WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2013

Options

Replies

• peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Happy June to all! Love reading this thread.

My June goals:

:happy: Lose 2 more pounds.

:smile: Work in the yard more often.

I admire those of you who are taking care of your elderly parents. I am feeling very guilty about not doing more for my 87 year old mom. She is very independent, lives by herself, and still drives. Now, her memory is getting really bad. My brother is threatening to put her in a nursing home. If any of you have any advice for me, I would appreciate it.
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    A new day! a new month and full of promise! May we all find our days filled with many blessings!

6315_554829174560189_758519306_n.png
  • SamNicoll
    SamNicoll Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Another newbie here - well, a newbie to this thread but not to MFP as I joined in Dec 2011. Lost around 40lb in total last year (with a three-month blip in there somewhere where I gained some of what I'd lost :embarassed: and then recommitted :happy: ) but progress has been very slow over past few months following surgery at the end of January. Also, am now only round 14lb from goal (I think?) which contributes to slow down, or so I'm told! Hope to get to goal weight by Christmas and, in the meantime, am enjoying becoming fitter, healthier and reducing body fat % with a combination of swimming, strength training and dancing!

Work full-time, 2 sons, 1 delightful granddaughter, and my 52nd birthday tomorrow!

That's it for the intro - marking my place and will come back after the weekend with June goals.

Sam, in SE England
  • sunshine61250
    sunshine61250 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'll be on tomorrow since we'll be out and about all day - which will probably just wear me out! So I thought I would get caught up now and then not have so much to get through on Monday. Y'all talk a LOT! :wink: Hubby finally made it home and he's about to head to bed. He's been up for 34 hours now! :noway: I would have taken a nap as soon as I got here.

Tigress - hubby collects antique clocks. We probably have about 50 "noisy" clocks. I love the sound of them but birds ... not so much.

Kathy - I HATE it when that happens! :mad: But I love rolltop desks! They take up a lot more room than the clocks though! How did the party go?

drkatiebug - hello, hello! I had a wine habit every night that was REALLY hard to give up. I would have a glass or two after all the chores where done ... dinner, dishes, lunches for the next day ... while we were watching TV. I told hubby I REALLY missed it and he wanted to know "why". I told him I guess it was just my signal to myself that I could finally just RELAX. So he wanted to know if something else would signal that to myself as well. After thinking about it for a day or two, I decided to try a cup of hot tea every night (sweetened with cinnamon stevia). It took a few days but now I really look forward to my cup of tea every night. But I won't let myself have it unless I've drank my water for the day. It sounds like your fruit pops might be just the substitute for you! :heart:

Cindi - WELCOME! :flowerforyou:

Kay - WELCOME! :flowerforyou:

Connie - so glad your family is okay! :happy:

Sue - hope your shoulder is doing much better by now! :bigsmile:

Linda - WELCOME! :flowerforyou:

JudieJudes - of course you can! WELCOME! :flowerforyou:

zcathy - WELCOME! :flowerforyou: Where are you in relation to Janesville, WI?

katla - I've never noticed you to give too much advice. I've :heart: reading everything that you've posted.

marmalade628 - WELCOME! :flowerforyou:

Evelyn - WELCOME BACK! :flowerforyou:

Patti - WELCOME! :flowerforyou:

Robin - VERY nice! Your work gives that to you? Do they take your word that you've walked that far or do you have to show them you pedometer every day?

Sandy - WELCOME! :flowerforyou:

Joyce - I could hear you screaming all the way here in Norway! Congrats!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Liz - good afternoon to you as well! I hope you had a great day!

runningcats - WELCOME! :flowerforyou:

Vicky - WELCOME! :flowerforyou:

peachstategal - Happy June to you too! I don't have much advice for you ... especially as I seem to always be looking for advice myself, but there are some wonderful ladies here that I'm sure will help.

texasgal - LOVE your picture welcoming June!

Sam - WELCOME! :flowerforyou:

Night y'all!

From a very tired :yawn: Joy in Stavanger, Norway.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new people.This is an awesome group.Lots of love and support.
    HUGS
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Peaches, are there any senior living centers in your Mom's area? my Mom lived in a small one. I think they had 50 apartments. There are several quite large ones here also but she liked the small more personal one. Plus it was in an old retired teachers complex and over 100 years old so it has all the antique look like she loved so much. Served 3 meals a day, 365 days a year, lots of activities and an activities director that really cared about each individual resident. They did charge extra if a resident needed help such as medicine reminders, bathing, diaper changing , etc. Also My Mom found out that since my dad was a veteran she qualified for veterans widow pension benefits which allowed her to go from a small studio apartment to a 2 bedroom apartment. She was very happy there.

