WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2013

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce,

I’ve been wondering how to add my monthly goals for a long time too, and your post motivated me to try. I decided to try to deal with the “automatic goals” in Microsoft Word since I have no idea how to accomplish it in MPF. I typed my conclusion first as a signature, and then made my reply above it. I wonder if it will work. If it posts correctly, I’ll save it, and use it for all my responses.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

June goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
  • marmalade628
    marmalade628 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think along with what I wrote this afternoon I want to include that I want to be kind to myself if I slip up. It is not all over if I slip up. I want to let it run off my back like water and move on and keep working at the tuff task of loosing this weight and getting healthy. I think we all need to remember this. :happy:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Katla how did you do the signature. i looked at all the things under settings and I didn't see anything. I also looked under my profile.

Joyce
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Went to yoga, then had to go to WalMart. Vince bit his cheek the other day and it was really hurting, he asked me to pick up this stuff, I'd never heard of it. Finally, someone at the prescription desk said they do have it, but they would have to special order it. I knew Vince would want it today so I didn't do that, then went to Aldi to get some veges (why don't they have more registers open?), stopped at Target because I remembered they had a pharmacy dept so I looked for the stuff Vince wanted. They didn't have it but the gal there did tell me that a comparable item is Oragel so I got that. Came home, raked rocks, went to church, made banana muffins and sugar cookies for the guys who are going to build the mini-pergola, had dinner then it was dark enough to check out the rope lights Vince wants to install. Then made some pudding for Vince

I don't think I'll do any formal exercise tomorrow. If it's on the cloudy side, I may use the Wet & Forget. Vince is thinking that if his temperature goes up, he's going to go to the hospital. We shall see. Fortunately, when I got my tooth pulled, I didn't take the pain pills but we had the prescription filled because Vince sometimes will take them. So he took a pain pill tonight.

candygirl - welcome! How is chickletgirl? Tell her she's missed.

Welcome kindlekate, Ginny, Debbie, Maggie, Kas (Grand Rapids, MI), jjdig (your name is familiar, were you here before?), Melody, Cindi, Kay (good for you joining that walk),Linda, JJ, Cathy, marmalade (love your pic), Patti, Sandy (congrats on the awesome weight loss and to your daughter), Sue, Sam (happy birthday!) and any other newbie I may have missed

Joy - I usually exercise early in the day, like 7 if I'm doing something at home.

Dianna sent Denise a birthday wish on Facebook. Denise was a bit upset (and I'd say rightfully so), Bryan didn't even post a "happy birthday" or anything. You know, yesterday I had a terrible thought, what if something's happened to him? Like he has some sort of mental problem or something? Oh, I'm in the worry-wart mode.

DeeDee - how did your walk go? It was pretty warm here. I was raking stones and Vince was digging a trench for a piece of landscape border, he's hoping that it'll help channel any water to a drain. I think he's being overly cautious.

tigress - by the time I was able to log on, we were at page 4! Where in NC is your show going to be?

Kathy - hope you raise lots of money at your party

Went to the farmer's market this morning before yoga and this one guy had the first golden beets of the year. Guess what I bought? I just now boiled them and cut them up. I think I've died and gone to heaven!

Amanda - best thoughts for your dad

Robin - good luck in your challenge

Joyce - getting my dancing shoes on! It won't be long now!!!!

Liz - I really don't have a problem remembering my goals. They're the same ones as March, April and May's and they'll probably be June, July and August's too.

grandmalle - your picnic sounds delish. Good for you logging EVERYTHING, even the salad

Meg - it must feel so great to have a clean garage. What movie are you going to see?

Gail - it was hot here in NC, I can't imagine what it was like for you. On top of that you worked outside, too?

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Options
    Katla how did you do the signature. i looked at all the things under settings and I didn't see anything. I also looked under my profile.

Joyce

Joyce,

I didn't use MFP. I used Microsoft Word on my computer. I make most of my comments on a Word document when I’m reading the page so I won't lose things as I go along. Then I copy the message and paste it into MFP. I had wonderful posts typed several times that disappeared into ether, and got really frustrated. That is when I changed to using Word to draft nearly all of my messages. I signed the post the way I wanted and posted. Then I erased the whole message other than the signature and saved it to use over and over. Now I'll use it as stationary to answer most of the posts.

This won't work if I"m posting from anyplace other than my computer.

June goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks Katla

Joyce
  • junekaatz
    junekaatz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: bump, time just keep getting away from me.:blushing:
  • youcantfoolme
    youcantfoolme Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm in... June goals are pretty simple for me.
  • youcantfoolme
    youcantfoolme Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm in... June goals are pretty simple for me.
    1. Attend cardiac rehab w/out missing any days.
    2. Swim at least 3x a day for at least a hour.
    3. Keep the weight loss off.
    4. Live more and stress less.
    5. Be positive. One day at a time.

Dawn from Orange Park, Fl
  • nanasorchid52
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies!

