when did boycotting cardio become the cool thing to do?

Options

Replies

• lisy28
    lisy28 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    who really cares people should find a healthy option for them and not care what everyone else does....

i like kick boxing and boxing actually LOVE it so i do that i hate lifting weight and doing all that so i dont do it

If you dont love what you do you wont stick with it anyway
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    For someone who is not trying to buff it up but simply trying to get into shape i think the right mix of cardio and lifting is the perfect fit

Unless you start pounding the roids, you won't buff up.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Careful... you'll be called a jealous female if you don't bow down to that guy's fiance with the butter face. =)

Wait...what?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    just bothers me that really amazing looking, hard working people (because thats how i see them) would want the general public to fall into THEIR mold

People in good shape aren't a part of the general public? :noway:
  • dbmata
    Options
    just bothers me that really amazing looking, hard working people (because thats how i see them) would want the general public to fall into THEIR mold

People in good shape aren't a part of the general public? :noway:

They are abnormalities in the general public these days, yes.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Careful... you'll be called a jealous female if you don't bow down to that guy's fiance with the butter face. =)

Wait...what?

I just double-taked over that one too......
  • TriFinders
    TriFinders Posts: 53
    Options
    Obsessing over weights won't add inches to your body. It depends how you eat while lifting.

which is all part of the body building process tho yes? People dedicate their lives to eating the right stuff and lifting the weights to add inches to their bodies!
    I think Wiggo needs to be smaller to move faster on the bike so will eat well, but according to what he expends.

I think Wiggo IS healthier than any bodybuilder.
    As i said it's just my opinion, but resistance training to tone and form muscle doesn't need to involve weights!

Way to quote...

All part of body building, yes, but very few are body builders. I am not a body builder. I lift to add strength, not to get bigger. I eat to maintain or lose a bit here and there. I do cardio, HARD, but sport specific movements. This way I'm fast enough to run away, agile enough to go around, or strong enough to go over someone on the football field.

Lifting isn't about body building. You're confusing the two.
    [/quote]

I think you just helped me make my point! what i was saying is that you don't NEED to lift weights to build muscle. Surely cycling/swimming provide their own resistance?
    Unless of course you want to get bigger, in which case you need to lift weights and go beyond lean muscle yes?
    I find this unnecessary for health and fitness.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing. There's some instagram pic that 'some girls put up that says something like, "Zumba? I lift." As if zumba is for wussies. I don't do zumba, but I find it offensive. It is a great cardio workout and if it's one's workout choice, then that's great! I think this whole non cardio thing is some bro science.

Not going to lie.... zumba looks ridiculous and while it burns calories and *might* be great for cardiovascular health; yeah, i would say it's for wussies.

I'll admit it. Squatting and Deadlifting heavy weights is significantly harder, more challenging, and overall burns more calories than "americanized fancy spanish dancing".

Edit to add: to the person who said "no one in particular is calling out certain types of cardio" BAM i just did.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    false dichotomy is false.

Whatever.

You're either with me or you're against me. There is no middle ground.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    Obsessing over weights won't add inches to your body. It depends how you eat while lifting.

which is all part of the body building process tho yes? People dedicate their lives to eating the right stuff and lifting the weights to add inches to their bodies!
    I think Wiggo needs to be smaller to move faster on the bike so will eat well, but according to what he expends.

As i said it's just my opinion, but resistance training to tone and form muscle doesn't need to involve weights!

Way to quote...

All part of body building, yes, but very few are body builders. I am not a body builder. I lift to add strength, not to get bigger. I eat to maintain or lose a bit here and there. I do cardio, HARD, but sport specific movements. This way I'm fast enough to run away, agile enough to go around, or strong enough to go over someone on the football field.

I think you just helped me make my point! what i was saying is that you don't NEED to lift weights to build muscle. Surely cycling/swimming provide their own resistance?
    Unless of course you want to get bigger, in which case you need to lift weights and go beyond lean muscle yes?

The problem is that although certain cardio activities have resistance and adaption, the rep ranges are high so that they work on a different type of muscle fibre. You are comparing strength-endurance adaptions to strength adaptions and they are different physiological processes.

It's apples and oranges.

You can train great strength without weights, but you need to manufacture sufficient resistance to make a handful of reps difficult. An example here would be body-weight pistol squats. On the other hand: regular push-ups for a person with a strong upper body will not provide sufficient resistance for a strength adaption since you'll be able to crank out loads of them and you'll be activating different muscle fibres.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    dbl post!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing. There's some instagram pic that 'some girls put up that says something like, "Zumba? I lift." As if zumba is for wussies. I don't do zumba, but I find it offensive. It is a great cardio workout and if it's one's workout choice, then that's great! I think this whole non cardio thing is some bro science.

Not going to lie.... zumba looks ridiculous and while it burns calories and *might* be great for cardiovascular health; yeah, i would say it's for wussies.

I'll admit it.

Squatting and Deadlifting heavy weights is significantly harder, more challenging, and overall burns more calories than "americanized fancy spanish dancing".

Harder, yes. More challenging, debatable. But Zumba is 1 billion times more fun. Not everyone needs to burn more calories than what is burned through Zumba. And fun is important.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Way to quote...

Huh?

Lifting weights =/= just to get bigger. One can also lift weights to get stronger.

