Fitness trainer told me CEREAL was bad!!

Options

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Didn't read other responses.

Cereal: just not a lot of bang for your buck. If you love it and can make it fit with the rest of your day, ok. If you're hungry two hours later and it means you overeat at lunch or dinner, because you feel deprived, not so ok.

My breakfast at home is usually eggs & toast, or if I'm grabbing something out, a hot breakfast sandwich from a coffee place.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Chocolate. Cereal. And pickles. Ate that today, for breakfast.

Hope I don't die.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is an idiot if he/she used those words. Yes, there are better choices of food to keep you fuller longer but there is nothing wrong with cereal

I eat mostly just egg whites and oats because it keeps me full for a good 3 hours :-)
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Reposting from one of my previous posts:

"Kashi Go Lean Honey Flax & Almonds is delicious! It doesn't need any extra sugar. 1 cup has 200 calories, 5 gms fat, 36 gms carbs, 9 gms protein & 8 gms fiber. I add 1/2 cup strawberries & 1/2 cup 1% milk for a total of 279 cals, 6 gms fat, 49 gms carbs, 14 gms protein & 10 gms fiber. It DELICIOUS & very filling! It's my go-to breakfast 3-4x/week!!! As an alternative you can add Greek yogurt to a 1/2 cup of cereal & delete the milk & fruit."

Both my lunch & dinner tend to be MUCH lower in carbs & higher in protein. My protein goal is 130 grams/day, which I almost alway go over. My carb goal is 195 grams/day, which I almost never even come close to hitting, so I'm not worried about eating cereal for breakfast, as it is one of my only significant intake of carbs/day. Folks who eat eggs with 2 pieces of whole wheat toast take in a similar carb load at breakfast. It's all in how you control your calories & macros throughout the day!
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Yesterday - a banana. Today a blueberry pop-tart.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I notice two things when I would eat cereal for breakfast (I never was big on sugary cereals I tend to go with the least sugared in the bunch):
    1- I would get really, really, really hungry in about 45 minutes after I would eat it.
    2- I would get the shakes, and a little confused if I ignored that hunger.

I thought for years I had a thyroid issue, or diabetes, but every time my doctor would test it, I was fine. I really did not make the link between cereal, and this issue until 2001. I would just make sure I would have a snack with me if I wanted cereal for breakfast.
    Finally asked the doctor last year why every time I eat cereal the above happens? This is what he said,

Cereal has a lot of sugar, and carbs in it (even the good ones can) you get a big spike in blood sugar. There is not enough fiber in comparison to the level of sugar cereal has to slow the release of the sugar. Your body has to put out a fair amount of insulin to counteract the blood sugar spike. Your blood sugar than dips below it's natural level b/c of the amount of insulin your pancreas puts out to bring it down. In return you get really hungry b/c your body wants you to eat more to get your blood sugar back to normal, and you get the same symptoms as a diabetic. So he suggested I eat protein (like an egg) in addition to my healthy cereal choice to slow the sugar release enough that my body does not over produce insulin.
    It worked for me!
  • musicmint
    musicmint Posts: 469
    Options
    Your trainer is an idiot if he/she used those words. Yes, there are better choices of food to keep you fuller longer but there is nothing wrong with cereal

I eat mostly just egg whites and oats because it keeps me full for a good 3 hours :-)

She technically wasn't my trainer she was one of the ladies that work at the gym who walk around and check up on people...
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is probably a kind, well-intentioned person.

You are probably a very nice person, too, the kind who would get the mail for her neighbors while they are out of town and feed their dog.

Being a very good person does not mean you are always right.

I apologize if this post was too harsh.:flowerforyou:

jUaz6NG.gif
  • musicmint
    musicmint Posts: 469
    Options
    I notice two things when I would eat cereal for breakfast (I never was big on sugary cereals I tend to go with the least sugared in the bunch):
    1- I would get really, really, really hungry in about 45 minutes after I would eat it.
    2- I would get the shakes, and a little confused if I ignored that hunger.

