WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2013

Options

Replies

• imcam1
    imcam1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Count me in. Originally started in January. Did really well for the first couple of months and then not so good in March and April. Started back a couple of weeks ago. I have 10 more pounds to go. Hopefully, I can stay with it this time.

Carol--Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Robin: I tried the pushups from my knees, and that was too much, so I moved to a wall. It is a good starting spot. How many repetitions do you recommend per set, and what is a good goal for number of sets?

Heather: You’ve made amazing progress in just under a year. I hope to be able to say the same by October. We have some weights hooked up in the garage to be a lat pull down. I may try them, although they’re currently set up too heavy for me to do a number of repetitions.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
    June goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Happy June, welcome to everyone new!

Mary C, :flowerforyou: a tense situation like the one you're experiencing can be very unnerving and difficult to say the least. Follow your heart. Hold on to the love you have and try to let go of any fears. Stress and worry are two of the worst things, and I know that no matter how hard we try, sometimes it seems impossible to let go and relax. Can you put aside some time for yourself? Try to get a good workout at some point in your day, for I know that working up a good sweat works wonders for stress relief. Continuing with your house project is fine and all, but taking some time alone to recharge your batteries might be a good idea. Breathe deep, and by all means try your darndest to keep smiling. I know it's not easy. Sending you tons of good thoughts!

Renny, love the pic of "you" this morning, lol. :bigsmile: I hope you're out there enjoying yourself!

I spent yesterday living up to my "Garden Goddess" title as shown in my profile pic. :wink: I received the darling wall plaque in the mail a couple weeks ago, thank you DeeDee! I just love it. :love: And I must say, reading about your day yesterday is inspiring me to go buy a lounge chair for my yard! I need one! Then all I'd have to do is make myself sit in it for longer than 10 minutes :laugh: Please send me some of your ability to take a day off and relax.:tongue:

I picked lovely heads of cauliflower and broccoli at the garden yesterday, plus a huge bag of spinach. I think I'll make the cauliflower au gratin recipe this evening to go with dinner. Planning to have another full day in the garden, it works wonders for my soul. :glasses:

Everyone have a wonderful Sunday! Be strong, be happy, eat right and guzzle that water. :drinker:

I leave you with this photo of my pride-and-joy delphiniums in the yard - some of my favorite flowers.

:smile: jb the beautiful PNW

DSC00368.jpg
  • Mollybesweet
    Mollybesweet Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hello from West Virginia:bigsmile:
    First posting.Am a mature~don't you just love that word?:tongue: woman of 55,type 2 diabetic {3 years now and on insulin} I try not to look at the big number of the weight I must lose .It did not come on fast and as I read here by a good person~fast weight loss is a DIET :tongue: slow and steady loss is a life style change.That was my aha moment.:flowerforyou: I live each day in physical pain,some days good some not so good.Today is a good day :happy:
    Here are my goals::flowerforyou: :heart:
    June Goals~:
    To be positive and have faith.
    To strength train increasing reps not weights.
    To increase my times on the stationary bike and treadmill.
    Have meatless Monday again.
    To drop 12 pounds~6 is more likely and healthier.
    Increase my veggie intake and try something new.
    Lower my A1C by .4
    Begin to meditate again.
    Show and offer one act of kindness every day.

Molly B
  • marmalade628
    marmalade628 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Woke up with a big headache this morning. Didn't go to church so I had a lie in and try to get rid of the headache. I don't think it is from the diet but from the allergies. Been coughing and sneezing a lot yesterday so that Is what I think I have. Had just a Atkins drink for this morning and am going back to bed. Got to get in my water though cause that helps with the headache not to mention the weight loss. :smile:

Maybe will be back later to write more.
  • tammytylerjones
    tammytylerjones Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Well, it seems I took a hiatus for the month of May! And now I'm back... started logging my food, went back to the gym, my isn't it hard after two weeks of no exercise??? I tried to push, and take it easy on myself at the same time. Not too sore today, so suppose I ought to head back again!

For June...

