only 0.6 pounds over my lowest weight!!!!!!!!! So that really motivated me to keep going . I was feeling pretty down about how poorly I have been doing food wise.

I think the biggest thing is the fitbit, believe it or not. I am so motivated by the little thing. I really believe that adding more activity to my usual routine has made a bigger difference that “working out”. When I wore it for the first week, my average was 3000 steps, so I made my goal 6000 and have reached it on all but 2 days. So anyway I am really excited now!

Sue: let us know how your blood work came out!

Jodi & Diane: welcome!

Luna; good attitude! One day off plan is not a disaster. Just keep going!

Michele: sounds like DS and his choices are still bothering you. I send you best wishes for peace.

Margaret and Seventeen: welcome to you too!

Joyce: keep that determination! You can do this

Colleen: welcome back…nice to see you again!

Yanniejannie and Joy: plane fires? I was the unofficial fire marshal on our first trip to the girls’ hometown; all the drunk businessmen kept going in the bathroom to smoke (even in Russia smoking on planes is not allowed) and when they’d leave, I’d go in and pour water into the trash can which inevitably had a smoldering cigarette butt in it!

Liz: that cleaning never ends, does it?

Sue from California: try Zoloft LOL. Seriously though, I was CRAZY with irritation and that crawly feeling. My doc put me on 50 mg of Zoloft and it is a dream come true!

Phoo: welcome!

Lizmfp: I’d love to try the wogging/run & walking but after 2 calf tears, I’m really afraid to do anyting that does that fast push off with my leg.

Connie: what a fun way to burn calories!

Viv: the number of posts has really jumped, hasn’t it?

Grandmallie: migraines are miserable, I hope yours improve soon!

Amanda: bless you for being there for your dad and finding him appropriate housing! I’m so sorry your sibs are uncaring and unhelpful. Just think of how much better you are making your dad’s life.

DeeDee: I got a water infuser and am drinking way more water now!

Joy: woo hoo is right! Great job!!!

Heather; I have been seeing reports of flooding in Europe. Hope your DS stays safe

Brooke; I love today’s quotation!

Kathy: I sleep poorly too. My fitbit confirms it. My worst night was awake 47 times! Bleh!

Lynny: what part of OK are you in? Were you affected by the weather? My inlaws all live around Miami OK, which is just about 10 miles from Joplin

Katla: I think I do ok on fat too; we only eat red meat once a week, and have vegetarian, fish, or poultry on the other nights. But I agree…I need to cut the cheese down in that recipe!

Tere, nanmal, & mightyold: welcome!

Jolene: wow your weight loss is impressive!

Alaka & deb: welcome to you two, too!

Jb & joy: yay for the cool picture!

Robin: hope your day today is more satisfying that yesterday!

PatceO: welcome to the group

Jane: hugs to you too! You have enough stress in your life!

Jmkmomm: I often wonder what people do without long term care insurance.,.or without being rich! My dad pays 10,000/month at the nursing home!

Lucy; hope your headache has gone away! I still have that cat, only at 18 years old, he’s easier to catch now!

Molly: the pizza sounds great!

Jb: omy !!!! Those delphinium are so gorgeous!!!!!!

Peach state gal: we too have had odd weather. It was 101 on day in May, and now today it’s in the 50s.

Jodios: yes, give that body a rest! You deserve a bit of it!!

Joyce: YES we women are expected to care for the older generation, the kids, the house, the bills, the groceries, the house, the laundry….blah blah blah . Is it any wonder we eat for comfort!!!!!!!!! Thank go I have the best family ever and my hubby does way more than I do.

Lynn: glad to call you Lynn: Im might old myself!!!

Tigress; I know what you mean. I get up and go to the bathroom and am followed by a dog and three cats.

Holy cow ladies. There are so many posts to keep up with I can’t manage!!!!! Signing off for now. Meg in rainy Omaha.

Take care, Meg
    June goals:
    90 ounces of water
    6000 steps
    <1800 calories/day
    Exercise 5x/week