THE BIG STARVATION MODE MYTH.

Options

Replies

• SpazQ
    SpazQ Posts: 104
    Options
    I can say that when I was diagnosed with celiac and immediately cut out wheat, processed foods etc that my calorie intake was between 900-1200 a day, not intentional at all and I had no clue until doc asked me to log. Did I lose weight initially? Yes. Considering the amount of exercise I get I should have been a twig after a few years of this. But I wasn't. I lost a few lbs the first few months or so, then no change in body weight at all. I wasn't fat or overweight to begin with.

This 900-1200 calories went on for years. I had no idea how little I was eating, I felt full, wasn't gaining or losing. I am almost 5'9.

Right? My diet was very low carb, again, unintentional. It was meat, fruit and veggies because I was afraid of everything else.

I didn't continue losing weight but I felt fat and flabby all the time. All the time. My body composition was drastically changing and it was not pretty. My scale weight remained the same. I was lifting a few times a week and nothing was changing to get my firmness back.

What did I end up with? A severely messed up thyroid. I wasn't gaining or losing on so few calories but my body was changing for the worse. Vitamin deficiencies galore.

Who changed that? My homeopathic doc.

Long term calorie restriction without a diet break can wreak havoc on your thyroid. For females it wreaks havoc on hormones as well.

By all means, if you don't give one iota about your body composition and just care about the number on the scale, keep cutting calories.

Calories in calories out applies to HEALTHY people. People who have not damaged their thyroid or have insulin issues or vitamin deficiencies or some other issue like PCOS.
  • st0dad
    st0dad Posts: 23
    Options
    OMG, I was just about to post something about this! ^^;; I don't believe in the whole "if you eat al ittle under 1200 your metabolism is going to come to a grinding halt and you're going to gain weight instead" stuff, but just in case I went looking for articles. I found this one, which explains everything quite nicely!

http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/weight-loss/truth-starvation-mode
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I can say that when I was diagnosed with celiac and immediately cut out wheat, processed foods etc that my calorie intake was between 900-1200 a day, not intentional at all and I had no clue until doc asked me to log. Did I lose weight initially? Yes. Considering the amount of exercise I get I should have been a twig after a few years of this. But I wasn't. I lost a few lbs the first few months or so, then no change in body weight at all. I wasn't fat or overweight to begin with.

This 900-1200 calories went on for years. I had no idea how little I was eating, I felt full, wasn't gaining or losing. I am almost 5'9.

Right? My diet was very low carb, again, unintentional. It was meat, fruit and veggies because I was afraid of everything else.

I didn't continue losing weight but I felt fat and flabby all the time. All the time. My body composition was drastically changing and it was not pretty. My scale weight remained the same. I was lifting a few times a week and nothing was changing to get my firmness back.

What did I end up with? A severely messed up thyroid. I wasn't gaining or losing on so few calories but my body was changing for the worse. Vitamin deficiencies galore.

Who changed that? My homeopathic doc.

Long term calorie restriction without a diet break can wreak havoc on your thyroid. For females it wreaks havoc on hormones as well.

By all means, if you don't give one iota about your body composition and just care about the number on the scale, keep cutting calories.

Calories in calories out applies to HEALTHY people. People who have not damaged their thyroid or have insulin issues or vitamin deficiencies or some other issue like PCOS.

HOMEOPATHIC DOC?.... thats my new favourite oxymoron
  • kayaksara
    kayaksara Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    We will never agree on this subject. Understood.

I eat 1200 calories most days of the week. I do a Jillian DVD for a 1/2 hour most days of the week. I get 8 hours of sleep most days of the week. I sit on my butt all day at work most days of the week. I run my very active kids from 3pm - 10pm most days of the week. I eat lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains and protien most days of the week. If I were still hungry, I would eat more. If I wasn't getting stronger and seeing my muscles, I would eat more. If I were tired and cranky, I would eat more. I am losing weight and am seeing the muscles. I am strong! I don't recommend 1200 for most people. I am small. 5' 1". I am 43 years old. I have counted calories my whole life and have never been seriously overweight. When I eat 1600-1800 calories I gain about 2 pounds per month with my same routine above. People feel sorry for me because they think I am not enjoying my life and must be starving. Nope, completely happy with lots of energy and I enjoy what I am eating. I feel great!