I'm eating healthy and logging my food.
    Going to the gym or 1/2 hour good exercise 6 days a week
    Lots of water
    Be grateful
    Be positive

Have a great day!
    Tammy in Va Beach
  • sunshine61250
    sunshine61250 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm back from kayaking and I didn't fall in! WOO HOO! I think you can see the pictures here if you want to: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10201112716811125.1073741827.1565244611&type=1. I didn't fall in the water so I'm thrilled. Took me quite a while to get the hang of it, but I'm looking forward to going again soon! I was pretty excited when the instructor was helping people figure out which wetsuit to get. And when it was my turn he said I should take a medium! I did a little happy dance.

jmkmomm - GREAT JOB! I'm right handed and my right arm is weaker than my left. I had melanoma and they had to take out some of the muscles. I :heart: HGTV. Whenever we are back in the states, that's all I watch.

Robin - what a great perk! It would probably get me exercising more too!

grandmallie - great job on the picnic! I would have gone WAY over my calorie count. And isn't skype a wonderful thing? I love seeing the grandkids and keeping up with them that way.

Mary C - first off I want to let you know that I will be praying. And second, if you think she's interested then she probably is. We helped out a single mom from church about 10 years ago. She and her 3 teenage daughters moved in with us for what was just supposed to be a few weeks. They ended up not leaving until we sold the house and moved overseas. She was ALWAYS gushing about how wonderful my hubby was. She was constantly giving him hugs, complementing him .... my husband just didn't see it and thought i was over reacting. So one day I did something that I'm not very proud of. I read her diary. She had it just sitting out on her nightstand. OH MY! It was all full of dreams that she'd been having about him, gushing on and on about him .... I made hubby read it when he got home. He read one page and put it down and from then on out made sure that there was distance between the two of them. He made sure she got the message LOUD AND CLEAR that he was a VERY happily married man. I trusted my husband totally too and I know without a shadow of a doubt he would never have let anything ever happen but he was very uncomfortable (and he still thinks I shouldn't have read her diary .... and I wouldn't have if I didn't feel like she had feelings for him.)

megblair1 - good job getting things cleared out! Do you want to come over and help me now? :tongue:

Luna - I am impatient too! Can't wait to see the before and after pictures!

juliewish - WELCOME! :flowerforyou:

Pam - that's what I keep telling myself. I'm not on a diet, it's just a lifestyle change! I just need to remember it!

RebelRenny - GREAT picture of you! :happy:

Gail - where they cadbury eggs? Those are my favorite. It's the only thing the Easter bunny is allowed to bring me. :wink: Hubby was supposed to grill out last week before he left and when he pulled open the grill, there was a nest with 6 baby birdies in it! :mad: Of course this means no grilling out for a while. We just couldn't bear the thought of taking them out ... it was a really pretty nest!

Katla - Ohhhh. That sounds so good! I would have been taking a bunch of pictures of the dog eating hers though.

marmalade628 - LOVE IT! We SHOULD be kind to ourselves. Maybe it will become a habit after doing it all month. I will try to remember this myself. Thanks!

Michele - We're going to a cabin next weekend and I kept thinking that I KNOW there is something I need to take but I just couldn't put my finger on it. I read your post about banana muffins and thought THAT'S IT ... I need to take some blueberry walnut muffins for an easy breakfast. Thank you!

Dawn - I love your name "Youcantfoolme". I bet you have a wonderful sense of humor!

Jo - that sounds like a wonderful day! I :heart: walking through cow pastures and sheep pastures here!

Heather - congrats on finally getting there! HOORAY!

June, I’m not sure if I’ve said WELCOME or not to you yet …. So WELCOME!

mmtiernan – WELCOME! :flowerforyou:

Carol – WELECOME! :flowerforyou:

Jb - :heart: your garden picture!!!

Molly - WELCOME! :flowerforyou:

Tammy – WELCOME BACK! :flowerforyou:

Joy (An American living the good life in Stavanger, Norway)
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful group of people. This is my first time posting goals and do think it will help me stay on track. Barbie thanks for getting us started on a better June. So many new people and enjoy reading about each of you. I do have acouple questions.
    Ginny- what is the 30 day shred?
    pam- What skin regimen to rehydrate/tighter loose skin do you do?
    My Goals for June are
    1. cut down on the diet pop to one a day/
    2. Drink atleast 8 glasses of plain water a day
    3. Finish cleaning out my rock garden
    4. Do some type of exercise everyday.
    5. Think postive and Stree less

Vicki-Grand Island,NE
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Hope all of you have your dancing shoes out and polished. You are going to need it tomorrow. I weighed 198.8 today. I'm not going to count it until I see it a second day. But did you read that weight???? It started with a 1!!!!!!!! Oh my, my heart is pumping. I'm glad I am on my beta blocker, no telling what my heart would be doing right now. I have been working on my June goals. Some of them aren't anything like what you have, I have more of some life style changes I need to make.

