when did boycotting cardio become the cool thing to do?

Options
ive noticed in social media outlets more and more people are bragging about not doing cardio

example: http://statigr.am/p/426009128144813040_144762381

what kind of message does this send?

where is the humble explanation for this? its always some guy or girl posing with a "cardio is for wussies" message attached
you couldnt pay me to look like that guy and that is no offense to him. im sure he works hard and i could be inspired by that.
i dont understand the narrow minded view that we should all lift and get big muscles and skip cardio because weak people do it and you dont want to look weak do you? if youre a girl, you should be ripped and have a six pack. if youre a guy, you should look like an NFL linebacker. when did this become the standard? so i am wasting my time doing cardio even though i really enjoy it and ive experienced benefits from it? i am a hamster in a wheel now? im not a spartan of the gym? personally i would get more satisfaction completing the tour de france than deadlifting 1,001 lbs. but why is social media holding that against me now? im not athletic? im not alpha male?

id really like serious discussion about this because literally everyday i see these anti cardio messages on instagram, twitter, facebook from men and women alike.

just bothers me :frown: that really amazing looking, hard working people (because thats how i see them) would want the general public to fall into THEIR mold

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Everyone should lift or otherwise do some sort of resistance training as well as cardio...most people I know who are at all into fitness do both because they understand that having an all around good level of fitness requires both.

Also, I highly doubt you'd look like that in a million years...so I wouldn't worry about lifting heavy things and putting them down. Even with decent genetics and being a dude, that would take you a loooonnnnnggggg time and some serious dedication to the weight room.

Just go get your fitness on...lift heavy things and put them down and do some cardio for your heart.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    because cardio does not work your type ii muscles. weights do.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Everyone should lift or otherwise do some sort of resistance training as well as cardio...most people I know who are at all into fitness do both because they understand that having an all around good level of fitness requires both.

^ This.

The cardio bashing on this site has gotten a bit ridiculous, IMO.

I also don't judge others by what exercises they choose to do. Unless it's washing the dishes, cooking, or vacuuming. Sorry, but that ain't exercise.

NADw97D.gif
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I think people are more rejecting the hamsterwheels that are ellipticals and treadmills.
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    I think it's a response to many people who push cardio onto those who want to git fit/lost weight (for women especially). It's trying to show that there are other ways to get fit, but it is minimizing the importance of cardio at the same time. Akin to the "Real women have curves" bullsh!t.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    I agree, I lift but that doesn't mean everyone should or that there are no benefits to cardio. There are great benefits to cardio even for the people who lift. I am not really a fan of the negative ads at all, everyone has different goals and everyone enjoys different things. Keep doing what you are doing if that is what you enjoy.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options

Yup.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Straight Cardio is boring. I still do it though. I'd like to boycott it but that seems counter productive
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    For the same effort lifting weights/resistance training does WAY more positives for your physique than anything but a good diet. Also lifting shares some of the same overall health benefits of cardio.

From a physique standpoint cardio is equal to or sometimes worse than just not eating those calories you burned.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I'm 100% FOR cardio. If it wasn't for cardio I'd still be fat. I lost ALL my weight doing nothing but cardio & I have great fitness because of it. Even the PT I saw once was impressed. It took me 7 months to lose all my weight, become so damn fit I can do it all on 4 hours sleep & still be great every single day.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...for where this thread is going...

...because I predict it will be going places.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Football player vs soccer player. Just depends what you're going for.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Just realized from below who this poster is. I have no desire to support this type of person in any way.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Agreed! and ig I hear "I like lifting heavy stuff and I am a girl" Ok do what you want, but get a new line.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    ive noticed in social media outlets more and more people are bragging about not doing cardio

example: http://statigr.am/p/426009128144813040_144762381

what kind of message does this send? i think elitist, egotistical, ignorant

where is the humble explanation for this? its always some guy or girl posing with a "cardio is for wussies" message attached
    you couldnt pay me to look like that guy and that is no offense to him. im sure he works hard and i could be inspired by that.
    i dont understand the narrow minded view that we should all lift and get big muscles and skip cardio because weak people do it and you dont want to look weak do you?
    if youre a girl, you should be ripped and have a six pack. if youre a guy, you should look like an NFL linebacker. when did this become the standard?
    so i am wasting my time doing cardio even though i really enjoy it and ive experienced benefits from it? i am a hamster in a wheel now? im not a spartan of the gym?
    personally i would get more satisfaction completing the tour de france than deadlifting 1,001 lbs
    but why is social media holding that against me now? im not athletic? im not alpha male?