Just got back from the Y. i am finding out if I start out with my most difficult strength exercise, then go to the bike and then go back over to the other strength exercise I can complete them all. I don't like it that my left arm is weaker than my right. I am left handed but that's what MS can do. I did burn 456 calories today! It would have been less but I wanted to finish the show on HGTV so I stayed on the bike longer!!!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Robin - VERY nice! Your work gives that to you? Do they take your word that you've walked that far or do you have to show them you pedometer every day?

Joy, the company has a web site where we post our steps or minutes of exersize. They do give you a pedometer but new this year the site will link to Fitbit so I don't have to post my steps. It just reads my fitbit upload. They do just take our word for it. But I don't think too many people cheat. It is really just to motivate you. It is kind of a hassle to log in and enter steps everyday for 2 months. I really think people do it to enjoy getting healthier. Not just for the girft certificate. Last year we got "Sports Authority" gift certificates so you really had to want something to do with fitness to earn it. This year is the Amazon one so it may inspire more cheaters. I guess we shall see. I am just glad that my fitbit will do all the logging for me.

Robin
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm, all of the assisted living places here are around 4,000 to 5,000 dollar a month. She owns her house but it is not worth enough if we sold it to keep her in one but a few years. Her mom lived to be 96. There are five children in our family and we are all helping her now with finances as she only gets a very small SS Ck each month. She and my father divorced after 37 years. She then married again but that did not last. I don't think she's bad enough to go to a nursing home right now. It takes me about 1-1/2 hours to get to her house so I can't go every week. Thanks for trying to help. An assisted living home would be just perfect but too expensive.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,735 Member
    Options
    Katie Bug.
    I am Sugarholic too:grumble: I do log it in... what I did buy is snicker's and milky way bite size candy unwrapped and did 1/2 portions and marked the bag and put them in the freezer, so when I am tempted for something. I have to go downstairs to the freezer and fish it out:embarassed: the snickers for 4 piece's are 95 calories, and milky way for 4 piece's is 90 so it wont send you off the deep end and when frozen they take a long time to chew...
    I was very good for the picnic- I grilled a chicken patty and had it on a multi grain flat, I made grilled asparagus for the first time, and that was a huge hit.. and boy was that tasty.. definatly gonna make that again. the downside was I did have 3/4 cup of macaroni salad, and 3 brownies,but logged it all, and have had 64 oz of water so far today..it is 98 by our outdoor thermometer,but that is right out in the sun, but I am guessing mid 90's anyway..
    finally got to skype with my girls today it has been ages since I talked with them.. it was wonderful..
    So all in all has been a wonderful day.. hope everyone is enjoying there weekend:flowerforyou:
  • nonnicee
    nonnicee Posts: 38
    Options
    Thanks to all the ladies that posted good wishes on my page in regard to my most recent weigh-in. I appreciate that you keep up with me even when I am absent from this thread. There is already too many posts in June to even begin to comment on each one. I noticed alot of newbies...WELCOME! This site is full of the best people!!!

As to my absence, I had an epiphany in regard to my housekeeping, or lack thereof. I had been convicted in my soul about my "Pile Everything Room" and the rest of the house in general and had decided that things had to change. Within a day of that decission, DH announced that he could not live like this anymore. We had a talk and I agreed with him that we shouldn't live like this anymore and vowed to begin the make-over in the house. I have made great progress, but there is still a lot more to get done. He is still with me, but it is tense in the house.

There are complications due to a young woman that we became acquainted with and unoffically "adopted". She is partial to my husband and prefers to communicate with him via text---A LOT!!! My DH is a caring and compassionate man and he became sorry for her when her live in boyfriend deserted her. DH helped her and her 3 yr old daughter get a place to live, helped paint and clean the place, got her belongings moved and I thought she was settled. Then there is car trouble which she texts him about, etc. We also babysat the child today while she was working. It is my belief that the young woman would really like for this to go farther that it is, that she has designs on my DH.
    I trust my DH implicitly and believe him when he says he is just trying to help her. However, my suspicious mind works overtime and I worry despite myself. There is still some tension in regard to the housekeeping, and I believe that will resolve itself as I continue to clear out the clutter.