Off the they Y. I'm going to ask for another strength training exercise this week. That will be 3 along with my recumbant bike

Joyce, polishing my dancing shoes In Indiana
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Joy -- if they were Cadbury mini-eggs instead of real birdie ones I might have eaten them!! :happy:

Tried to mow the lawn again today after getting a new air filter. DH tried to start it before he had to leave for work, but no-go. I struggled trying to get the spark plug out and ended up asking a neighbor (with lots of toys - dirt bike, etc.) and he got it out, but it is still good. Interestingly he dipped it into the gas and reinserted it. The mower would run until the gas on the plug burned off, then stop. He said it is likely the carburator pinholes are clogged and it needs service, so no mowing. OK, then, I thought I'd finish up with the trimmer and at least get edges done. No dice. Even though the battery was on the charger overnight it didn't run for more than 5-6 minutes, and the last few of that at an ineffective speed. Plus the string doesn't feed out anymore, you have to open the little spool and put out a little more as you go.

Found out from another neighbor yesterday that the SonIL of another neighbor does her yard for $20, every other week, when he comes to do his dad's. Just mowing and trimming.... I think that may be in my future, too. By the time I replace at least batteries for the trimmer and pay for the mower repair it is sounding better and better. That way I can just do the part I like best - the flower beds.

Since I was already good and sweaty I decided to clean the garage and load the pile of things for goodwill into my car. Very daring with DH off at work...he'll be in a panic! Anyway, had a good sweep, put out some dibs/dabs of iron and weed/feed fertilizer for plants to empty the bags, organized the recycling pile for Wednesday and tidied up in general. Well, don't you know, in the time it too me to shower and clean up a bit it has started to storm. Great for what I put out for the plants, but need to wait on the errand.

Oh well, its still ALL GOOD! Off to make a peach smoothy for lunch --- it is still hot. Surely sweating can count as calorie burn, right?!?

BBL,
    Gail
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all who posted suggestions on kicking the after dinner candy habit. I made it through yesterday eating only the things on my plan - no candy and under goal barely. Yay! One day at a time.today is going well so far.

I wanted to speak on the bra fitting. My sister and I went to Dillard's and got fitted. For the first time in my life, my bra lies flat between my breasts. I had to get an H cup. The bras were $65 each. Yikes! I came home and found them on sale at Macy's and ordered a couple more, still around $50, which is ridiculous but I guess worth it. I just hope they will continue to fit through a few pounds lost. I think they will since it took about 30 lbs for my others to get too big in the cup. I just kept tightening the back, and there's room for that.
  • colograndma
    Options
    Popping in for just a bit... am at work.... and it is one of those days , although it is busy busy, time is standing still.:huh:

Today is my weighing day and I lost 1.2 pounds however my ticker is not showing it:noway: But I was happy anyhoo.

I will be off Monday and Tuesday, and hope to get some things accomplished in the house and yard. So much to do in both places. Poor DH is befuddled with our watering system, it is coming on at odd times etc.. and I just think we will need to reprogram it in the next couple of days.

Sue : Hope you shoulder mends fast, and you are much better!

Mary: Am praying that your situation improves soon and I will be lifting your up in prayer. Especially that DH will realize what truely is going on... (((Hugs))

:heart: and Hugs to all
    Connie in time is standing still Colorado :laugh:
  • NHTravelMaven
    NHTravelMaven Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ugghhhh...working today, and the clock is dragggggging. One more hour, and then I'm done for the day.

I'm just tired today, cranky and unmotivated. Hubby is recovering from shoulder surgery and has a hard time sleeping. He tosses and turns and keeps waking me up. I need a good night's sleep, or I'm no good for anyone. Grrrrrr!!!

This morning was weigh-in. I managed to gain 1.4 pounds. My weight loss has been at the same 60 pound mark for a few months now, I gain, I lose. I'm tired of it!!

I don't want to be negative Nelly...so am really trying to just be gentle with myself. Tonight I'll just relax, and take the night off from everything. A healthy dinner, a good TV show, and I'll be in a much better place.