(I understand that everyone has an opinion and all are free to share it...but it would be helpful to the general discourse if those opinions had fewer glaring inaccuracies.)

Edit: to fix quotes.
  • jimmmer
    Options

Huh?

Lifting weights =/= just to get bigger. One can also lift weights to get stronger.

(I understand that everyone has an opinion and all are free to share it...but it would be helpful to the general discourse if those opinions had fewer glaring inaccuracies.)

Edit: to fix quotes.

Yeah, what's up with these quotes! Took me 4 goes to straighten mine out..... must be losing my touch!
  • rainbowbow
    Options

I'll admit it.

Squatting and Deadlifting heavy weights is significantly harder, more challenging, and overall burns more calories than "americanized fancy spanish dancing".

Harder, yes. More challenging, debatable. But Zumba is 1 billion times more fun. Not everyone needs to burn more calories than what is burned through Zumba. And fun is important.

"fun" is relative term. I personally enjoy looking at myself in the mirror lifting some heavy **** blasting my own music and feeling like a badass.

I personally would take no joy stumbling around doing ridiculous "dance" moves in a small room crowded with hot sweaty women listening to terrible music. But hey, again, that just me.

to the actual OP- I guess it depends on WHY you are exercising Are you trying to create a deficit and just have general health benfits? Do some cardio.

Are you trying to lose mostly fat, retain muscle mass, look food once you get to your "goal weight"? Lift heavy weights/resistance training.

Want BOTH? Do some combination of the two.
  • freebirdjones
    Options
    ive noticed in social media outlets more and more people are bragging about not doing cardio

example: http://statigr.am/p/426009128144813040_144762381

what kind of message does this send?

where is the humble explanation for this? its always some guy or girl posing with a "cardio is for wussies" message attached
    you couldnt pay me to look like that guy and that is no offense to him. im sure he works hard and i could be inspired by that.
    i dont understand the narrow minded view that we should all lift and get big muscles and skip cardio because weak people do it and you dont want to look weak do you? if youre a girl, you should be ripped and have a six pack. if youre a guy, you should look like an NFL linebacker. when did this become the standard? so i am wasting my time doing cardio even though i really enjoy it and ive experienced benefits from it? i am a hamster in a wheel now? im not a spartan of the gym? personally i would get more satisfaction completing the tour de france than deadlifting 1,001 lbs. but why is social media holding that against me now? im not athletic? im not alpha male?

id really like serious discussion about this because literally everyday i see these anti cardio messages on instagram, twitter, facebook from men and women alike.

just bothers me :frown: that really amazing looking, hard working people (because thats how i see them) would want the general public to fall into THEIR mold

It's just that the info we've gotten since the 80's was low cal low carb do cardio and light strength training. You spin your wheels and wonder why your bum isn't perky and you still have a bit of a skin hang under your arms. Not only with lifting did I lose 7 inches I got rid of cellulite when they used to claim you could only do that with cream that never worked.
    Lifting pulled my skin tight and yes got rid of cellulite, I lost 7 inches with less effort and more food than I could have if I didn't get this info. Everyone deserves the gift of this info and any of the websites you visit say if you want to cut to do cardio and if you want to up your endurance do cardio. But honestly we deserve this info and how to achieve the look we want and sorry but Im glad I didn't have to spin my wheels eating low cal and running my *kitten* off. Im sorry you feel this way but if I didn't see that info I would be upset, so you were upset because you seen it. It almost makes you think not every person is the same.
    If someone asked me I'd say eat more & lift heavy and I have a list of answers I would give them for my personal decision.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Hmmm, I might need to try zumba, even if it isn't maine zumba.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options

I would have gone to this zumba studio.
    http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/05/31/maine-zumba-prostitute-wright-sentenced-to-jail-time/

A friend of mine owns a gym outside Portland. She hired that woman to teach zumba classes at her studio a few years before her umm...other business picked up.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options

As a die-hard Gone With The Wind fan, I must point out that Rhett Butler actually said, "Frankly, i don't give a damn". People have added in the "my dear" over time for dramatic effect.
    At the risk of being obnoxiously pedantic, it was the "frankly" that was later added. Rhett says "My dear, I don't give a damn" in the book and "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" in the movie.

While we're at it, can we acknowledge that what Hamlet actually said was "Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio..." He never said he knew him "well."

What can I say? I'm something of a scholar. :laugh:

(And I'm not touching the cardio vs. strength thing; no desire to bite that meaty hook.)

"a fellow of infinite jest"

A body like that + quotes Shakespeare = :love:

Let's get some good cardio in... and bring your weight belt! :wink:
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    No one is boycotting cardio. The popular opinion on fitness changes with the times. You can get into shape and maintain your fitness in many ways other than lifting heavy in the gym and doing HIIT workouts. It all depends on your individual goal and what you want to look like. I am personally very happy doing a variety of things, because I have workout ADD. In order to keep myself exercising consistently, I need to change up my workouts. I run for a while, then I get bored. I do Zumba for a while, then I get bored. I've used kettlebells, done Stronglifts in the gym, and I've done a bunch of DVDs. I do use weights at least 2x a week, but I do what I want for the rest of the week. I just can't do the same thing over and over and over again. But that's just MY personality. To each his own.