I would request that any of you ladies that believe in the power of prayer join me in praying for an end to this situation. The texts have slowed somewhat in the last week and I hope they will stop very soon. I really don't mind helping with the child on occasion, she is a sweet child and can't help what her mom does. DH and I have been married for almost 40 years and my intention is to live the rest of my life with him.

I am sorry to spill my guts on a subject not related to our weight loss journey. I believe that part of my weight loss is a direct result of the stress of this situation. Believe me this is not the way you want to lose weight...

There is no-one that I can talk to here to help me work through this, and I really am in need of emotional support.

On a lighter note, GOD is good and the things that happen help to make us stronger.

My June goals -

continue drinking plent of water
    eat plenty of the lovely vegetables that are beginning to come out of the garden
    walk part of my driveway every day (it is very steep, and I am not able to walk the whole thing)

Thanks for your encouragement,

Mary C from TN
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi to all my vitamin F pals! I am totally exhausted after the auction! Despite the rain, it was a huge success in that we got rid of everything other than 3 small boxes which will head to goodwill tomorrow. Things went really low price-wise because there were tons of dealers there who really bid things low. But I really don't care; after 5 huge garage sales and now the auction we can actually use our garage! We have this wonderful 5 car garage and have only been able to get one car in. so we are really excited about it even if we didn't make a ton of money!

We sold all DD#2;s furniture, so tomorrow is shopping. We had told her she could have new furniture for her 17th birthday to keep (DD#1 got the same) and thought this would be a good time to get rid of it! So her room is empty!

Going to a movie with some friends tonight...I hope I wake up.

Take care to all. Prayers to all in Oklahoma and Missouri who were affected by the weather yesterday. I was glued to the Weather Channel all night. I am so grateful for just some rain and all my friends here. Take care, meg from Omaha where the garage is cleared out!
  • NewLuna
    NewLuna Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am so pleased to had found the 50+ ladies!!

I would still consider myself a Newbie, but for those that have just posted the first time, keep posting. Eventually you will see the kindness and support that I have found.

I have a large amount of weight to drop, but am not discouraged from the amount . . . just impatient, ha,ha.
    But every day is a new day (my mantra)

My May goals? well not perfect but a good start. I wanted to post in food diary daily.
    Of course, drop some weight, and I have.

In June, improve on my logging into my food diary, drop weight.
    I didn't have any intention of adding the exercise as of yet. But today heard of a Zumba class at one of our local churches. They meet 2 times a week (starting 2 weeks from now).
    So I'm going to resolve at least a try. Not sure if I will be biting too much off on this. But . .. I won't know, until I try.

I thought I would take selfie shots so I could make comparisons. For me, to remind myself where I've been for further determent of ever wanting to be that big again. And for people like me that frequent the before and afters of others as I love to see the inspiration they bring.

Since I am very private I took them without my head. This has become somewhat of a conundrum as I chose to somewhat bare all . . . well, ha,ha . . . somewhat all. But for me, even being in a bra is rather exposing to much. I mean who wants to show off their rolls?
    The problem lies in that after taking them, I wasn't sure what to do with the pictures. I don't wish to post until I have afters.
    So I plan to print and hide them. Aren't I a chicken?

So here we go into the month of June. Hope everyone reaches their goals.
    Everyday is a new day!!

Luna - Gulf of Mexico
  • juliewish
    juliewish Posts: 2
    Options
    First of June, first day here, first of many pounds to lose, first of many steps towards a healthier future.
  • LillieMaesMom
    LillieMaesMom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thanks, Barbie, for your inspiration!

I really appreciate the kindness and encouragement (especially from you, DeeDee :smile: ) that comes from the ladies on this thread. MFP has been an invaluable tool, helping me track calories/nutrition/exercise, especially now that I'm doing more food "on my own." I've been on the Jenny Craig program since late November, and am about 2/3 of the way to goal.

Finally I've realized that this isn't a "diet" that has an end, but is a healthy lifestyle change that I must maintain, per doctor's orders. Thanks in advance to all of you for your help making the weight loss a permanent thing.

