5' 2" - ideal weight

Options

Replies

• DamarisKrisla
    DamarisKrisla Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Maybe around 99 -120 lbs, I don't know for sure but I am currently 99 pounds in my 5'2 frame but I still want to shape my belly. It depends how you view yourself, in Asia, women are just so tiny so I always feel so big. :smile: even when you have muscles they think you are big, I don't think they can distinguish between fat and muscles. :blushing:
    I think culture affects the ideal weight, as example, curvy girls look adorable in some culture but for some they are not.
    For me, as long as you exercise and eat clean, you will be in your ideal weight. Don't worry about people's thoughts. :wink:
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I've been 5'2" since I was 12 and was a professional dancer & taught dance when I grew up... Pretty much always weighed between 105-115. A couple of times I did break the 100 mark, but I ended up being really sick both times & I would be really scared if that ever happened again. My goal weight is to get back down to 109, just because I want that 1 pound brownie point.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    It depends on your build. According to BMI, the normal weight range is from 101-136 lbs. So if you're small framed, the ideal weight ranges from 101-121, medium is from 118-132 while large frame is from 128-141 lbs.

I'm also 5'2" but with a medium frame & weigh 55 kgs or close to 123 lbs. A few months ago, I went down to 53 kgs or 115 lbs. but with that weight, I looked very thin & sickly.

^^^^ THIS

get your body fat percentage measured, because you can't reliably measure frame size. If you know your body fat percentage, you can use this to calculate how much lean body mass you have, and how many lbs of fat you are carrying, and how much you will weigh at the body fat percentage you want. Much more reliable than just guessing what weight out of the entire BMI range is healthy and will look good for you.

I'm 5'1" and 130lb and 22% body fat (measured yesterday) - aiming for 20%bf and 105lb LBM. My lean body mass (around 101lb) is more than some women of my height's entire weight. There's no way I can get into the lower end of the BMI range and still be healthy. I'd have to lose about 20lb of muscle and bone density to do that. No way that's healthy.
  • healthyfingers
    Options
    I am around 5'2 and I am planning on being around 110 pounds, maybe lower if I am not happy with it. But I understand thats more extreme then most here. Its not about number, its how you feel and what your happy with,
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    This post is from 7-25-11, and it appears to be continually revived over the years.
  • newdanifit
    newdanifit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    im 5'2" 42 yrs old. my goal is 120 but am more happy when i get down to 116... though i just can't seem to maintain that. If I get lower i look ill. right now about 130 and not happy.
  • dancindoc508
    dancindoc508 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and my goal weight is 110-115!:) I'm starting to lift weights along with all of the cardio. Therefore, if my body looks good but the scale doesn't get down to 110 I'll be okay with that. I'm currently 121:)
  • Macksangelkat
    Options
    Phew - someone that I can relate to! I know I can't or won't ever see 115 again - nor do I want to - but I would like to get to 135 again...maybe even 130...but I am very muscular from all the biking, running, swimming and horseback riding I do - so being 'skinny' isn't going to ever happen
  • shinyrosa
    Options
    Ideal weight depends on your build and body fat percentage. Weight is a good jumping off point but not the only thing you should look at while moving towards a healthy you! Of course I'm like most people and just want to be skinny. I am currently 135 (down from 160) body fat currently 23.9. Size four pants and size 2 dress. Kept the weight off almost a year so far. There is no one size fits all formula for ideal weight.
  • Mollysantiagos
    Options
    I am 5'2" and I am currently 98 pounds. Is that an okay weight? Should I weigh less I feel fat.
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm a wee bit taller, 5'3 and my goal weight is 140. I'm currently 152. The top end of my "healthy" range is 130, but I'm not willing to sacrifice muscle to get there. My BMI is in the overweight range, halfway between healthy and obese, again to get in the "healthy" range I would sacrifice muscle.

I wear a size 4/6 US (8/10UK) at 152lbs- so I'm not bothered by the number on the scale. I've only lost 12lbs since Christmas, but gone down 2 sizes due to toning up.

ETA: BF% is currently 28, aiming for 24.
  • jellyjojo
    jellyjojo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I'm 5'2 and at 33 I couldn't contemplate being less than about 120lbs- I start to look quite scrawny. I think it has a lot to do with my age though as in my late teens/early twenties I was happier at around 112lb.

its all relative though- when you feel good about the way you look- it doesn't matter too much what the scales are saying :wink:
  • zinatara
    zinatara Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 5'3 and the last time I was 110 was when I was 20. At 33 I think his would be an unrealistic goal for me and something I wouldn't be able to maintain over time. My goal is to get down to 135 lbs and then see if I want to continue or if I'd rather want to build some muscle mass. I don't need to be really skinny, I want to be healthy and in good shape.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    I am 5'2" and I am currently 98 pounds. Is that an okay weight? Should I weigh less I feel fat.

what's your body fat percentage? What's your frame size? If you have a very tiny frame and a healthy body fat percentage it's okay. If you have a large frame then that weight is way too light. If your body fat percentage is below 15% then that may cause problems, especially if you also have very little lean body mass.

You can't say based on someone's height alone, what a healthy weight is for them. It depends on your frame size and how naturally muscular you are as well. I'm 5'1" know for a fact that weight would be seriously, possibly dangerously underweight for me, but I have a large frame and I'm naturally muscular. I know women of the same height as me who are totally healthy at that weight, because they naturally have a very tiny frame. And those women at my weight would probably be obese according to body fat percentage.

What I would say though, is if you "feel fat" at 98lb, then that feeling does not come from reality, and that's something you need to work on psychologically. Counselling may help. Also lifting weights and gaining some lean body mass may help you to feel more fit, toned and strong, rather than feeling "fat". Even a tiny framed person at 5'2" is nowhere near fat at 98lb. The only question is whether you are healthy, or underweight (possibly extremely underweight) at that weight.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Ideal weight depends on your build and body fat percentage. Weight is a good jumping off point but not the only thing you should look at while moving towards a healthy you! Of course I'm like most people and just want to be skinny. I am currently 135 (down from 160) body fat currently 23.9. Size four pants and size 2 dress. Kept the weight off almost a year so far. There is no one size fits all formula for ideal weight.

^^^^ totally this!!
  • BabyCerise
    BabyCerise Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"2 and 112 lbs ! 24,9% body fat
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    This post is from 7-25-11, and it appears to be continually revived over the years.

there appear to be a lot of short women who like to talk about this subject lol
  • jadermary
    jadermary Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm at 135-136 right now, I hope to get to 125.
  • vegibender
    Options
    I'm 5'2", too, and I weigh 109 pounds.
  • Djsgallagher
    Options
    I am 60 years old,5'2" with a small frame. My best weight is 107#. I am currently at 113 and will get to this ideal weight. I do not have wrinkles or bat wings. I intend to keep fit as I do yoga and walk at least 3 miles daily. Eating clean and staying hydrated are the reasons I don't have the wrinkles of my peers. It is up to you because you have power to be the best you can be. Because you are over a certain age, does not give you the go ahead to have excess weight. For every 10# over ideal, the pressure on the joints is like being 60# over. Think about it. I do not have any comorbidities such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol or arthritis. Hmm, looks like I'm doing it correctly. Just my thoughts and evidence.