Blink on this thread and you are behind again!!

Mary's goals

1 Continue to make Healthy scrummy low fat meals - achieved - found and made lots of delicious food.
    2 maintain weight and have fun! Achieved and lost more! I can't believe that when I am not trying my body loses more - where does that come from? Definitely had lots of fun!
    3 Vary exercise to confuse metabolism - now this is definitely working for me- confuse the little metabolism gremlin!
    4 add weight training -- achieved - top of arms showing signs of improvement - need to work on the underarm jiggle!

So I think I will repeat for June as its a lifestyle change really
    June's goals-
    1 Continue to make Healthy scrummy low fat meals
    2 maintain weight and have fun!
    3 Vary exercise to confuse metabolism
    4 add weight training
    @ add number 5 try some more footpath routes

- and talking of that - a friend and I did exactly that on Friday and what an hilarious episode that turned out to be! We parked in a little country pub and went in to book a meal for a group of friends for later in the month. We were trying a new footpath route for that night. In the pub there was a wake and we got talking to some locals. They looked at our map and gave us some advice - unfortunately as they all talked at once we were totally confused!

Off we set and found the first footpath sign - through a large field with sone grazing cows. Unfortunately they decided we were taking them for food and started following us - gathering speed. I was over the gate quick as anything, cranky knees or not!

Managed to follow the map and footpath signs really well then reached a field that had a footpath detour because of nesting lapwings.! We finally reached our destination of a Manor House only we overshot because it was over a tall hedge which we couldn't see over and the footpath signs was missing!

A lovely walk back following the country lane for a circular walk. Passed a field with some sheep gambolling around and making lots of noise we reached the pub, only to find some locals outside waiting for us thinking we might be lost! They though we were in the field with the sheep!

We had a drink with them in the pub - I for the life of me couldn't follow the conversation - as again they all talked at once and contradicted themselves. Some bits were very interesting though as they were all born and bred in the village.

So when we go back later in the month I think we will receive a warm welcome! They also have live entertainment at the end of each month which we said we would go back for. Yikes!!!

Well must get out in the garden - beginning to look very pretty .

Keep smiling
    Jo
    UK WALES
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,263 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!
    I think it was Katla who asked about my water meter. We have to pay per square metre we use. We therefore prefer not to use mains water for the garden. We have 4 waterbutts from which we fill watering cans. Last year it rained a lot so there was no problem, but our first summer here we were saving water from the shower in buckets! I guess we are a bit mean. :sick:
    Well ladies, I have lost that .5lb so now am 10st 13lb. Only a few lbs to take me into healthy BMI. I was going to go a bit lower, but Barbie has alerted me to the danger of going too low over 60. I am very happy to stick with 24.9 when I get there. My waist hip ratio is now just inside healthy. Body fat acceptable, but I would like to squeeze into athletic so the weights and strength training will continue as part of my life. I must say I am a little worried about how to maintain when I get there, but I hope, with your help, I will manage it.
    My knee is clicking a bit this morning so I haven't done squats etc. Did HIIT on the machines to confuse my metabolism! !:laugh:
    I think we will barbecue the lamb steaks we have for supper. Roast cauliflower to go with it.
    So, I have lost .5 of the 1.5 lbs I set for June. 1 lb to go. It seems to take me that long these days, but it's not a race. Actually I would like to lose it by 21st, the big weekend of DSIL' s 60th. For no other reason other than self satisfaction!:blushing: :laugh:
    Love to all. We had Oklahoma on our news. It is all the more real nowadays because I feel so much more linked to the USA.

Heather in green and blossoming Hampshire :flowerforyou:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Welcome to everyone new:flowerforyou: ! Come in often and chat away!!! You`ll find lots of support on this thread!

Michele:smile: I had a wonderful walk yesterday morning, a nice breeze blowing, wasn`t too hot at all!

Jo:smile: You walk sounds like a fun and interesting time, not sure I would have wanted cows following me:laugh: . Sounds like a great pub, there used to be a restaurant I went to every Tues. night, they had jazz on the outdoor patio, it was fantastic!

I spent most of yesterday outside lounging in a lounge chair on my deck:glasses: , almost finished a book:bigsmile: , it was absolutely wonderful. It`s been so long since I`ve taken a day to do absolutely nothing, it felt fabulous! Refreshing, renewing, and rejuvenating:bigsmile: , just what I needed! Today I put on my tiara and boss the boys for a bit:laugh: , good times:tongue: !

Have a wonderful day ladies! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in beautiful sunny NC:glasses:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,733 Member
    Options
    well even though I have been fluctuating a lb up-down, i wont change my ticker:blushing: I did lose weight from yesterday anyway. been up and went to the gym, wasn't for long but made it 3 days in a row, going to try and start going every morning...have to be diligant:wink:
    today will be work day, have to take care of my FIL and go to Sam's and walmart-going to buy myself a few t-shirts and shorts..:bigsmile:
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have got to stop sleeping, every time I do pages appear and I have more to read, LOL. My friend came over to look at the garden yesterday and we found a couple of squash ready to harvest. My new desk top computer doesn't work so back it goes, to newegg.

