Fitness trainer told me CEREAL was bad!!

Options

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    5-6 egg whites, one whole egg and two pieces of wheat toast.

The problem with most cereals (IMO) is that they contain a lot of sugars and are processed. If you get something like Kashi or oatmeal, it is less processed and better for you. I use cereal as a snack/treat now, never as a meal. Plus, after I got my food scale and realized how small a serving size of cereal was and that I was typically eating 3-4 servings for the morning plus milk it really made me re-evaluate what I eat in the mornings with respect to calories.

That is so true. For the small amount of benefit received from cereal, I prefer to eat something else. I find all the cereal very bloating, so I try to stay away from them.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    5-6 egg whites, one whole egg and two pieces of wheat toast.

The problem with most cereals (IMO) is that they contain a lot of sugars and are processed. If you get something like Kashi or oatmeal, it is less processed and better for you. I use cereal as a snack/treat now, never as a meal. Plus, after I got my food scale and realized how small a serving size of cereal was and that I was typically eating 3-4 servings for the morning plus milk it really made me re-evaluate what I eat in the mornings with respect to calories.

^^^ This is what I do and how I feel about cereal.

Haha! Me too! I need at least a full bowl of cocoa krispies, pops, cocoa puffs, captain crunch! That's 3-4 servings! If I can't have a full bowl with a bunch of milk fit my macros, I'd rather not tease myself like that. These cereals don't satisfy me at all. It's like eating air.

The ones you list are mostly puffed rice. You ARE eating air, that's why it's LIKE eating air :)
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Had no idea cereal was bad for you since it contains wheat and carbs and sugar. What do YOU guys eat for breakfast??

what's wrong with wheat and carbs?

I personally don't do well with cereal though. It doesn't feel me up and gives me zero energy. I need protein in the morning so normally have eggs with some wholemeal toast :smile:
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Had no idea cereal was bad for you since it contains wheat and carbs and sugar. What do YOU guys eat for breakfast??

Define BAD...
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I don't eat cereal because I don't eat commercially processed foods... lots of other stuff in there that you get no nutritional benefit from.

On a side note, did you know in many commercial dog foods they put the "extra" stuff (crumbs, by-product) from the cereal manufacturers? Talk about a filler.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight by eating anything in moderation, but wouldn't you like to give your body the best fuel you can! :)
    If we to just focus on the "best" when it came to nutritional value, then food would suck to eat. While I'll agree that commercially advertised "kids" cereals aren't the best choice, however there are a good amount of good cereals that one can choose to eat for breakfast. For many, NON PREP to eat (meaning no cooking involved) breakfasts are they way they like to go.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    If part of the OPs goal is to burn body fat, that breakfast will most certainly impede their progress. Wheat tends to cause inflammation and the sugar and starchy carbs impede fat loss. Limiting them or eliminating them (eating Paleo or Primal) in my personal experience has me burning fat in a way I didn't think was possible.
    Lol, "overeating" impedes fat loss. Calorie deficit counts when it comes to weight and even fat loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    eggs, cottage cheese, avocado, pancakes, french toast, coffee - not all at once
  • blackeraser
    Options
    you never knew cereal was bad for you?
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I love cereals but they don't seem to love me. When I eat cereals daily (and keeping within my calorie and macro goals) I stop losing weight. I eat white bread and pasta and they don't seem to have the same effect so it can't just be the high level of carbs. Weird.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options

Unless you are gluten intollerance there is nothing wrong with wheat, but if you want a cereal with no sugar or wheat there are plenty available. Just look for a cereal made from another grain (corn, oat, rice) with no/low added sugar.

I can't imagine any fitness trainer telling you carbs are bad. Carbs are fuel. Does he want you to cut out fruit and veggies too?

She said there were OTHER ways to get carbs like chicken, protein, veggies, anything green like spinach

Chicken and protein are, well, protein. Not carbs. Green vegetables are a source of carbs but not likely to fuel a longer workout very well. You need to decide if you are interested in a low carb/high protein diet, since this is what she is recommending. If you want to do that, there's nothing wrong with it in the short term although it can be difficult to stick to. Otherwise, I would filter most of her nutrition advice.

If your goal is weight loss what is most important is 1) eating a reasonable calorie deficit. Use the food diary here to track all of your food and make sure you are eating within your calorie goal, and 2) training yourself to develop healthy habits surrounding food, that you can apply long term. Everything else is just fine tuning.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    most of it is crap.
  • changejen2013
    Options
    Most times I eat either 1/2 cup dry oatmeal with 1/2 cup strawberries or 1 cup cereal, 1 cup milk.
    Though the nutritional value isn't quite there in cereal, it's not BAD if you eat it proportionately.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    The ones you list are mostly puffed rice. You ARE eating air, that's why it's LIKE eating air :)

:tongue: That's how we roll when we buy cereal for my 11yr old. Was more or less trying to demonstrate why it's not the best decision to choose those cereals: eating air vs eating more food for less calories. Kinda like yoplait whips vs Greek yogurt.

We buy healthy cereals, but If I'm eating healthy cereals, it's gonna be oats.
  • TheCarmalee
    Options
    Cereal is high in carbs, high in sugar. I usually go for whole granola. Check the back of the label of your cereal and at least make sure the protein out-weighs the total fat amount. I try to have a high-protein breakfast; usually eggs paired with fruit or veggies. I say listen to your trainer. Good luck!
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    We use to eat Special K and oatmeal (not the instant stuff). Since my doc put me on a version of Atkins, we now eat eggs, sausage or ham, cheese or avocado, some veggies, and coffee with creamer and stevia. I'm not missing the cereals since I was always starving very quickly after them and our trainner said we needed more protein in the morning. I have smoothies too sometimes when in a hurry - frozen fruit, no sugar almond milk, protein scoop, and avocado - yummy.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

This kind of ridiculousness is why I researched my own plan.

Becoming a trainer is a lot like becoming hair dresser, minus the necessary skill set.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Unless you are gluten intollerance there is nothing wrong with wheat, but if you want a cereal with no sugar or wheat there are plenty available. Just look for a cereal made from another grain (corn, oat, rice) with no/low added sugar.

I can't imagine any fitness trainer telling you carbs are bad. Carbs are fuel. Does he want you to cut out fruit and veggies too?

She said there were OTHER ways to get carbs like chicken, protein, veggies, anything green like spinach

That's certainly true, but that's sort of like saying meat is bad because there are other sources of protein.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Cereal is high in carbs, high in sugar. I usually go for whole granola. Check the back of the label of your cereal and at least make sure the protein out-weighs the total fat amount. I try to have a high-protein breakfast; usually eggs paired with fruit or veggies. I say listen to your trainer. Good luck!

Granola is cereal.
  • Lecterman
    Lecterman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Lol, "overeating" impedes fat loss. Calorie deficit counts when it comes to weight and even fat loss.

Thanks for saying exactly what I was thinking.