id really like serious discussion about this because literally everyday i see these anti cardio messages on instagram, twitter, facebook from men and women alike.
    just bothers me :frown: that really amazing looking, hard working people (because thats how i see them) would want the general public to fall into THEIR mold

I agree, it's narrow minded. I think alot of it comes from people who achieve impressive physiques without doing any cardio. This is possible of course, though I would think not exactly optimal. You're being bombarded by aesthetic meat-heads who probably dont know they're doing cardio even though they are. I mean...once I had a guy sweating through his hoodie, heaving for breath, in an all out intense weight lifting session tell me he doesn't do cardio. It looked to me like he was doing plenty of cardio....his heart rate was probably 150+ during that entire hour in the gym. So people are confused...if you are sweating through your hoodie gasping for breath, you're doing cardio.

The other thing about cardio is the fact that the fitness community has really placed high emphasis on muscle size in the past decade or so. Somehow bulky is the new black. To obtain said bulk, cardio works negatively, though to bring out the definition of that hard earned muscles, it is somewhat indispensable. Paradox, I know. The benefits of holding a healthy amount of muscle are great. Better passive metabolism, more lean matter to perform better, jump higher, run faster, lift, climb, etc....so perhaps those rubbing your nose in the no-cardio message are just surprised that this was even possible. The converse of that, of course is looking too bulky without the function that healthy, strong muscle should provide. I understand that having 21 inch arms is somehow a badge of honor, but so is being able to run 26.3 miles in under 2 hours. Both of these trophies are irrelevant in a world where food is given to us, and we don't need to fight, hunt, search or catch it. I suppose they are our modern day displays of some primal need to be strong.

Cardio suffers GREATLY from the law of diminishing returns. The more cardio you do, the more you have to do to see progress, especially in the arena of weight loss. Since it is usually taken upon in a low intensity matter, and tends to be very very carb dependent over long sessions, it's not a preferred way to be "toned" or "lean". Evidence to this is shown by the plethora of "skinny-fat" marathon runners or long distance swimmers that somehow look more anorexic, always holding a layer of subcutaneous water under their skin, with little or no muscle development, and require huge amounts of carbing up to keep to their training...at least if they're looking to beat times over distance (which I assume is any runner's goal?). No one has time to do 10 miles a day..and inevitably, if you're dead seat on doing cardio to achieve weight loss, you'll be doing more and more of it.

I guess the best way to think about this is...we should care about all aspects of performance,and try to get that to match with an "ideal" way we want to look. To me, that's the pinnacle of health and beauty.

I'm open to serious discussion. And I don't like falling into molds myself.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I lift, and do very little cardio (1-2x wkly) and I think I should be doing more for health reasons.

On this site I see lots of people "cardio bashing" to mostly females who post on here "i'm running for an hour a day 7 days a week and I really just wanna get TONED why am I not getting results HELP ME?!"
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I dunno. I lift, do some cardio, and throw in a bit of yoga for good measure. I've pretty much tailored my routine to suit my goals and interests, and don't pay much attention to what's cool at the moment (except maybe Prancercise. That's some happenin' *kitten*.).
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I get tons of exercise. I am a dancer, I do yoga, I lift weights, I walk pretty much everywhere, I play with my kids, I do some HIIT. I've been an active exerciser for my whole life. After a while, steady state cardio can be kind of boring to me. I don't run because I need some rests from doing things that place repetitive stress on my knees because I am a long time dancer. I don't bother doing cardio for cardio sake because cardio is already a built in part of my life. When I go to the gym, I am there for weights. But, that doesn't mean I judge or care what anyone else does. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about what other people do or say about cardio.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I don't think people are bashing cardio itself. It's the lack of weight training that's an issue. If you just run marathons all the time without any sort of weight/resistance training, then you slowly lose your lean mass. Muscles are important.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't care what anybody else thinks about what I'm doing with my time or my body. Post whatever article you like, put up whatever poster you want, say whatever comment you wish. Don't bother me none.

zfH9KUz.jpg