Fitness trainer told me CEREAL was bad!!

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Yes cereal is bad. Foods rich in carbohydrates give you quick energy, but that energy wears off just as quickly as it came. Since grains break down into sugar, they create a rise in insulin levels when those levels fall you crave more grains and, thus, the vicious cycle continues.
    Strong 1st post of epic wrongness

ahhh yes the viscous cycle of epic failure....
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Yes cereal is bad. Foods rich in carbohydrates give you quick energy, but that energy wears off just as quickly as it came. Since grains break down into sugar, they create a rise in insulin levels when those levels fall you crave more grains and, thus, the vicious cycle continues.

Not entirely correct -- whole grains do not create a rise in insulin and can, in fact have a negative impact (often referred to as a negative Glycemic Index). Whole grains do the opposite of what you claim.

This is the problem today: everyone thinks carbs are bad because they read it somewhere but seem to miss the whole 'processed vs raw' and 'simple vs complex' as well as 'refined vs unrefined'.

making such blanket statements as " Foods rich in carbohydrates give you quick energy, but that energy wears off just as quickly as it came. Since grains break down into sugar, they create a rise in insulin levels when those levels fall you crave more grains and, thus, the vicious cycle continues." is what misleads people into making bad choices.

I'm sorry but this is bad advice.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I had a Chocolate milkshake for breaky. :blushing:
    The disapproval from your trainer would make her skin crawl.
  • ChelseaM8726
    ChelseaM8726 Posts: 117
    Options
    I skip breakfast, but post workout I might eat cereal.Cocoa rice, Cocoa puffs, Cracklin Oat Bran, Honey Nut Cheerios, Apple Jacks, Raisin Bran etc.

I LOVE CoCoa rice!
  • ChrissyVas80
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's bad but maybe unhealthy if you're not eating it in moderation. The trainer might be concerned with the calories if they're helping you with controlling your calorie intake. Maybe they miss spoke. Also the choice of cereal too, such as say Trix, Fruit Loops, Cookie Crisp, and other overly sweet cereals. I think if you're eating things like plain Cheerios, Raisin Bran, Kicks, etc those won't be as bad calorie and sugar content wise as some of the others.

Breakfast has always been considered the most important meal of the day as it gets your metabolism started. Especially for those that have a slow metabolism to begin with. As someone that doesn't care for breakfast in the morning; since starting working out and getting back into shape I find having that meal is key for me to feel energized. I typically take a meal replacement shake as it's easiest to make and I enjoy taking it. If eating cereal in the morning for breakfast is the only thing you'll eat then I say eat it in a controlled portion, I think it's better than not eating anything at all. If you can use skim milk, soy milk, or almond milk at least then the calories won't be as high. Maybe cut up a banana or favorite fruit and add it to your cereal to make it a little more filling.
  • Jentrin03
    Jentrin03 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal and fruit! Cereal does have alot of carbs and sugars.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Fruit and greek yogurt smoothie, one slice of bacon, and a hard boiled egg is what I had today. Most days are the same, minus the bacon.
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Grains and Legumes

According to Paul Insel, author of "Nutrition," refined carbohydrates, such as white bread and white pasta, can cause your blood glucose levels to rise quite rapidly. Because they are digested more quickly, your body absorbs the glucose more rapidly, causing a spike in blood sugar. High-fiber foods, such as whole wheat grains and beans, can help lower your blood sugar level because they take more time for you to digest. The longer the food takes to digest, the less dramatic your spike in blood sugar. Eating whole grains and legumes regularly might help you lower your blood sugar reading more permanently, as well as help you maintain a healthy number.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/555804-how-do-whole-grains-legumes-lower-blood-sugar/#ixzz2VYMai1co
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    CEREAL IS BAD! One bowl always leads to another... for me anyways.

But I usually wait a bit for breakfast... like to finish my tea first... but today i had two pieces of wholewheat seedy bread
    one with organic raspberry jam and the other with two wedges of laughing cow cheese spicy.
    for ~ 300calories
  • clobern
    clobern Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Two egg omelet with some turkey and sometimes cheese.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Cereal wouldn't be my choice for breakfast - you can have it if you like, but check the nutritional value fits with your goals. For me, it's too high in sugar and carbs, and isn't a very satisfying eat.

I have:

Eggs - boiled, scrambled, omelette
    Fish - smoked salmon or trout, blob of caviar
    Toast - once or twice a week, Burgen or other seedy bread, with peanut or pumpkin seed butter, or guacamole
    Greek yoghurt or cottage cheese with berries
    Grapefruit
  • fatfrost
    fatfrost Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    bro science idiocy. Guy might be a good trainer, but you cannot listen to him on nutritional stuff, because he doesn't know what he's talking about.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I sometimes eat cereal for breakfast, generally Kashi GoLean Crunch or Honey Nut Cheerios. I'm not a huge breakfast eater, so my usual weekday breakfast is 6 oz plain yogurt from my local dairy and a hard boiled egg. Ran out of eggs this week and started doing 1/2 cup of Kashi golean in the yogurt for a change. I think I may keep that in rotation.

Weekends I'm all over the place - pancakes (homemade batter), waffles (same as the pancakes), scrambled eggs, egg sandwich, etc. Sometimes even a bowl of cereal with skim milk.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Cereal isn't bad.. high sugar cereal is bad for your fitness goals however..

I have cereal occasionally.. I buy cascadian farms organic dark chocolate granola and thier organic wheat squares, even my son will eat them. They are so good! There are a few other good ones out there..

I dont' like sugar added to anything, so i woudln't eat the sugar cereals anyway.

As with everything else.. read the labels..
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I usually eat an egg white English muffin (no meat) from Tim Horton's and a medium coffee with 1 milk, sometimes just fruit.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Breakfast has always been considered the most important meal of the day as it gets your metabolism started.
    How can you start something that never stops until your dead.
  • stormdancer
    stormdancer Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    yep two organic eggs (from chickens never fed any GMO corn or alfalfa) with a half tablespoon of butter, fried, with hot black tea with sugar (mint). This means breakfast is lots of protein, some carbs, some fats. Eggs yolks have masses of certain nutrients you can't get too many other places, eggs are magically good. Oh and I fry them in the HEALTHY non-stick skillets made by Greenpan, so easy to clean; You just have to remember to let the pan heat up BEFORE you put food in it. Target sells them.
  • JustSinging
    JustSinging Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I usually eat the plain cheerios with almond milk
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Cereal is not bad unless it's processed to death and full of sugar. As with anything, look at the ingredients. My rule is if I can't pronounce it, or contains high fructose corn syrup, I don't eat it.