when did boycotting cardio become the cool thing to do?

Replies

• teshiburu
    teshiburu Posts: 262 Member
    Also,

check out these 2 both top of thier game in thier chosen sports which are very similar, one favours lifting over cardio, who is going to tell them they are doing it wrong?

hoy20181.jpg

Bradley-Wiggins-001.jpg
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,656 Member
    ive noticed in social media outlets more and more people are bragging about not doing cardio

example: http://statigr.am/p/426009128144813040_144762381

what kind of message does this send?

where is the humble explanation for this? its always some guy or girl posing with a "cardio is for wussies" message attached
    you couldnt pay me to look like that guy and that is no offense to him. im sure he works hard and i could be inspired by that.
    i dont understand the narrow minded view that we should all lift and get big muscles and skip cardio because weak people do it and you dont want to look weak do you? if youre a girl, you should be ripped and have a six pack. if youre a guy, you should look like an NFL linebacker. when did this become the standard? so i am wasting my time doing cardio even though i really enjoy it and ive experienced benefits from it? i am a hamster in a wheel now? im not a spartan of the gym? personally i would get more satisfaction completing the tour de france than deadlifting 1,001 lbs. but why is social media holding that against me now? im not athletic? im not alpha male?

id really like serious discussion about this because literally everyday i see these anti cardio messages on instagram, twitter, facebook from men and women alike.

just bothers me :frown: that really amazing looking, hard working people (because thats how i see them) would want the general public to fall into THEIR mold

Half the time, they are too damn lazy to do any cardio, they are in denial and so push that denial onto other people. The fact they start namecalling people who DO do cardio, shows they are immature and should be disregarded.

I like cardio, have always done cardio (apart from when ill or injured or was too damned lazy to get up off my butt) and will continue to do cardio as long as I am able to and I couldn't give a rat's-*kitten* what they or anybody else thinks either :laugh:

My hubby does weights, on the odd occasion I go along and do some weights, it is not a regular thing for me though, mainly because I work weird shifts and when I do do my exercise I prefer cardio, I only have so much spare time and I like to run outside, so I choose that and that's just the way it is.

Besides which, my father died of heart disease at the age of 62, one heart attack warning at 52 whereby he then cut out smoking completely, watched his weight and was very careful, but unfortunately, at the age of 62 he suddenly, without any warning dropped down dead on the kitchen floor. Now, I take after my father's side of the family, I'll continue working my cardiovascular system and even if it doesn't work in the end and I have the same fate, at least I will have given it a damn good go.

I luffs my running :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,035 Member
    Oh, and some time ago I started a post which cut through the excrement and asked women whether they think Lifters or Cardio guys would be better in bed. The consensus was 'a bit of both - but lifters would be able pull off some more interesting manoeuvres'.
    I'm a runner. This hasn't stopped me.

:love: How you doing? :flowerforyou:
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    If I'm ever chased by a bear I would like to have the strength to throw a boulder at him--- and then run as fast and far as possible. Strength + Stamina + Speed = Beating the Bear!
  • Just my two cents-

I've put on a LOT of muscle tone doing nothing but cardio.

I keep it varied (there's like 7 or 8 different activities in my diary) so I don't hammer any particular set of muscles too hard.

I try to eat plenty of protein and rest for one day a week so I can repair/rebuild.

I also might be genetically predisposed to put on muscle; all the blokes on my mother's side of the family are very muscular.

I find reps boring, so I don't do them. End of.
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    I get how a lot of people are resistant to weight training and think pure cardio is the way to go I disagree with those who say little to no cardio is the way to go. I have done just pure cardio. In fact, I did only running and had to quit because my knees were a mess due to overuse. I managed to gain 25 lbs after I gave up running and let up on my diet. To lose the regain, I started doing a variety of fitness classes including weight training. I now see the benefit of weight training. I am currently doing both! The best of both worlds I believe. For me, its a balance between the two. I don't try to push my opinion on anyone though.
  • alliebeth88
    alliebeth88 Posts: 59 Member
    I lift 3x/week and do cardio 3x/week. But MY cardio is HIIT and playing sports kind. Not the steady state running on a treadmill/elliptical/stationary bike.

Cardio doesn't fulfill me. It doesn't make me feel good about myself. Lifting DOES.
  • bwnorton
    bwnorton Posts: 100 Member
    I personally think that everybody should do what is right for them. I don't like cardio bashing any more than I like weight training bashing. I relax by taking 20 mile bike rides. I don't expect my friends or anybody else to find it as relaxing, nor do I judge them for it. It works for me. Do what works for you. It's your body and your life.
  • Fox_Trot
    Fox_Trot Posts: 9
    Cardio and weight training are both beneficial to the human body. You have to do both to get the full benefits of working out and/or to lose weight. Depending what kind of results you want. I have taken on some weight training classes, over and above cardio training, and I can already see a massive result in my toning. From a personal perspective, I would rather look slim, with well defined and toned then just look slim. So try out some weight training and see for yourself how your body responds. :-)
  • Any excercise is good.

Even if it is just doing normal activities at a faster pace. And that includes vaccuuming!

If you want to have big muscles, use weights. However the 'ripped' physique is not a standard physique. It reqiures traianing over and above ' normal' limits. It is perfectly reasonable to lose weight by dieting and take general exercise to remain fit and healthy.

However muscular fitness is not the same as cardio vascular fitness.

If i had to choose one to maintain a healthy lifestyle, it would be cardio every time to increase longevity, mainatain good health and maintain healthy bones.