For June:

:happy: Eat more fresh fruits and veggies
    :noway: Amp up the activity - include some weight training
    :drinker: Increase water intake
    :blushing: Continue skin regimen to help rehydrate/tighten loose skin

Pam, from Columbus, IN
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    I've been slowly thinking of June goals especially since I have never set any goal! I checked today to see how many steps I had taken and it was 6000. So I think 8000 steps a day in June, or at least walking 8000 steps by the end of June. Keep sodium to 2000 mg a day. Lose 3 pounds by the end of the month. That's it for now, I may add more
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Have decided my goals for June: walking average of 8500 steps a day now would like that to be more like 10,000

use my new digital scale more keep better check on portions & drink more water

Thanks to all who reach their goals and make me want to move my butt and make some of my own!!

Juanita in sudbury
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    That will be me tomorrow morning. Me - 10k - superwoman/goddess.

WW2.jpg
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    Is there a way that I can put my goals on every post without writing it?, kind of like a signature???
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Goodness, what a hot day in Atlanta! I ended up doing yard work from ~10a - 2p, which has really wiped me out for tonight. Couldn't get the mower to start so I tapped out the air filter and put it back in, but it still wouldn't catch. Finally left it in the garage for DH to figure out tomorrow before he goes to work. I trimmed most of the yard edges, but then couldn't charge the batteries fast enough, so will finish tomorrow. I transplanted day lilies and irises from under the redbud tree to sunnier climes. They didn't/haven't had a bud or bloom, so I think the shade was too deep.

I also discovered several dig spots/burrows around, and think it might be the bunny I see around. (Hope they aren't breeding!) THEN, when attaching a hose on the side and sliding it behind the rosemary bushes I found a little nest with 2 eggs inside. Seems a little late to me, so maybe something happened to mama, but I left it alone and will monitor to see what happens. (DH suggested they were chocolate eggs left by the bunny.)

Have paid the first of the month bills and done laundry, but not much else. Made a tasty dinner of salmon, baked potato, steamed yellow squash/onions, and a salad of cucumber/tomato. With being outside I've had about 20 cups of water today. I've had lots of leg cramps / muscle spasms overnight of late and have been taking extra potassium - DH says from flushing my system with so much water, but I don't know about that. Hope it is better tonight.

I should really go into work over the weekend, but sure don't feel like it, so may not. We'll see...

My neighbor went on a mission trip to Haiti last week and tomorrow night I'll get to hear about it when we walk (after the sun goes down!). She is a sweetie, about the same age as our oldest son, but our pace is well-matched and we never lack for a talking point. I also received an invitation to another neighbor's baby shower -- her third baby, but first boy. They are such a nice family and so excited for the new arrival (due late August).

Sweet dreams to all--

Gail, metro HOTlanta!! ...and it isn't even summer yet....
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kathy in IL: I lost one too many posts after putting a lot of work into them and started opening a word document to the side of MFP and making all my comments in the word document. Then when I’m ready, I copy and paste it into MFP. I haven’t lost a comment since.:bigsmile:

Brooke fro CO: It is good to see you again. I don’t know if I’ve missed your posts or you’ve been absent for a few days. I always enjoy what you have to say.:flowerforyou:

Patti in NH: I just had ice-cream. Yum. I make myself earn it. Today it was bike riding for two hours. Since I like bike riding, I got two treats, and once of them earned me enough calories for the other.:wink:

Robin: Your “on the move” challenge at work sounds interesting. Maybe it will help offload some of the stress caused by "she who won't be named." :flowerforyou:

Sandy from Ontario: You sound brave and stalwart. I love that you are working with your daughter to get healthier.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: Congratulations! :flowerforyou:

Liz from Halifax: I share the need to drink more water. I do well for a while and then backslide. :ohwell:

Sue from CA: Lifestyle change is the way to go for long-term good health. You are smart.:bigsmile:

Peachstategal: II wonder how serious those memory problems really are. It couldn’t hurt for your mom to have a physical assessment that includes her mental faculties if both you and your brother are noticing problems with her memory. Maybe you’re worrying unnecessarily and maybe you’re right to worry. It would help if you knew for sure. :flowerforyou:

Luna- Gulf of Mexico: You’re braver than me, and I admire you for taking pics.:blushing:

I had a good day today. DH and I rode our trikes together, along with the dog. He loves to be included. We clip him onto a trike in a position where he trots along right beside the rider. Since they’re recumbent trikes, he’s not going to tip one over. We stopped at a local eatery for ice cream. DH and I shared a peanut butter fudge cone, and I bought the dog a vanilla child’s cone. All of us enjoyed our treat. We kept on riding and earned every lick.:bigsmile:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon