Fitness trainer told me CEREAL was bad!!

Options
15678911»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I had cereal for lunch. I just try and stick to the stuff that doesn't have a lot of sugar, and I just have it occasionally. My main issue with it is that it tends not to fill me up enough at breakfast, and yes 99% of the cereals out there are loaded with sugar.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I notice two things when I would eat cereal for breakfast (I never was big on sugary cereals I tend to go with the least sugared in the bunch):
    1- I would get really, really, really hungry in about 45 minutes after I would eat it.
    2- I would get the shakes, and a little confused if I ignored that hunger.

I thought for years I had a thyroid issue, or diabetes, but every time my doctor would test it, I was fine. I really did not make the link between cereal, and this issue until 2001. I would just make sure I would have a snack with me if I wanted cereal for breakfast.
    Finally asked the doctor last year why every time I eat cereal the above happens? This is what he said,

Cereal has a lot of sugar, and carbs in it (even the good ones can) you get a big spike in blood sugar. There is not enough fiber in comparison to the level of sugar cereal has to slow the release of the sugar. Your body has to put out a fair amount of insulin to counteract the blood sugar spike. Your blood sugar than dips below it's natural level b/c of the amount of insulin your pancreas puts out to bring it down. In return you get really hungry b/c your body wants you to eat more to get your blood sugar back to normal, and you get the same symptoms as a diabetic. So he suggested I eat protein (like an egg) in addition to my healthy cereal choice to slow the sugar release enough that my body does not over produce insulin.
    It worked for me!

I should clarify this problem for me was strictly with cold cereals from a box...not my beloved steel-cut oats.
  • HeatherLynn82281
    HeatherLynn82281 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I usually do a protein shake. But when I do cereal I do Special K or Oatmeal
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    I had a district nurse tell me porridge was bad today...no really i did.

she advised i eat things like fruit & fiber, special k so on an so forth...

50g porridge made with water :- 182 calories, 4.1g fat, 30.2g carb, 0.8 sugar, 4.3 fiber

Fruit & fiber 40g serving with milk:- 211 calories, 34g carb, 4.5g fat, 16g sugar, 3.5g fiber.

Ill stick to my porridge thanks...

Thing is, like others have said... there isnt any bad foods... just bad amounts
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Cereal has no real nutritional value.. what u eat should b purposeful, right?

LOLWUT?

Baseless statements are baseless.
  • crossfit_lover
    crossfit_lover Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Had Open Faced Everything Bagel with light creamcheese, lox & salmon with tomato...YUMMY!
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I can't eat the same thing every day. I used to never really eat breakfast, so trying to force myself most mornings. Some mornings its more like a snack than a breakfast, but at least its something. I have some Dannon light & fit greek yogurts (80 calories each) and also some special k with fat free milk (245 calories per serving) that I keep at my job for breakfasts. Sometimes I go to McDonalds and get the egg white delight egg mc muffin (250 calories), or I might have something small like just a mini babybel light cheese (50 calories each).
    I eat breakfast and lunch at work, but I eat dinner at home with my family, and I am the only one "dieting", so I try to save more calories to have at dinner. I just started on 5/28, so its only been a little over a week. I have already lost 3.8 pounds after one week (we weigh ourselves every Tuesday).
    I just think that regardless of what I am eating, I know I am making better choices than I was 2 weeks ago, and I am paying more attention to what I am eating. We have also started exercising, and I can already feel a difference in myself in just this short amount

of time. It makes it so much easier to stick with something when you have a lot of friends doing it with you!

If you don't like eating breakfast why are you forcing yourself to? There's no health benefit to breaking your fast early in the day. If you're not hungry in the morning then don't eat :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Had no idea cereal was bad for you since it contains wheat and carbs and sugar. What do YOU guys eat for breakfast??

what's wrong with wheat and carbs?

I personally don't do well with cereal though. It doesn't feel me up and gives me zero energy. I need protein in the morning so normally have eggs with some wholemeal toast :smile:
    wheat and carbs are the devil and make you fat!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    wheat and carbs are the devil and make you fat!

tumblr_mg7jn69A8x1rl07gno1_500.gif
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Get a new trainer

amen...end thread/
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Had no idea cereal was bad for you since it contains wheat and carbs and sugar. What do YOU guys eat for breakfast??

SOME cereals have incredible amounts of sugar in various forms. Sugar is not bad, but too much is not good. If you're worried about sugar, suggest you try oatmeal or plain cornflakes.
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    This sounded so good when I read it I made some cream of what with a spoon of brown sugar. Yum! :-)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Breakfast has always been considered the most important meal of the day as it gets your metabolism started.
    How can you start something that never stops until your dead.

Hahahaha! I like that response.

The breakfast fallacy is so dumb too.
  • Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    I don't eat cold cereal because of the high amount of processing and the sugar. Plus, the serving size nowhere near fills me up! I prefer oatmeal. :)