I thought for years I had a thyroid issue, or diabetes, but every time my doctor would test it, I was fine. I really did not make the link between cereal, and this issue until 2001. I would just make sure I would have a snack with me if I wanted cereal for breakfast.
    Finally asked the doctor last year why every time I eat cereal the above happens? This is what he said,

Cereal has a lot of sugar, and carbs in it (even the good ones can) you get a big spike in blood sugar. There is not enough fiber in comparison to the level of sugar cereal has to slow the release of the sugar. Your body has to put out a fair amount of insulin to counteract the blood sugar spike. Your blood sugar than dips below it's natural level b/c of the amount of insulin your pancreas puts out to bring it down. In return you get really hungry b/c your body wants you to eat more to get your blood sugar back to normal, and you get the same symptoms as a diabetic. So he suggested I eat protein (like an egg) in addition to my healthy cereal choice to slow the sugar release enough that my body does not over produce insulin.
    It worked for me!

Ok THIS is how she explained it...yes this is what i was talking about with cereal...thanks for posting
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Whole grain oatmeal (steel-cut or old fashioned) and fruit. But today I had my first ever tofu scramble with lots of veggies. It was delish!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    For Halloween one year I took a plastic sword and stuck it through a box of cereal. I then smeared fake blood all over the box and the sword.

I was a CEREAL Killer.....Get it?
  • Lavaldez87
    Options
    BelVita breakfast cookies or light yogurt with lots of water!!
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Bacon and eggs. :) And coffee with cream.

YAY!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Cereal has no real nutritional value.. what u eat should b purposeful, right?
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Get rid of that trainer! There is no bad food that you should avoid unless you have a medical reason to do so.

Sure it has sugar, wheat and carbs but it's not terrible for you in moderation and will not harm your progress.

Eat cereal if you want to. I do now and again. If you don't (but make your own choice and not listen to that trainer), have eggs, bacon, toast, fruit, etc.

Actually commercially made cereals are pretty much garbage. If you want cereal, I suggest you look at the organics, or at the hot cereals (no not crap Quaker), really made from whole grains.

Commercial cereals have all caught the "whole grain" craze, but that's just an advertising gimmick - they haven't changed the way they make cereal in years! Look at the ingredients, in 99.9% of them, the first ingredient is sugar. That's cuz they've processed out the real stuff that tastes good so they have to add sugar to make their cardboard taste palatable.

READ THE INGREDIENTS - don't look just look at cals and carbs etc., even those aren't real!

Bob's Red Mill is a good place to start looking.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is an idiot. You do know that you need little to no nutrition education to become a personal trainer, right?
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    For Halloween one year I took a plastic sword and stuck it through a box of cereal. I then smeared fake blood all over the box and the sword.

I was a CEREAL Killer.....Get it?

I did that too! Only I put bullet holes in mine. Hahaha!
  • kristenaro
    Options
    I can't eat the same thing every day. I used to never really eat breakfast, so trying to force myself most mornings. Some mornings its more like a snack than a breakfast, but at least its something. I have some Dannon light & fit greek yogurts (80 calories each) and also some special k with fat free milk (245 calories per serving) that I keep at my job for breakfasts. Sometimes I go to McDonalds and get the egg white delight egg mc muffin (250 calories), or I might have something small like just a mini babybel light cheese (50 calories each).
    I eat breakfast and lunch at work, but I eat dinner at home with my family, and I am the only one "dieting", so I try to save more calories to have at dinner. I just started on 5/28, so its only been a little over a week. I have already lost 3.8 pounds after one week (we weigh ourselves every Tuesday).
    I just think that regardless of what I am eating, I know I am making better choices than I was 2 weeks ago, and I am paying more attention to what I am eating. We have also started exercising, and I can already feel a difference in myself in just this short amount of time. It makes it so much easier to stick with something when you have a lot of friends doing it with you!
  • kmpublishing2
    kmpublishing2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast, but post workout I might eat cereal.Cocoa rice, Cocoa puffs, Cracklin Oat Bran, Honey Nut Cheerios, Apple Jacks, Raisin Bran etc.

OMG It's amazing! I'm not the ONLY ONE who actually LIKES Cracklin' Oat Bran!!!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    eggs with bacon
    eggs with spinach
    eggs with any left overs

Do you have dark skin around your neck, elbows, on your underarms? your trainer may of noticed that, if you have it (Acanthosis nigricans) and made a mention about cereal

If you have it, i suggest you look it up, its the only reason i can see why the trainer brought it up, or you were talking about diets in general.