40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,984 Member
    Options
    Skratchie - don't know what to say about your glee at your ex-es misfortune. But, it seems to be making you happy, so there's that....

Getting all my water in, today....so, yes, PLENTY o' trips to the washroom.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Wow...I'm in my 40's now??? How can that be??? I think I'm 18, I act 25, people tell me I look 32 but yes I"m 44. I've had the most fun in my 40's I know that and I've lost and gained weight in the last 4 years but now on my way down for the LAST time I swear! I'm doing it this year (well last year I started and I"m half way through my journey). Nice to meet y'all!!!

Love your post. :laugh: Welcome! And congrats on your weightloss! :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Newbeg and Kelly Sue, congrats on your weightloss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome job!!! :drinker:

Hello hello!! yes, I am here again. :noway: I have been doing well. I've had my slip ups here and there but not too bad. My body refuses to get down to 125. But I am not being consistent with my diet. I can eat pretty healthy most days of the week but then I have one or two days that I slip and just overdo it. :grumble: And that is not the smart thing to do at my age. :tongue: What is the whole 30 diet thing??? I love a nutrition challenge!!

I have no problem exercising, if my body lets me. LOL My feet feel ok now. I am back to teaching my classes and lifting again. I took a break for about 12 days. I am still doing ChaLean extreme. I started the Lean circuit today. Will be on it for the whole month in June.

HAVE AN AWESOME DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • swenger_rn
    swenger_rn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    40 - something here and new to the forums and chats. Have been doing great since being on MFP. It has truly been what keeps me in check with the diet and exercise. Get on here first thing in am, and leave it on my computer throughout the day to see what I need to eat, etc. I always plan 2 days worth of meals ahead of time and just make sure I have all of that at work which helps. Trying to exercise at least 3-4 days a week at work on the stationary bike and arm weights. Have lost a total of 90 lbs so far by eliminating any "white starches", and eating protein, lettuce salads, and fruit (watermelon, honey dew, cantaloupe, and strawberries). Getting at least 80 gms protein in a day. It is so fun to be able to journal everything from food, exercise, and weight, and then see the progress over time. Thank you to all the 40'ers for this chat site. Happy Tuesday to you all, and may you have an awesome, healthy, and productive week.
  • SpazQ
    SpazQ Posts: 104
    Options
    morning ladies!

Skratchie - I think that is normal. :) Cheaters get what they have coming to them sooner or later.

I hate dating, hate it. Then I met a guy who's son plays baseball in the same league with my kids and we were talking for a few weeks. He is a single dad. I respect that a lot considering my ex is a useless father. We went for a walk on the beach Friday night. All good. Was really nice. Saturday we go to dinner and I asked him why he got divorced. He tells me he cheated but so did she. Multiple times. He won't divulge any more than that info, he doesn't want to talk about it. Good enough for me, there won't be another date. He was stunned. Although I didn't know my ex was cheating when I left him, I found out about it later on and there wasn't just one. I find it the lowest form of lying and betrayal that exists.
  • gabbylab
    gabbylab Posts: 146
    Options
    Good morning! Had a great day getting in my water, and a quick walk, not so great staying within my calorie range. :grumble:
    I have better day planned out today and bumped up my walk by another 10 min.

I have to add some more exercise. I keep putting off starting the 30DS so maybe that one just isn't for me if I dread it that much. I have tried C25K in the past and I liked it, so I'm giving it a go in the morning. The last time I tried I was smoking, and now, well I'm still smoking but have switched to the electric cigarette. Gradually reducing my nicotine intake so maybe I can get over it once and for all.
  • helpers1
    helpers1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Getting all my water in, today....so, yes, PLENTY o' trips to the washroom.

True Dat!!!! I didn't get enough over the weekend, and didn't sweat much yesterday during the workout - I think it puzzled my trainer, and he really put me through the works!!!!

Went home and made 8 - YES EIGHT - homemade pizzas for when company comes this weekend. ARGH!!!!! I'll be eating salad. I wouldn't be so tough on myself if I wasn't headed for my own vacation right after they all leave....then I'll relax ....just a little.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Hi Alf!

gabby - someone once said "the best exercise for you is the exercise you'll do" - I sort of believe that! At least if you "do" the exercise, and get it ingrained in your head that this period of time is devoted to the pursuit of exercise, then you have a chance to switch up the exercise later. Form the good habit first - with whatever exercise you choose, and then once exercise is a habit, switch to heavy lifting, lol!

helpers - I always drink at least 140 oz. per day....so, I'm not usually "low" on water, but some days I aim for 160+.

