WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2013

Options

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Such a bittersweet, roller coaster of a day. Started at 8:00 a.m. with a hair appointment. While there I apparently forgot I had dye on my head and scratched it. Now my fingers have hair dye on them as do my brand new khaki capris, although I think Mama's handy-dandy stain remover finally kicked in on the capris. Then Mama and I spent the day shopping, having lunch with her sister, and visiting another elderly lady friend and helping her count her day lilies. While there I learned that a couple in our church had lost their young adult son, so I ended the day by visiting them. Such a sad, sad situation. I cannot imagine their pain. Sure puts the perspective on my brown fingers that were such a disaster at 9:00 a.m. this morning.

Eating wise, right now I'm under my calorie goal for the day (barely) but did not get to walk. It's going to be very hard not to binge because I can't get this situation with my church friends off my mind. I'm so glad I had the day with my mother and her sister. You are never guaranteed tomorrow with any of your loved ones.

Sorry for the downer of a post.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Debbie, Donna and anyone else I may have missed - welcome

Did an hour of HIIT this morning, came home and had a chicken breast patty (yes, for breakfast), was going to go to mahjongg but when I got there, I was the only person there! Oh, first stopped at the vets office. So I left mahjongg and went and bought Vince a Dunkin Donuts gift card for father's day. I know that's something he'll use....lol Then went to the Salvation Army. I found I can get shorts there since I can use the regular sized shorts. I need petites in pants and shirts, but I can get by with regular size shorts. Then went to Aldi just for a few things. I really thought I was going to get more. Then went to Office Max to see if I can get another container for my coupons (mine broke) but they don't carry it, stopped at Hamricks -- didn't buy anything, then went to WalMart. Ordered a sub ring for Rummikub this Tuesday. Bought some other things, not much but since I was there..... Now I'm home, checking the posts and email.

Oh, while in Hamrick's I got hungry so I pulled out a bag of the Just Peas that I had. Wish I could get more -- they are GOOOODDDDD. I think you can order them from Amazon, but you need to order a quantity and I'd only want like 3 bags.

Joyce - it's a real crying shame that MIL's daughter doesn't acknowledge her. One day she'll regret it. Yes, I do believe wht goes around comes around. If dh ever gives you any grief about wanting to park "out there", use my rationale, you want to park "out there" so that there's less of a chance of another car/cart banging or nicking your car.

Heather - woo hoo -- one year. Sending you a virtual celebratory cake (the good part is that virtual cakes don't have calories!)

Lorraine - Boy, you sure are going to be busy. Congrats on that NSV,

Tere - if you don't have any rainwear, doesn't Storm need to go out even in the rain? What do you do? Wonderful eating out! You should be proud of yourself, I am. What movie are you going to see? That's great that you insilled values in your children so that they are appreciative of elderly people.

katla - so glad to hear your dh is doing well on the new med. Like you, I'm an enabler, too. So many times the kids would say "ma, you've gotta let us grow up". I'm trying, and I think I'm being fairly successful at it. But at times it can be so hard. How I just want to rush in, take Denise in, and make things "right" But I also know that she won't learn by her getting in trouble (like no electricity) and me rushing in helping her. I'm constantly reminded of a situation a while ago. How many many times Vince and I begged her not to drive her car without insurance, we kept saying how her car could be impounded. Well, it was.... to this day she's current with her auto insurance and I really think that's because we let her feel the consequences of her action of not paying her auto insurance.

barbie - it is so very interesting to hear what works and doesn't work for people.

brooke - big congrats!!!!

phoo - I think the idea of a goal of the waterpark is fantabulous

Cyndi - I used to have a Polar FT7. I thought the chest strap was very comfortable. I also liked that I could take off the monitor and wash the strap.

Rita - that's wonderful that your company has a walking trail. Knowing barbie, that's where she'd have her meetings!

Joan - good for you logging every bite!

oh, phoo -- I hard boiled some eggs and one of them must have cracked. Looks like I know something that'll go into my salad tonight!

Joyce - you will get used to the elliptical. I remember the absolute first time I did HIIT on the elliptical. I thought for sure I was going to die. Now I can do it. And you will too. Does your elliptical also have the moveable arms so you get an arm workout, too? I've found that when I use my arms, there isn't as much work on the legs.

Ginny - how would nuts do to up the calories?

Kathy in IL - I like your quote.

drkatieug - whenever I get my hair colored, I always wear this one shirt. Well, actually, I have a 3/4 length shirt and a shortsleeved one. Glad you were able to get the stain out of your capris. What kind of stain remover do you have? So so sorry about the couple at your church losing their son. That must be so very hard. That was so nice of you to be there for them.

We called Denise tonight. She has her electricity turned back on. She didn't say what she had to do in order to get it turned on. She'd told us yesterday that she took her cat with her and I just had a feeling that she didn't. Sure enough, she didn't. Seems the uncle and aunt she was staying with have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and 2 rabbits. Denise was saying how the daughter doesn't take care of the cats or the rabbits. Talk about a disfunctional family!

Michele in NC
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Had a great day today. :happy: Got everything on my to-do list done, plus gardened for 45 minutes and walked 1 ½ miles. Then I sat outside on my deck and enjoyed a book and the birds for 2 hours. :smile: Had a great vegetarian dinner (made by dd#2) and a glass of wine, a little mini ice cream cone, and I’m still under my calorie goal. It doesn’t get much better than this!!! Oh, and it’s only 8 pm and I have 7153 steps on the fitbit!

Lizmil: stay strong. All those old wounds will come back and haunt you. Don’t put bandaids on them. Forgive and move on or you’ll always be eating them away. Great advice from someone who knows better but tends to do the same.

Barbie: you always sound so busy!!!

Viv: great attitude!

Grandmallie: keep up the good work!

Heather: hope your knee is ok….I creak so much going up the stairs the girls say I can wake them up!:laugh:

DeeDee: thanks for your encouragement: I bought one of those water infusers since you always say to drink up, and I have increased my intake. Much better with a little flavoring in it!

Molly: let us know how the physical therapy goes!

Yanniejannie: are you dried out yet? Seems you had a lot of rough weather recently,

Lorrain: wow you sound busy. But at least those are exciting events and such great milestones!

Tere: great nsv! You should be so proud! I had to laugh at the tats! My new bras and panties come when I hit the 30 pound mark.

Kathy: sending you good vibes to make your headache go away!:flowerforyou:

Debbie: your ticker shows up when I read your post. Are you a cubs or white sox fan?

Katla: great walk! Dad is a little better today. He managed to call me then said he was blind! LOL I said “Open your eyes!” He
    says “Oh yeah, that’s better!” OMG it was all I could do to keep from laughing!:laugh:

Brooke: hooray for the busted plateau!!!

Jane: how are those grandbabies>>>

Sue: keep us informed as to your scan results and the resulting plan of action!

Phoo: great idea to put your plans in writing! I hope all went as planned. I love to scrapbook too.

Cyndi: where in Texas are you? I have relatives mostly in the Houston area, but some in the “piney woods” near Zavalla, some near Denton, Beaumont, kind of all over. Do you know the story of Cynthia Ann parker (of Fort Parker fame)? She was my dad’s great great great great (?)great aunt or something Anyhow, we are related in some way and I am fascinated by her story.

Rita; where in TN are you and where do you work that they have a walking trail? That is awesome. My brother lives in Nashville.
    Joan: how did you like the movie. Thank goodness those biscuits are one of the very few foods I really don’t like. :frown: I do like most of the other stuff at red lobster!

Connie: wow in the 100s? We will only hit the mid 80s next week!

Joyce: you have made such great progress since you started here! I remember when you said you couldn’t exercise because of your MS and now you are rocking it! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Donna: welcome to our group! My advice is to come back often!

Ginny: Drink?:bigsmile: Actually you could put smartbalance on things as a butter substitute and increase your protein. That should add some calories

Kathy: love the quotation!

Drkatiebug: actually I appreciated your post because it puts things in perspective. I bet those stained nails and clothes were a huge disaster before you heard about that death. Thank you for reminding me that there are bigger things to worry about that the stuff I usually obsess over!

Well tomorrow will be busy, but fun. I have listened to you all tell me over and over again to slow down and have some fun, so I’m taking your advice! :tongue: We are getting up early and going to the farmers market downtown, stopping somewhere and getting cupcakes for dad (it’s his 89th birthday), then supposedly going on a picnic/fishing trip/bike ride but it’s supposed to be raining by mid afternoon. In the midst of all this DD#1 has a job interview at 2:30 and DD#2 is babysitting at 6! Whew! But fun it is. Sunday I’m going to an auction which means I need to inventory my depression glass to see what I need! Take care all….busy and tired but satisfied Meg from Omaha :drinker:

Take care, Meg
    June goals:
    90 ounces of water
    6000 steps
    <1800 calories/day
    Exercise 5x/week
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    friday finally! thought I would be done the da!@#$%!! project, still plugging....best weekend to all!
    BJ
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    hi ladies,
    so glad i found you, you all seem so encouraging and supportive of one another. i have been on Mfp for 3 yrs in july and have lost 114 lbs , would like to loose another 5 lbs , but mostly trying to strength train and tone up and keep the weight OFF FOREVER, I have been a yoyo dieter most of my life. This time has got to be different, i am getting too old to do the yoyo thing forever. Looking forward to getting to know you all