Hate when I'm not Sally Sunshine :(

Patti from New Hampshire
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Pam – Can you share with us what your skin regimen is? I’m sure I’m not the only one interested in how to “tighten loose skin”!:wink:

Run Renny Run!!!!!!! Yes, you ARE a goddess (sorry to hear that your backache sabotaged your 10k :sad: )

Gail in the Garden – LOL your husband cracks me up! If it is leaving chocolate hope that the bunny breeds :bigsmile:

Katla – I just love the picture of you, DH and Dog riding and sharing ice cream together. My sweet dog just loves ice cream and gelato (doesn’t get it as often as he’d like of course) :tongue:

Marmalade628 – I think what you added to your goals is BRILLIANT! I agree we all need to be kinder to ourselves (I'm "borrowing that to add to my own):smile:

Michele in NC – Oh, I do too love beets! I usually roast them and either eat them warm from the oven or chilled and sliced into salads – Yum! :happy:

Jo – “Confuse the little metabolism gremlin” :laugh: I’m working on this right now myself since I seem to have hit a plateau. :laugh: :bigsmile: :laugh: at the picture of you scrambling over the fence to get away from the aggressive cows

Heather – your success is really inspiring. I have no doubt you will be just as successful at maintenance with your determination! :flowerforyou: Oh, your supper sounds divine

DeeDee – Good for you for taking a day to rest, relax and rejuvenate! What book are you reading? Always looking for good ones :smile:

Grandmallie – You are doing such a great job getting to the gym! Keep up the great work :drinker:

June in FL – Great goals, today is the first day of the rest of your (healthy) life! :flowerforyou:

Katla – Congrats on getting “the girls” properly fitted. I did the same a couple weeks ago and it made me look like I’d dropped an additional five pounds, great NSV! :smile:

JB – Your garden is truly amazing, wish I could see it in person but appreciate the pictures a lot. Garden Goddess indeed! :flowerforyou:

Tammy – Welcome back! Good for you for getting back to the gym :happy:

Heather – So glad you had fun kayaking, I loved it the time I did it (maybe again this summer?!?!). Love the NSV of the wetsuit too! I’ve had melanoma twice in the past and have just discovered what I believe to be another, will be going in for yet another biopsy. Trying not to freak out about it – bleah! :grumble:

Joyce – I’m doing the happy dance for you TODAY!!!! Onederland is yours now and forever more :wink:

Gail – Wow, you were a yard-working, garage-cleaning machine today!!!! Log those in your exercise diary for sure! :yawn:

Patti in NH - You don't have to be Sally Sunshine here with us, sometimes a good rant is needed to get it out of one's system :bigsmile: . Good plan for self-care tonight!

:flowerforyou: Mmtiernan, Vicki in NE, Molly B & Carol in IN – Welcome to this fine group of women! Come back to read/post often – you’ll get words of wisdom, laughs and great support on your health journeys :flowerforyou:

Brooke from Colorado

“Collect moments not things.”
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sun.Gloomy and cool here.
    Finished laundry.
    HUGS
  • Zenelda
    Zenelda Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi,
    I am new to this post or any post and am over 65. Really happy to see so much encouragement and suggestions here.
    I have noticed a few people are using a pedometer. I don't have one and am currently just going by my watch to keep track of my exercise time. How helpful is a pedometer I am wondering? I may invest in one. Does anyone have any suggestions on keeping on track when going through menopause again! and again!
    Have a great day everyone.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,732 Member
    Options
    zenelda- i bought one about a month ago, and it is great, mine tracks the steps and calories and all sorts of neat stuff. I try and get 10,000 steps a day, sometimes it is hard, but at least with the pedometer, even if your just out and about doing errands the steps add up...
    good luck, and this is an awesome bunch of ladies :drinker:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce: Congratulations and welcome to Onederland! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Dr. Katie: Isn’t it great to have bras that fit?! The fitting itself wasn’t at all embarrassing and was worth my time. I didn’t realize what a good idea it is until I saw people here talking about it. I don't remember who was talking about it, but owe them my thanks! :flowerforyou:

Brooke: DH actually won my heart back in college days when I was watching a friend’s dog. The friend was in jail for breaking the law while protesting the Vietnam War. :noway: I was looking out for Jenny the dog, and DH, then a friend of another friend, took us both to Dairy Queen for ice-cream. We’ve been taking our dogs out for ice-cream once in a while ever since then.:bigsmile:

Welcome to the newbies. Post often, and tell us where you’re from.:flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

June goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am so exhausted today; I have decided that this is not an option for me any longer. I spent the whole day shopping with DD#2 since we got rid of her furniture yesterday. We went to Nebraska Furniture Mart and bought her bedroom set. Both girls were told they could have new furniture on their 17th birthday that they can take with them when they leave. So she got a really nice set: queen bed, nightstand, desk, chair, and chest of drawers with a mirror. Then we spent hours looking for new bedspread etc. We ended up at Bed Bath and Beyond and holy cow. Buying an “ensemble’ there was more complicated than putting men on the moon. It took hours even after we chose a set.

Turns out they took in nearly $2000 yesterday, so we made way more than I thought we would. O I’m happy about that. By the end of the evening, at least 4 of our cars, and maybe 5, will fit in the garage for the first time since we moved here 7 years ago.
    We went to see the new Star Trek movie last night. It was really good, but not quite as good as I expected. The fighting was way over the top and too much of it. We went to Old Chicago afterwards for some drinks and we had some pizza there. I have never liked their food, but the pizza was fabulous!

I have no idea how I did on my May goals; but my thinking is that I didn’t do well. I never seem to follow them. So I’m going day by day and trying for my 90 ounces of water and get 6000 steps in.

Luna: I think you are very brave for even taking those pictures!

Juliewish: welcome to the group. You will find so much support and kindness here

Pam I think I missed when you started here but glad you are with us

Jmkmomm: great goals!

Juanita I think your goals are good ones too

Rebel: not only have you lost a lot of weight, you look so young and vibrant too! Those colors are your look! LOL

Gail: if you find bunnies that don’t breed, patent them! We have bunnies all over the yard. One of the them is bigger than a big housecat! I saw it once sitting in our platform/ground feeder and it filled the entire thing and slopped over the sides!

Katla: I love the mental image of your god and you biking and eating ice cream!

Marmalade; you do need to be kind to yourself when you “mess up”. Just remember that healthy slender people eat pizza and ice cream too at times.

Michele; I think I have missed what happened to Vince but I hope he is feeling better soon!

Katla: I like your idea of the signature line with the goals. I may try that too.

Jo; so you were like the pied piper of cows!

Heather: sounds like you are making great progress on your goals!

DeeDee: your day outside reading sounds like a good tonic for all that ails you!

Tigress; hope all works out for your tooth.

June: welcome to the group!

Robin: I tend to do worse on weekends too. I spend a lot of time with friends and tend to eat either too much or too much bad stuff!

Mmtierman: welcome to the group! You have a beautiful smile!

Carol: welcome to you too!

Jb: a garden goddess you are indeed!!!! Omg those delphina are absolutely gorgeous@ Are they staked up? Would you be willing to share the cauliflower au gratin recipe?

Molly: welcome to our group!

Tammy: nice to see you again!

Joy: glad; you did not fall in the drink and so glad you are feeling well enough to go on your trip!

Vicki: welcome to our group. We are nearly neighbors; I live in Papillion.

Joyce: congratulations on the weight that begins with a number 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drkatie and everyone else who bought new bras: this has been a funny conversation to follow, but boy do I hate buying bras. I
    need a DD but the problem is that my arms are heavier that other parts of my body and the straps are always too tight even at their loosest. Also the sides are too high and poke my armpits. So I’m the fat lady you see pulling and tugging at the bra out in public!

Patty: my dh had a total shoulder replacement 3 years ago, but it was a breeze compared to the bunion he had done last year.

Zenelda: welcome to the group! I am addicted to my fitbit and I don’t even get all its benefits because I have a stupid phone.

Well I’m about done in. I need a nap before baseball starts! Take care everyone Meg from sunny Omaha
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :blushing: So...WonderWoman turned into mush today. Darned. My back refused to cooperate. :sad: :sad: But there will be another time; in fact the plan is to start training soon for a 1/2 marathon in October. The thought of which is entirely crazy by the way :noway: :noway: I say no way I can do that. So I need to get my back better first.

:happy: The good news is that my DD and little grandson came over to 'comfort' me today. Distraction and meds sure help to forget the pain. Now it is back to the couch and rest my body.

Hope you all are having a good Sunday.

:heart: :heart: Renny
    from sunny Vancouver Island, BC