Not worth fighting over. Do what works for your body. Keep it healthy. Feed your body. It needs to be nourished. I am glad I am fueling my body with what it needs. I will eat more if I see a change in anything mentioned above. But most of my life I have lived this way. Most people think I am constantly eating. Oh ya. That's right. I am! Good luck all! Do what works for you!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Someone ask this woman what her diet/exercise routine is like. I think she's got it figured out.

http://www.upworthy.com/why-s-the-86-year-old-wearing-a-leotard-oh-you-know-because-she-s-an-awesome-gymnast-2?g=2
  • sparkles9779
    sparkles9779 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You had wls, which is different then the regular person doing it on their own. Some people who are obese can lose muscle mass if they eat too few calories. You also mentioned weight lifting, hence why with your high protein intake , you didn't lose much muscle. But if you are talking about diet alone, without the weight lifting then it is highly probably for obese people to lose muscle instead of fat. As others have mentioned it all depends on your own unique make up as well, but making blanket statements is annoying..
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Beware of the trolls!

Starvation mode is a real thing, although, it seems to be misunderstood and/or way overblown in this "community." In fact, starvation mode, or whatever you want to call it, is one of the reasons humans were such good survivors back in the days before civilization and modern technology. So, the point is the environment has to be considered. Most of us on here are most likely fortunate enough to never have to worry about where our next meal is coming from. In fact, a lot of us have more food at our disposal than know what to do with. So, as a side effect, some of us became overweight or obese. People who are very overweight and obese most likely don't have to worry about starvation mode any time soon. In fact, if you are obese and are serious about losing weight, I suggest seeing a trained professional such as a medical doctor in the field or a dietician. Don't listen to people in the internet like me! ;)

For those of us that are trying to lose "the last 5-10 lbs," starvation mode COULD come into play. And I know people are going to be screaming at me about citing specific studies or scientific papers. However, let's just forget the science and think practically. I think most of us (who are not obese) want to be able to enjoy eating as much food as possible while still being about to lose or maintain weight. I like to call it the sweet spot. So, for me at least, the whole starvation mode argument is a moot point. I'm not looking to become a fitness model overnight. I just want to be healthy and feel good, and maybe get a six pack one day. So, I like to set my calories to my maintenance. That way I know the approximate point where I will start to gain weight.

That's just my philosophy. Take it or leave it.

You know, I frequent another forum on the internet, it is nothing to do with dieting and weightloss but to do with conspiracies and everytime there are people replying to threads on there that others disagree with, they love to use the word "troll" and the sentence "beware of the trolls".

People who disagree are not trolls, they just merely disagree.

Now regarding the bolded bit above from your quoted post: No, starvation mode will not come into play, if it did, nobody would ever reach their goal who had stuck to their original calorie plan. You don't want science brought into the argument lest it proves your own theory wrong, no problem with that, but it is just your opinion and there is also no problem with that, providing you don't mind other people having theirs.

Regarding losing weight on maintenance calorie levels, that is pointless to me as it would keep me at the same weight as it is not a deficit. That is what maintenance level is meant to be after all isn't it - maintaining one's weight.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I hear you bro, I'm so sick of people talking about starvation mode. It's all a load of B.S in my opinion, or the whole "Your body will start burning muscle instead of fat" LIESSSSS, your fat is there for when your body needs it, that's the whole point of fat people. Your body will only start breaking down your muscle tissue once it's fat reserves are gone.

apparently you haven't felt the sting of a bench press max going down, and down, and down. lol

it doesn't wait untill all your fat is gone.

if it did, this **** would be easy
  • SpazQ
    Options
    Lyle McDondald is one of the best in this industry ~

Starvation mode is a myth as an overall blanket statement.

Metabolic slowdown is however VERY real. Hardly ever becomes permanent but in some cases it CAN and DOES.

For HEALTHY people with no other issues.

I double-dog dare you to register at his forum and dispute staying under 1200 calories with a lot of exercise for longer than 4-6 weeks at a time.
  • SpazQ
    Options

HOMEOPATHIC DOC?.... thats my new favourite oxymoron

Perhaps you might feel differently IF it took countless regular so called doctors to diagnose something for you.