PHOO, I took my kids(teens) to the waterpark this last weekend, it was ALOT of exercise alot of fun and everyone had a great time got for it and if you need to borrow some kids you can borrow mine for the day, maybe even the weekend or week......LOL

my goals for JUNE :drinker:
    exercise at least 5 days a week
    drink enough water everyday
    do strength training 2-3 xs a week
    have a possitive attitude.....:smile:

sheri
    california
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello everyone!
    I am new to this thread and this site. I look forward to asking you all for help in my quest to lose weight. I am diabetic (type 2) along with suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome. This makes it difficult for me to follow a traditional diabetic diet. Right now I am starting from scratch and am eating basically a bland diet and adding a food daily to see how my intestines react to the food. I suffer from severe diarrhea otherwise.
    A friend of mine who you may know recommended this site to me. She goes by the name of chicletgirl. I am hoping she will be writing on her soon too.
    I look forward to receiving any advice and food/recipe suggestions.
    candygirl:love:
    Have you tried a soluble fiber supplement, like psyllium? Methylcellulose also works.The fiber seems to have a soothing, demulcent quality and it absorbs some of the things that might be irritating you, like bile acids.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Michelle, I can't do arms and legs at the same time. Although there is this machine that kind of looks like an eliptical that you sit and there is no arm movement but the legs move like the eliptical. I've seen pretty old women sitting at it. But I have become quite spoiled with the machines at the one end of the Y that have a built in TV:laugh:

We went shopping tonight for a bookshelf for MIL that will use some of her money. My husband said, I guess you will want to park way out won't you? So he expected it and did it willingly. I saw one that cost $100 that would do nicely but I'm not sure it will fit. We really need to go back and measure her other room properly
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: This has been another busy day but tomorrow begins four less frantic days……I walked the dogs for the usual two hours this morning then taught my regular beginner line dance class, did some errands, ate a quick lunch and headed off to teach the beginner line dance class that I’m substituting in. After class two women from the performance group wanted to practice one of our harder dances so I stayed later and got home to find that a possibly significant piece of the dishwasher had broken and melted (don’t know yet whether the dishwasher is useable without it). Jake had fixed supper
    chicken/garlic sausage. A beautiful salad, and pumpkin (frozen from a pumpkin we bought and cooked last fall). Then I walked the dogs for 40 minutes and finally found time to read about all your interesting lives and successes.

:bigsmile: One major reason that I can walk so many steps each day is that I don’t have a desk job….also I’m a very casual housekeeper and I am always looking for a reason to walk (I meet friends for walks not for meals).

:heart: Barbie from sunny NW Washington

June Resolutions (with week one updates)
    *dig out the rest of the back yard flower bed that’s full of rocks and terrible dirt (not started)
    *be agreeable---say “OK” (excellent, so far)
    *strength training once a week (nothing yet)
    *act the way I want to feel (excellent, so far)

[img][/img]194904olsgis3xqe.gif
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello everyone!
    I am new to this thread and this site. I look forward to asking you all for help in my quest to lose weight. I am diabetic (type 2) along with suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome. This makes it difficult for me to follow a traditional diabetic diet. Right now I am starting from scratch and am eating basically a bland diet and adding a food daily to see how my intestines react to the food. I suffer from severe diarrhea otherwise.
    A friend of mine who you may know recommended this site to me. She goes by the name of chicletgirl. I am hoping she will be writing on her soon too.
    I look forward to receiving any advice and food/recipe suggestions.
    candygirl:love:
    Have you tried a soluble fiber supplement, like psyllium? Methylcellulose also works.The fiber seems to have a soothing, demulcent quality and it absorbs some of the things that might be irritating you, like bile acids.

I had what the doctor referred to as an irritable bowel l-o-n-g ago when I was a college sophomore. My Saudi college roommate said she'd been at University with a number of girls with the same symptoms and they were unable to digest milk. I eliminated milk, and things improved dramatically. Perhaps your problem is also related to food intolerance. If it is related to specific foods, I hope you find them quickly so that you will feel better. I know that lactose intolerance (milk sugars) is rather common. I have a list of foods to avoid, with milk, cream and butter at the top. I also take it easy with spicy foods. I hope you're able to discover what is upsetting you.

