Fitness trainer told me CEREAL was bad!!

Options

Replies

• musicmint
    musicmint Posts: 469
    Options
    Had no idea cereal was bad for you since it contains wheat and carbs and sugar. What do YOU guys eat for breakfast??
    Lol, most trainers are just following information passed on by other trainers like sheep. Just a question: is your routine based around "core" training?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I recently just started weight lifting because they told me that it increases metabolism. I have been doing 30 min of elliptical and 10 minutes of vigorous swimming and maybe running half a mile sometimes...for 5 days a week. So basically too cardio focused
    I'm sorry, I'm meant the program the trainer gave you.

IDEA Fitness member

They didn't give me a plan...I don't follow a plan I do my own thing....
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I consulted a trainer at my gym once about whether or not chocolate milk was a good recovery drink after a run. She told me that I was crazy and dairy was never good to drink. She pushed a protein drink they sell there instead.

Needless to say, I didn't take her advice.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    5-6 egg whites, one whole egg and two pieces of wheat toast.

The problem with most cereals (IMO) is that they contain a lot of sugars and are processed. If you get something like Kashi or oatmeal, it is less processed and better for you. I use cereal as a snack/treat now, never as a meal. Plus, after I got my food scale and realized how small a serving size of cereal was and that I was typically eating 3-4 servings for the morning plus milk it really made me re-evaluate what I eat in the mornings with respect to calories.

^^^ This is what I do and how I feel about cereal.

Haha! Me too! I need at least a full bowl of cocoa krispies, pops, cocoa puffs, captain crunch! That's 3-4 servings! If I can't have a full bowl with a bunch of milk fit my macros, I'd rather not tease myself like that. These cereals don't satisfy me at all. It's like eating air.
  • cortezpj
    cortezpj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Is YOUR cereal "healthy"?

A while back I found a great site available through the Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity at Yale University. The site provides quick and easy to follow nutrional information on lots of different cereals. It also gives great insight into how foods (like cereals) are marketed to children.

Check it out if you're interested : http://www.cerealfacts.org/
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Had no idea cereal was bad for you since it contains wheat and carbs and sugar. What do YOU guys eat for breakfast??

Unless you are gluten intollerance there is nothing wrong with wheat, but if you want a cereal with no sugar or wheat there are plenty available. Just look for a cereal made from another grain (corn, oat, rice) with no/low added sugar.

I can't imagine any fitness trainer telling you carbs are bad. Carbs are fuel. Does he want you to cut out fruit and veggies too?
  • charlesnapolitano
    charlesnapolitano Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    some chick
  • musicmint
    Options

Unless you are gluten intollerance there is nothing wrong with wheat, but if you want a cereal with no sugar or wheat there are plenty available. Just look for a cereal made from another grain (corn, oat, rice) with no/low added sugar.

I can't imagine any fitness trainer telling you carbs are bad. Carbs are fuel. Does he want you to cut out fruit and veggies too?

She said there were OTHER ways to get carbs like chicken, protein, veggies, anything green like spinach
  • loserlee123
    loserlee123 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Eating 2 hb eggs and a greek yogurt really are filling for me for breakfast
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Lol, most trainers are just following information passed on by other trainers like sheep. Just a question: is your routine based around "core" training?

IDEA Fitness member

I recently just started weight lifting because they told me that it increases metabolism. I have been doing 30 min of elliptical and 10 minutes of vigorous swimming and maybe running half a mile sometimes...for 5 days a week. So basically too cardio focused
    I'm sorry, I'm meant the program the trainer gave you.

IDEA Fitness member

They didn't give me a plan...I don't follow a plan I do my own thing....
    Ok. Well if you get a chance, watch some of them train others. The ongoing fitness training fad is "core" training and using lots of equipment that is unstable in surface (bosu balls, stability balls, balance boards) bypassing many of the "basic" exercises in lieu of these "new" ones. Not really new, but revamped to enamor the clients into thinking that they are training in the latest programs also known as "functional training".
    I'm not against functional training, but it doesn't need to be the main focus of the program.