I worked in Big Pharma, know ALL about that industry. Slap a bandaid on it via a prescription instead of dealing with the problem itself.
    I made loads of money though.
  • themeaningofthemorning
    themeaningofthemorning Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    +you need carbs

not really.
    this is a joke right
    i'm not arguing this
    your body requires carbs, and it requires ~30-50% of your intake to be from carbs, according to the grand majority of doctors and nutritionists.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    dammit. people on this forum have an honest obsession with Lyle McDonald. I don't get it. He is theoretically right on everything, and has the science to back it up. However, most people on this website would have a very very hard time applying his knowledge with any kind of success. How do you tell a 300lb woman that sugar is not bad without her taking it to mean cupcake time? How do you tell a bodybuilder who has been gathering his own anecdotal evidence for a decade that doing 30 reps to failure is the same as doing 10? What do crossectional muscular glycogen analysis have to do with moms trying to lose post baby weight?

I really hate it when people fall into the trap of expertise. Because for every Lyle there is, there are those that are equally qualified and knowledgeable that dispute him on things. This is the performance nutrition industry, and nothing is certain. The research is funded by supplement companies, poorly designed, and lacks any and all real impartial study. Furthermore, if impartial study is actually achieved with good sampling, research parameters, time frame of study, you still have to worry about sample composition, whether test subjects associate with your personal case, and whether the study yielded any affirmative or negative result (usually the case is that it just gives us the answer "sometimes this is true under stringent circumstances", or "we still don't know").

My advice to you is this. There is a reason Lyle McDonald gets crippled by depression every few years. He's a thinker, and quite a genius..but this is folly for the average dieter to follow. If you've trained and studied these subjects for a decade, you may understand what he is talking about and be able to apply the concepts with real world results. Otherwise, you're truly, truly wasting your time.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    When I eventually ragequit MFP, this thread (and others like it) will be one of the main reasons.

ETA:
    +you need carbs

not really.
    this is a joke right
    i'm not arguing this
    your body requires carbs, and it requires ~30-50% of your intake to be from carbs, according to the grand majority of doctors and nutritionists.

My body requires 30-50% of my intake to be from carbs?

*facepalm*
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Beware of the trolls!

Starvation mode is a real thing, although, it seems to be misunderstood and/or way overblown in this "community." In fact, starvation mode, or whatever you want to call it, is one of the reasons humans were such good survivors back in the days before civilization and modern technology. So, the point is the environment has to be considered. Most of us on here are most likely fortunate enough to never have to worry about where our next meal is coming from. In fact, a lot of us have more food at our disposal than know what to do with. So, as a side effect, some of us became overweight or obese. People who are very overweight and obese most likely don't have to worry about starvation mode any time soon. In fact, if you are obese and are serious about losing weight, I suggest seeing a trained professional such as a medical doctor in the field or a dietician. Don't listen to people in the internet like me! ;)

For those of us that are trying to lose "the last 5-10 lbs," starvation mode COULD come into play. And I know people are going to be screaming at me about citing specific studies or scientific papers. However, let's just forget the science and think practically. I think most of us (who are not obese) want to be able to enjoy eating as much food as possible while still being about to lose or maintain weight. I like to call it the sweet spot. So, for me at least, the whole starvation mode argument is a moot point. I'm not looking to become a fitness model overnight. I just want to be healthy and feel good, and maybe get a six pack one day. So, I like to set my calories to my maintenance. That way I know the approximate point where I will start to gain weight.

That's just my philosophy. Take it or leave it.

You know, I frequent another forum on the internet, it is nothing to do with dieting and weightloss but to do with conspiracies and everytime there are people replying to threads on there that others disagree with, they love to use the word "troll" and the sentence "beware of the trolls".

People who disagree are not trolls, they just merely disagree.

Now regarding the bolded bit above from your quoted post: No, starvation mode will not come into play, if it did, nobody would ever reach their goal who had stuck to their original calorie plan. You don't want science brought into the argument lest it proves your own theory wrong, no problem with that, but it is just your opinion and there is also no problem with that, providing you don't mind other people having theirs.

Regarding losing weight on maintenance calorie levels, that is pointless to me as it would keep me at the same weight as it is not a deficit. That is what maintenance level is meant to be after all isn't it - maintaining one's weight.

Yes, unfortunately there really are trolls that have nothing to do but get everyone riled up for their own entertainment. People do this in real life too. However, I have no problem with people genuinely disagreeing with me. That was not the intention of my comment. It was more just for entertainment purposes. I find it ironic that you read into it so much.

I've learned that, with some topics, arguing is pointless and a waste of time. Most people get so obsessed with being "right" that they miss an opportunity to learn something. I am not going to waste my time trying to dig up reasearch just to proved to someone on the Internet that I am "right." If you see that as a "win" then hurray for you. I have come a long way and learned a lot with this philosophy so I am fine with "losing."

