Addicted to 2% milk, is it bad for me?

Options
kckBxer396
kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
I love 2% milk. I drink it with breakfast and dinner, which my friends say is weird,but that's how I was raised. Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night craving a glass of milk. If it's late and I'm starving, that's what I have..Generally, if I pour myself a glass, I drink it straight down and refill it half way to sip on. I love milk,and, other than the Milk Your Body ads, I've heard that it isn't good for an adult's body. Someone, please tell me that isn't true.

Replies

• cwilliams080676
    cwilliams080676 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    There will be the dairy police here soon, but my take on it is if you can tolerate it, it is fine. I avoid it because it makes me bloated. I am with you on the loving it though<3
  • LilMissDB
    LilMissDB Posts: 133
    Options
    I think it's healthy. It's one of the most nutritionally dense foods!
  • kckBxer396
    Options
    As long as it fits in your caloric intake then go for it. It's something you truly love so why give it up. As long as you're willing to swap out those 200-240 calories from solid food to milk then go for it.

abandon about 300 calories worth of solid food for milk? No problem!!!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    No issues with it. I drink 1% but I'm thinking of switching to 2% or even whole milk since I don't drink it that often. It's mainly for my coffee and cooking.

ETA; Why would it be bad for adults? You still need calcium regardless of your age.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    NO, it's not bad for you ......
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Lol, I don't think any type of food is bad for you! At least not when taken in moderation anyway. As for me, I only take 3.25% homogenized milk. I can't take it anyway else lol. *hides from health police*
  • kckBxer396
    Options
    There will be the dairy police here soon, but my take on it is if you can tolerate it, it is fine. I avoid it because it makes me bloated. I am with you on the loving it though<3

This made me laugh so hard. I know the thing about the dairy police is true. I'm always hesitant to post anything in the forums. It seems that for every helpful comment, there are comments that will hurt my feelings, make me angry, or just want to criticize me. tsk tsk.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So long as you tolerate dairy just fine and it fits in your calorie goals, it's fine...anything and everything is fine so long as you don't have a medical condition and it fits your calorie goals and you're otherwise getting the nutrition your body needs.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Milk is great if it doesn't give you digestive problems. It's a good source of two kinds of protein--casein is slow-digesting and keeps you full, whey is absorbed fast and helps in recovery after exercise.

Don't listen to the dairy police. If you're worried about calories, you could switch to 1% or even skim (not my favorite, I prefer some fat in my food).
  • soulmatesnvrdie
    Options
    I love milk too but after realizing how much sugar I was taking in just from that, and extra calories I could be eating lol, I ended up switching to light original soy milk. Not everyone likes soy or almond milk though, but they also have vanilla and chocolate varieties which are delicious to try at first.
  • Abstraktimus
    Abstraktimus Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I loved milk, absolutely loved the stuff (probably drank three pints a day) I switched over to Almond milk and I'll never go back, the stuff is just too damn good.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I drink whole raw milk right out of a Jersey cows nip with the cream and all, so I definitely don't think 2% is bad for you.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    It isn't true.
  • kckBxer396
    Options
    No issues with it. I drink 1% but I'm thinking of switching to 2% or even whole milk since I don't drink it that often. It's mainly for my coffee and cooking.

ETA; Why would it be bad for adults? You still need calcium regardless of your age.

I can't drink whole because it makes me sick....blegh. I'm not sure why it would be. I mean, it's milk!!!. I've heard stuff like, "Mammals don't need it after they've been weaned,and humans are mammals, so they don't need it when they get older. It's bad for you." or "Milk has too much fat content,and adults can't process it, so it will make you fat." just junk like that. It seemed like it was reaching to me,but I'm not an expert, so I thought I would get some second opinions.
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I used to drink milk like you say you do, but nonfat. Then I realized how much the dang stuff costs! LOL, anyway, I have slowed down on drinking it, doesn't mean I love it any less. I have also switched to 1%, and plan on some point to start using 2%, because I don't drink it as much, I'm willing to have the fat content in my diet. But like others have said, if it fits your calories, then continue drinking it as you usually do! And enjoy :bigsmile:
  • kckBxer396
    Options
    I loved milk, absolutely loved the stuff (probably drank three pints a day) I switched over to Almond milk and I'll never go back, the stuff is just too damn good.

Almond milk is amazing.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

I can't drink whole because it makes me sick....blegh. I'm not sure why it would be. I mean, it's milk!!!. I've heard stuff like, "Mammals don't need it after they've been weaned,and humans are mammals, so they don't need it when they get older. It's bad for you." or "Milk has too much fat content,and adults can't process it, so it will make you fat." just junk like that. It seemed like it was reaching to me,but I'm not an expert, so I thought I would get some second opinions.

Some adults cannot digest milk. People of Northern European ancestry and some North Africans have mutations that allow them to digest milk without difficulty. These kinds of mutations do not stick around and spread through a population unless they are adaptive.

Enjoy your milk and don't listen to anti-dairy alarmists.
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    It's better to drink 2% because we need the additional fat in the milk to help digest the vitamin D and calcium. That being said - I don't drink it nearly as often as I would like because it seems really high in sugar for me. I'm a Type 2 Diabetic
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I like 2% too and will drink a cup or a half cup if I am really hungry and its close to a meal just to take the edge off. It was interesting to read about the two types of protein. I had a trainer who used to give me a hard time for drinking milk and insisted it wasn't a good source of protein....