Welcome to this group. The women here are wonderful.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • mightyold
    mightyold Posts: 12
    Options
    Candy girl...I had the same problem. I also had RSD and was in extreme pain for years. i read the WHEAT BELLY book and decided to stop all grain, sugar and beans. I have no more joint pain and no IBS. I am amazed. I did not do it for that. I went wheat free because of the belly fat I have and the chronic uncomfortable stomach pains and diarrhea. I had no idea I would lose 5 inches from around my middle in 4 weeks. I also stopped milk products. My knees no longer hurt. My hip joints have no more pain. I decided to try it for just 30 days. Now I am staying on it forever.
  • AlicesNirvanaHealthWellness
    Options
    ladies,,,read much of what everyone was up to today,,not much time to reply,,????
    Got my walk in today, had a meeting to prepare for summer school today, school starts Monday for 17 days,,,worked a little with my hand weights and kettle bel ????
    Got caught up with some moms I know from PTA about changes in the school district I live that many families are not happy with,,,so been going to board mtgs ,, yuck,,,
    Anyway,,have a great sleep and a better day tomorrow,,
    Alice in Illinois (nosoda0)
  • Mollybesweet
    Mollybesweet Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    A very pleasant Good Night Ladies~:flowerforyou:
    Will catch up with all the fabulous and interesting posts tomorrow.

Sweet dreams from Molly in damp and somewhat chilly WV :heart:
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone

Without going into everything has been a very stressful day which seems to keep getting better. By lunchtime receive some distrubing news from my mom about a niece. It keeps going on and on not ready to give details still processing it myself.

I stop at the gas station to fill up and paid for gas large diet pepsi and a candy bar. Ate it on the way home like to say that it didn't taste good but it did but did it solved any of my worries? No of course not and it bothers me that problems come up a my cure all is food. S much to work on still.

Wishing everyone a good night.

Liz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Liz: I'm sorry to hear that things are stressful for you. Sending virtual hugs your way, and keeping my fingers crossed that things sort themselves out soon.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • terrimag
    terrimag Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I have enjoyed reading the posts and look forward to getting to know some of you. Update on my June goals:

• Walk 3 times a week. I have walked every day this week!
    • Visit the gym 1 to 2 times a week. (This will be a challenge; I have not been to the gym in almost a year).
    Not yet :(
    • Increase my daily water intake. I am up to 6 glasses a day.
    • Record my food & exercise each day. Done.
    • Be active and do something fun with my youngest son 3 or more days a week. We did 4 fun activities!

I am adding
    • Keep a record of the steps on my pedometer each day.
    • I am going to work towards 10,000 steps a day.

Terri,
    from Oregon
  • SlimmingBrownDiva
    Options
    Hey Everyone....

This is very encouraging. I am looking forward to reaching my goal by the end of the month. I definitely am working hard on it. Although I did not gain a lot of weight say, over 50, 60 or 70 lbs, my health is or was at stake at just from a 35 lb weight gain. Mind you that some here may think that is NOT alot of weight but it is a lot of weight for ME. You see, I had always been a skinny girl but I had my share of weight gain AND previous loss all of my adult life even before I gave birth to my only child. Back then, 1 of the reasons was sooo stupid! I was dating a man who he thought it would be cool if I had gained some weight and like a foolish young woman I was back then, I listened to him & did just that....gained weight. But fast forwarding to now, I am quite successful now in reaching my goal to lose 24 lbs with just 7 more to go. I attend to stick around after I have done so for that I would love to be a source of continued encouragement for all who will receive it. Stand strong, keep your body movin' & eat smart! :wink:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Is there anyway on the exercise page we can record our steps so we can track it on the reports??
  • cyndilie
    cyndilie Posts: 52
    Options
    Meg, I'm in Hockley, TX, about 50 miles northwest of Houston, however, I am very familiar with the "piney woods" of Texas and also familiar with Zavalla. My mom lived in Broaddus, about 15 miles from Zavalla, for many years, until my step father passed away seven years ago. She has since moved back to the city. I guess I should catch up on my Texas history to remind myself the Cynthia Ann Parker story, LOL. It is funny sometimes when you think about what a really small world we live in and how we are all connected in some way. Loving this thread and getting to meet new people. Thanks for reaching out!!!
  • Mary9921
    Mary9921 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not 50 yet....49 and holding, lol....will be 50 in March 2014.

Found this site in April and have been recording food and exercise daily....I love the accountability and motivation I feel here.

I need to lose at least 50 lbs....so I had to start somewhere...

I ordered Rockin Body from the infomercials on tv this spring for $20 and have been working the dvd's about 3-4 times per week.

I also have been recording all my food intake...

With the Rockin Body dvd's they give you access to a website and a fitness coach...I had my calories set at 1200 thinking
    that was low enough to lose weight but she(coach) convinced me that you need to eat healthy....

I am so glad I found this site as it has really helped hold me accountable.

I've joined 2 fitness challenges for June ...1 on here and 1 on facebook and am working very hard to do both....(doing good so far)...

Hope everyone has a great weekend :drinker:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,757 Member
    Options
    well been up since 3:15 a.m.:noway:
    couldn't go back to sleep, working this morning, raining to beat the band here in Ct.will see how it goes. will check in later :flowerforyou: