Can we find a way to help my little girl stay motivated?

Options

Replies

• CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Just reading this now. I am the daughter. Thanks to those who have added me and said such kind words. I was feeling alone and to be honest I didnt want to bother people with my problems and I want to thank my mom for being so supportive with this (means the world to me) and this actually makes me feel more motivated to prove to some that people can get a lot of something like this. I know I am going to have my off days like today but i know i can have way more like last week which I ended up losing 7 pounds from working so hard. I need to find a way to balance my life with this and I havent quite figured it out yet but... I will.

And as for my bf and I we are great together its just he doesnt know how to support me fully. I think he wants to but he cant figured out the right way to do it.

You really arent alone

we all struggle at times...it is what you DO that makes the difference,

good luck!
  • TheHorribleBlob
    TheHorribleBlob Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yeah, her biggest problem is that her man is afraid she might leave him when she gets to her goal ... so he goes out of his way to sabotage her.

If she leaves him now, he won't have to worry about her leaving when she gets to her goal. :P

What she needs is more weight loss buddies (preferably ones that are motivated). Internet buddies are cool, but it's always nice to have someone you know in real life suffering alongside you.

She also needs to listen to Eye of the Tiger.
  • cherio256
    cherio256 Posts: 219
    Options
    I have never seen such rude people in my entire life. Maybe coming from the south I'm not accustomed to people being so hateful over someone wanting help. Motivation from others can help. I would be happy to help anyone that I can in any way. I guess it just depends on how your raised though.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have never seen such rude people in my entire life. Maybe coming from the south I'm not accustomed to people being so hateful

too easy ....
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I have never seen such rude people in my entire life. Maybe coming from the south I'm not accustomed to people being so hateful over someone wanting help. Motivation from others can help. I would be happy to help anyone that I can in any way. I guess it just depends on how your raised though.

Your definition of rude must vary from what most people understand it as. I don't see a single rude person. I see people telling the truth but I don't think telling the truth should be considered rude.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

who is being "hateful"? and the south is known for lots of racism...just saying. :)
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I was raised with apostrophe re.
  • cherio256
    Options
    Haha! Racism? What does that have to do with what we are discussing here? I can guarantee that I'm not racist as I am raising a biracial child, but whatever. As Bambi said, if you don't have something nice to say don't say nothing at all. The woman who started this thread has the right to ask for help if she chooses, not hear cut the apron string and things of that nature.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I was raised with apostrophe re.

Having been born and raised in the South, I can assure everyone that we teach grammar along with a certain level of honesty. We do, however, have our pretty little things.

As for the racism comment, it is true that we have asshats in the South, but so does everywhere else. It's an unfortunate reality.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Haha! Racism? What does that have to do with what we are discussing here? I can guarantee that I'm not racist as I am raising a biracial child, but whatever. As Bambi said, if you don't have something nice to say don't say nothing at all. The woman who started this thread has the right to ask for help if she chooses, not hear cut the apron string and things of that nature.

She asked for advice on "finding a way" to keep her little girl motivated.

People gave advice.

We're all VERY sad that you did not like the advice, but no one was rude (except for you, actually) and also, it isn't even your thread so I'm not sure what you think this was going to accomplish.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    There are two books I would suggest by Tom Venuto: Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle (currently only an e-book but I believe it is being published as a physical book later in the year) and The Body Fat Solution.

Motivation is not something I can advise about, but the books do cover motivation and goal setting as well as a lot of material on reducing body fat. Motivation probably has to come from within, but knowing "how to do it" helps - even with the knowledge of how to lose weight the right way I still gained 100 pounds after losing motivation, but the motivation returned when I said to my best mate "I should really lose some weight" and his response was "You know how to do it".

The books also apply to both sexes, and some sections might be more "aha!" than others depending on the person, so he probably will get something from the books too if he flips through one.

As far as him not knowing how to be supportive, most people wouldn't know how to be. Losing weight is different to other types of things, some people need someone to listen to them, others need someone to confirm what they are doing is right, others need someone to give them a kick in the butt, others need someone who has succeeded, others need someone who is where they are now doing the same thing, others need someone to constantly ask them about their food and exercise, others need someone who has been in a worse position and got to where they want to get... assuming his problem is he doesn't know how to be supportive your one advantage is that he could probably be a pair of ears, a butt kicker, or a nagger.

Determine the type of support/accountability you need from him, and then determine if he is the right "accountability partner". It might be, for example, he won't feel comfortable challenging you a certain way, in which case someone else might be better - the same as you might not be the best choice for him if he started weight lifting and he needed "someone who has been where I am and now look how I want to look".

As with support and accountability, you can't really motivate someone without really knowing them. By knowing someone well enough, you can pick someone that you think will be inspirational to them (no guarantees) and inspiration itself might be enough for motivation.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Just reading this now. I am the daughter. Thanks to those who have added me and said such kind words. I was feeling alone and to be honest I didnt want to bother people with my problems and I want to thank my mom for being so supportive with this (means the world to me) and this actually makes me feel more motivated to prove to some that people can get a lot of something like this. I know I am going to have my off days like today but i know i can have way more like last week which I ended up losing 7 pounds from working so hard. I need to find a way to balance my life with this and I havent quite figured it out yet but... I will.

And as for my bf and I we are great together its just he doesnt know how to support me fully. I think he wants to but he cant figured out the right way to do it.

Okay, so can you have your mom call my mom and arrange a playdate 867-5309? Maybe we can go jogging together! And then maybe my mother-in-law can call your mother-in-law and arrange a bowling night for our husbands. And then all the grandma's can watch all the grandkids. The end.

P.S. My mom's name is Jenny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axLRUszuu9I

K.I.T. :glasses: :flowerforyou:
  • MooMyuu
    MooMyuu Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If motivation came solely from within, society wouldn't have need for support groups.

I think it's completely asinine to say she has to want it herself before anything else works. Obviously she WANTS it, she's doing zumba and trying her best to make good choices. The problem is her time management.

Support can make or break someone's motivation. I have seriously wanted to lose weight for years (I was suicidal for many years too because of my weight and horrible self-esteem). I developed binge eating disorder and body dismorphic disorder and nothing I ever did seemed to work which only worsened those conditions. Then I started dating my new boyfriend. He's supported me through everything, comforted me when I was depressed, and always told me how proud he was of my efforts. He's never said any discouraging things and his support has kept me going. More than that, without my zumba friends, I wouldn't find zumba as much fun and I wouldn't have stuck with it this long (hell im even going after my teaching certification!!)

Support. Means. Everything.

Without support, there is no success.
    Not having support is setting yourself up for failure.
  • cherio256
    Options
    What does that even mean? With an apostrophe?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Did...did you....just quote Bambi?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Jessie is a friend,
    yeah I know he's been a good friend of mine...
  • cherio256
    Options
    You got a problem with Bambi???!!! But really, it's true.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

Actually, I'm pretty sure it was Thumper, not Bambi. I think the concern was asking for help for a grown child who was already on the site, but had not asked for help herself and airing her daughters "dirty laundry" on a public board. With the internet you have to be prepared for people who don't sugar coat things. Ask a question and you're almost guaranteed to get 5000 different opinions and many of them will be blunt.

I wish the OP and her daughter all the best and hope the boyfriend in question will get on board with being supportive.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Jessie is a friend,
    yeah I know he's been a good friend of mine...

But lately something's changed
    It ain't hard to define...
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    What does that even mean? With an apostrophe?

It's "your car/house/opinion", but it's "you're awesome/wrong/changing a light bulb".