Ignore the cardio bashers. A fit heart is a healithy heart.

And before you all ask, yes, I am a doctor.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    I think everyone should do both to lose the weight. Both have definitely helped me (even though I am only half way to my goal). But also, everyone should do what they want, it's a free world here and lots of strong opinions on what people should and should not do. I guess it depends on what type of body you want. I see the wafer thin girls on the treadmills with no muscle tone, I don't want that body, nor do I want to be a female body builder, something in the middle would be nice.:flowerforyou:
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Also,

check out these 2 both top of thier game in thier chosen sports which are very similar, one favours lifting over cardio, who is going to tell them they are doing it wrong?

hoy20181.jpg

Bradley-Wiggins-001.jpg

I GUARANTEE they do weight training first off. Secondly, comparing yourself to a top level athelete is a waste of time.
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Everyone should lift or otherwise do some sort of resistance training as well as cardio...most people I know who are at all into fitness do both because they understand that having an all around good level of fitness requires both.

^ This.

The cardio bashing on this site has gotten a bit ridiculous, IMO.

I also don't judge others by what exercises they choose to do. Unless it's washing the dishes, cooking, or vacuuming. Sorry, but that ain't exercise.

NADw97D.gif

HAha, I think the same thing because those are just a part of daily life.

I do both, I do much more cardio than Lifting though I find that cardio helps me loose weight better but I do see the need for lifting and I lift three times a week.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    All lifters do some form of cardio, whether it be LISS or HIIT, just as all endurance athletes do some form of strength training. To think that it has to be one extreme or the other, you'd have to be an idiot. Balance, folks, its all about balance.

Plus, you can't tell me my timed dynamic effort lifts aren't producing some sort of cardio benefit.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Whatever gets you off the couch and gets your body moving.... DO IT!

Nuff Said!
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Any excercise is good.

Even if it is just doing normal activities at a faster pace. And that includes vaccuuming!

If you want to have big muscles, use weights. However the 'ripped' physique is not a standard physique. It reqiures traianing over and above ' normal' limits. It is perfectly reasonable to lose weight by dieting and take general exercise to remain fit and healthy.

However muscular fitness is not the same as cardio vascular fitness.

If i had to choose one to maintain a healthy lifestyle, it would be cardio every time to increase longevity, mainatain good health and maintain healthy bones.

Ignore the cardio bashers. A fit heart is a healithy heart.

And before you all ask, yes, I am a doctor.
    According to the CDC the leading cause of death in USA is still heart disease. Ideally I should do both cardio and strength training (also recommended by the CDC), but if I only have time for one then cardio is first. Nowadays exercise is important enough for me that I always make time for both.
  • rummyqueen
    rummyqueen Posts: 150 Member
    I lost all my weight from cardio first then I use weights.You need cardio to get heart rate up high then you can do weights...there are tons of cardios you can do that are great ,fun and fast and works.I use the quick fitness from Gilad and Leslie Sansone, i love them and I just went up to 10 lbs in weighs,I don't want to get bulky so to me lighter weights are better for me.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    I lost all my weight from cardio first then I use weights.You need cardio to get heart rate up high then you can do weights...there are tons of cardios you can do that are great ,fun and fast and works.I use the quick fitness from Gilad and Leslie Sansone, i love them and I just went up to 10 lbs in weighs,I don't want to get bulky so to me lighter weights are better for me.

Sorry, but this just isn't true. You don't NEED to do cardio first. I get my heart rate up pretty high from lifting, most people do if they aren't dilly dallying around in the gym.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    I didn't read through this whole thread, but I wanted to add my .02.

I don't think, at least in my MFP circle, anyone is name-calling. No one is saying cardio is BAD, per say. However, straight cardio mostly benefits those training for something like a marathon. HIIT or tabata style cardio is much healthier for your heart and cardiovascular system and even calorie burning than going for an hour run where your heart rate hovers around the same number the whole time.

And it is PROVEN that weight lifting or some sort of resistance training is imperative for women, to help ward off osteoporosis. It helps support those bones, and as you get older, those bones get weaker. If you don't have muscle to support them, you're going to end up needing a hip replacement. Or something. I certainly don't want brittle bones.

It does depend on your goals. If you are overweight, yes, straight cardio is going to help you drop weight fast. But what I would suggest is that once you've reached a healthy weight, you add in some strength training. You don't have to start squatting 200lbs, but you should start doing something. And you should probably start throwing in more HIIT routines.

It also depends on what type of body you want. Do you want a thin body without any muscle tone? That's fine. Go for the straight cardio. But remember that there will come a point when, in order for your body to maintain the benefits from the cardio, you're going to need to go harder and longer. It's the same with weights - if you want to improve your muscles, you're going to have to increase your weights over time.

Name-calling (and I haven't seen any of that) is not necessary and uncalled for if it's occurring.

But those of us saying that lifting and HIIT is better than straight cardio are NOT saying it because we're denying the effects of cardio. Believe me. We're saying because it's proven to be true. And we're not just talking about the outside of your body. We're not just talking looks. It's better for your insides and your heart as well.

I am no expert. And I have my own struggles to make my body look the way I want it to look. But I do know that lifting is going to have better long-term effects on my body than if I were to jump on the elliptical every day for an hour.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Moderate cardio is fine, it's running an ultra marathon a day that I have a problem with. Excessive cardio hurts gains. Some light conditioning is fine. I've started doing some sprint work twice a week and I go on a 3-5 mile walk every Friday. I just make sure it's after I lift. I would definitely say that lifting is much more important to me than cardio but it does have it's place.