when did boycotting cardio become the cool thing to do?

Options

Replies

• edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You have to have a mix of all cardio strength go hand in hand all the Les Mills classes combine cardio with strength every single class has parts that build muscle and get the ticker pumping ...
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I kinda zipped through the responses, and I've been writing this reply for a while, so I might be repeating someone, here.

I think a good bit of it has to do with how being skinny / weighing as little as possible used to be treated as the holy grail of fitness and weight loss and that cardio was THE way to get there.

Much of this is something of a counter movement arguing:
    1) Simply being skinny does not always mean you're in the healthiest condition you could be.
    2) Losing / watching your weight level is not as important as losing / watching your FAT levels (although they are often connected)
    3) Weight training, a discipline formerly stereotyped as the realm of bodybuilders and athletes, is still valuable for normal people looking to simply improve their overall health.
    4) Cardio does burn the most while you're exercising, but building muscle helps you when it comes to burning calories when you aren't exercising.

In my case, I'm in the same camp as many others. I do both. I use resistance training to develop strength and help burn fat, and I use cardio training to keep my heart and lungs working in order so that they can supply the muscles with oxygen and nutrients they need to do their thing.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's just that the info we've gotten since the 80's was low cal low carb do cardio and light strength training. You spin your wheels and wonder why your bum isn't perky and you still have a bit of a skin hang under your arms. Not only with lifting did I lose 7 inches I got rid of cellulite when they used to claim you could only do that with cream that never worked.
    Lifting pulled my skin tight and yes got rid of cellulite,

How did lifting "pull your skin tight" while you were losing inches? Are you saying lifting weights shrinks skin?
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options
    If I'm ever chased by a bear I would like to have the strength to throw a boulder at him--- and then run as fast and far as possible. Strength + Stamina + Speed = Beating the Bear!

LOL. And after you knock him out with the boulder, you can do this!

bench%20press%20a%20bear.jpg
  • getfitcharles
    Options
    It irritates me a lot to see stuff like this. I work out. I do weights as well as traditional cardio. I'm not muscular and can't lift a lot and don't even WANT to look like those huge guys you see in the weights area. What I do want is to be fit and healthy overall. Lifting heavy things probably won't improve my stamina much. You don't even need to go to a gym at all. I do, but it's a way to make myself feel much more motivated about fitness and I put in tons more effort and can easily do a lot of varied exercises when I'm there.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

As a die-hard Gone With The Wind fan, I must point out that Rhett Butler actually said, "Frankly, i don't give a damn". People have added in the "my dear" over time for dramatic effect.
    At the risk of being obnoxiously pedantic, it was the "frankly" that was later added. Rhett says "My dear, I don't give a damn" in the book and "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" in the movie.

While we're at it, can we acknowledge that what Hamlet actually said was "Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio..." He never said he knew him "well."

What can I say? I'm something of a scholar. :laugh:

(And I'm not touching the cardio vs. strength thing; no desire to bite that meaty hook.)

"a fellow of infinite jest"

A body like that + quotes Shakespeare = :love:

Let's get some good cardio in... and bring your weight belt! :wink:

Lol!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing. There's some instagram pic that 'some girls put up that says something like, "Zumba? I lift." As if zumba is for wussies. I don't do zumba, but I find it offensive. It is a great cardio workout and if it's one's workout choice, then that's great! I think this whole non cardio thing is some bro science.

I would have gone to this zumba studio.
    http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/05/31/maine-zumba-prostitute-wright-sentenced-to-jail-time/

A friend of mine owns a gym outside Portland. She hired that woman to teach zumba classes at her studio a few years before her umm...other business picked up.

No way. hahaha.
    Well, that is *one* way to lose a competitor.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    If I'm ever chased by a bear I would like to have the strength to throw a boulder at him--- and then run as fast and far as possible. Strength + Stamina + Speed = Beating the Bear!

LOL. And after you knock him out with the boulder, you can do this!

benchpress-bear.jpeg?attach=1

When I went to college in SF, beating the bear meant something else entirely.
  • TriFinders
    TriFinders Posts: 53
    Options
    ohhhhhhhhhhh so if people are using weights to get 'stronger' and not 'bigger', that must be why i keep seeing endless photos of people posing in front of mirrors flexing their muscles...showing how 'STRONG' they are and clearly nothing to do with how BIG their muscles are.
    Enlightening!:tongue:
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that too. I do cardio because I like it, but obviously both have their benefits.
    I'm a fan of doing what I like and what works for me and not worrying about what other people are doing or think I should be doing!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I think people are more rejecting the hamsterwheels that are ellipticals and treadmills.
    I LOVE my elliptical, I think it provides a great workout. I get that it's boring to a lot of people, but that doesn't make it a hamster wheel, I can burn a decent amount of calories on mine and it gets my heart rate up faster than anything.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I think people are more rejecting the hamsterwheels that are ellipticals and treadmills.
    I LOVE my elliptical, I think it provides a great workout. I get that it's boring to a lot of people, but that doesn't make it a hamster wheel, I can burn a decent amount of calories on mine and it gets my heart rate up faster than anything.

What's wrong with hamster wheels?

Now we are boycotting cute animals?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    ohhhhhhhhhhh so if people are using weights to get 'stronger' and not 'bigger', that must be why i keep seeing endless photos of people posing in front of mirrors flexing their muscles...showing how 'STRONG' they are and clearly nothing to do with how BIG their muscles are.

I know right.

When I walked into football camp as a freshman in college I was 174, 33" waist, benched 225.

When I walked out of camp as a senior I was 172, 31" waist, benched 285.

Weird, but thanks for letting me know it was to take pictures.

Some people do, some don't. Very FEW people lift weights to get bigger. It is extremely difficult to actually get noticeably bigger by lifting.
  • TriFinders
    TriFinders Posts: 53
    Options

I know right.

When I walked into football camp as a freshman in college I was 174, 33" waist, benched 225.

Some people do, some don't. Very FEW people lift weights to get bigger. It is extremely difficult to actually get noticeably bigger by lifting.

So you don't take pics to show us how big your muscles are?
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options

I know right.

So did you post that pic to show us how big your slice of the cake was? Or was it more about the fact that you had a nice piece of cake in your hand, and that it looked pretty damned good?
  • pcastagner
    Options

I know right.

This may be one of the most tedious lines of questioning I have ever read.

People take pictures of their changing physique for any number of reasons, from inspiring themselves and others, to accountability, to showing bigger muscles, more definition from fat loss, getting attention from people, whatever. Why is this a problem? I want bigger muscles, less fat, more definition, I want to be stronger, I want to be able to do things with my bodyweight, I want to impress someone, I want to feel wanted, I want to inspire, to be inspired.

I do resistance training. I do cardio. So what if I did one more than the other, or just one and not the other? So what if I advocate one over the other, and discuss why? Enjoy the exchange or get over it! Just please stop with the whining!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    in...for the runners vs lifters marathon!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    cardio is for the small minded...
  • pcastagner
    Options
    cardio is for the small minded...

Small minds are for the cardio? Lol
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I know right.

Nope, I don't think I'm that big, and I don't eat enough for them to "grow".