I slept terribly last night.

Boo.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Getting all my water in is always a struggle for me. I don't drink a lot of anything else, but I just never seem to drink quite enough water. I will be exercising later this evening since it is my son-in-law's birthday today and my daughter dropped my grandson off early so that she could get breakfast for hubby.

Have a good day all!
  • gabbylab
    gabbylab Posts: 146
    Options

gabby - someone once said "the best exercise for you is the exercise you'll do" - I sort of believe that! At least if you "do" the exercise, and get it ingrained in your head that this period of time is devoted to the pursuit of exercise, then you have a chance to switch up the exercise later. Form the good habit first - with whatever exercise you choose, and then once exercise is a habit, switch to heavy lifting, lol!

helpers - I always drink at least 140 oz. per day....so, I'm not usually "low" on water, but some days I aim for 160+.

I slept terribly last night.

Boo.

Thanks Beeps, right now I'm believing that myself! Sorry to hear you didn't sleep well, that always makes for a long day for me.
  • Skratchie
    Skratchie Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Tried the 30DS yesterday - didn't make the gym - and my knee HATED it. I mean, H A T E D it. So ... yeah. My knee seems to currently hate anything that requires moving ... not sure what to do about that, but I'm going to try some upper body today provided nothing weird happens.

Bored out of my mind at work - looking for a new position within the company, but that might take a while.

As for water ... I try to get in about 10 cups a day, but man it's not easy. I'm not really one for additives to water, but I'm considering it lately ...

Last night wasn't so hot on the calorie front - homemade pizza tanked me. But boy, was it good. And I'm sorry, but it was totally worth the extra cals! ;-) I kind of figure this week is going to suck calorie - wise ... with the Boy graduating, and having a party for him on Friday, I'm pretty sure we'll be all sorts of busy this week getting ready, and then Friday - I'm not even going to worry about it. LOL

Have a great day, folks!
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Unlike other personal trainers, he also doesn’t recommend running at all, especially if you’re running to lose weight.

“First of all, because it’s hard on your body, and second, if you understand the science, because you promote your body to actually store fat when you do.

“If you want to run, sprint instead,” he advises.

And this is why runners are all so fat. DOH!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I totally know a LOT of fat runners....I also know some less-then-fat runners.

I don't know ANY runners that have "muscle-y" shape, frankly....not in real life, anyway (there's certainly some here on mfp).

I do a cardio-step-class every Saturday morning and the "regulars" that are in that class include a LOT of overweight women. They think because they sweat that they are doing their "exercise". Fine. But, you have to EAT LESS to get into a caloric deficit to lose weight - this part of the equation they (all) get a BIG "F" in.
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    not sure what you'd classify me as.. but i was runnign quite a bit.. 5k 24.36 and 10k 57.10 sick half my training.. im 5'5" at 180.

i ran not just distances but pace bursts.. 7mph for say one min then 9.5mph for 30 sec and so on for 3 x's then id increase the time to 45 sec and then 1min bursts. did this from 30-40 min depending how i was feeling that day.
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Just stumbled on this post - I am totally in, and thanks for having a place for those of us whose college memories are more than "last semester"!

I'm 48, and its crazy, but I'm in the best shape of my life. I've been working out since 2003 with a trainer, but only once a week, and not really serious. Last July I got ***Serious**** and started working out every day. The.Scale.Did.Not.Move I should have been pretty happy with my weight of 177. I had been as high as 240 at one point, and lost all of that on my own, though slowly. But I couldn't seem to get over the 170 hurdle. I would go down to 172, then up to 179. Down to 172, then up to 184. Up and down, but NEVER in 20 years of trying could I get to 169.

I joined MFP in March, and I'm currently 159.5 pounds. Usually I round down, but I'm keeping the .5 because it puts me in the 150s for the first time since 1992. Wow, what a great feeling. My goal is 145, but I toy with the idea of the 130s again...at 5'7" it could be done.

My concerns are: Age is a *****! As I lose weight my skin doesn't go back. Yuck. My body hurts. All the time. My doctor says it is because I work out, but I know if I didn't work out, it would hurt anyway! Nothing major, just aches & pains of old joints. I do believe the movment helps keep the old joints lubed up though. And like most of us, how can I be as "young" and healthy as I can, even as I approach the mid-century mark?