And I never said that I eat at maintenance. I just set my calorie goal to that so I know to not go over. I think you missed the point. Oh well. Sorry for trying to be reasonable.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    When I eventually ragequit MFP, this thread (and others like it) will be one of the main reasons.

Yup. I am getting tired of beating my head against the wall. It is hard to sit back and see people getting bizarre advice and not say anything. Sometimes people need the tough answer that their numbers have to be wrong and that is why they aren't losing. But no, the "starvation mode" folks swoop in and tell them they must be stalled due to that and suggest they use an even bigger number to target. When someone with a BMI of 30 or more says they are eating 1200 or less calories per day and not losing weight, odds are at least 10 to 1 that they are eating well over 1200.
  • YourLotusFlower11
    YourLotusFlower11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It all depends in your personal circumstances, body type, height, sex, activity levels etc. i felt unwell on 1200 and even 1500 I found I lose well and feel well between 1500 and 1800 so why be so strict with calories when u can still lose with a more sustainable approach.

Why u r assuming ppl r jealous and they dont want others to lose weight is beyond me they just have a different approach and opinion and shared it with you. You dont have to take anyone's advice or agree with their opinion in weight loss do what works for you it's not rocket science and btw there is no conspiracy either.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    To keep your metab up on a low calorie intake is to get at least 8 hours of sleep and eat 6 times a day and i will stand by that but their is no reason why you cant do that. I don't people got obese from eating less no that's not the way it is never was never will be. And the starvation mode is when your metab slows down so go for a walk that should speed it up too. but Regardless you will lose all the weight you need because your in a Calorie Defiant. OMG i just ate lettuce today and that's it that's my new diet I lost weight hey you lose weight HOW from eating less. people you see who actually get success long term their eating less not more. less.
    ummm what???

Meal timing has nothing to do with metabolism...you can eat six times, four times, or 24 times day and there is no benefit to metabolism...

the rest of what you typed makes no sense...
    got for a walk to speed your metab up, really? What is metab, a pill?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    To keep your metab up on a low calorie intake is to get at least 8 hours of sleep and eat 6 times a day and i will stand by that but their is no reason why you cant do that. I don't people got obese from eating less no that's not the way it is never was never will be. And the starvation mode is when your metab slows down so go for a walk that should speed it up too. but Regardless you will lose all the weight you need because your in a Calorie Defiant. OMG i just ate lettuce today and that's it that's my new diet I lost weight hey you lose weight HOW from eating less. people you see who actually get success long term their eating less not more. less.

Translator? Anyone?

Serious.

translation = eat six meals a day and go for walks to speed up metab....bahahahahahahahaha

I think that was in the new England journal of medicine..
  • ndj1979
    Options

Translator? Anyone?
    My dear fellow MFPers,

To keep your metabolism up while you are on a low caloric intake, the best way would be to get at least 8 hours of sleep, and consume at least 6 meals a day, and I will stand by that. However, there is no reason why you can't do so in another way. People in the world did not become obese from eating less calories than what perhaps you feel they should, as that is not the proper way, either now, or ever. The starvation mode is what people call it when your metabolism slows down, so what you should do instead is to partake in a walk, or other brisk exercise that will speed your metabolism back to it's proper speed. Regardless, you shall still lose weight because you are continuing to eat at a calorie deficit. My lord in heaven, I just ate a piece of greenery, in this instance a single leaf of lettuc, and that's my new diet, and I have happened to shed a few pounds. Forsooth, you lose weight from eating less, hence when you see people who have success in a long term standing, it is because of this.

*note - These are not my views, and are the views of the poster.

good translation but it is still BS...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Im not saying that to eat 1200 im saying their is no such thing as the damn starvation mode.

While you are exerting your superhuman will power you should note that as your body burns fat it will burn muscle too. Muscle is more metabolically active than fat and puts higher demands on the body than fat tissue. Yes, you will lose fat but you will also lose muscle, especially on a high deficit for an extended period of time. Your metabolic rate will slow down. This is what people mean when they talk about starvation mode. You can believe it doesn't exist all you want but it does in this context. There are things you can do to minimize the amount of muscle that you will lose while dieting but it is just how the body works. Anatomy and Physiology 101.

sorry but you have to eat nothing for 72 hours to go into true starvation mode and even then the initial effects are minimal...