Michele- we will be in Wilmington on Thanksgiving weekend. It at the center near the college downtown. It's a nice venue, and some really nice artists.

Welcome to all the new folks, this is a great thread and no one is judgemental or mean.

Tomorrow is weigh in and a doctor appointment, I need to go by my dentist office I have a tooth that is bothering me.

Here are my June goals-

Lose 5 lbs in June
    Walk 2.5 miles every other day
    Use my tubes for strength training 2 days a week
    Keep carbs to a max of 30 at larger meals and 15 for snacks

Tigress in GA
  • junnieann
    junnieann Posts: 9
    Options
    This is the first step forward today to that thinner me. I will track all food that I eat and drink good or bad. And it will have to start with healthier cooking habits and recipes plus getting back in to my walking every day. I'm sure there will be bumps along the way, but I'm ready for what every I have to deal with to get to my goal. I hope I can help others also along their journey and become friends as we go down this road helping one another.:smile:

June
    Florida
  • Katla49
    Options
    Jo in Wales: Your village adventure sounds like good fun. I wouldn’t like to be followed by strange cows either, especially if there was a bull among them.:wink: The mental images of your adventure make me laugh. :laugh: I’m glad it turned out well. The villagers from the pub sound like wonderful people.:flowerforyou:

Heather: Being water-wise is not mean; it is earth friendly. I admire your dedication to environmentally good practices.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

A few weeks ago we had a discussion about getting fitted for new bras. I did it! The new one actually supports “the girls.” They feel much better now, and so do I. I went to Macy’s rather than Nordstrom, though. They have a brand I like, which is, unfortunately, NEVER on sale. :noway:

I’m looking at adding some form of exercise to firm up my upper arms and inner thighs. I also still have a belly roll. Its smaller, but still a roll. Mostly, my skin is doing a nice job shrinking to fit the new, smaller, me but those areas need some work. I’d love to get advice from you. There is a crossfit gym right up the street from me, but I don’t want to go there. They’re too aggressive for this “mature” woman, and they play blaring, hideous music, too.:tongue: One of my younger friends went there and was posting all sorts of good news on facebook until she started posting all sorts of news about her injuries. :frown: I’m sure she isn’t still going there, and she doesn’t look like the weight stayed off.

DH is still asleep, and I’m contemplating ways to have fun today. I’ll see how he feels when he gets up. If it is a good day we have many fun options. If not, I’ll need to figure out fun things to do on my own.

June goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies.worked on the yard a bit yesterday and did somegrocery shopping. I also spent a lot of time playing with the boys. Ritter has so much bounce and he loves to chase his tail. It makes me smile. I am not doing so good on the steps and the water over the weekend. I do great during the work week. I am going to have to work on that. so now its off to the dreadmill..

Katla - I do pushups and tricep dips for my arms. You can start pushups by modifying them. I started against a wall and then down to a table (kitchen counter) and then on my knees on the floor and then full pushups. baby steps to building muscle that burns the fat. I do tricep dips any where I can put my arms on something behind me and I dip down. dip as low as you can comfortably.

Robin Bodi and Ritter
    PNW (cloudy this morning)
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    double post
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,263 Member
    Options
    Katla. - have you got dumbbells? I too can't bear the music they play in most gyms so I don't go now. The one I went to in London was kind enough to turn it down for me so I could plug earphones into my favourite daytime TV.!
    I use my dumbbells for my arms and I am very pleased with the results. I have upper arm definition for the first time in my life. Soon I shall get some slightly bigger ones, my current ones are 5kg each, with 2kg ones for 30D shred. I looked up exercises on the internet, especially triceps, but I'm afraid the bingo wings are resisting a bit as you can't exercise away fat, unfortunately. Same for tummy pooch. It's fat, but you can get the underneath toned with abbs exercises. There's one on the free U tube video of 30D for the pooch area.:laugh:
    I don't think you can beat squats with dumbbells for the inner thighs, but their are some Pilates targeted exercises. I'm sure they are on the internet. Or just lie down, stick your legs straight up in the air, part them like scissors and with your hands try to resist bringing them back together. You can do a similar thing just sitting in a chair.
    Good luck. :flowerforyou:
    A year ago nearly, June 11th, I started on this journey. I never would have believed, at 44lbs heavier, that I would now be at the stage of refining my body. Then I just wanted not to have to buy an even bigger size of clothes and not to puff when walking along the flat! I will review how far I've come on the 11th. I have lost an elephant' s heart or a whole baggage allowance for BA. When I think how heavy that suitcase was! !!!!:laugh: :bigsmile: :noway:
    Love to all again. - keep on trucking!
    Heather in delightful Hampshire :heart:
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Joining this thread for the first time!