I'm very active. I do something every day. Pilates, cardio, weight training, walking at lunch, something. I also love food. Hense the 240 lbs, but I really do love to eat. Sometimes I will go for a walk just so I can have a cookie. I love snacking. A Lot. I snack too much but am working on it.

I quit drinking alcohol all together about 4 years ago. I eat as much fresh produce as I can get in a crappy climate, and try to eat "clean" whatever the heck that means. To me that means I make my own salad dressing, marinades and sauces. I occasionally make cookies from scratch, using organic ingredients. I have canned goods in the pantry, but they're all organic, low sodium and limited ingredients. By that I mean Black Beans contain "Black Beans" and maybe one or two other ingredients. If I can't pronounce it, I try not to eat it.

Bottom line is life is short, age is mean, and I love the fact that every morning I can say I'm better than I was yesterday. My own little motivator to get up and be awesome. I don't feel 48. I don't look 48 I don't think (don't look too close!) And I don't act 48. My goal is to look and feel about 33 years old by the time I hit 50 :)

Glad to be part of this group, and looking forward to being a cool kid too!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    mwilliamson - your skin "will" go back, it will just take some time - you'll see! I, too, seem stiff all the time (and I work-out all the time) and it's actually awfully counter-intuitive that when I go on vacation, and DON'T work-out, all the aches/pains go away! Frustrating!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Got a walk in last night - gorgeous sunshine!

Today, I lift - whoop, whoop!
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Hey Cool Kids!! What a day it's been so far. I usually take Wednesdays as a rest day as it is my longest day of the week for work and stuff outside my home. Not so today! We had new carpet installed at work yesterday and today was moving day! We had to clean and move all of the furniture back. It took all morning- about 3 hours total. I think I burned more calories than I do on days that go to the gym! It looks FAB though! Worth the effort.

Tomorrow is a gym day for me- looking forward to it.

Welcome to all the new peeps!

Beeps- I walked last night as well. We had a lot of sunshine, but a bit on the brisk side. It was good to get out just the same.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Kelly - I *love* how you ended up with a work-out today, at WORK, no less! How AWESOME IS THAT!!

I have changed my work-outs to meet my summer-time goals of weight-lifting for only 60 minutes per work-out day!!

I'm still doing a Venus program, just have switched from their Phase 2 program to their Circuits program. Circuits has 3 levels - I've decided to start at Level 2 (I'm not a rookie anymore!).

The way circuits work is that you have 4 mini-circuits, each day, and a mini-circuit involves 3 separate exercises that you are SUPPOSED to do, back-to-back, prior to resting. And, then you are supposed to do each mini-circuit 4 times before moving onto the next mini-circuit sequence.

Here's how I've adapted that circuit series to suit my timing:

1. I am doing all the mini-circuits (4 of them each day), but I am not doing them 4 x over - I'll aim for 3 x.
    2. I am taking rest breaks as needed - turns out I haven't completed even 1 mini-circuit without having to rest in there somewhere. Boo.
    3. It takes time to set-up the mini-circuit equipment (say deadlifts, or hip thrusts) and it takes time to take that equipment back down - I'm trying to budget that into my overall timing.

Today, the work-out was 65 minutes. I do believe, as I get used to 'what' the mini-circuits are, that I'll be able to get that time <60 minutes.

My 60 minutes likely won't include the 3 min warm-up I do, nor my stretching at the end. Which is fine.
  • AMC4x4
    AMC4x4 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Wow. A club just for us? How cool!

I'm going to be 45 in January and my goal is to be fitter than I have been since my teens by that time. My wife and I started the Power 90 back in August and made it 30 days, felt great, but then my son had his 5-year-old birthday. We had 50-60 people over, in our backyard, and it was catered, so we decided to abandon the plan for the weekend.

Bad idea. Guess what happened?

So, I started MFP and Power 90 again on Monday. It's tough starting over with the workouts, but at least I didn't re-gain the weight I had lost. I just got "less fit." My wife has had to change her diet due to medical issues, so she has already lost all the weight she needs to and is starting exercise again, but I'm on my own with the nightly workouts. Two nights down, a lifetime to go!

Glad to be here! Please feel free to add me as a friend! Cheers!