IDEA Fitness member
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Its frosted flakes or lucky charms and fruity pebbles and capn crunch or fruit or just no breakfast
  • pohlcm08
    pohlcm08 Posts: 61
    Options
    I think it really depends on what cereal you eat, is it packed with sugar and harmful ingredients or is it a hearty, natural cereal like oatmeal? I eat oatmeal a lot in the winter and add natural sweeteners like honey or real maple syrup. Lately I've been having fruit smoothies.. I change up the fruit depending on sales, but today was:

2 Strawberries
    1/2 cup Pineapple
    1/2 cup Pineapple juice
    1/2 banana
    1 tbsp ground flax
    1/2 cup oatmeal (uncooked)
    3 ice cubes

Ran through the food processor, YUM!! The oatmeal is basically a filler, it keeps me full longer than just fruit would and I can taste it a little but it definitely doesn't overpower.
  • musicmint
    Options
    Eating 2 hb eggs and a greek yogurt really are filling for me for breakfast

This actually sounds like a smart breakfast
  • caitlinen
    caitlinen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It's not "bad" but most cereal isn't good for you either, packed with a lot of unnecessary/not healthy sugar.

Breakfast is usually oatmeal/eggs/quark for me.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    You should ask your trainer... "are you a certified Nutritionist?"

I eat Cereal on the weekends =)

I say screw it and eat it within moderation!
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Nnnooooo.... don't take away my cheerios!!! I eat MultiGrain Cheerios every day through the week and sometimes on weekends too. Since I started back eating them instead of fruit/yogurt/wheat germ I have lost 15 lbs! Sometimes on weekends I'll eat bacon, eggs and toast but usually I have my cheerios. I refuse to give them up!!
  • Atishi87
    Atishi87 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is right. Most cereals have very poor nutritional value to junk ratio. High in sugar (most breakfast cereals) will lead you to a energy crash later on in the day and might make you over eat next meal. I treat cereal as a rare treat.

Focus on something filling like protein (eggs) and fiber (oatmeal) for breakfast.

Wonder why everyone here is advocating cereals, when they are over processed and high in sugar.
  • Atishi87
    Atishi87 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight by eating anything in moderation, but wouldn't you like to give your body the best fuel you can! :)
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not bad. I see this so often (that they are) that my head spins. Here's a question: how do you get fiber without carbs?

Answer: you don't. Not naturally anyway.

Refined sugars are bad, simple carbs CAN be bad, but CARBS in general ARE NOT bad for you!!

I eat Oatmeal, Wheat Berries and Chia with Agave Necter for breakfast EVERY DAY. It has been a large part of my weight loss.

My balance today is 55% carbs, 25% protein and 20% fats. By doing this I get much closer to my needed 38 grams of fiber a day (30 with today's projected meals) and plenty of energy throughout the day and for my cardio workouts.

While I'm not a Vegetarian or Vegan (my little sister is Vegan) I do respect much of what they've learned and found the movie 'Forks Over Knives' to be very enlightening. The human body needs raw foods as well as a fair amount of carbohydrates and whenever we cut those down in favor of high protein or high fat diets I think we're just harming ourselves. Perhaps the young can get away with it but those of us near or over 50 know that fiber is an important part of our day ;)

So, is cereal bad? Well I'd say NO and YES! Cherios aren't great specially when you add refined sugar (super bad) and Honey Combs etc are BAD BAD BAD! BUT Oatmeal (not instant but the old fashioned kind) is GOOD for you just as cooked Wheat is, Chia, etc etc.

Don't overlook natural foods (raw or cooked) as a breakfast item as you may find they are just what you need.
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I should add that I don't add milk to my oatmeal etc -- and that milk you buy in the store is 'Processed' and thus should probably be avoided.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Get rid of that trainer! There is no bad food that you should avoid unless you have a medical reason to do so.

Sure it has sugar, wheat and carbs but it's not terrible for you in moderation and will not harm your progress.

Eat cereal if you want to. I do now and again. If you don't (but make your own choice and not listen to that trainer), have eggs, bacon, toast, fruit, etc.

If part of the OPs goal is to burn body fat, that breakfast will most certainly impede their progress. Wheat tends to cause inflammation and the sugar and starchy carbs impede fat loss. Limiting them or eliminating them (eating Paleo or Primal) in my personal experience has me burning fat in a way I didn't think was possible.